• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Single-Player trailer

atr0cious

Of course Callie has to run to the only people who still see some value in her, wrongly believing she's part of the reason the Squid Sisters were as good as they were.

So the playable character doesn't know who Marie is? Does that mean the Squid Sisters are finished? Guys i think we killed the Squid Sisters with that last splatfest :'(
It's a joke about how poorly the Wii U sold.

Someone will have to look over this more carefully, but from Sheldon's appearance in the trailer along with some of the weapons like the Inkbrush, I hope we get more loadout customization in the campaign than we did in the first game. What I expect is for specific stages to be designed around mastering one specific weapon, but I'd like to see some flexibility left to the player.

The copy beneath the YouTube video says:

Playing the first game's campaign with other weapons was pretty fun, glad they carried that over into the sequel. Maybe Sheldon's challenges are like the amiibo stages where you have to clear a level with the selected weapon.

It's a joke about how poorly the Wii U sold.

lmao, this is how I saw it too.

LAA

Campaign looks good... I enjoyed the first one and that even seemed like an almost last minute addition so have higher hopes for this.

I like that I still get the Mario Galaxy vibes from Splatoon single player stuff, first time around was short and sweet.

Yup I get SMG vibes from this too.

Should I play the Splatoon 1 single player first? Nobody had Wii U's, so I don't know if they expect us to know the first game in order to understand this one.

Regardless, the game looks dope. Day 1. Midnight.
Day 0?

Griss

The game looks like being SMG2 to the original's SMG. Broadly the same shit, but with enough new ideas and at such high quality that no one will mind.

Lijik

looks great, the unicycle boss has an amazing design lmai
hope the final boss is even half as good as the first one's

Damn son, dat platforming!
Boost pads, bouncy floors, giant unfurling carpets, and RAIL GRINDING!
Yesssss.
Also, I'm loving the fact that the different weapon types seem to actually be weaved into the campaign from the get go.
Great stuff, can't wait to play it! ^u^

Should I play the Splatoon 1 single player first? Nobody had Wii U's, so I don't know if they expect us to know the first game in order to understand this one.

Day 0?

You really don't have to based on the trailer (Hence Marie's "You've never heard of me?" comment). But it's a really fun time with some awesome bosses.

woopWOOP

Oh damn

I have a feeling they're gonna pull some sort of brainwash plot, but it'd be cool if they changed Callie into an actual villain

A.J.

Banned
The game looks good. Though I'm not sure how I feel about Marie now having the traditional Japanese aesthetic. I liked her pop design more.

TheSun

Welp, I always was on Callie's side, and if she really turned heel and left for the Octolings, then so should I. Viva la Octopus.

I expect the single player this time around to be more wacky. Hopefully it's longer than last time, even though a compact experience is still just as good.
Should be fun to see how they play with the ink mechanics this time around.

Lookin' good.

Kneefoil

I'm with Callie, tbh. Marie and all the Squid Kids with bad opinions need to be put down!

Plus, I mean, Octolings are pretty cool, too. It's still a bummer we couldn't play as them by legitimate means in the first game.

jdstorm

Banned

Day 0?

No, but if you have access to it, you should give it a go.

george_us

Oh God I don't think I can wait until the holidays to get a Switch. Splatoon 1's SP was fantastic and this looks even better.

I was Team Marie. I did this.

I feel nothing.

Day 0?

There wasn't a huge amount of story in Splatoon 1. Also over 4 million copies of Splatoon were sold.

The plaza looks so dead without Miiverse.

Indeed. During Splatfest, after Iwata's passing, the Paris attacks it was always fascinating to see so many posts/pictures about a singular event.

Plum

If this has just a bit more content than the first game (like, 5hrs-7hrs with more than one collectible per level) then it has the potential to be the top shooter campaign of the year. The level design and variety in the first game's singleplayer was amazing, this looks to only further that.

With the 2 of them "split" I wonder who will host splatfests this time...maybe we'll get another character? Or maybe the little Judd will be a co-host? Maybe guest hosts for each one??

Everything looked amazingly great except:

The plaza looks so dead without Miiverse.

Totally, Dena ruined the OS and now we are really going to feel it with Splatoon.

With the 2 of them "split" I wonder who will host splatfests this time...maybe we'll get another character? Or maybe the little Judd will be a co-host? Maybe guest hosts for each one??

Wouldnt be surprised splatfest come during fall, and that means that the majority of people would have complete story mode already, and the ending on that im 99% sure is Callie and Marie reuniting, so they basically are the hosts again. With Judd and small Judd doing maybe the "here is the stages now intro".

TheSun

Oh yeah, no more Miiverse.

They better be damn sure they got a good replacement.

If nothing than that'll suck bad and I'll riot or be disgruntled.

Oh, I forgot about that. So who is gonna replace them, or if they would be replaced at all.

GWX

This is JSRF and I'm fucking in love.

Also, looks like the game will run at 1080p/60fps docked :)

Saw a discussion in a different thread about it being 900p. Don't quote me on it, though.

Still, already looks so much cleaner than Splatoon 2. (Not so) secretly hoping Nintendo (and Switch) will have the guts to amp it up to 900p at least.

edit: wait, I was thinking about ARMS :lol Sorry for the mix-up.

D.Lo

You can really see the graphical upgrades too.

This is going to be crack, hopefully all Amiibos unlock challenges too I'll eat them all up.

Madao

So Callie is a roller main right? Expect the final boss to be a giant roller robot or something.

i hope she does something like this:

7c53UHE.jpg

hatchx

Banned
The entire presentation of this trailer is really odd to me. There's no music in the square, no one is really moving. Then the music during the gameplay reveal is so subdued.

Feel like it was intentional to give it some mystique or something, but yeah, did seem a bit odd and dead. Doesn't splatoon 2 have like an in-game posting thing, like miiverse?

J@hranimo

Banned
What makes you say that?

Saw a discussion in a different thread about it being 900p. Don't quote me on it, though.

Still, already looks so much cleaner than Splatoon 2. (Not so) secretly hoping Nintendo (and Switch) will have the guts to amp it up to 900p at least.

edit: wait, I was thinking about ARMS :lol Sorry for the mix-up.

All the trailers since the Salmon Run one for Splatoon 2 have had a 1080p setting on youtube, although...it could still be 900p. The first trailer only went up to 720p.

Regardless, the image quality has indeed improved :)

It looks even better than the first game's Campaign, holy shit look at all the crazy ideas and there's more variety in enemies and weapons to use. Can't wait.

ffdgh

So Callie is a roller main right? Expect the final boss to be a giant roller robot or something.

Wouldn't surprise me since that boss and an octoling were using a roller. Humorous to think they'd have probably had chargers instead if Marie lost.

Top Bottom