• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

Alfredo

Finally beat it. 124 hours and 41 minutes.

Man, that Igor reveal would've been freaking awesome if the P3/P4 English VA came back to do real Igor's voice. Ughhh, such a shame...

There weren't a lot of references, apart from Rise.

Chie got mentioned on the Leblanc TV, but not by name.

It'd be pretty hard to come up with a justification to visit Inaba , which is supposed to be the middle of nowhere.

And the timeskip is significantly bigger here, P3 was mostly in 2009, P4 was mostly 2011 , P5 is mostly 2016 (it'd be even larger but P5 wasn't set as far in the future as P3 / P4 which were set almost 3 years ahead, whereas P5's framing device was 2 months ahead , while most of its story was 5 months behind. )

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I thought the game would have benefitted by breaking the structure of repetition up sometimes. Why do I always get text messages from my stupid group chat of morons as soon as I get home? They could pop up randomly and maybe make them feel a little more organic.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I thought the game would have benefitted by breaking the structure of repetition up sometimes. Why do I always get text messages from my stupid group chat of morons as soon as I get home? They could pop up randomly and maybe make them feel a little more organic.

Also why does it have to be about the case all the time?

Some random chat about whatevers could probably help make the group dynamic seem more casual.

P5 says she's still a cadet.

Ah alright.

Finishing thoughts after 160 hours (in Japanese so I was extra slow):

--WARNING WALL OF TEXT--
I'm jealous of people who have been playing the series in Japanese all this time, since you got to hear the real Igor at the end of the game - even if it was pieced together from old clips. The dub used a new VA, so the "real" Igor is just as foreign as the imposter Igor.

The game doesn't come out and say this, which I think it definitely should have, but I think Haru was able to get over her father's death so easily because he was honestly a complete piece of shit. And not even like "typical deadbeat dad" piece of shit, but "full-on mustache-twirling villain" piece of shit.

I agree that Yusuke feels very unique even among a cast of outsiders and outcasts. His design feels much more SMT than the rest of the cast, too.

Fuck Morgana and the fedora he rode in on.

tsundoku

Pretty sick of reading posts about "The Crimson" from people who don't actually know why p4g is called "The Golden" and posts about Sae Nijima from people who didn't play arena and think adults can summon personas

Guess Who

Banned
Pretty sick of reading posts about "The Crimson" from people who don't actually know why p4g is called "The Golden" and posts about Sae Nijima from people who didn't play arena and think adults can summon personas

adults can summon personas. adults summon personas in the arena games

Never mind the bizarre allegation that adults can't summon Personas, I'm still hung up on the implication that the Arena stories are worth paying attention to.

Adults (or whatever the hell the Velvet Room attendants are) summon Persona in the mainline games too. And Koromaru was a mature dog too IIRC.

That's not even counting a lot of the Persona 2 cast.

tsundoku

I thought multiple of the p3 cast had lost their personas in the arena storyline?

also the golden is the name of the p4 group's time capsule

Guess Who

Banned
Never mind the bizarre allegation that adults can't summon Personas, I'm still hung up on the implication that the Arena stories are worth paying attention to.

the arena games also take lore elements from the P3 club book, thus canonizing that giant piece of garbage, and therefore the arena games can never be forgiven

I thought multiple of the p3 cast had lost their personas in the arena storyline?

nope, all of them still have their personas

what

edit: apparently this in the p4 golden anime, which is both awful and not canon

The culprit in Persona 4 is also an adult who can summon a Persona, and according to the MegaTen wiki they're older than Sae is.

Also, Sae is apparently six feet tall? What?!

Taruranto

I always found the whole discussion funny because there are literally more adult Persona users in P2 than teenagers. Even with the shaky Persona lore, eh.

the arena games also take lore elements from the P3 club book, thus canonizing that giant piece of garbage, and therefore the arena games can never be forgiven
Okay, "P3 Club Book" is a new set of words for me, tell me what that is, I'm morbidly curious.

Literally what are you talking about?

I've played the original version of P4 once and Golden twice, there's no time capsule in any of it.

Guess Who

Banned
Okay, "P3 Club Book" is a new set of words for me, tell me what that is, I'm morbidly curious.

tl;dr a japanese-only book covering persona 1, 2, and 3's stories, with an in-depth section on persona 3 lore that brings us such gems as "nyx was an extradimensional alien being capable of eating planets that crashed into earth and became the moon", "the collective unconscious exists because nyx is made of magic fairy dust that spread all over the world when she collided with earth and caused life to evolve intelligence", and "the items from P3's easy mode that revive you if you die are actually shards of Nyx that can be used to make Dark Hour-capable motorcycles and robot girls" (this is the main one arena canonizes)

.JayZii

Banned
Is this what happens when you try to build a chronology and canon from random assorted wikis?

I think we may have a visitor from the Berenstein Dimension.

tl;dr a japanese-only book covering persona 1, 2, and 3's stories, with an in-depth section on persona 3 lore that brings us such gems as "nyx was an extradimensional alien being capable of eating planets that crashed into earth and became the moon", "the collective unconscious exists because nyx is made of magic fairy dust that spread all over the world when she collided with earth and caused life to evolve intelligence", and "the items from P3's easy mode that revive you if you die are actually shards of Nyx that can be used to make Dark Hour-capable motorcycles and robot girls" (this is the main one arena canonizes)
Oh right, the... feathers? Or something? From Labrys's story?

Attempts to add deeper lore to Persona always fall on their face. It's part of the reason I think the Arena games are so screwed up (outside of the writing in general just being ass). P3, 4, and 5 are basically self contained stories that do away with stronger lore cohesion for better thematic cohesion within themselves. Like, P3 and P4 aren't compatible really at all.

I unironically love the sound of all of these things. Gives me Evangelion vibes.

Guess Who

Banned
Oh right, the... feathers? Or something? From Labrys's story?

Attempts to add deeper lore to Persona always fall on their face. It's part of the reason I think the Arena games are so screwed up (outside of the writing in general just being ass).

persona 3 in particular wanted so badly to be evangelion they even thought they'd put out a companion book explaining how the whole story actually ties in to ancient history and the development of humanity

Goodstyle

Adults lose their ability to summon their Persona in Trinity Souls. Did you also forget about the P4 culprit?

Lunar15

Yup, this got really bad near the end. It's like they were afraid you'd forget what the plot was if you finished the palace too early.

Uhh my first two confidants maxed out were Death and Sun. I don't think that is very common.

Sun isn't as surprising as you might think, since he's one of the two confidants (the other being Mishima) that doesn't need you to hang out with to advance, and there isn't any kind of progression gate in his storyline besides having to work at the start. Also helps that Yoshida's bonuses are some of the best to get.

I always thought "The Golden" was just referring to the golden shadow in Jungian psychology:

Consider the truth that Creation needs you to be your most vibrant and creative self. Life wants to express something unique and powerful that will help to heal the world in some way. Why do so few of us live a n empowered creative life? The answer is hidden in our "Golden Shadow."

When we speak of the shadow we usually think about the more shameful and frightening aspects of ourselves that we have disowned. We often do not consider that we also disown our bright light.

Psychiatrist Carl Jung called our submerged creative potential the "Golden Shadow." We can find our golden shadow embedded in our intense admiration of other people. The bright qualities that we admire in others are the disowned aspects of our unlimited self.

The Golden Shadow is our submerged greatness. The Golden Shadow is our dismissed and unknown strengths. Our strengths wait, disguised within our deepest emotional pain and hurt.

The Golden Shadow is the soul part of ourselves that offers a particular strength of love and healing to the areas where we have experienced the most hurt and lack.

Death is sorta unusual because of the Charm gate (and having both her best Abilities by Rank 7) and Lovers and Chariot being easy to Max but Sun is fairly normal (automatic rank ups, no progression gates).

Amani

Okay so, the P4 Arena games were sick fighting games and I want P5 Arena to happen. I think they should go for a non-cannon story, and just go full on dumb dream match. Timeskip versions of the P4 crew, P3 crew, what if characters with no relation to whatever story they come up with (p3 protag, feMC), maaaaaybe P1 & 2 characters? I kinda want to see timeskipped versions of the P5 crew.

Or just make SMT Dream Match.

Is anyone else super disappointed the instrumental version of Last Surprise isn't even on the official soundtrack? It sounds so damn good.

Been looking everywhere for this, appreciate it.

Top Bottom