• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Testfire Thread: This is a port...able game now

ar4757

Final game I went to 11-2 and we won. Having a lot more fun now

Friendship ended with dualies. Now Roller is my best friend.

EDarkness

Man, that was awesome as hell. No disconnects and plenty of games. Can't remember how many was more than 10 or more. The last match was just a slaughter. Ended up beating them 68.9 to 20.3. Was insane. Probably my most dominating performance at 6 kills 0 deaths. Though, most of my deaths were because I kept falling off the edge of the map. Ha, ha!

Man, the split joy-con controls are heavenly. Need more FPS games now with this control scheme.

Not sure which weapon is my favorite right now. Been rocking duelies and the splat gun. Wanna try some other guns in the final game.

Giever

The game seems fun, but I keep getting 100% absolutely fucking destroyed non-stop, lol. Hopefully there's decent match-making when it comes out because I'm not keen on going against folks that have been playing it for 2 years now.

Doorman

Time's up. I didn't get in on the first hour so this was my first shot at the game. First impression is that man this feels weird compared to the original in some subtle ways that I did not expect. The addition of some deceleration when you make stick adjustments makes aiming feel a lot floatier than I'm used to, not bad but definitely an adjustment.

I expect this isn't true for everyone but roller hitboxes for both the horizontal splash and vertical slash is a bit weird. Lots of single hits that I thought would have been kills and turned out not to be. I thought I'd be using this weapon the most throughout the testfire but it might have actually been my personal worst? There's some quality to this that I can't quite wrap my head around.

Surprisingly the Stingray might be my favorite special so far? I'm garbage with chargers but really curious now to see what other weapons will get to use it in the full game. Finding a bit of cover and then having at it will be a ton of fun especially once a bit of communication can be thrown in to give a better sense of where enemies are hiding out.

I didn't encounter a single Japanese player in this block, which feels like it would be nearly impossible, so I wonder if they were implementing some form of region-based matchmaking for it. I still held up in every game and the connection felt good, only had like two or three other people disconnect throughout the hour, which isn't bad compared to prior server tests.

See you all in seven hours!

Kindekuma

Banned
I love the short burst of matches, but I think a 10 minute custom match tug of war when it comes to covering territory would be just as fun once it releases. I can totally see how people would get together to play this locally, shit's fun yo'.

key

Once I got the feeling for the roll I was destroying rollers, like, it was unfair to them

The roll feels so nice. I did find myself accidentally rolling into obstacles at times, but I'm sure that will get better with practice.

rikichi

Love this game!

C7vF8ByVMAEYfzv.jpg

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I sucked like crazy for most of the night. I would have been legitimately embarrassed if someone had been watching me try to wrangle the motion controls this past hour. I don't know what happened to me but I suck something fierce. Finally started to get slightly better near the end and actually won the last two games.

I like the 1000P win bonus which, iirc, isn't new but it helps to emphasize the W which is nice. I thought the colors popped, the game handled well (aside from me being spastic with the motion), the music was Splatoon, I really really wish we could just mess around in that tutorial all weekend. I need that target practice.

As far as connection issues, I didn't have any until I got kicked out, docked, WiFi, no problem. I did have one match that took a while to find players. Very smooth aside from that. Also, wtf at people coming out of this hour with gripes about 'lack of content'? Lmao

So far both test fires have been flawless for me (docked, wireless, joycon grip ). I play roller and I like the changes, love Splashdown. Jumping from a height on top of the opposing team while they're all bunched together is great.

Forkball

Slid in with a confirmed victory right when they took it down.

The Duelies are a nice addition. Not only can you roll side to side, but also back and forth, which makes chasing enemies much easier. The Inkjet is a nice ultimate attack, but I still prefer some others to it. It's hard to tell much from just two maps. I noticed that spawn is much more sectioned off than before. I suppose this is to prevent spawn camping, but that only happened if you were getting walloped beyond redemption.

It feels like Splatoon. It doesn't seem like they are going to reinvent the wheel with this one, but I hope they have a lot of unique weapons, maps, and abilities to make it seem... wait for it... fresh.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
i played enough ranked mode to snore my way to s rank

turf war is significantly better thought out and a better game mode then any of that garbage

rainmaker was almost good but absolutely no one in any rank below s knew the map changes

Opinions and all that but I vastly enjoyed ranked way more, I dumped 6 plus hours a day for 5 months into it.

Milennia

had a ton of fun despite being shit and my first time playing the series, so much character this game has

will get better at controls when i have some time to practice on launch via campaign mode most likely

flawless experience connection wise as well, wireless
got in at about 10:55 and played up until just 4 minutes ago without issue

Branduil

It's be nice if there was some way to change weapons that didn't involve quitting. Also I need to figure out how secondary abilities work.

I don't understand splat charger. It seems like it just... sucks.

My one criticism is that it definitely does just feel like Splatoon 1.5.

I'm sure people will jump on me for this but you usually expect more changes in a numbered sequel. It's especially apparent because the graphics haven't changed all that much. Stuff like still needing to back out of matchmaking to change weapon...?!?

Anyway, looking forward to more tests over the weekend :)

Jintor

I love the short burst of matches, but I think a 10 minute custom match tug of war when it comes to covering territory would be just as fun once it releases. I can totally see how people would get together to play this locally, shit's fun yo'.

oh man, some kind of control point game where you have to win sections of map... like splat zones but as a tug of war? that would be dope

splat zones really needed something to get you moving through the map anyway

marrec

Banned
The roll feels so nice. I did find myself accidentally rolling into obstacles at times, but I'm sure that will get better with practice.

Ya the distance of the roll was odd at first, and the direction, but mastering that turned me into a John Wick squid motherfucker

No connection problems over here and absolutely no latency (which surprised me, as my network service here is usually quite poor across the board), but I did see a high number of matches with a disconnected player at 0 points.

I spent pretty much the entire hour fine-tuning sensitivity settings; I think +3.5 gyro, +3 stick has finally landed in the sweet spot where I get enough turning speed but no strain or tightening up as I focus down another player.

Tabletop mode works beautifully, though the display may be a little too small for picking off distant targets with the charger.

I'm getting used to B as the jump button except in emergencies; when I'm about to fall off a ledge, for instance, I instinctively spam X. The map is also so much more usable with motion-pointing to allies that I won't be using the pseudo-D-pad to jump again.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It's be nice if there was some way to change weapons that didn't involve quitting. Also I need to figure out how secondary abilities work.

I don't understand splat charger. It seems like it just... sucks.
Ill happily show you people absolutely destroying with chargers if you want

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
First time playing Splatoon here. And after maybe 15 matches just now, sold. It's great fun and I had no problems connecting.

Crom

The game seems fun, but I keep getting 100% absolutely fucking destroyed non-stop, lol. Hopefully there's decent match-making when it comes out because I'm not keen on going against folks that have been playing it for 2 years now.

It will match you up with players that have similar scores for the most part.

Hope that helps

I wasn't quite sure, but I think the charger special actually goes through surfaces.

At least, that's what it felt like.

Ok, I got hit at least twice and the first time I thought it was a bug. Don't remember that in the original. When it happened again I thought it must be something intentional.

Sendou

If some people were down on there not being regional matchmaking looks like you got what you wanted. It definitely prefers regional. Got like 15 lobby timeouts during the hour and disproportionately "nordic" names. Not really fun to wake up this early on Saturday for 4 or 5 games though.

EDIT: And scrolling through Twitter Japanese players got mainly paired with each other. I hope it's just tweaked to be this strong for demo purposes.

phanphare

Banned
really loved this. some quick thoughts.

-getting used to jump on b took a bit, feel like it'd be better on y, have x reorient the camera, and a for map
-getting used to hitting a button to see the map took some getting used to. kept looking at the controller when I would get splat but by the end I always had the map up when I would get splat. I miss the gamepad..
-super jumping using the gyro is a great call and the hd rumble was really nice here. it was subtle but it would go from nothing and increase in intensity when your cursor would get close to a teammate's icon and it was also directional rumble.
-playing with the pro controller was fantastic. went splattershot the whole time and was going with +4 tilt sensitivity and +2 stick sensitivity. I feel like I'm eventually going to max out the sensitivity to hit that sweet spot for me.
-splattershot was great. I missed bomb range up with the burst bombs though. really loved the tenta missiles. using those in conjunction with burst bombs was a good way to get splats.
-maps were cool. really like the gym one. there are some good options at and around the center of the map in terms of the different levels and inkable walls and surfaces for maneuvering.
-love all the new music. the lobby music is great. love being able to play with that. by the end I had the perfect rhythm to make the beginning of the original song. was kind of hard because the face buttons have a delay and each one is different. there are audio cues that you can lock into though for when to hit each button to get everything in proper time. didn't mess with the pitch shifter too much but for me this is so much better than squid jump.

that's all I've got right now. gonna try out the dulies and use the joy con tomorrow.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My one criticism is that it definitely does just feel like Splatoon 1.5.

I'm sure people will jump on me for this but you usually expect more changes in a numbered sequel. It's especially apparent because the graphics haven't changed all that much. Stuff like still needing to back out of matchmaking to change weapon...?!?

Anyway, looking forward to more tests over the weekend :)

We dont have access to the full toolkit of weapons and supers. But imo everything is different enough minus the standard gun.

Top Bottom