• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

Do we know if there are some bugs in the game? I haven't been able to buy the book needed for getting better at the batting cages because it hasn't appeared in my game. I also bought the P4 DLC costumes and they never appeared in the box in my room. I've bought other costumes and I can use them just fine, but not the P4 set for some reason.
The book should be on sale given you've gone batting at least once already. Also, did you close and restart the game application after buying the DLC?

The book should be on sale given you've gone batting at least once already. Also, did you close and restart the game application after buying the DLC?

oh... about that one...

Hmmm... I don't remember what happened at the time I bought that DLC. Since then I've bought the Persona 1 DLC, the free tuxedos and probably something else more. Didn't have problems with those.

RetroMG

Do we know if there are some bugs in the game? I haven't been able to buy the book needed for getting better at the batting cages because it hasn't appeared in my game. I also bought the P4 DLC costumes and they never appeared in the box in my room. I've bought other costumes and I can use them just fine, but not the P4 set for some reason.

Are you looking at the bookstore in Shibuya or Shinjuku? It's in the bookstore in the red light district. I had this problem too, and it was because I had my stores mixed up. I kept going to Shibuya to find it. (I was reading too fast online and read the name of the wrong area.)

Are you looking at the bookstore in Shibuya or Shinjuku? It's in the bookstore in the red light district. I had this problem too, and it was because I had my stores mixed up. I kept going to Shibuya to find it. (I was reading too fast online and read the name of the wrong area.)

Nope, Shinjuku. The guy in Yongenjyaya said it was the bookstore in front of Crossroads Bar.

I started my second play threw a couple days ago to work towards my Platinum Trophy and man...

Morgana is a dick to Riuji from the get go. I didn't see it during my first play through at release and Persona Gaf was talking about it but I see it now. I'm in the middle of the second dungeon and just recruited Yusuke and all I can think is that Riuji is a saint for not punting that cat.

I don't support violence against animals. One of you is likely to take the last line of my post the wrong way.

This play threw made me see Morgana differently. I hope Persona 6 doesn't have the mascot like Teddy or Morgana in it and if it does it goes back to Persona 3 with a pet dog or Parrot or something.

PK Gaming

I'd tolerate Morgana being an asshole to Ryuji if there was a good payoff to his character, but since there wasn't, it's really funny when people bag on Ryuji for being mean towards Morgana when the cat has so little redeeming qualities, LOL

I like the idea of unique palaces but it makes me not want to replay the game. The thought of slogging though Kaneshiro and Shido's palaces again....

3 and 4's dungeons were just randomly generated palette swaps but at least they don't overstay their welcome.

I was so hopeful after the first two as well.

2 > 1 > 4 > 6 > 5 > 3 > 7

DJChuy

By far the best line in the game...

DhJFGzU.jpg

I never cared about Mishima the first time around, but he grew on me. He's so goofy and feels like someone who would post at Gaf. I like how MC and others are a dick to him by default.

I like the idea of unique palaces but it makes me not want to replay the game. The thought of slogging though Kaneshiro and Shido's palaces again....

3 and 4's dungeons were just randomly generated palette swaps but at least they don't overstay their welcome.

I was so hopeful after the first two as well.

2 > 1 > 4 > 6 > 5 > 3 > 7

I miss Tartarus and the TV world (lol) in Persona 4. These unique palaces feel like a fucking chore to play through. They're boring and the puzzles (if you can call them that) are just boring time sinks. I love the music in them though.

I want a caterpillar.

:D

It's better than that cat.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'd tolerate Morgana being an asshole to Ryuji if there was a good payoff to his character, but since there wasn't, it's really funny when people bag on Ryuji for being mean towards Morgana when the cat has so little redeeming qualities, LOL

Yeah, and like Gridlock mentions Morgana is the initial asshole to begin with. Dumbass cat.

sasliquid

By far the best line in the game...

DhJFGzU.jpg

I never cared about Mishima the first time around, but he grew on me. He's so goofy and feels like someone who would post at Gaf. I like how MC and others are a dick to him by default.

I felt the same... until he said Kek

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Whoo I can finally participate in this thread. :D First Persona game I've really played (didn't get past the P4G intro sections, and I played a decent amount of Dancing All Night but don't think that counts :p) and tl;dr it was a delight.

Unfortunately my game timer is off because I spent a lot of the game playing on Vita in chunks (what a lifesaver -- P5 is now by far my most-played Vita game after owning the system since launch) so there was a decent amount of standby time, but I probably poured ~80 hours into clearing the game. I actually didn't use any guides other than to get the confidant answers (which felt justified given how bad the translation was in parts) and the fusion calculator (though I only wound up using it just to finish the Twin Wardens challenges -- otherwise most of my fusing was just "oh neat, I can make this higher-level Persona, k here we go!") and the game felt incredibly exciting partly because I really never knew what I was in for.

Ultimately the aesthetics of the game were really what put it over the top. Put some grimdark generic fantasy adventure in place of this, and I probably would have bailed five hours in. But the style of the game got me hooked and kept me going through the early levels, and then all the social stuff and fascinating mechanics like fusions carried me into hours 40+ easily. In the non-spoiler threads, I saw people often mention that most of the palaces were too long, but I really didn't feel this way at all until the ship. The mouse parts and just constantly running through really similar enemies there were the first time anything felt tedious to me. I actually grinded like absolute nuts throughout the game (like FFX way back in the day there was just something about the game that made me want to grind and made grinding quite fun and relaxing) so nothing was every really a significant challenge for me (I did die a couple times, but didn't have to come up with crazy builds ever or anything) but the combat was still always engaging except when my levels really got out of sync with what was happening in Mementos, but even then once you get Futaba leveled up Mementos is pretty easy to blitz through (ahhh, all the grinding I did there).

Social aspects were definitely a game-changer in terms of making the game interesting beyond just combat and story progression. I love the idea, though I do almost wish they had different minigames or something instead of just dialogue selection but I'm probably just getting greedy. :p

Some minor parts of the story were a touch corny, though when I felt something was off I usually chalked it up to the bad translation. I actually thought most of the EN voice actors were great though (except maybe Sae and probably a couple other minor characters I'm forgetting), even if their lines weren't always the best. Actually considering doing a NG+ even though I rarely even beat games this long anymore, much less NG+ them just to max out the last few confidants I missed (due to my non-cheating I didn't realize Sun persona couldn't be advanced after November -- d'oh!) and just to have another quick romp through everything. I don't know if they'll do a P5G, Dancing All Night, or a painting game with Yusuke or whatever but I'd definitely be up for another game with the cast.

Other options such as San Francisco could also be experiencing similar storms. Hawaii is much easier.
I miss Tartarus and the TV world (lol) in Persona 4. These unique palaces feel like a fucking chore to play through. They're boring and the puzzles (if you can call them that) are just boring time sinks. I love the music in them though.
Tartarus is one of the worst things in the history of video games. TV world is barely better

For taht matter, Mementos sucks too, but at least the level design there has some variety and curves. However its back to the horrid repetitive design with some changing colors that was Tartarus. At least you can basically skip right through it quickly.

I cannot believe I'm actually reading some people prefer RNG palette swapped hallways over hand-crafted unique dungeons.

I mean, I know opinions and all but... damn.

Can we discuss why the pilot conveniently decided to divert to Hawaii just because he couldn't land in Los Angeles.

I don't remember the exact explanation used in game, but I would think if there was a risk of the weather in LA being so bad that they couldn't land a plane then the flight would have been cancelled to begin with. The school could easily make a snap decision to rebook the students for a different destination (given these schools are rich enough to fly students out to another country for a week, wtf)

I don't remember the exact explanation used in game, but I would think if there was a risk of the weather in LA being so bad that they couldn't land a plane then the flight would have been cancelled to begin with. The school could easily make a snap decision to rebook the students for a different destination (given these schools are rich enough to fly students out to another country for a week, wtf)

Well both Shujin and Keisei are private schools so...

Anyways the worst plot hole(?) I found in the game was the calling card to Shido: like they broadcasted a message from the Metaverse and while they could record it and then send it later my doubt is how could they record it in the first place. Their phones work partially when they are in the Metaverse, but Futaba had to record some messages and calculate the time to send a signal to Joker's phone to take Sae and Akechi out of the metaverse. Technology acts weird in the Persona games.

Problem is that the dungeons in this game aren't actually that good?

They are good, and they are prettier as well. The puzzles, while they're not that big of a deal, are entertaining enough to add something to the exploration. If you ever felt a difference between exploring Mementos and exploring a Palace then basically that's the difference between exploring dungeons in P4 vs exploring palaces in P5. That's not a difficult concept to grasp imo.

Well both Shujin and Keisei are private schools so...

Anyways the worst plot hole(?) I found in the game was the calling card to Shido: like they broadcasted a message from the Metaverse and while they could record it and then send it later my doubt is how could they record it in the first place. Their phones work partially when they are in the Metaverse, but Futaba had to record some messages and calculate the time to send a signal to Joker's phone to take Sae and Akechi out of the metaverse. Technology acts weird in the Persona games.
I just assumed either they made outfits resembling their Metaverse selves or edited the video in post to make it look like so.

Joker and Morgana had no shortage of free time after all.

... yep, that's my headcanon now. Joker and Morgana spent the hours they would normally be at school slaving over a sewing machine at his work desk in the attic.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
They are good, and they are prettier as well. The puzzles, while they're not that big of a deal, are entertaining enough to add something to the exploration. If you ever felt a difference between exploring Mementos and exploring a Palace then basically that's the difference between exploring dungeons in P4 vs exploring palaces in P5. That's not a difficult concept to grasp imo.

See the thing is I can really easily avoid fights in mementos, just like the dungeons in P3/4.

I can't in 5. Not that it's that much of a problem because if you fight everything in the way you'll be pretty much at the right level, but between having to hide and wait to do a sneak atttack and how not challenging any of the non-boss fights are really there are plenty of stuff to drag the pacing down. And if I want to avoid fights I have to deal with the alarm system which isn't really that big of a deal really, but I feel like the dungeon layouts kinda make it not that conducive to avoiding fights compared to 3/4?

The stealth system ended up being more annoying to deal with than trying to hit shadows at the back of their head.

Also the dungeons aren't that good. I really don't think they are. If anything I still think that Persona Q still has the best dungeons in the series. The puzzles in 5 are real bad, especially after dungeon 4. Palace 7 in particular feels like a massive waste of time.

I mean in the end I don't come to persona for top tier JRPG combat, if anything that's always the worst part of the series, I just don't think that it's that big of an improvement really.

It's a mentality thing as well. If you do RNG dungeons I'll be thinking "oh this shit, yeah ok I guess I can deal with it", but when you move up to bespoke dungeons I'm going to judge it to other JRPGs with bespoke dungeons and 5's is pretty mediocre.

Sneaking is actually almost completely unnecessary at 0%. You can approach enemies in any direction except head on and still get the ambush as long as you're not running when they're within a half turn of seeing you.

If you really don't want to get into too many fights, there's always instakill from Ryuji's confidant link, but it's almost detrimental to take that if you're after experience or money as an instakill earns neither.

PK Gaming

See the thing is I can really easily avoid fights in mementos, just like the dungeons in P3/4.

I can't in 5. Not that it's that much of a problem because if you fight everything in the way you'll be pretty much at the right level, but between having to hide and wait to do a sneak atttack and how not challenging any of the non-boss fights are really there are plenty of stuff to drag the pacing down. And if I want to avoid fights I have to deal with the alarm system which isn't really that big of a deal really, but I feel like the dungeon layouts kinda make it not that conducive to avoiding fights compared to 3/4?

The stealth system ended up being more annoying to deal with than trying to hit shadows at the back of their head.

Also the dungeons aren't that good. I really don't think they are. If anything I still think that Persona Q still has the best dungeons in the series. The puzzles in 5 are real bad, especially after dungeon 4. Palace 7 in particular feels like a massive waste of time.

I mean in the end I don't come to persona for top tier JRPG combat, if anything that's always the worst part of the series, I just don't think that it's that big of an improvement really.

It's a mentality thing as well. If you do RNG dungeons I'll be thinking "oh this shit, yeah ok I guess I can deal with it", but when you move up to bespoke dungeons I'm going to judge it to other JRPGs with bespoke dungeons and 5's is pretty mediocre.

Couple of things:

In the well designed dungeons, avoiding enemies and speeding past them is honestly pretty easy. Even mediocre in like dungeon 5, you still have that run button to get you the hell out of dodge. The 7th dungeon is borderline irredeemable, though.

Hard mode does a good job of making each encounter feel worthwhile so you aren't mindlessly killing everything. Perhaps too good, since it can result in some cheap kills. The main issue with P5's balance is that the default difficulty is way too easy.

I'm not sure I agree with Persona Q having the best dungeons either, given how much of a gigantic slog dungeons 3 and 4 are, especially when compared to typical EO games. The pacing in that game especially slows to a crawl real quick by the 3rd dungeon (though the final one is pretty good).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I just moved into my own apartment and I gotta say, leaving on the PS4 with the instrumental of "I'm a Shape Shifter" playing on the Persona 5 theme is comfy as fuck.

Thankfully my place is nicer than Joker's, though I wish I had a cool coffee shop below to chill out at.

Antiwhippy

Yeah in the end I just ran up to them and hit them. You really don't need the advantage that much anyway. Which just kinda makes me feel eh overall on the stealth system.

I mean whatever, as I've said, JRPG combat isn't what I come to persona for.

Couple of things:

In the well designed dungeons, avoiding enemies and speeding past them is honestly pretty easy. Even mediocre in like dungeon 5, you still have that run button to get you the hell out of dodge. The 7th dungeon is borderline irredeemable, though.

Hard mode does a good job of making each encounter feel worthwhile so you aren't mindlessly killing everything. Perhaps too good, since it can result in some cheap kills. The main issue with P5's balance is that the default difficulty is way too easy.

I'm not sure I agree with Persona Q having the best dungeons either, given how much of a gigantic slog dungeons 3 and 4 are, especially when compared to typical EO games. The pacing in that game especially slows to a crawl real quick by the 3rd dungeon (though the final one is pretty good).

Oh yeah, I agree that it's probably my cognition (badumtsh) that fights are more unavoidable. Probably wasn't too used to how the alarm system really works early on and didn't catch on until its too late).

I definitely still think that Q has better dungeons. I agree that 4 can be a little sloggish but I liked 3. Definitely not the best EO dungeons but the best Persona dungeons for me.

Zukkoyaki

I feel like I'm in the minority in thinking 5 > 4 > 3.
Those are my exact rankings

Story and characters can be debated all day every day, but each one kept improving on the gameplay and quality of life design which ultimately made each subsequent experience more enjoyable for me.

5 feels like the ultimate refinement of the formula established in 3.

Those are my exact rankings

Story and characters can be debated all day every day, but each one kept improving on the gameplay and quality of life design which ultimately made each subsequent experience more enjoyable for me.

5 feels like the ultimate refinement of the formula established in 3.

Here, here.

I actually prefer a lot of 4's story, but man it's hard getting back into the old battle system. Say want you want about story and aesthetics, mechanically Persona has undoubtly been greatly improved with each iteration.

You can avoid shadows in Palaces, there's a window of time after fighting a shadow that you can use to get away from others that may be nearby. In fact, if you fight a shadow and another is nearby and doesn't know you are there it will reset its position so you don't have to deal with it. And if you get the attention of several shadows you can actually have to deal with them at a disadvantageous position, which might help with the feeling that they are just too easy. Going from hiding place to hiding place also helps to avoid fights too. There are restrictions in the same way there were restrictions in both P3 and P4 but you can still play however you want (you don't get tired nor sick in P5). I really don't understand people who just want to rush through a dungeon in rpgs avoiding fights, and I'm saying this as someone who actually had fun exploring Tartarus, to me rushing is the equivalent to play a game without wanting to have fun. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.

Persona Q is a game entirely dedicated to explore dungeons, of course they have to be fun (and sometimes the dungeons are fucking annoying imo), at the same time though, a focus in dungeons made the rest of the elements of the game weaker: story, character interactions, sidequests, character development; and the fact that they were based on an existing IP made the actual exploration and battle system less fun than EO's. And now that you bring Persona Q to the table, some of the puzzles of it are actually less fun than P5's imo: sometimes going from floor to floor respawning all the enemies you just killed felt like the devs were trying to extend your times in a dungeon as much as possible, but it may not feel that way because PQ is a game designed for a handheld system that you can suspend at any moment and then go back into it.

You say that the best part of the game is the dating sim element, and I agree that's the reason why the game got popular, but that's not the only reason I play Persona games. I mentioned this in the Import thread but without having a dungeon to explore between Futaba's and Okumura's Palaces because at that time I bought the item that let's you regain SP in each turn (which allowed me to complete Futaba's palace in just a couple of days), I felt that a game entirely dedicated to the social aspects was not as good as many people made me believe. That's why I keep saying to people that completing palaces in just one visit is a self imposed burden: the palaces are designed to be beaten in several incursions (maybe around 4 I'd say) and then you have Mementos to keep exploring dungeons to keep some sort of balance. I'm not saying this was your problem with the game, but to me is pretty telling that there are some people who bring dungeon exploration as a negative element while there are others who believe dungeons had never been as fun as they were in P5.

In the end, while certainly there are many ways to play these games I still believe the dungeons are objectively better by virtue of them being designed by a group of people instead of being randomly generated. Yes, I said "objectively", now the internet can destroy me by my choice of words.

Really like how they tied non-party Social Links into the actual dungeon crawling. They feel like straight up chores in 3 and 4.

O and love love love swapping party members mid-fight. Feels like a real heist film where each member is a specialist in some way.

Persona Q is a game entirely dedicated to explore dungeons, of course they have to be fun (and sometimes the dungeons are fucking annoying imo), at the same time though, a focus in dungeons made the rest of the elements of the game weaker: story, character interactions, sidequests, character development; and the fact that they were based on an existing IP made the actual exploration and battle system less fun than EO's. And now that you bring Persona Q to the table, some of the puzzles of it are actually less fun than P5's imo: sometimes going from floor to floor respawning all the enemies you just killed felt like the devs were trying to extend your times in a dungeon as much as possible, but it may not feel that way because PQ is a game designed for a handheld system that you can suspend at any moment and then go back into it.

Counterpoint:
uJmOtNq.gif

Antiwhippy

I agree that persona without another element like dungeon crawling, and if it was just a pure school life management sim, would not be as compelling, but I just kinda want it to be better? Of course comparing it to a pure dungeon crawler like Q isn't fair, but man, I do actually wish it could be of the same quality. Like I thought the first 4 was pretty alright, but as I've said, dungeons after that seem to really fall off in quality, especially 5-7.

And if you want to talk about padding, the whole dungeon leading to Yald went on for way too long.

Persona Q is a boring fucking slog that I only managed to play through because it had persona in the name. The only redeeming thing in that entire game was to finally have a scene where Chie shows some appreciation for Yosuke

also palace 6 was great for how it mixed up the progression. 5 and 6 both seemed to want to make smaller palaces that had length due to puzzles or progression blocks, its just that 6 did a lot more fun job with it.

I'm pretty sure on replay, 5 is the shortest palace, as the puzzles take no time at all when you already know them, and the total floor space of that palace feels like the least of all of them.

I can't count and have no idea which palaces people are referring to by number.

in order of my preference

4 The Pyramid - My favorite overall from an atmosphere, story, music, and gameplay standpoint. I think it really helped how much I cared about Futaba's plight.

1 The Castle - Barely loses to the pyramid. Excels at all facets.

6 The Casino - Excellent music, and a really nice change of pace on gameplay

3 the Flying Bank - Paying attention to the lights was a nice little twist that didn't cause any kind of painful setback if you messed up. Loved the design of the final lock.

2 The Museum - The villain was weak and I didn't think the palace outside of the warped corridor to be that interesting.

5 The Space Station - Short, the robot workers were super on the nose and didn't lend to much of a deeper understanding of the villain. Music was ok

7 The Boat - really just goes on too long. The music, boss fights (loved having a ton of mini bosses), and design were all great. However the largest mouse section could've been scrapped and the whole palace improved.

Lunar15

Pyramid > Casino > Museum > Castle > Bank > Mementos Depths > Boat > Spaceport

Boat's biggest problem is less the mouse puzzles and more the fact that the interior mazes are so narrow that all fights are unavoidable and near constant due to the fact that enemies respawn when you move from area to area. Fix that and it's actually a great dungeon.

SoulUnison

Banned
Huh. Did Akechi have his "second awakening?"

I just realized the theme for the playable party members is that they go, generally, from a "historical" trickster Persona to a "mythological" trickster Persona, and Akechi's "true" Persona seems to be Loki, who's definitely mythological.

Top Bottom