• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Testfire Thread: This is a port...able game now

Rodin

Graphics:
Not a big upgrade over Splatoon 1 and there's a weird filter over it, might just be AA or something. Disliked the washed out look it gave the game on my tv. I remember Splatoon looking more crisp. The new visual details in the maps and on the characters are nice though.

Overall a fun time, looking forward to the next hour.
Check the gamma on both your tv and Switch. Colors really pop on my OLED in docked mode, the palette they used is stunning.

Hope they'll bump it to 1080p or at least 900p for docked mode though, there really is no reason for this to be 720p in both modes.

Hope df gets to test power consumption in both modes so that we can know if it's using portable clocks even when docked.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
LOL.png

Possibly an even better way to kill someone than Sprinklers or the fan propellers on AnchoV. Absolutely Quality.

Analysis and notes of my viewing to come soon. :)

DKL

It's a mix of both which is kinda weird at first

Honestly it's not that simple, specially once ranked comes around and ambushes become more viable. It's burst dmg from a good player is crazy. Range is meh tho. Def going to be the agressive high skill ceiling weapon type of the game

I'm THIS sure people will only spam it during testfire as opposed to using it for more intelligent maneuverability lol

But yeah, I see the potential for the thing.

Graphics:
Not a big upgrade over Splatoon 1 and there's a weird filter over it, might just be AA or something. Disliked the washed out look it gave the game on my tv. I remember Splatoon looking more crisp. The new visual details in the maps and on the characters are nice though.

Overall a fun time, looking forward to the next hour.

Eh, game didn't looked washed out at all on my set. Seems like something may be wrong with your tv/switch settings.

The new inkling look is fairly distracting. I am not sure on whether I like clearly displaying your enemies team and their each individual inkling's weapon type on the top of your HUD. It means everyone can tell if there is a roller (and more importantly, Inkbrusher) lurking if you carefully assess your map before advancing.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Testfire running at 720p or 1080p? I played it and thought the IQ looked about as good as I'd expect (1080p with no AA), but perhaps it was 720p and I'm terrible at telling things.

guek

Banned
Does that really matter in making the game fun? If it was 540p and still an awesome game, would that be a bad thing?

In making the game fun? No, In making the game more enjoyable, sure. I'm a huge fan of Splatoon and put in over 100hrs on Wii U so don't get me wrong here, but a higher native resolution would still be a welcome change.

AndrewPL

I played something like 150h of Splatoon on Wii U.
This feels a bit too samey for me tbh.

Lucky this isn't the full game then!

Expect the full game to have more weapons and a single player add on with more multiplayer game modes. Don't expect the core game to change.

Is the Testfire running at 720p or 1080p? I played it and thought the IQ looked about as good as I'd expect (1080p with no AA), but perhaps it was 720p and I'm terrible at telling things.

Definitely seemed like it was 720p to me. The vibrant colors really help the IQ in motion though, IMO.

Jintor

By faceroll, I mean autopilot, like using Vergil in UMVC3. I think only the dualies have that dodge roll thing, which I haven't played yet, but I'm assuming you're vulnerable for a few frames after exhausting your rolls.... can someone confirm lol

yeah dodge has like a second or a second and a half of recovery movement. you can still shoot and bomb though during that time, and i think you can cancel into a roll from recovery as well

So my impressions:

Fuck yeah! FINALLY Splatoon on a portable.

Holy fuck I was not prepared for HD Rumble.

Like the new sub weapons.

Jetpack and jump up and down specials are good. Didn't like the others.

I still suck and will never use snipers.

Were there any differences in the map? They seemed exactly the same except for look.

You can't camp the enemy's spawn point anymore. WHY!!!!

Thankfully Splatbagging is still in

No touch screen for map is weird, but when i discovered i could tilt I was ready to go.

Still just "come here" and "booyah" are you serious Nintendo? Dumbest decision they made all year. -_-

Splat Dualies are amazing. The jump attack is amazing.

Now Nintendo. You need to release this game tomorrow already. I NEED IT NOW!!

PORTABLE!!

Moondrop

Banned
I achieved splats with everything new: dualies, jumping roller, ninja charger, curling bomb, and all specials. The most satisfying was ninja charger- that plus squiffer is going to be amazing. Second was inkjet. Dead last was sting ray, although it turned at a decent speed if I swung my whole pro controller around.

Rodin

Pretty sure it was 720p no AA, i'm in bed with the flu, my pillow is ~3 meters from the TV and i could see jaggies. It's also a calibrated OLED set so there are no overkill settings that can add more jaggies or artifacts.

Like i said it would be nice if DF could test the power consumption of both modes to see if it's the same, because it would indicate that the game is using undocked clocks even when docked.

B00TE

Im glad I have Nier atm, I'd be going crazy xD

I have Mass Effect Andromeda, but I still feel like I need a few to come down from the splatoon hype lol.

Interested to see what variations of the dualies we see come out in the full game (assuming there will be a few).

Jintor

i was wrong about the jetspray by the way. It's no area denial Wail but it is fucking terrifying to see that thing lance through three walls and slowly move in your direction

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely seemed like it was 720p to me. The vibrant colors really help the IQ in motion though, IMO.

Pretty sure it was 720p no AA, i'm in bed with the flu, my pillow is ~3 meters from the TV and i could see jaggies. It's also a calibrated OLED set so there are no overkill settings that can add more jaggies or artifacts.

Like i said it would be nice if DF could test the power consumption of both modes to see if it's the same, because it would indicate that the game is using undocked clocks even when docked.

This makes sense. Hopefully we get word soon if the final game will run at a higher resolution when docked.

I would be absolutely shocked if it was 1080p. Certainly didn't look that way to me.

I have a relatively small TV and my eyes are not really trained to see the difference between 720p and 1080p except in direct comparisons, so you're probably right. MK8D's IQ is going to blow my mind if I thought this looked good. :p

VanWinkle

I would be absolutely shocked if it was 1080p. Certainly didn't look that way to me.

MrPanic

Eh, game didn't looked washed out at all on my set. Seems like something may be wrong with your tv/switch settings.

Check the gamma on both your tv and Switch. Colors really pop on my OLED in docked mode, the palette they used is stunning.

Do you have RGB range set up correctly on both your TV and Switch? I can't imagine anyone describing the game I just played as washed out.

I'll look into it then. I have noticed the switch specifically not looking that good on my tv compared to my other consoles, so there might be something to fix there.

edit: Wth, automatic RGB range put the Switch on limited range? Wow, putting it on full makes quite the difference.

Zedark

So my impressions:

Fuck yeah! FINALLY Splatoon on a portable.

Holy fuck I was not prepared for HD Rumble.

Like the new sub weapons.

Jetpack and jump up and down specials are good. Didn't like the others.

I still suck and will never use snipers.

Were there any differences in the map? They seemed exactly the same except for look.

You can't camp the enemy's spawn point anymore. WHY!!!!

Thankfully Splatbagging is still in

No touch screen for map is weird, but when i discovered i could tilt I was ready to go.

Still just "come here" and "booyah" are you serious Nintendo? Dumbest decision they made all year. -_-

Splat Dualies are amazing. The jump attack is amazing.

Now Nintendo. You need to release this game tomorrow already. I NEED IT NOW!!

PORTABLE!!
What was HD Rumble like? When and how did it kick in? Wasn't able to play the testfire sadly.

B00TE

i was wrong about the jetspray by the way. It's no area denial Wail but it is fucking terrifying to see that thing lance through three walls and slowly move in your direction

I had one instance where the beam was chasing me around the top middle part of the fitness map, just skimming over my head. It was terrifying.

Speaking of terrifying, chargers being able to squid and hold the charge is just insane. That's gonna get disgusting real quick lol.

Ansatz

Impressions - I played with the tentatek for the full duration

- its special is basically an inkstrike in terms of functionality: easily avoided by the enemy, but it harasses and forces them out of position to open up time/space for your team + I really like how it leaves ink behind even if nobody is killed by it. You can also bait people with it since you're vulnerable to attacks during the animation so they try to swim up to you for an easy splat... :p

- portable mode controls > pro controller, however portable mode is vomit inducing since the screen is moving constantly back & forth. It's not at all like aiming in Zelda.

- the maps are way too compact and basically only consist of the mid area of previous Splatoon maps, and the safe exits from the base leading to mid are way too wide which means base camping is much harder since you have to cover a wide perimeter. You can't solo base camp anymore.

- not much else to add, the rest felt very similar to the original. I experienced no lag/disconnect personally. Honestly the tentatek feels OP atm, but hey let's give rollers and chargers some time to learn the new mechanics before making any statements about game balance.

bonus: I was constantly looking down on my screen-less pro controller to get a quick glance of the map lmao... :(

What was HD Rumble like? When and how did it kick in? Wasn't able to play the testfire sadly.
You could feel yourself swimming in ink. And I think when a bomb or something goes off I could tell which direction it was in by the rumble. First time experiencing hd rumble since I only have Zelda. Quite happy with it!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I have Mass Effect Andromeda, but I still feel like I need a few to come down from the splatoon hype lol.

Interested to see what variations of the dualies we see come out in the full game (assuming there will be a few).

Mines or Disruptor would be ideal imo

Azure J

People are sleeping on this thing because they can't run up with it at all times. Get behind cover and just let it rip from six billion feet away. It's great and really silly for locking down spawn. I could also see applications where people use it as hitscan for callouts.

Quoting myself from earlier:

HD Rumble is a palpable presence. I didn't notice it at all at the Switch preview event, but today I started noticing things like a forward ripple when a teammate activates a jump next to you, a directional sensation based on whether they are to your left or right. The vibration of bombs going off also seems directional.

It's pretty noticeable with split Joy-Cons, though maybe not as much in the other control configurations. I was at a Switch preview event where I tried games like 1-2 Switch (and Splatoon 2 in the other control modes without picking up on the rumble at all), but playing Splatoon 2 today felt like understanding HD Rumble for the first time. It's a standard rumble vibration, roughly, but you can distinguish left from right and discern movement back to front or front to back.

Steiner

Banned
Roller is OP cuz u suck

Excellent reply and in no way a shitpost. Thanks for your contribution.

I haven't seen anyone else mention the weird blocky fingers in the results screen when you see a close-up of your avatar. Am I the only person bothered by that?

Shahadan

I could only manage to connect to three games in one hour and only could complete one without being disconnected. At this point I have to assume something is wrong on my end, anyone with some useful link?
;(

Wifi, can't do ethernet.

Top Bottom