• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Testfire Thread: This is a port...able game now

So i was on my computer and looked down at the date and was like "OH TEST FIRE IS OUT TODAY" so i opened up the app... only to come to this thread and realize it doesnt open until 12... man i got excited for nothing.

totowhoa

Banned
I had to do a hard reboot before I could access the eshop.
Take the Switch out of the dock, hold down the power button (watch for that volume control), choose restart.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot soon. Brought my switch to work so I can try to get it downloaded before taking an extended lunch for the testfire :)

Peltz

I can't believe I'm going to be able to play Splatoon at Starbucks tomorrow morning with a cup of coffee in public. We've come a long way.

Zemm

Just read this interview whilst searching for anything regarding regional matchmaking...

F: Those were the days. (Laughs) At the presentation it was mentioned that players could play “together, from around the world”. You’re planning on having worldwide matchmaking again?

HN: We are. We’d like to have everyone around the world be able to play together

tumblr_oe6qy5BJly1v695ldo1_250.gif

At least give us the option :(

Sendou

Just read this interview whilst searching for anything regarding regional matchmaking...

tumblr_oe6qy5BJly1v695ldo1_250.gif

At least give us the option :(

It's only about the user base. If the user base is large enough to support it then why not? If you played during Japanese Splatfests it was not a great experience because west doesn't have large enough player base to support proper matchmaking in Splatoon 1.

And I wouldn't read that quote as something that excludes regional matchmaking. Just saying that they will support global matchmaking.

phanphare

Banned
It's only about the user base. If the user base is large enough to support it then why not? If you played during Japanese Splatfests it was not a great experience because west doesn't have large enough player base to support proper matchmaking in Splatoon 1.

And I wouldn't read that quote as something that excludes regional matchmaking. Just saying that they will support global matchmaking.

not to mention that internet in america is shit. only time I had or saw frequent connection issues was during splatfests.

Sendou

not to mention that internet in america is shit. only time I had or saw frequent connection issues was during splatfests.

Yeah I noticed that too. Playing with Japanese you have predictable latency but more extreme lag issues with western names.

Zemm

I'd be happy if the option for regional MM is there but I'll be very surprised if it is. I'd much rather have longer queues than having to deal with 300ms because I was the only European in a match full of Japanese players. That was by far my biggest issue with Splatoon 1 and if it's the same here I might not even pick it up.

I never had issues with Splatfests in Europe. In fact it was by far the most fun I had with the game because it was so much smoother latency wise.

JonnyKong

Not played Splatoon before, and shooters are not really my thing. Excited to try this and get utterly destroyed though!

I think you'll be surprised by how well you do, especially in the early days.

It's when you start playing S rank Japanese a few months into the game release things turn dark.

OryoN

I just don't enjoy gyro controls at all. They're not something I've ever enjoyed in a game, let alone a competitive shooter. I don't doubt people can master them, but for me personally it's just not an accurate form of controller input. I find them ultra frustrating to use.

I'm not sure which games you've played with gyro aiming, but Splatoon(and a few other games) long put that myth to rest. When I first played Splatoon, as much as I wanted nothing to do with gyro aiming, I still had to admit that they were far more responsive and precise than anything analog stick could hope to achieve. The analog controls in Splatoon are awful, but my comparison was based off of a previous gen of Battlefield(s) and Left 4 Dead 2 as my go-to online shooters, so I was surprised how much I've come to love gyro aiming.

If a major first-person shooter implements gyro inputs as effectively as Splatoon does, then that may become my preferred way to play. I never imagined I'd say such a thing after conforming to a particular input since N64 days, but that's the effect great gyro aiming can have. It's one thing not to like gyro imputs(not everyone likes keyboard & mouse either!) but its accuracy - especially over analog sticks - ought to be a well documented fact by now.

Will this use HD Rumble? Please say yes. I wanna see what Nintendo can do with it themselves!

I heard that there will be HD Rumble, but it wasn't present yet in the Switch demos and this testfire is likely that demo version.

Take with a grain of salt, however. Nonsense metastasizes quickly on the internet. We'll know for sure in about 4 hours.

pringles

Not played Splatoon before, and shooters are not really my thing. Excited to try this and get utterly destroyed though!
Great thing about Splatoon is you can be a useful squadmember even if you're not some killing machine. Just ink that turf and try your best to stay alive and you'll do well for the team.

Lucifon

I had to do a hard reboot before I could access the eshop.
Take the Switch out of the dock, hold down the power button (watch for that volume control), choose restart.

Someone should make a PSA for this! Seems most Switches can't access the eShop today without doing a full reboot. Must have been some kind of server related change.

I'm not sure which games you've played with gyro aiming, but Splatoon(and a few other games) long put that myth to rest. When I first played Splatoon, as much as I wanted nothing to do with gyro aiming, I still had to admit that they were far more responsive and precise than anything analog stick could hope to achieve. The analog controls in Splatoon are awful, but my comparison was based off of a previous gen of Battlefield(s) and Left 4 Dead 2 as my go-to online shooters, so I was surprised how much I've come to love gyro aiming.

If a major first-person shooter implements gyro inputs as effectively as Splatoon does, then that may become my preferred way to play. I never imagined I'd say such a thing after conforming to a particular input since N64 days, but that's the effect great gyro aiming can have. It's one thing not to like gyro imputs(not everyone likes keyboard & mouse either!) but its accuracy - especially over analog sticks - ought to be a well documented fact by now.

Just me personally and appears to be quite a few other's feelings. I guess for some people Gyro clicks and for others it does not.

My opinion was based on Splatoon 1 though. Honestly I tried battling through the initial bedding in period, but I still couldn't stand the gyro controls. Instead I opted to use the non-gyro ones but they were also crappy (just less-crappy for me). The inability to adjust X/Y axis individually was a major factor in what made them so bad on Splatoon 1 and I personally felt highlighted their in-experience with the fine tuning aspects of modern shooter controls. Looks like you still can't in Splatoon 2 either which is incredibly disappointing to me.

phanphare

Banned
Just me personally and appears to be quite a few other's feelings. I guess for some people Gyro clicks and for others it does not.

My opinion was based on Splatoon 1 though. Honestly I tried battling through the initial bedding in period, but I still couldn't stand the gyro controls. Instead I opted to use the non-gyro ones but they were also crappy (just less-crappy for me). The inability to adjust X/Y axis individually was a major factor in what made them so bad on Splatoon 1 and I personally felt highlighted their in-experience with the fine tuning aspects of modern shooter controls.

yeah the gyro controls may not be for everyone but they are more accurate and responsive than the right stick controls

one of the reasons why the stick only controls are not so good is because of the lack of aim assist so you're actually seeing first hand why the right stick isn't as accurate as the gyro

Sendou

My opinion was based on Splatoon 1 though. Honestly I tried battling through the initial bedding in period, but I still couldn't stand the gyro controls. Instead I opted to use the non-gyro ones but they were also crappy (just less-crappy for me). The inability to adjust X/Y axis individually was a major factor in what made them so bad on Splatoon 1 and I personally felt highlighted their in-experience with the fine tuning aspects of modern shooter controls. Looks like you still can't in Splatoon 2 either which is incredibly disappointing to me.

You can adjust the sensitivity for X and Y axis invidually when motion controls are disabled in Splatoon 2.

Chorazin

Great thing about Splatoon is you can be a useful squadmember even if you're not some killing machine. Just ink that turf and try your best to stay alive and you'll do well for the team.

This is EXACTLY why my GF loves playing Splatoon. She usually hates competitive online games but being able to help her team without being so great at killing the other team makes her real happy.

pretty much this, my aim is terrible so i mainly just use the roller and avoid enemies if i can. just "sneak" to their side of the map and paint away, i usually win 75% of my matches simply doing this.

edit: hopefully somebody streams it on twitch this afternoon

TankRizzo

Banned
Someone should make a PSA for this! Seems most Switches can't access the eShop today without doing a full reboot. Must have been some kind of server related change.

I had to do that to create my JP eshop account last night.

Lucifon

You can adjust the sensitivity for X and Y axis invidually when motion controls are disabled in Splatoon 2.

Are you sure? The options screen picture from earlier in the thread shows the ability to toggle invert X/Y on the right stick but not sensitivity X and Y.

Sendou

Are you sure? The options screen picture from earlier in the thread shows the ability to toggle invert X/Y on the right stick but not sensitivity X and Y.

Oh yeah my bad. Took another look at the translation and that does indeed seem to be the case.

What are you talking about. This isn't true at all. The game is multimillion seller with over a million copies throughout Europe and over a million in just North America

totowhoa

Banned
Anybody know the controls for rolling with the dualies? Are there invincibility frames for that?

Also does the long range roller flick just happen when you flick while jumping, or do you initiate it some other way?

Didn't notice these in the control image in the OP

Anybody know the controls for rolling with the dualies? Are there invincibility frames for that?

Also does the long range roller flick just happen when you flick while jumping, or do you initiate it some other way?

You press B while shooting.

Vertical flick only happens when you flick while jumping. You can jump with a horizontal flick by jumping immediately after pressing ZR.

I think holding b while shooting does the rolls.

Toadsili T

Neo Member

It's in the OT. It's just under "Available Weapons" instead of Controls. :)

Top Bottom