• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Testfire Thread: This is a port...able game now

Jintor

everyone should test out diving from jetpack next round and see if it changes your strats

i was stalking a jetpack user who didn't notice me for like 20 seconds as a charger but my aim is so shithouse i didn't get anywhere ;___;

DKL

Didn't get one last game, pls.

That said... not sure how I feel about the change to roller.

If I would classify it, I would classify it as a nerf, but this is highly dependent on how much damage can be done at the tip of jump flick.

(not like we can test it right now)

I mean, it feels less autopilot, which is probably a good thing :v

All I know is, I have to actually aim, which I'm not accustomed to doing with rollers lol

I was playing around with dualies and the benefit of it (roll) was kind of lost on me since I never bothered to use it lol

(I think I did it once and holy jesus is the recovery long if you don't do anything to cancel it)

Gonna wake up 4-5am or whatever for the next one.

13ruce

Banned
I need this game now:( one of the most fun multiolayer ges i ever played and being able to play it in your hand omg.....

Can't wait for mario kart 8 in april now also online in tabletop/portable mode.

Reckoner

I played about 2 full matches(both of them were 4v1??), the other 14 or so had communication errors at some point. Judging by the rest of the thread this wasn't common. Should I assume it's my Wi-Fi?

It's probably server related. Got a disconnect during the first session. The same happened on the Wii U. Don't worry.

DMONKUMA

So from my play session:

-Gyro aiming was good on portable(I had a bit of trouble in the first few matches but I got the hang of it)

-Game looks really nice on screen

-Gameplay itself was pretty alright(again got to get use to it)

Overall it was great. Except Splatrollers, fuck splatrollers.

Edit:I was also playing very defensively in this game since I had no idea how the game played.

Playing this made me realise how much I dislike the Joy-Con sticks. I noticed it while playing Zelda, and considered that might just be how they calibrated them for that game, but no, the precision is just not up to par.

Kindekuma

Banned
Feels good to be back.

LPPIe1o.jpg

I played about 2 full matches(both of them were 4v1??), the other 14 or so had communication errors at some point. Judging by the rest of the thread this wasn't common. Should I assume it's my Wi-Fi?

Seems like some people are having this issue and others are not. I've had absolutely 0 issues myself. Been able to hop right in and have not disconnected at all. Playing over my WiFi as well.

CDX

Yay. A few hours ago during the first Testfire, I was almost always last place in points, even if I was on the winning team.

This time I got first or second place in points nearly every time. So I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Also, I noticed it took a lot longer to get 8 players for the battles to start this time. Last time it was always almost instantaneous for me, this time I had to wait awhile for the battles to start.

My internet and connection was rock solid both times though. Had ZERO errors either time.

ggx2ac

Pro Controller is good.

Had trouble aiming in handheld mode but then increasing the tilt sensitivity and R stick sensitivity fixed it up.

tsundoku

Ranked mode is a lot better, there are map objectives and the ink is a form of advancement and area denial vs the spray everything nature of normal mode

General mobility tips are to flick upwards with a quick spray then go right back into squid mode as that is way higher mobility
except no
ink is a form of area denial and control and mobility and also your control point in normal mode

the ranked modes are all tunnel vision trash in splatoon 1 that cram eight laggy squidkids into one bomb rush addled 15 fps tiny corner of the map

really hoping for significantly far better thought out ranked modes this time

exfatal

Was finally able to play the test fire. All my matches were perfect lag free. no disconnects except for 1. but was losing anyways soo meh lol. Cant wait till full game comes out. Joy-cons separate in both hands is way to go for gyro aiming, also duelies is my new fav gun

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah.... I think between that and the motions controls.... just didn't last too long.
You can disable them, or do what I do drop the sensitivity almost as far down as you can like -4 I think I had it at
except no
ink is a form of area denial and control and mobility and also your control point in normal mode

the ranked modes are all tunnel vision trash in splatoon 1 that cram eight laggy squidkids into one bomb rush addled 15 fps tiny corner of the map

really hoping for significantly far better thought out ranked modes this time
This is what it looks like when people don't know what they are talking about :)

Halfmunch

Soooooo good, motion controls in handheld and console mode destroys! Anybody having trouble with the motion controls hang in there~ It's the best way to get better at aiming in my opinion.

I was able to play 11-12 games. Only had one disconnect but then I was able to start up a new game right away.
First time playing, what a blast!!! Such a simple task and it's so much fun. I'm not very good and don't know anything about special attacks. I'm still getting used to the controls and stuff. But I had a lot of fun. Will definitely be purchasing Day 1.

marrec

Banned
Pro Controller is good.

Had trouble aiming in handheld mode but then increasing the tilt sensitivity and R stick sensitivity fixed it up.

Yep that's what I did, tilt sensitivity way up, R sensitivity a bit up.

That said, don't try to play while walking, holy shit

Busaiku

Was anyone else able to get a game in after the hour?
Got in at 11:03 CDT and played a full game, though my team got 2 DCs.

Jintor

the dodgerolls are amazing btw, i can't wait until we get dualies varients. I think they've split off the splattershot jnr niche into its own category i would guess.

there was a match where it was literally 2 v 2 dodgeroll heaven, everyone just trying to get behind everyone else. we all got shanked by two inkzookers who flew in, but it was fun while it lasted

daffy

Banned
Tried to play using a 4G LTE hotspot with my phone for the first time. Works perfectly. No lag at all and I actually had no connection errors unlike when i used my work WiFi earlier today. Good to know that i have that option now if I decide to buy Arms and play on the go.

Good times. Really happy with this game. It's already super polished. I don't think it will release until August though :/

Shizza

Alright, this game is pretty fun! Might have to pick it up when it releases.

I suppose I could play the original in the meantime, since it's sitting on my shelf, still in the wrapper...don't judge me

Got to keep playing a whole 7 mins after the testfire was supposed to end. I haven't really played Splatoon at all since the year it came out, so I forgot just how fun it is. I think there are two more of these I can actually participate in so I'll probably play in both of those too.

I played a ton of Splatoon using analog controls and consistently was first or second on winning teams.

In what modes, though? And at what rank? Not trying to be a dick, but in the competitive scene it was a pretty rare to see an analog user and I can't imagine many people I'd see in S and S+ werent using motion, given how fast some were moving.

To each their own, I guess, and I mean even some competitive fighter players use pads instead of sticks, but you'd be better off learning gyro. I was against it at first, but it made all the difference once I embraced it. It only took me a couple hours to fully learn, and, honestly, I wish all console shooters let me do it.

An hour of attempts and I only had ONE game without a connection error.

For context, I only had one match with a connection error in the first stress test earlier today.

Ugh finally got kicked. Had a lot of fun. As someone new to the game It took me a while to get use to it, but I like it enough that'll try to wake up early for tomorrow mornings testfire. I started out liking the concept, but not really knowing if it was for me to maybe a purchase.

HeroR

Ending on a lost with less than 2%. That hurts.

Overall, it is just as good as I thought. I had to restart my Switch to get on the server, but after that I had no DCs and all the matches happened quick. My only gripe, I miss the map from the Gamepad. Pressing a button to see the map in the middle of a match instead of just quickly looking down sucks.

That's definitely some Splatoon there!

Also, really great on the Switch. I got in some TV mode, Handheld, and Tabletop mode game time. Really glad to see Nintendo sticking with this series.

This was my first experience with Splatoon in multiplayer, and it was a blast. I need to get used to the aiming based on motion, and the aiming seemed off and no matter how much I hit Y, it never recalibrated to the position I was laying in, in bed.

Had no network issues at all. It was smooth, fast, and joyous, something I didn't think I'd say of a handheld, wireless multiplaywr shooter experience.

All around, had a fantastic time and will get when it releases.

Brookshi

Neo Member
Had a good time playing. I just need more practice with the controls.

I kept hitting the wrong buttons in a couple of matches.

Growlie19

One entire match this time. It's not my WiFi, since my PS4 and 3DS work just fine on it. I guess it's called a stress test bevause it's really stressing me out!

tsundoku

You can disable them, or do what I do drop the sensitivity almost as far down as you can like -4 I think I had it at

This is what it looks like when people don't know what they are talking about :)
i played enough ranked mode to snore my way to s rank

turf war is significantly better thought out and a better game mode then any of that garbage

rainmaker was almost good but absolutely no one in any rank below s knew the map changes

Top Bottom