• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS ~ Splatoon 2 Spoilers Thread ~ SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Neiteio

I hope that was sufficient warning in the thread title.

So the final battle for Splatoon 2's Hero Mode is up on YouTube. You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC2dciA-gnQ

I'm... a bit disappointed, to be honest.

The boss is DJ Octavio, once again, in the same mech from Splatoon 1, slightly re-skinned here with brass knuckles and a platform for Callie to perform.

And this time, instead of the fight being a skill check of everything you learned in the campaign, spanning multiple platforming challenges between increasingly difficult combat phases, it's just... An arena battle. In one room. Not unlike a regular boss battle.

Pure combat, in other words, aside from the last phase where you ride grind rails in a circle around the top of the room. Yawn.

What made the first game's final boss so special is how it tested you on all of the gimmicks from the previous missions: ink rails, sponge blocks, ink geysers, invisible pathways, etc. I was expecting something similar here, but with stuff like the dash pads, the bounce pads, the mats you roll out, the grapple links, etc. Instead, we only get the grind rails. And the rainmaker, I suppose.

No enemies, either. Just the boss himself, fighting with fists you knock back at him. He seems to have fewer attacks as a result. It all just feels a bit tame. And Callie herself? Why was she even abducted and hypnotized? She doesn't do anything except sing a so-so remix of Bomb Rush Blush.

There also doesn't appear to be any real conclusion to the campaign. No heart-to-heart time with Callie and Marie. Just DJ back in a snowglobe, and credits very similar to the first game.

I love Callie's design, though:

osutu.gif

screenshot_2017-07-19ofbxd.png

screenshot_2017-07-19okbw0.png

screenshot_2017-07-19wpx2g.png

screenshot_2017-07-19pca3t.png

screenshot_2017-07-19gxaa5.png

screenshot_2017-07-19vwl0o.png

So this means that Pearl will be the mind controlled villain in Splatoon 3 since she'll lose the final Splatfest!

On topic: since I didn't play Splatoon 1 I'll be happy with this final boss. I don't have any memories of the former one.

Kouriozan

Yep, I was also super disappointed by that final boss, and the recycled last phase music :/
Splatoon 1's was wayyyy better in that regard.

Neiteio

So this means that Pearl will be the mind controlled villain in Splatoon 3 since she'll lose the final Splatfest!

On topic: since I didn't play Splatoon 1 I'll be happy with this final boss. I don't have any memories of the former one.
It's still a high-quality fight. It's just a bit mild compared to the first, since the first had you battling the boss across like a half-dozen platforms, each with different layouts, and each connected by a platforming obstacle course that represented one of the skills learned in the campaign, like spraying ink to reveal invisible pathways, or to expand sponge blocks that form stepping stones. This time around, it's pretty much just a straight-up fight.

Also, like many things in Splatoon 2, it has a distinct whiff of "been there, done that," which again, is surprising given how effortlessly creative the first game felt.

It's still a high-quality fight. It's just a bit mild compared to the first, since the first had you battling the boss across like a half-dozen platforms, each with different layouts, and each connected by a platforming obstacle course that represented one of the skills learned in the campaign, like spraying ink to reveal invisible pathways, or to expand sponge blocks that form stepping stones. This time around, it's pretty much just a straight-up fight.
Hmmm...I prefer a straight up fight sometimes. So this sounds even better to me.

Neiteio

Hmmm...I prefer a straight up fight sometimes. So this sounds even better to me.
I'd still recommend picking up Splatoon 1 at some point, if you can. The two battles definitely stand on their own.

On another note, I look forward to the inevitable amiibo two-pack of Rockstar Callie and Kimono Marie.

DNAbro

Well Splatoon 1 is probably one my fav final boss fights in any game. Shit is incredibly hype and well designed. I was hoping they would one up it but yeah this looks a bit more tame.

Those credits are really nice though.

All I wanted was a battle with Callie singing against me. It was obvious to me that she was going to be on the opposing side for some reason. So bring it on DJ Octa-Callie.

I still need to buy the Squid Sisters amiibo...

Neiteio

I don't understand what you mean by Twitter spoiling you. Is there a way I can fix the OP to avoid this? I thought adding "spoiler" to the title 10,000 times would be enough, but go figures there's still a way things go wrong.

I don't understand what you mean by Twitter spoiling you. Is there a way I can fix the OP to avoid this? I thought adding "spoiler" to the title 10,000 times would be enough, but go figures there's still a way things go wrong.
It's the pic mate. You probably could have put a normal game pic before that Callie one cause Twitter usually posts the first pic in the thread.

Neiteio

OK, I added a "Caution - Spoilers Ahead" image to the OP, before the first screen, because apparently Twitter highlights the first pic in the thread. Is it better now?

OK, I added a "Caution - Spoilers Ahead" image to the OP, before the first screen, because apparently Twitter highlights the first pic in the thread. Is it better now?
I think it's too late now.
I own a lot of amiibo, and the Squid Sisters amiibo are by far and away the highest quality, right up there with Wolf Link.
Don't make me more upset Neiteio....every day I enter stores to see if I can find them.

Hey man, I know that feel. I want to find the Guardian and Cloud P2 amiibo. :-(
Cloud P2 was back in stock yesterday 😯

I think he's sold out now. Hope you find a Guardian too though! They've been appearing a lot in my Best Buy recently.

Well, the search for a Callie and Marie amiibo continues!

Neiteio

*Goes on Twitter, top tweet shows spoiler image*

http://media3.giphy.com/media/Xj8orUvjQ2SLS/giphy.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Sorry dude, I honestly didn't know Twitter did this, or more to the point, that we had a Twitter account for new threads. I have "spoilers" written seven times in the thread title. I didn't anticipate this particular quirk.

I pm'd a mod asking them to get whoever runs that account to delete the tweet and retweet it now that I've updated the OP with a warning image.

FluxWaveZ

I pm'd a mod asking them to get whoever runs that account to delete the tweet and retweet it now that I've updated the OP with a warning image.

There are at least two different Twitter accounts that do this. It's pretty much too late to do anything about it. Next time, you'll know it's better to post a non-spoilery image first.

Neiteio

There are at least two different Twitter accounts that do this. It's pretty much too late to do anything about it. Next time, you'll know it's better to post a non-spoilery image first.
At least it's an image of Callie with her back turned, I suppose.

There also doesn't appear to be any real conclusion to the campaign. No heart-to-heart time with Callie and Marie.
This is really disappointing to me. :( I was looking forward to the campaign. I broke my hand recently though so I'm unable to play anyway, but still disappointing.

udivision

Is it the thong, the exposed midriff, or the thigh tattoo?

Yeah pretty much.

In an unrelated weird twist, because no one noticed that Marina's shorts go past her pelvis on one side, she's more modestly dressed in most fan art than in the game.

DNAbro

Man listening to the final boss music it's so disappointing in comparison to Splatoon 1. First phase and last phase of 1 were fucking amazing. The remixes of Squid Sisters songs are good but don't hold up in comparison.

Neiteio

I see the World 3 boss is a repeat from Splatoon 1 — Octostomp — but with some new twists, like gaining armor on his second phase.

Griss

Disappointing and more fodder for the Splatoon 1.5 brigade.

Was always going to be impossible to top the first game's boss but looks like they didn't really try that hard.

Still can't wait for the game though. Wish the switch didn't cost 900USD where I live.

Top Bottom