• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT| Fresh Squids 2 Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgejjvr

In contrast to the Testfire, I got a hang of the controls much better this time. Or maybe it's just that I thought I was a roller type in the Testfire, but I'm really not. Also, I just love to wreak havok with the jet pack. Can't wait to have more people to play against.
How are people playing it already?

Also, can we pre load it on the eshop?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Message them and complain. Hard. They fucked me over a few times in the past, it's why I quit preordering games from Amazon.
I preordered today and I'm not getting my copy till next Wednesday. Wonder if its worth complaining to get 1 day shipping lol.

Patch13

I believe that some stores in Europe have it early, and I think that you can buy it off of the eShop if you have a Japanese or Australian account, seeing as it is tomorrow on that side of the world. :)

Arthos

Saw on Reddit that some individuals were able to buy the game digitally in Target and were able to redeem the code and download the game. Can anyone confirm?

I really want the physical version but with no Gamestops around me doing a midnight release, I might just do digital since I'm impatient.

Shahadan

I hope I won't get bored too quickly. I didn't even put one hour into both testfires because I couldn't shake off the feeling of "eh I've already played that"

packy34

Saw on Reddit that some individuals were able to buy the game digitally in Target and were able to redeem the code and download the game. Can anyone confirm?

I really want the physical version but with no Gamestops around me doing a midnight release, I might just do digital since I'm impatient.

I believe Nintendo has temporarily disabled the activation of retail codes already due to this.

Patch13

With motion controls the stick works only horizontal anymore but not vertical. If the stick would work both axis, then motion controls would make more sense and could be used as a dine tuning tool. Like in Zelda with the bow.

It takes some getting used to -- it took me maybe a week to make friends with it the first time around -- but the motion controls in Splatoon are actually really, really good. You use the thumbstick to make big movements, like quick turns, and you use the motion controls to fine tune your aim. It's a flick of the thumb followed by a twist of the wrists, and it feels good when you get it down.

Between that, and the movement options that involve popping in and out of the ink, the game can be pure kinesthetic joy to play. Like Titanfall, only even better, or Quake, but there's nothing that looks quite as silly as bunny hopping (though some blaster techniques come close).

ymmv, of course, but I think that you'll find that the controls make a lot of sense, and allow you to react much more quickly than you can in Zelda, once you get used to them.

Kalor

I decided to try out the charger and it's starting to grow on me. I don't like the special for it but holding your charge and popping out to splat someone is pretty fun.

derFeef

It takes some getting used to -- it took me maybe a week to make friends with it the first time around -- but the motion controls in Splatoon are actually really, really good. You use the thumbstick to make big movements, like quick turns, and you use the motion controls to fine tune your aim. It's a flick of the thumb followed by a twist of the wrists, and it feels good when you get it down.

Between that, and the movement options that involve popping in and out of the ink, the game can be pure kinesthetic joy to play. Like Titanfall, only even better, or Quake, but there's nothing that looks quite as silly as bunny hopping (though some blaster techniques come close).

ymmv, of course, but I think that you'll find that the controls make a lot of sense, and allow you to react much more quickly than you can in Zelda, once you get used to them.
I would agree if they would enable vertical stick movement as well.

Kanhir

I'm finding the charger great for ranked battles (especially Rainmaker), but not so much for Turf War. Is there any decent way to translate the charger's capabilities into actual ink coverage?

Any word on how many stages Salmon Run has?

I've seen two so far, Spawning Grounds and Marooner's Bay. They're the only ones listed in the upcomings, but there's no way of knowing if more are on the way.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Maybe it works in NA, but in Europe redeeming the code is blocked until midnight. How do I know? I have my damn download code since Monday.

OCD Guy

Fuck, just realised the game was out hours ago on the Australian eshop, well 7 hours ago actually. Should have bought it from there. Ah well not long to go now....

How exactly can we access another regions E-Shop? I assume it's like PSN and XBL where we have to make a dummy account, right? But once it's purchased and downloaded, we can hop in on our main account?

I ask because I've grown impatient and haven't payed yet so I may just buy from the Australian shop.

TheJoRu

Just anecdotally: It didn't happen for me this time, but sometimes the online stores here (Sweden) dispatch preorders early to ensure some unexpected delay in some deliveries won't result in the customer not getting the game on launch day. I live in a pretty good spot, so sometimes I've ended up getting games a day or two early.

Hasn't happened for a while though, so maybe distributors here have been putting the foot down on this (not good for physical retailers if getting games earlier from online stores is something people know about and base their choice of store on).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You look at a couple splatoon 2 vids on YouTube and suddenly your recommended several videos that has the final boss in the thumbnail despite your best efforts to avoid it

B00TE

You look at a couple splatoon 2 vids on YouTube and suddenly your recommended several videos that has the final boss in the thumbnail despite your best efforts to avoid it

I got that in my recommended videos while watching Fire Pro stuff. HOW?!

TheJoRu

YouTube ruined so many BotW surprises for me by recommending videos with spoilery titles/thumbnails. Hate it so much.

OCD Guy

How exactly can we access another regions E-Shop? I assume it's like PSN and XBL where we have to make a dummy account, right? But once it's purchased and downloaded, we can hop in on our main account?

I ask because I've grown impatient and haven't payed yet so I may just buy from the Australian shop.

Two ways.

One go to mynintendo.com log in with your existing account and change your region.

Second way create a new account with your region of your choice.

Some people have created multiple accounts so they can switch easily on the console. They then have purchases across their various accounts, which can be used with any profile. This method is similar to PSN where you have a US account, UK etc seperate and then select the profile you wish to play the software with.

OCD people like myself have a single account and log into mynintendo to change region each time, something you can't do on PSN unfortunately.

Things to bear in mind are that if you use a single account and use eshop credit, you can no longer change region if you have money left over, unless you contact Nintendo support. Before you could "forfeit" any outstanding credit when changing region. So imagine buying $60 worth of eshop credit, buying a game at $59.99, you're then fucked as you have 1 cent left over. The Nintendo support aren't always helpful when it comes to changing your region.

I just use a my bank card to make purchases as I can then pay the exact amount, however some region eshops don't accept cards from certain regions. US users are able to buy from Mexico for example using their bank card, but UK users find it awkward using UK cards on the US eshop. UK can buy from other regions in EU no issues at all, and South Africa is actually one of the cheapest with the current exchange rate. It's actually cheaper than buying from the US eshop.

Patch13

With motion controls the stick works only horizontal anymore but not vertical. If the stick would work both axis, then motion controls would make more sense and could be used as a dine tuning tool. Like in Zelda with the bow.

I would agree if they would enable vertical stick movement as well.

I get that :) But I think it's disabled deliberately -- they're trying to break you of the habit of aiming with the stick. That stick is really only there for turns; all the vertical stuff is in the motion controls, with the "y" button helping you to recenter if you get stuck aiming low or high.

(The "y" button is a critical piece of it working, btw, because gyro controls drift -- the other alternative is to only have gyro controls active while you're holding a button, as in Zelda, or touching a pad, as in the default gyro scheme for the Steam controller, though neither of those work quite as smoothly as a quick tap on "y".)

JJShadow

Just beat the first boss and first 5 levels and SP it's so much fun so far, each level introduce new mechanics and feel completely different from any other

Also, there is a Salmon Run scheduled for tomorrow

A lot of UK retailers (and Europe) usually ship their copies a few days in advanced just to ensure you get it on or before release date. I've managed to get some early copies a week before the official release date

Tiamant

First-timer here. How do I jump back to battle when respawning? I open the map with X, select a player but nothing happens :/

Patch13

First-timer here. How do I jump back to battle when respawning? I open the map with X, select a player but nothing happens :/

Hit "A" after you have someone selected.

Also, you can select people by tilting the controller, which saves you a button press (and also reveals that the map is actually a 3d object that looks cool when you tilt it).

derFeef

I get that :) But I think it's disabled deliberately -- they're trying to break you of the habit of aiming with the stick. That stick is really only there for turns; all the vertical stuff is in the motion controls, with the "y" button helping you to recenter if you get stuck aiming low or high.

(The "y" button is a critical piece of it working, btw, because gyro controls drift -- the other alternative is to only have gyro controls active while you're holding a button, as in Zelda, or touching a pad, as in the default gyro scheme for the Steam controller, though neither of those work quite as smoothly as a quick tap on "y".)

I will try some more but an option would be good. I like that rifle and sadly it's only usable with motion controls, but then I don't feel like I am in full control of it :-(

Patch13

I will try some more but an option would be good. I like that rifle and sadly it's only usable with motion controls, but then I don't feel like I am in full control of it :-(

With any luck (and steady hands), it will feel natural after some practice. Though with the Charger, don't forget that the ink that drops along your entire line of fire matters as much as the target at the end of it. You can lay down paths for you teammates, cut opposing paths in twain, and do all sorts of tricks with it. :)

It takes time, but trust me, when the motion controls click you can't live without them.

I think that it is better that you move only in one axis with the stick. It makes it easier to adjust your motions. One just needs to lose the old mindset and embrace new experiences.

Some are unable to do that, and luckily they can play in the inferior way. And that works ok and isn't gimped in any way.

OCD Guy

Do you guys know when will it go live in the EU eShop?

12am in your region. The likes of France, South Africa etc is live in 13 minutes, UK is 1hr13minutes. But I see zero reason buying from the UK if you're in the UK, as you're paying more with zero gain.

Regardless of what region you're in, it might be worth having a look at other regions and seeing how the exchange rate stacks up, your currency will be stronger than another countries so buy from that store.

Two ways.

One go to mynintendo.com log in with your existing account and change your region.

Second way create a new account with your region of your choice.

Some people have created multiple accounts so they can switch easily on the console. They then have purchases across their various accounts, which can be used with any profile. This method is similar to PSN where you have a US account, UK etc seperate and then select the profile you wish to play the software with.

OCD people like myself have a single account and log into mynintendo to change region each time, something you can't do on PSN unfortunately.

Things to bear in mind are that if you use a single account and use eshop credit, you can no longer change region if you have money left over, unless you contact Nintendo support. Before you could "forfeit" any outstanding credit when changing region. So imagine buying $60 worth of eshop credit, buying a game at $59.99, you're then fucked as you have 1 cent left over. The Nintendo support aren't always helpful when it comes to changing your region.

I just use a my bank card to make purchases as I can then pay the exact amount, however some region eshops don't accept cards from certain regions. US users are able to buy from Mexico for example using their bank card, but UK users find it awkward using UK cards on the US eshop. UK can buy from other regions in EU no issues at all, and South Africa is actually one of the cheapest with the current exchange rate. It's actually cheaper than buying from the US eshop.

I've also read that your digital version of the game is tied to Splatfests? So if you're in the US and buy the UK version, you'll always be in the UK for Splatfests.

Idk if this is true though

OCD Guy

I've also read that your digital version of the game is tied to Splatfests? So if you're in the US and buy the UK version, you'll always be in the UK for Splatfests.

Idk if this is true though

Yeah this is looking likely. However the splatfests are done by region, so an EU version will not make a difference as far as I know.

So a UK user won't suffer buying the EU version from South Africa for example.

I also believe a US user buying from ther Mexico eshop won't suffer either as they're both classed as NTSC-U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom