• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Spoiler* Grand Theft Auto V map leaked *Spoiler*

_dd_

I can't wait to do some missions that traverse the city and rural areas and vice versa. A car chase that starts in the city and sprawls out to the mountains.

Five

Banned
I wish they had found a more creative solution to the boundary issue, because the island-thing is going to be bothering me.

I remember hearing that Infamous: Second Son is solving it with forest all around. You can't fly planes in that game, though.

The being-an-island thing makes it feel more like Catalina than Los Angeles, and Catalina isn't all that exciting of a place. Oh well.

ironcreed

Banned
Was hoping there would be more city

The city portions look bigger than ever. Don't forget that there is another confirmed island to the left of the map that is supposed to be comprised of a town that is quite big itself, according to CVG.

I am happy that in addition to all of the usual city stuff, there are areas for all of the outdoor activities as well. On top of that, there is the huge underwater environment that is not just empty space, either. It's like SA on steroids, for crying out loud.

UrbanRats

CybzA1r.gif

Damn.

I wish they had found a more creative solution to the boundary issue, because the island-thing is going to be bothering me.

I remember hearing that Infamous: Second Son is solving it with forest all around. You can't fly planes in that game, though.

The being-an-island thing makes it feel more like Catalina than Los Angeles, and Catalina isn't all that exciting of a place. Oh well.

I find this odd. How do you play any open world games? There's always "some" sort of barrier. I find it really strange that it will bother you, but each person is different. I would much rather have the landmass end and just look like an ocean then some invisible wall or mountain that you "couldn't" fly a plane over.

Kinyou

By the most pessimistic estimates, the city is going to be roughly the same size as SA's Los Santos and San Fierro put together.
Ok, that sounds pretty reassuring.

I wonder how that will work. After all is a forest not some impenetrable wall.

akira28

I just came to the realization that a ton of open world games are islands (Saints Row's Stilwater and Steelport, GTAV's city). Easier to do that with "infinite" water surrounding it or to simply turn back the player I suppose.

I guess they know gamers would waste hours trying to access the rest of the country...even if it means to drive around in an empty infinity forever, like a ghost.

one thing though...I'm not horrible at scaling, but that bridge looks awfully small to be able to be represented on a map...And GTA:San Andreas seemed huge. Maybe that bridge is a quarter or half mile long.

Ha, that is great.

I dunno...even this makes me wonder. I'll just have to play it. .....c'mon PC version. Don't make me spend another dime on this damn Xbox.

So is this game going to look good from the sky too? Played GTAIV on PC with mods, and it didn't matter how pretty you got it looking on the ground when you flew into the sky and everything turned into a horrid mess.

I still want my Vegas & San Fran. More importantly Vegas since it makes a bit more sense geographically.

They could have at least put Vegas in there as its not THAT big and all R* would really need to do is replicate the strip.

Five

Banned
I find this odd. How do you play any open world games? There's always "some" sort of barrier. I find it really strange that it will bother you, but each person is different. I would much rather have the landmass end and just look like an ocean then some invisible wall or mountain that you "couldn't" fly a plane over.

Eh, it probably has something to do with living right outside of LA. Open world games usually are too far removed from my perception of reality for me to care.

Arkanius

I still think this looks and will be small
Look how every screenshot from the "city" is the same buildings. Everytime, from angles to hide how short it is.

It's GTA San Andreas again. You are getting wilderness and that might wow you, but GTA for me is a Metropolitan game, not a Deer hunting simulator.

But oh well, everyone is so hyped that we can't point the obvious. The game will be fun as hell, but don't cry afterwards saying you wanted more city.

SJRB

Gold Member
I still think this looks and will be small
Look how every screenshot from the "city" is the same buildings. Everytime, from angles to hide how short it is.

It's GTA San Andreas again. You are getting wilderness and that might wow you, but GTA for me is a Metropolitan game, not a Deer hunting simulator.

But oh well, everyone is so hyped that we can't point the obvious. The game will be fun as hell, but don't cry afterwards saying you wanted more city.

What the fuck are you talking about? Who are you talking to?

Oemenia

Banned
Maybe Im jumping to conclusions but the urban area looks rather small. Hopefully its another GTAIV case were we arent seeing all the smaller roads.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Maybe Im jumping to conclusions but the urban area looks rather small. Hopefully its another GTAIV case were we arent seeing all the smaller roads.

CybzA1r.gif

look at how much shit is in that small of a area in that gif

edit: that road next to his house is like 6 or 8 lanes look how miniscule that road is when its zoomed all the way out

Clockwork5

It is quite apparent that the scale is way off on those comparison pics. The one comparing SA to V is especially cringe worthy. Why are the roads in V three times wider than the roads in SA? Do they have 6 lane backroads in V?

sappyday

I'm satisfied with the size. The city is almost as big as iv's city but with all that wilderness this time. GTA v isn't dedicated purely to la. It's dedicated to la and the area surrounding it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Here's a bit of an adventure I had years ago playing San Andreas for the first time:

I was up to some shenanigans, and had to escape the police. During the chase, my car careened off the road and exploded, leaving me stranded in the forest/countryside between San Fierro and Las Venturas. I was nowhere near a vehicle, or a person with a vehicle, and I found myself running as fast as I could through the trees in an attempt to find the city again.

As I was bumbling through the forest, the weather began to turn sour, and soon there was a heavy fog obscuring my vision. I could hear nothing but CJ's footsteps on the earth, and I could barely make out the trees ahead of me. And then I saw them.

Up ahead, were two glowing orbs, floating in the fog. As I approached, the battered shape of an abandoned vehicle, lights on, engine running, door open. Aside from the wind in the trees, the vehicles engine, and other ambient noises, there were no other sounds. It was one of the most atmospheric things I've encountered in a GTA game, and it was creepy as fuck. I high-tailed it out of there as fast I could. I didn't even bother to steal the car. Lol.

The thought of getting lost in that immense wildlife in GTAV has me pumped as fuck. I want more nightmare fuel.

Eh, it probably has something to do with living right outside of LA. Open world games usually are too far removed from my perception of reality for me to care.

Ah, makes sense. I live in Portland, OR so besides a hipster comedy sketch show I really don't get to see the city I live in portrayed in other media.

I wonder what it's like for people in NYC, lol.

kurbaan

Banned
CybzA1r.gif

look at how much shit is in that small of a area in that gif

edit: that road next to his house is like 6 or 8 lanes look how miniscule that road is when its zoomed all the way out

I dont think this is accurate at all. The in game world will be on a much smaller scale. People are just getting way too excited comparing the areas to real world.

If anyone remembers the good old days of Gta3 and vice would know the map is scaled differently then the in game map. The points of interest on the paper map would always be a few roads off from the in game map when going to those places.

Raven77

...Don't forget that there is another confirmed island to the left of the map that is supposed to be comprised of a town that is quite big itself, according to CVG.

Which article did you read this in, do you have a quote from them???

Not saying they didn't say this or confirm it, I just can't go to game sites at work so I can't look it up myself. Very interesting.

Derrick01

Banned
Only IGN said that, but seeing as how cringe worthy their preview was, it's easy to see how they got stuff wrong from being overhyped.

Yeah my mistake. I should have known better than to take anything they say seriously.

9 is ok...I guess. I hope at least for GTA online they decide to add more courses out in that huge countryside.

Z3M0G

Using the relative size of blocks and airport runways I came up with this size comparision. I think it's more realistic then some of the other ones posted.

Thank you... this is exactly what I first noticed when looking at the map. The city is not very dense, making it look small overall. Then you realize how few roads really do make up the countryside. It makes for a great areal playground to fly around, and long drives in fast cars, and pretty vistas... but that's about it to me...

Top Bottom