• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Single-Player trailer

phanphare

Banned
wait, so if Callie won the last Splatfest Marie would have been the villain?

I don't know why I just realized that

deepest lore

its almost as though mk8 is a racing game and splatoon is a shooter with ballistic weapons whose bullets cause transformations to the environment.

Sure but MK8's models are definitely a lot more detailed. Plus is the game play complexity really that much more advanced that it could account for having half the resolution? Keep in mind that handheld mode apparently frequently drops to like 544p.

zroid

Banned
Is there a higher-quality version of this? It's just slightly blurry when used as a wallpaper on my phone.

From the Splatoon tumblr

tumblr_inline_oq4cfm2txT1t4m0j9_1280.jpg

I think the gag about the player character not knowing of Marie is a nod to how niche the Wii U (and by extension the first Splatoon) was. Plus from what we know of the story so far it doesn't follow any story elements from the first game, instead being based off of a multiplayer event. I figure all relevant info from the first game will be explained in this one.

The first Splatoon sold 4 million copies. It's not a niche release

I think it's more a reference to the time that has passed and the Squid Sisters like former pop groups drifting out of public consciousness.

Yukinari

I like how Marie is so concerned with Callie that she doesnt realize her grandpa is either missing or dead.

I know its only been a few years story wise since the 1st game but im pretty sure hes dead.

forrest

formerly nacire
I'm curious if this mode will have enough content to be worth 60 dollars. Not sure I'm going to pay nintendo for online services yet so I'm a bit torn on multilayer focused titles. Can you play with bots offline?

I'm curious if this mode will have enough content to be worth 60 dollars. Not sure I'm going to pay nintendo for online services yet so I'm a bit torn on multilayer focused titles. Can you play with bots offline?

There's also a horde mode in addition to the main story levels.

ryechu

Sure but MK8's models are definitely a lot more detailed. Plus is the game play complexity really that much more advanced that it could account for having half the resolution? Keep in mind that handheld mode apparently frequently drops to like 544p.

yes. it obviously is.

atr0cious

Every shot of ink is physics based, yes it's more complex.

The complexity in the level and enemy design seems to have taken another step up which is awesome. Levels in the original game were good but I like that now that the base has been established the designers can get to work making cool combinations.

Now that Mario Odyssey is going toward a more expressive adventure style, it's nice that the linear and rather tightly-designed 3D platforming experience is preserved in Splatoon's Campaign.

Waji

Can that mode be played solo/offline/locally only?

Yeah I'm excited about that mode as it looked pretty cool. I wonder how difficult it will be playing salmon run solo.
That's the thing.
From what I saw on the official website it was described as 2 to 4 players.
So local is possible, but you'd need at least 2 switches to play it.

The rest would force anyone to have 8 switches.
However it feels weird to imagine that 5 to 7 players couldn't play together, just because they are more than 4 and less than 8.
Does it mean they can only do 4 and 3 players Salmon mode and nothing else ?

Seems weird to me and I'd really love, so much, to get bots or any way to play more stuff than the Hero Mode, with only one Switch.
That's the only thing that keeps me waiting to know if I'll keep my preorder or not.

I want to play the game so much, but wouldn't like to 99% rely only on online. Seems bad to me that the game couldn't offer more for ONE Switch if not paying for online.
It's like buying a game and not being able to play it. It needs bots, even with bad AI, at least we can play.
I'm not holding my breath, but I think it would be awesome. Something like Smash.

Neiteio

I went from being mildly excited for Splatoon 2 to MAXIMUM HYPE OVERDRIVE. I need the new Hero Mode... Need it!

I keep re-watching the trailer... And a few things continue to stand out:

- Everything seems more COLORFUL, with dramatic contrasts. This includes some shadowy levels where the colors truly POP as you grind rails, whizzing past snipers with laser sights or flying drones with searchlights. I know I keep talking about "colorful darkness" on this forum. Splatoon 2 really nails it.

- Everything is weirder than before. Like, the Octarians were always wonderfully weird, but here, they're even WEIRDER. We see them popping out of holes in bowling bowls... Or squeezing out of square-shaped holes in a tower, now square-shaped themselves, like fish popping out of tuna cans... We even see a hefty one, scooting around on a comically undersized unicycle. They've fully embraced the bizarreness, and it's beautiful!

- Everything seems more detailed, creating a stronger sense of place. Like for example, there's a full-blown beachfront property set on a bright blue sea with intricate boardwalks running along it. The world of Octo Valley is still abstract, but Splatoon 2 strikes a better balance, it seems, in terms of defining each stage's "personality" within it. This includes the great atmosphere in the dusky-looking stages.

- Everything seems more ACTION-PACKED. The super-sized geysers demolishing stacks of bowling balls; the rails you grind along while jumping and shooting; the rolled-up carpets you can shoot to unroll and flatten enemies; the Banzai Bill-esque missiles and snipers and gatling gunners all firing at the protagonist; the duels with the Octoling in ink-splattered black-light arenas.

It just looks FUN. And now that we have access to pretty much the full arsenal of weaponry (rather than just the Splattershot, or with the amiibo, the Roller and Charger), I think they'll create each more fun scenarios built around the many different play-styles available in this game. The variety should be pretty impressive this time around. Splatoon 1's Hero Mode was excellent, not overstaying its welcome but offering lots of bite-sized variety that was fun and replayable. I think Splatoon 2's Hero Mode will be even better. :)

Now that Mario Odyssey is going toward a more expressive adventure style, it's nice that the linear and rather tightly-designed 3D platforming experience is preserved in Splatoon's Campaign.

That's why I'm so excited to get my hands on Splatoon 2's single player mode, and why I'm a little less bummed about 3D Mario being an explorative sandbox collectathon thing again.
I LOVE linear, tightly focused moment to moment 3D platformers with an intro>development>twist>conclusion structure.

They showed enough awesome looking new mechanics in the trailer to give me confidence that they're really attempting stepping their game up (which is awesome considering how creative and fun the first game's single player platforming-focused campaign was)! ^u^

Geg

It could be hinting at that, but I'm pretty sure all the bosses in the first Splatoon had that same mark on their tentacle weak spots. I know at least the first one did.

BTA

I'm not as into this trailer as I was for the original's single player trailer- I think the music (the remix?) in this trailer isn't doing it for me as much. But I'm still pretty into it!

Though I am kinda sad that it seems like we're playing as a brand new Inkling, rather than continuing from the original...?

EDIT: The latest Squid Sisters chapter says the snow globe's broken, so Octavio's probably back. Which is great news; I loved his character and that fight.

TheSun

I wonder if Grizzco is gonna factor into the deep lore of single player.

Let's see what shenanigans Octavio has gotten my spiritual liege Callie (praise her!) into. Was it mind control or just very good persuasion skills at work.

Also hope the bosses are cooler too.

Kicko

so Octavio ate Callie/fused with Callie?

No, they're just collaborating on a 'dope' LP, or a form of auditory brainwashing similar to today's popular music. When listened to it makes all impressionable Inklings feel the need to rebel, drop their favoritism for Marie and join the Octarian cause. This is Callie's "Kanye moment" or her "get back" after being betrayed by the general public who overwhelmingly sided with Marie for the last Splatfest. It'll take Marie with her more artistic approach to the medium to combat the soulless easily digestible drivel from the Callie/Octavio duo. Your job is to defeat Callie and Octavio by delivering and playing Marie's latest record on Octavio's booming sound system. Upon hearing it, Octavio will throw a conniption ultimately defeating himself, while everyone else will come to their senses. Callie, remembering what it's like to make quality music, decides to rejoin her cousin Marie as Squid Sisters. Callie learns a valuable lesson about humility and contentment. Even though she's not everyone's favorite, she is still loved.

Cerium

In her private rage at being scorned by you, the players, Callie decided to seek revenge against society itself by freeing Octavio and stealing the Zapfish.

You think you're rescuing Callie from Octavio all the way up until you defeat him, and in a final twist discover that it was Callie pulling Octavio's strings and not the other way around.

Top Bottom