• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

I'm still bitter that they couldn't get Igor's old voice to come back

It kind of ruined the moment for me. I watched the Japanese version of the sequence, and it was far more special
Uh, what

Real Igor's voice is different in the Japanese version as well - the original actor passed away before the game went into production. Obviously, this isn't the case with the English version, but I'm not sure where your take is coming from.

(Incidentally, two more of the Japanese cast - the voices of Kaneshiro and Chihaya - passed away after recording their lines for this game.)

Uh, what

Real Igor's voice is different in the Japanese version as well - the original actor passed away before the game went into production. Obviously, this isn't the case with the English version, but I'm not sure where your take is coming from.

(Incidentally, two more of the Japanese cast - the voices of Kaneshiro and Chihaya - passed away after recording their lines for this game.)

Unless I'm remembering, no, he actually isn't. In the Japanese version, they reused voice clips from the older games. This is partly why he doesn't have many lines and the attendant takes over speaking for him.

Ctlead

Banned
Uh, what

I believe Atlus reused the original actor's lines in the JP version. So no, he wasn't changed.

Unless I'm remembering, no, he actually isn't. In the Japanese version, they reused voice clips from the older games. This is partly why he doesn't have many lines and the attendant takes over speaking for him.

I believe Atlus reused the original actor's lines in the JP version. So no, he wasn't changed.
Ah, whoops, misread the source a bit when I did quick research to verify this. I knew there had been recording reuse for previous projects but didn't realize P5 continued doing so.

Curufinwe

No, you're misunderstanding what I meant. In short, when Igor's Japanese VA died, Atlus showed a reluctance to replace him, and they reused previous lines of his in new projects. This is part of why everyone freaked out when they saw him in trailer PV01, because it was still up in the air if Igor was really going to be returning for P5 after all this.

So when his new voice was heard, the vast majority of the fans who knew about this situation then presumed that it was Atlus finally moving on with the character, and intentionally giving him a distinctive new voice instead of trying to mimic the old one. No one thought anything past that.

So when the fact that there WAS a reason for the change in voice happened, that took everyone by surprise, because it's not something they had been actively thinking about. This was set up from the very first voice you hear when starting the game.

1. There are twin Velvet Room attendants for a single host instead of one.
2. Igor doesn't fuse himself, the attendants do it.
3. Fusing is done in a very vicious way that is not the same as how the previous games were.
4. The Velvet Room host does not sign a contract or receive a key when entering this Velvet Room, a crucial element.
5. Neither of the attendants have a grimoire.
6. Instead of being a welcoming environment where the host's path appears open, this one is an oppressive one where his fate seems sealed.
7. Fake Igor saying "Welcome to MY Velvet Room" instead of "Welcome to the Velvet Room."

Etc.

All of these reasons are why this twist cannot just be said to be tacked on. It fits into the core of Persona 5's theme, as well as the motivations of the final boss. The spirit of rebellion extends towards the one thing in the series you wouldn't think you'd be rebelling against. This is why I say that those who have played previous titles in the Persona series, and have inevitably spent tons of time inside the Velvet Room and with Igor, would be particularly affected by this twist instead of those who have only played Persona 5.

This is a great breakdown which I hadn't seen before since I didn't finish the game and visit this thread till may.

Top Bottom