• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT2| Prepare to Dye

Back to B+ after switching back to 96 gal. Hm. Anybody think that weapon is good, but perhaps a little too dependent on team coordination/composition to reach its full potential atm? I'm having a lot more consistent success with the .52 and splatterscope. I'm thinking it's because those weapons are more flexible, and thus able to fit into random teams more easily but I'm not sure.

WALKMAN04

Sadly My last two weeks were mostly occupied with studying for the NCLEX (a government test for nursing), but now I'm done and can focus back on Splatoon! I need to get back into the GAF rooms, I miss competitive turf war!

That's true though, I imagine to the bubbler will be a great offensive support weapon for tower control (like you said), I just have my doubts for gaining the tower back with the splatshoot jr., especially in A+ rooms. I'll test it out tonight, but I refuse to change to the blaster. The bunnyhop players have soured that weapon for me. :p
Yeah I feel pretty similar about the blaster, but I just want to see how it will work when the blast pretty much is the size of the tower, in my head it seems pretty overpowered.. It's probably not going to be my main weapon though, love my dual squelchers for turf war and will probably use them in ranked the most.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I have the Kraken on the Custom E-liter, either I use it as a panic button
e: come to think of it, we already had a few Kraken duels lol

Haha yeah. It was Walleye Warehouse and I saw you picking off our team with a Charger, so I said "let me rush Violet with the Kraken to get him out of his rhythm so he doesn't feel comfortable picking off our team from his nice cozy spot".

As soon as I unleashed the Kraken you did about two seconds afterwards and I was swimming for dear life ("oh shit oh shit") till you eventually caught up with me haha.

Kept a mental note after that lol

It was suggested a few times by some members, I wanted to go with Feel Good Ink.

Unless there is another super clever title that people might prefer, or perhaps something more topical. I was looking for a Tower pun of some sort but I couldn't come up with anything.
Stick with feel good ink, it's totally inline with the game's setting and atmosphere, and hihglights the awesome integration of miiverse in the game.

Azure J

Back to B+ after switching back to 96 gal. Hm. Anybody think that weapon is good, but perhaps a little too dependent on team coordination/composition to reach its full potential atm? I'm having a lot more consistent success with the .52 and splatterscope. I'm thinking it's because those weapons are more flexible, and thus able to fit into random teams more easily but I'm not sure.

I'm way more partial to the 52 (Deco) due to the team support and ability to self-generate flank approaches with ninja squid or even just the seekers by themselves as a distraction. Inkstrikes are also always welcome to reset momentum, keep pressure on or cut off opponent approach areas. The straight up attack power and AoE of the 52 shouldn't be downplayed either. 96 is good though thanks to Sprinkler the 5th player weapon and Echolocators, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Deco was the more consistent of the two (three) Gal variants.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Guys, you're eating OT threads for breakfast. Stop it, or I'll get the game!

Intel_89

Am I the only one getting random errors after v. 1.3.0? I can't even get past the Squid Sisters intro without getting a barrage of disc reading errors even though my disc worked perfectly fine until now and it's still in mint condition.

Every other game that I've tried seemed to work perfectly fine (Smash and Yoshy Woolly World), not really sure what I should do. :(

Robotguy

.96 can be a beast at getting kills, but I have noticed that it can be a challenge to play with when your team is not up to par.

I'm way more partial to the 52 (Deco) due to the team support and ability to self-generate flank approaches with ninja squid or even just the seekers by themselves as a distraction. Inkstrikes are also always welcome to reset momentum, keep pressure on or cut off opponent approach areas. The straight up attack power and AoE of the 52 shouldn't be downplayed either. 96 is good though thanks to Sprinkler the 5th player weapon and Echolocators, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Deco was the more consistent of the two (three) Gal variants.
Hmm, might have to try the Deco. I like my range though.

Am I the only one getting random errors after v. 1.3.0? I can't even get past the Squid Sisters intro without getting a barrage of disc reading errors even though my disc worked perfectly fine until now and it's still in mint condition.

Every other game that I've tried seemed to work perfectly fine (Smash and Yoshy Woolly World), not really sure what I should do. :(
Haven't had any such problems, but I own the game digitally, so I imagine that I'm immune to disk read errors.

Yeah I feel pretty similar about the blaster, but I just want to see how it will work when the blast pretty much is the size of the tower, in my head it seems pretty overpowered.. It's probably not going to be my main weapon though, love my dual squelchers for turf war and will probably use them in ranked the most.
Question for you. I use the dual squelcher often when not using my main gun. What is your gear? I often use Main ink saver hat run speed body and ink resistance sneakers.

Azure J

How does the inkbrush play in splat zones? I never see any

Lots of gotta go fast, misdirection and you have to know the stage beforehand. Sprinkler usage can make or break it for the entire team. Ninja Squid is immensely beneficial when you fight teams with little range or no Echolocator. Prepare to rage if there are more than one competent charger (and they're set up), a 96Gal user or a Carbon Roller on the other team.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I'm sure this has been asked plenty today, but is there a compilation of all the patch changes? Besides our new inkbrush overlords.

Grakl

It was suggested a few times by some members, I wanted to go with Feel Good Ink.

Unless there is another super clever title that people might prefer, or perhaps something more topical. I was looking for a Tower pun of some sort but I couldn't come up with anything.
This is a good one, but I see a lot of people not feeling good about this game

Salt be strong

Intel_89

Haven't had any such problems, but I own the game digitally, so I imagine that I'm immune to disk read errors.

Well I just unplugged my HDD from the console and tried to apply the update again to a brand new save file and the game seems to work just fine.

Junahu

Have you tried deleting the update and then redownloading the update?

edit: nevermind, I'm too slow

Still have to give the .52 deco a go. Although I don't know if I can give up Ink Wall. That thing is just too beast on the tighter maps, like Arawana Mall, where a well placed wall can really wreak havoc on the enemy team. I think the .96 gal is strong at a mid-range position -- not on the front lines, but not charger distance either -- where its range allows you to deny enemy inroads into the splat zone (I call this making touch ups, lol) while at the same time putting pressure on the enemy's line thanks to the .96's 2-shot kill power. Problem is you have to rely on your team to cover your flanks andnot over-extend, or else its too easy to get overwhelmed when the enemy rushes in. To be fair, I need to be better about knowing when to stand my ground and when to run for the hills.

DaBoss

.96 Gal is the best shooter for how the game handles lag and its range is super good. Its low fire-rate is a none issue.
I'll test it out tonight, but I refuse to change to the blaster. The bunnyhop players have soured that weapon for me. :p
Use a Rapid Blaster or Squiffer then.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

Salt be strong

They'll come around. The game has grown and become more popular far more than I expected.

As more maps roll out, matchmaking etc. Splatoon will only continue to become more popular.

Rize_21

Salt be strong

That's our tears that put salt in Splatoon's oceans, that sunken scroll with the wiiu gamer was a member of the anonymous squids, surely one of us.

I can happily confirm that Inkbrush can easily deflect Kraken endlessly just by mashing, and doesn't run out of ink either if you started with a full tank.

I do extremely well with the 96 Gal on certain ranked maps. Port Mackeral in particular -- there are so many sneaky places to throw the sprinkler. It's a great weapon to use when you're coming across a lot of roller bullshit. The one problem with the 96 Gal is it changes my play style to a slow pace and being an Aerospray whore in Turf Wars that isn't the pace I'm used to playing at.

Normally in ranked I use the Dual Squelcher.

WALKMAN04

Question for you. I use the dual squelcher often when not using my main gun. What is your gear? I often use Main ink saver hat run speed body and ink resistance sneakers.
Well what seems to be working for me is ink saver main on my hat, ninja squid shirt and ninja jump shoes, I'm not too fond of ink resistance shoes even before the nerf, most of the time I fall into enemy ink I would have died regardless of whether I had them or not. My sub abilities off the top of my head are ink saver sub, one defense and the abilities that make your special last longer and charge quicker. I feel the special ability ups are a must for dual squelcher so that you can use the echolocater to always know where your opponents are because if you let them get up close you are usually dead

Well what seems to be working for me is ink saver main on my hat, ninja squid shirt and ninja jump shoes, I'm not too fond of ink resistance shoes even before the nerf, most of the time I fall into enemy ink I would have died regardless of whether I had them or not. My sub abilities off the top of my head are ink saver sub, one defense and the abilities that make your special last longer and charge quicker. I feel the special ability ups are a must for dual squelcher so that you can use the echolocater to always know where your opponents are because if you let them get up close you are usually dead
That sounds like a solid line up

Geg

Right now I've got one swim speed up and two respawn speed ups at my mains, because I die a lot lol. I'm looking to replace the headgear one with an ink saver main but I'm waiting to get sea snails at splatfest.

I've switched over to the custom dual squelcher now so I don't have the echolocator to prioritize building up anymore. I miss it, but killer wail has its uses too

Crisium

Inkbrush where have you been all my life!

It's the antithesis of how I normally play. I only play 96, Jet Squelcher, Chargers. Keep away, fight at max distance, and don't over commit.

Then I try this wonderful weapon. Yes, it's so satisfying. Be a ninja and ambush someone, run around their line and paint their side of the map, jumping and yoloing into the enemy when you find them. It's a whole different way of not over committing then the longer range weapons, so it's a good change of pace, and it spreads paint so easy. I'm used to firing in a straight line and strafing to spread paint. With this I jump and flail like a maniac and I love it.

I'm still 96 gal only in ranked for now, but it's a welcome addition my core weapons in Turf Wars.

Azure J

It's actually cool that everyone's here sharing their setups since I have this Word document up that I'm punching ideas into for future/current builds that I like. Let's hear what SplatGAF thinks of some of these:

Ninja Optimized (Inkbrush/.52 Gal Deco/Splattershot Pro)
Tentatek Fake Contacts
- Special Charge Up (Main)
- Ink Recovery Up (Sub) x 3

Splash Mob Shrimp Pink Polo
- Ninja Squid
- Ink Saver Main (Sub) x 3

Krak-On Red Hi-Tops
- Ink Resistance
- Swim Speed Up (Sub) x 3

Balanced (Inkbrush/.52 Gal Deco/Splattershot Pro)
Firefin FishFry Visor
- Special Charge Up
- Ink Saver Sub (Sub) x 3

Takoroka Red Vector Tee
- Ink Saver Main
- Special Charge Up (Sub) x 3

Tentatek Neon Sea Slugs
- Ink Resistance Up

Balanced - Alt Take (Inkbrush/.52 Gal Deco/Splattershot Pro)
Tentatek Fake Contacts
- Special Charge Up

Takoroka Red Vector Tee
- Ink Saver Main
- Special Charge Up (Sub) x 3

Krak-On Red Hi-Tops
- Ink Resistance Up

“Gotta Go Fast” (Splat Charger/Kelp Splat Charger/Splatterscope/Luna Blaster[?])
Skalop Squidvader Cap Fake Contacts
- Special Charge Up
- Quick Respawn (Sub) x 3

Zekko Red Varsity Jacket
- Damage Up
- Special Saver (Sub) x 3

Krak-On Hunter Hi-Tops
- Ink Recovery Up

My builds are mostly based around being a "Jack" with balanced ink usage and the ability to operate on most terrain to provide varying levels of support or offense. Access to Inkstrike is critical for pulling clutch out of thin air so I always have special charges accounted for. The ninja build is just me optimizing my favorite "specialized" perk. Some of these might be a bit boring for folks trying to all in on different metagames, but I hope it inspires some cool ideas. Not shown: a Splat-o-Matic build and a cold blooded build that I have to figure out because fuck Echolocator and the rare Point Sensor/Haunt. :lol

Edit: I honestly don't know how other Brushers jump n brush all over the place. I tried it once and my hands hurt. :lol

That's why I prefer the water skimmer method of brush - swim - brush or just switching to roll mode in most situations.

I do extremely well with the 96 Gal on certain ranked maps. Port Mackeral in particular -- there are so many sneaky places to throw the sprinkler. It's a great weapon to use when you're coming across a lot of roller bullshit. The one problem with the 96 Gal is it changes my play style to a slow pace and being an Aerospray whore in Turf Wars that isn't the pace I'm used to playing at.

Normally in ranked I use the Dual Squelcher.

Yeah, I love running the .96 on Port Mackerel. It's great for denying people access to your half of the map. I've also had success on Warehouse and Kelp Dome, but get trounced on Bluefin Depot. And, yes, I love splatting rollers from across the splat zone on urchin underpass >:)

Top Bottom