• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Spoiler* Grand Theft Auto V map leaked *Spoiler*

MormaPope

Banned
There are actually quite a few landmarks in Just Cause 2, it's just the rest of the world is very homogeneous.

The size of the world in Just Cause 2 makes the mini map or map more valuable than any landmarks present. That fact can be applied to many open world games quite easily, but the city layouts from GTA III all the way up to GTA IV/RDR are incredibly easy to navigate due to how well the areas are constructed.

level44

The San Andreas comparison map doesn't seem to be to scale.
The san andreas map should be a lot larger since the roads on the map are miniscule compared to V's map.

Gangxxter

The San Andreas comparison map doesn't seem to be to scale.
The san andreas map should be a lot larger since the roads on the map are miniscule compared to V's map.
That's true, this is the right scale:

1uYcYu5.jpg
(Can't post this comparison often enough)

Credits to Magic_Al@GTAForums

Bricky

The map is enormous (especially considering Rockstar always creates interesting worlds without 'filler' locations like some other open-world games), but is it just me or is the Los Santos itself smaller than GTA IV's Liberty City? That would be kinda disappointing, since the city-part is always the most exciting imo.

Five

Banned
The map is enormous (especially considering Rockstar always creates interesting worlds without 'filler' locations like some other open-world games), but is it just me or is the Los Santos itself smaller than GTA IV's Liberty City? That would be kinda disappointing, since the city-part is always the most exciting imo.

It's roughly the same size if you take out the watery bits of Liberty City, with Los Santos being slightly larger.

MCN

Banned

Los Santos city is roughly the same size as Liberty City in GTA4.

Ubiquitar

Neo Member
That's a perfect size map for an open world game if you ask me. I love Skyrim, and I'm sure some people will disagree, but I wished the world/map was just a little smaller. Or Far Cry 3, that map was just way too huge (plus there wasn't enough to do). This looks just the right size! Of course I could be wrong, I'm going by looks.

Edit: god I wish this was on PC from the get go!

rouken

gta iv liberty city - "the city is so big, i hate it! more wilderness! "

gta v san andreas - "the county is so big, i hate it! more city!"

Vizzeh

Banned
Not sure how useful ALL that wilderness is going to be? apart from different hunting grounds maybe, still looks great, the beach on the top left I bet is fun :p

Vizzeh

Banned
I mean Los Santos International Airport, at the very south of the map. That whole peninsula looks like the airport and it's gigantic.

Yeah It does look huge, im hoping the main airport only runs to were you see the purple line looping... and maybe the prior area is storage/industrial areas. The docks look massive too.

Im thinking maybe that map is a general one and not a detailed 1, as the main Los santos is highlighted in grey (obviously), the outter areas with tracks, small towns etc are perhaps not filled in with buildings on that map.

I mean Los Santos International Airport, at the very south of the map. That whole peninsula looks like the airport and it's gigantic.

The entire peninsula is not the airport. The airport is at the end. And anyway, you're putting too much stock into this map. Think about the airport in GTAIV. Now imagine the rest of the city except with even wider roads and more elevation changes. That's Los Santos. The airport looks big here, but that's only because it's hard to perceive that many of the roads are 6 and 8 lanes with more space this time around with this 2D map having no detail.

I wouldn't go that far but it does look around the same size as all the cities in San Andreas put together, which is pretty disappointing to say the least.

GTAV Los Santos is as big as GTAIV Liberty City. The San Andreas cities will be small in comparison. Go to Youtube and view footage of San Andreas with the maximum draw distance mod. It's not actually that big.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
This game is going to be INCREDIBLE!!! 7 days to go! Woo!

Reposting from the other thread:

It probably wouldn't be too difficult to get a fairly accurate estimate on the square mileage of the map based off that image, doing some pixel counting and scale conversions using the average length of say a 4-door sedan as the scale determination at the furthest zoom.

There's a partially cut off scale in the bottom left. Top 1 black+ 1 white bar is 2000ft, bottom is 2/3 km.
I'd say the distance between northern and southern landmass is more than 11 km.
Perhaps including the detailed ocean it hits 12km, they might be limited to twice the 6km max width&height that contained San Andreas/GTAIV/RDR base maps.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh early guide purchases. Reminds me of when I was able to purchase the Zelda: Twilight Princess guide three weeks before the game's release as I was there when browsing a store and the shipments came in and I asked if I could purchase one.

Though didn't post anything online at the time. Regardless, interesting map.

I saw it before I left for work this morning and I can't get it out of my mind.

I keep seeing that damned Ninja Turtle in the Map! I'm seeing Turtles here man!

Top Bottom