• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT2| Prepare to Dye

RedFyn

Most players make a beeline towards the splatzone, but I always take an alternative route to build up my bubbler and try to flank the other team during the first battle for the splatzone. Usually I'll encounter one opposing squid on the way there, and my hope is to out maneuver him/her (splatshoot jr. isnt built to go toe-to-toe with other skilled players sporting better offensive weapons) and achieving the splat without using my bubbler. But if I feel like I'm losing the upperhand, I will deploy my bubbler and hope to build it up again before I enter the splatzone.

If all goes to plan, I will come upon the other team from behind with my bubbler equipped, and I should be able to at least get a double splat and turn the tide in the favor of our team. At that point I quickly try and cover opposing teams paint in hope to have my bubbler again when the second push happens.

My goal from there is to limit the amount of splat shootouts I take apart of in without my bubbler deployed. Though if I do have to confront an opposing squid without the bubbler, the only favorable shot I personally have of achieving the splat is by out maneuvering, approaching with fellow teammates, or getting the high ground on my opponent. I also use my splatbombs as distractions and/or distancing so I can get around the opponent and come up from the ink on his/her side or back. Sometimes I land a kill with them, but that's mostly luck.

But again, my main priority is painting until my bubbler is ready. That's why I like to slide out with two of my gears main slots sporting special charge up (increases special-gauge fill rate) and special duration up (increases usage time of special weapons). My last main slot is ninja jump, for obvious reasons.

Hope that helps!
I think you'll be fine. You'll have to play a support role but I think the Jr will be better at tower control than splat zones.

Skiesofwonder said:
Edit: I'm typing from my phone so sorry for any of the above typos, but is your roller not transferring over to splat zones RED? I see plenty of A+ rollers that I don't feel are as good as you are.
I don't play roller on splat zones. It's at a huge disadvantage and more importantly I have a very hard time carrying my team with it. I could make it work but its just not worth it to me. Plus its nice to use a gun every once in a while.

That said I don't play ranked very much. I like it a lot but I don't like playing so seriously for very long.

Heng

I'm going to jump on in a bit for those who wanted to order a head piece with tenacity and 3 power up subs.

Maybe in 30 mins or 40.

Crayolan

This post reminds me, how many people are playing this with experience in other TPS/FPS? I literally had zero experience with competitive FPS/TPS before this (unless Squawkmatches in Banjo-Tooie/a bit of GoldenEye and Perfect Dark count) before this.

I play Spy and Pyro in TF2, so I have some experience with ambushing people.

OryoN

I don't play roller on splat zones. It's at a huge disadvantage and more importantly I have a very hard time carrying my team with it. I could make it work but its just not worth it to me.

With the right playstyle, rollers can be a force to reckon with in ranked matches, especially with the Kraken special. I especially hate dealing with those ridiculous dynamo rollers! They out-range my Tentatek, and can 1-hit-kill from (a relatively) insane range. Because Dynamoes are such a threat to me, I often find myself investing too much time/effort into taking them out, leaving me distracted from the main goal, or susceptible to other enemies.

zeioIIDX

Serious question: is it just me or is the laser scope on the E-Liter 3k off... Or laggy? I just played in a few matches where an enemy was using that and I swear that each time I was splatted with one, their laser was either aimed in an entirely different direction (facing North even though I was standing West) or the laser was at an angle and clearly nowhere near my body. I don't know if it's lag of some sort because every match I've played today as been perfectly fine otherwise.

Jintor

well just got crunked through my tentacles in about 20 seconds flat in a tc by some godlike dynamo roller and his overwhelming fire support team.

at least I got the only kills on my team

Jackano

Serious question: is it just me or is the laser scope on the E-Liter 3k off... Or laggy? I just played in a few matches where an enemy was using that and I swear that each time I was splatted with one, their laser was either aimed in an entirely different direction (facing North even though I was standing West) or the laser was at an angle and clearly nowhere near my body. I don't know if it's lag of some sort because every match I've played today as been perfectly fine otherwise.

I saw that too.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just realized there's a "Lobby" button right on the gamepad -- I've always ran to the lobby. Headdesk.

lol yeah its real fast to switch around different game modes. You can even super jump to each level on the gamepad in single player mode, nice!

Top Bottom