• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Testfire Thread: This is a port...able game now

Kudo

Excellent reply and in no way a shitpost. Thanks for your contribution.

I haven't seen anyone else mention the weird blocky fingers in the results screen when you see a close-up of your avatar. Am I the only person bothered by that?

I noticed it too but didn't bother me TOO much, I just hope they up the resolution for docked mode before release.

//DEVIL//

I got to play 2 games. I might buy it under the condition i can disable the stupid motion control. Otherwise its a pass from me

Jintor

People are sleeping on this thing because they can't run up with it at all times. Get behind cover and just let it rip from six billion feet away. It's great and really silly for locking down spawn. I could also see applications where people use it as hitscan for callouts.

If echolocator or sensor bombs are still in jetspray is going to get a lot of play. Fire and forget

ChrisD

I got to play 2 games. I might buy it under the condition i can disable the stupid motion control. Otherwise its a pass from me

You can disable them, even in the Testfire. But I strongly urge you to give them a good shot before writing off for good.

I could only manage to connect to three games in one hour and only could complete one without being disconnected. At this point I have to assume something is wrong on my end, anyone with some useful link?
;(

Wifi, can't do ethernet.

Have you tried manually entering DNS?

Supposedly not in the demo version but will be in the final.

Trust me, it is absolutely in the demo, from what I played today.

Like I said, though, the split Joy-Con setup is where you really feel it. I'm surprised they're promoting the Pro Controller and attached handheld mode as the standard control configurations when, from my prior experience with both, the rumble isn't much of a presence.

Like I said, though, the split Joy-Con setup is where you really feel it. I'm surprised they're promoting the Pro Controller and attached handheld mode as the standard control configurations when, from my prior experience with both, the rumble isn't much of a presence.

Yeh I could barely feel Rumble with the Pro Controller and I couldn't tell if it was just regular Rumble or HD.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I played 11 matches with no disconnection except at the end of the session . 7-4 wins, got the best score in 8 games (2 of them when we lost). It was as great as the first time playing Splatoon.

I had some troubles pressing X to jump and with the new map mode and respawn but got used to it by the end of the session. Still miss having the map on the Gamepad all the time.

Actually the wireless on the 5 Ghz band works pretty damn well.

Shout-out to Jackano who was in my first 3 matches I think.

DjRalford

How many times did people hit X for jump.

After many many hours on Splatoon It got me killed at least a dozen times in the test tonight, good fun though and me and the daughter even managed to get into the same lobby a few times as she played portable and me on the TV.

Kudo

I'm genuinely surprised by how many people can't get to grips with the motion controls, they're so easy to use.

Just throws me off somehow, I tried few rounds but can't get used to them that fast so I just played with analog to get feel for the game.
Might have to give them some time as lot of people recommend them but we'll see.

I'm genuinely surprised by how many people can't get to grips with the motion controls, they're so easy to use.

I feel like there was a similar mentality when Splatoon first came out. Gyro isn't something you're typically used to so it's easy to blame any initial difficulties on, "Ugh, motion controls."

Tangeroo

Seriously. More importantly, once you become comfortable with them (took me about 3 matches in the original Splatoon), you will stomp all over players who don't use it. They can't adjust their aim nearly as fast as players who gyro.

Perfect matches, no disconnects. This feels so good to play again and I really like not having a bulky pad in my hands to shoot with. Shooting feels much smoother/precise too, like I wasn't swinging around the controller as I did in the first game.

My complaint is mostly with the map system. There needs to be some kind of minimap or simple map that gives an indication about where enemy territory is. Bringing up the map now completely stops play and takes a minute to figure out where you are.

Dashing with the dual set is really fun. But I'm still going to love using the brush or roller (in this case) I think. That blast wave special is great.

atr0cious

Just throws me off somehow, I tried few rounds but can't get used to them that fast so I just played with analog to get feel for the game.
Might have to give them some time as lot of people recommend them but we'll see.
Wait until release, then play the campaign with them. It's the quickest and easiest way to learn with no pressure of letting your team down. Plus, if the first one is any indication, we're in for an amazing single player as well.

Interesting, I'll have to try both then. I remember someone on gaf just posted a thread a few days ago about how much stronger the hd rumble is in the joycons.

There was a learning curve for me in Splatoon 1, but after about a day of play I got used to it. Unfortunately I had to go back to analog controls because it was messing me up in Call of Duty

Lucifon

I despise gyro controls on games. I really really do not enjoy using it as a primary control method.

I think what makes Splatoons worse is the aiming with the stick on the X axis plus gyro combo. If they defaulted to something closer to Zelda I feel like a lot more people would use it.

I also think forcing it upon people is a dumb idea. They did it on the first game too. No mention of "do you want to keep using motion controls?". That said the game plays great on the pro controller with sensitivity reduced.

bryanee

Seriously. More importantly, once you become comfortable with them (took me about 3 matches in the original Splatoon), you will stomp all over players who don't use it. They can't adjust their aim nearly as fast as players who gyro.

What nonsense. Never been stomped in Splatoon for not using gyro controls.

Kudo

Wait until release, then play the campaign with them. It's the quickest and easiest way to learn with no pressure of letting your team down. Plus, if the first one is any indication, we're in for an amazing single player as well.

I actually have to play the first one too, I'm not sure the person I'm lending it from has the Wii U Pro Controller but might play it with that + motion controls if he does have it.
Or does the first one support that in campaign?

Steiner

Banned

This man speaks the truth, and that is great advice. The campaign in the original is where I finally converted to gyro controls after MONTHS of using the sticks, and hoo boy did my scores and splats make a big leap upward.

I actually have to play the first one too, I'm not sure the person I'm lending it from has the Wii U Pro Controller but might play it with that + motion controls if he does have it.
Or does the first one support that in campaign?

You'll have to use the game pad.

The trick is to use both the stick and gyro. Stick = wider movements/turns, gyro = smaller movements/refining

I despise gyro controls on games. I really really do not enjoy using it as a primary control method.

I think what makes Splatoons worse is the aiming with the stick on the X axis plus gyro combo. If they defaulted to something closer to Zelda I feel like a lot more people would use it.

I also think forcing it upon people is a dumb idea. They did it on the first game too. No mention of "do you want to keep using motion controls?". That said the game plays great on the pro controller with sensitivity reduced.

they dont force motion controls you have always been able to turn them off even in this test fire.

CO_Andy

Playing with with Joycons w/ Grip doesn't feel all that great in a fast-paced action game like Splatoon. The left stick being so high up and the strange shape of the ZL & ZR buttons... not good.

Gonna try split controls in the next testfire.

roytheone

Maybe it's better in docked mode, but it felt really weird to me in handheld mode. And I actually really like them in Zelda,but here it just felt... bad to play.

I'm not sure how they're forcing it upon people? If you don't want to use it, turn it off...

Lucifon

they dont force motion controls you have always been able to turn them off even in this test fire.

But it's buried and never indicates to the player that you can disable them. You also can't adjust settings mid game. When it's something as common as invert you don't need to tell the player, but most gamers have played shooters with sticks for generations, you should ease people in to your new method not throw it at them.

JonnyKong

Maybe it's better in docked mode, but it felt really weird to me in handheld mode. And I actually really like them in Zelda,but here it just felt... bad to play.

It's because the right analogue stick is awkwardly placed. When you use the gyro controls on this game, you have to marry them alongside controlling the camera at the same time, and my one handheld game felt off cos I felt like I couldn't reach the jump button very easily from the camera button.

It was much easier with the pro controller I felt.

J@hranimo

Banned
Even though I primarily use gyro motion controls I think I'm gonna try using just sticks tonight. Tomorrow I might try in handheld mode too.

Some random thoughts:

Docked is definitely 720p. I think they can get it up to at least 900p docked by release.

All weapons feel pretty good to use. Favorite special is Splashdown and least favorite is Stingray, but I think in the right hands it'll be fine.

Splattershot is even better now because the Tenta Missiles are great at killing, being your own echolocator or just getting a little more turf before the game is over.

Jumping felt natural thanks to changing B to jump in Zelda, although sometimes I drifted my right thumb to the top right of my controller lol.

Splat Dualies feel pretty balanced. Curling bomb is great when you get the cooking just right when throwing it. Inkjet definitely felt weaker than what I was expecting but can be good when in the right hands.

The roller....Hoo boy is that my favorite weapon to use so far. The speed up when rolling, the longer jump flick, the coverage of ink it when doing normal flicks! It left a way better impression compared to Splatoon 1 Testfire. I'm really looking forward to the other variants it gets. And no, it is not OP new players haha. Get your spacing right when facing them and rollers get shutdown easily.

The Reef. Very happy with the changes compared to the reveal in January.

Musselforge Fitness. Cool map so far, I suck with charger on it XD. great roller map where you can skillfully get those jump flick splats.

All in all, Music is great, art style is strong as usual, controls are great and inkjet exhaust can kill you lol. Need to play more in different control methods. Can I have this full game now Nintendo? Thanks.

Top Bottom