• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Spoiler* Grand Theft Auto V map leaked *Spoiler*

Sylent01

What's great about this map is the length of the highways. I'm looking forward to taking a hot car and really opening it up on a coastal highway at 160 mph during a sunset- hopefully with the top down and Michael's hair flying in the wind. That's if I don't get side-swiped by a numb-skull npc in a pick-up! I guess racing will be far more doable in this game than it was in IV (online) which was a disappointment for me.

whogottricked

Neo Member
What's great about this map is the length of the highways. I'm looking forward to taking a hot car and really opening it up on a coastal highway at 160 mph during a sunset- hopefully with the top down and Michael's hair flying in the wind. That's if I don't get side-swiped by a numb-skull npc in a pick-up! I guess racing will be far more doable in this game than it was in IV (online) which was a disappointment for me.

Yeah. It'd be awesome to cruise around the highways. I just imagine myself driving around the PCH equivalent (Great Ocean Highway, I think) a week from now.

Man, I can't wait.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Rockstar weren't bluffing when they said that it was bigger than SA, IV and RDR combined looking at the properly-scaled comparisons.

I will be picking this up in the future when I have the time, I can wait because it looks like it'll be something special.

I'll lose my mind if the first next gen GTA goes back to the 80's Vice City.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
He is about right. This is actually the correct size comparison of V, RDR, IV and SA:

Made by Magic_Al at GTAForums. He put a lot of work and effort into scaling the maps correctly.

EDIT: This should be included in the OP instead of the wrong size comparison.

That definitly needs to be replaced with the San Andreas comparison in the op. The one in the OP scales it to allow one GTA 5 city block for every 4 San Andreas city blocks. This one looks about right

And it is a big difference. The original comparison made GTA5 look 8 times bigger, not just 2.

tc53357_U5yEdpF.gif

Good eye on that.

The people that think the city is small are probably thinking the grid streets are the only streets. They're the major streets. Each grey square is an entire block, if you look closely there's a shitload of more, smaller streets.

Ploid 3.0

That definitly needs to be replaced with the San Andreas comparison in the op. The one in the OP scales it to allow one GTA 5 city block for every 4 San Andreas city blocks. This one looks about right

And it is a big difference. The original comparison made GTA5 look 8 times bigger, not just 2.

Yeah that GTASA picture made me think GTAV was gigantic. I think I still like the way GTA:SA is done, though it's last gen map will not compare to a current gen game well. It made the game have more variety while moving through the world, it's map look like a checker board with flavors shaken/stirred together. GTAV looks like a map split down the middle like a book, one side city, the other country.

elfinke

Rad looking map.

I thought it was a full 18 hole course?

This is my most looked-forward-to, to-do thing in GTAV: driving sensibly, following road rules from the safe house in a car I legally acquired to the golf course and playing a round of golf.

How does the map size compare to Sleeping Dogs?

Much, much bigger than Sleeping Dogs. SD wasn't very big at all, but it had solid atmosphere, great nighttime look, and seemed very interactive due to the fighting system and context sensitive environmental moves.

Next, I think they should focus on density instead of purely being large. Did they actual handcraft the whole thing?

They did city density in IV. Now they've spread it out a bit while offering more of everything. it's the best of both worlds. And yes it's all hand crafted.

delta25

Banned
Being that the alamo sea is GTA 5' equivalent to the real life Salton sea I'm really hoping there's going to be some cool derelict buildings to explore in and around the sea and the sandy shores area.

CF22

Here's a comparison I just did of the leaked map compared to LA. I used the scale at the bottom of the leaked map considering 1 mi. = 5280 ft. and Google Map's legend for LA. It's actually pretty big, I'll do a proper San Andreas comparison if I find an accurate scale.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5527/9719224031_fbec9a3edf_o.jpg

Edit: Woah, the map is as wide as the distance from the 405 freeway to PCH on Santa Monica Blvd. or Wilshire. Here's the San Andreas comparison:

RagnarokX

That's a huge-ass lake...

Based on the name it's based on the Salton Sea, which is currently not a natural lake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_Sea

R4CHCxO.jpg

It was recreated in 1905 when the Alamo Canal overflowed and nearly diverted the Colorado River permanently into Souther California. If they hadn't stopped it it would have been one of the biggest ecological disasters in history.

They thought it would just dry up, but it never did. Opportunists tried to turn the lake into a resort, but the stagnant nasty water didn't catch on. Now it's surrounded by ghost resorts.

As for natural lakes, Tulare Lake was even bigger:

JZOXiPW.jpg

It was the biggest freshwater lake west of the Great Lakes. The rivers that fed it were all dammed up, so it doesn't really exist anymore. Sometimes heavy rainfall can cause it to return.

Sylent01

Does anyone know if discolored band of ocean water off the coastline is indicative of the playable area underwater? If it is, there is an awful lot of underwater area to explore.

Raven77

A lot of people seem to be forgetting that this is the first GTA game to allow you to EXPLORE THE OCEANS...this adds significantly to the size of the game world as comparing just the land mass is not accurate.

ezekial45

Banned
I can't wait for the easter eggs. The glorious easter eggs.

Hell, I'd be ok if they put in Big Foot or the Ghost Car. Just for the hell of it.

Argh! I so want to get this at launch, but I just know they will release next gen versions. I guess YouTube videos will sustain me. I think I'll love the transition from urban to rural. I hope they have a decent and realistic depiction of suburbs in between.

lem0n

That is... large. So I guess that rumor of an hour round trip around the island must be true? I hope so!

Great info, RagnarokX. I won't have time for this game for a while (hoping for a next-gen port, actually), but I love the world-building involved.

Top Bottom