• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS ~ Splatoon 2 Spoilers Thread ~ SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Finaj

Slightly off-topic, but do you think the game will ever explain why Marina, an Octoling, is hanging out with the Inklings?

OrochiJR

Is there any word yet on how long the campaign is? I will probably tackle it before I make the jump to online. Hope you get good weapons for finishing it like in the first game.

samred

I would argue that the full game has many more tough challenges and hidden-item hunts than the original, along w/ a challenging hub world, which just about makes up for what I agree is a more disappointing (but still engaging) final level. I mean, the Splat1 final level was INSANE.

FYI, I'm unsure if beating the ENTIRE game (meaning, beating each level with EACH weapon) unlocks any upgraded boss fight or not.

Is there any word yet on how long the campaign is? I will probably tackle it before I make the jump to online. Hope you get good weapons for finishing it like in the first game.

Doesn't unlock weapons. I'd argue closer to 8-10 hours just to find ALL of the hidden scrolls, fish, and tickets. That doesn't even include getting slightly remixed versions of each level when you replay w/ a different weapon. (Kind of like the Amiibo "challenge" level unlocks from the first game, only without requiring Amiibo.)

RRockman

Banned
tF7hCYQ.png

oh my god

So glad they kept it

Alpha_eX

In from the twitter jumping straight to posting, smooth moves OP. I had an inlking this would happen so not a huge surprise.

Kinokou

I'm only here to for one thing: anyone able to tell me the rest of the N-zap kits and at which level we can get them?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
screenshot_2017-07-19pca3t.png

What an....interesting pose.

As someone who's never played Splatoon, knows next to nothing about it and is never likely to try it - that image is deeply upsetting. Makes me feel very uncomfortable in a number of ways. Looks like a mutated child dressed up in a "sexy" leather outfit. This is a Nintendo game?

Neiteio

As someone who's never played Splatoon, knows next to nothing about it and is never likely to try it - that image is deeply upsetting. Makes me feel very uncomfortable in a number of ways. Looks like a mutated child dressed up in a "sexy" leather outfit. This is a Nintendo game?
Callie is a young adult. Also an evolved form of squid.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's a squid

Callie is a young adult. Also an evolved form of squid.

The picture I'm looking at it's a person with legs and arms, hair, eyes, ears, teeth etc. This is not a photo of a squid wearing leather clothing.

If it's a young adult, fine, but it looks like Wind Waker Link age to me, which I think is probably too young to show visible underwear. It also doesn't make it any less disturbing to look at.

Neiteio

The picture I'm looking at it's a person with legs and arms, hair, eyes, ears, teeth etc. This is not a photo of a squid wearing leather clothing.

If it's a young adult, fine, but it looks like Wind Waker Link age to me, which I think is probably too young to show visible underwear. It also doesn't make it any less disturbing to look at.
Inklings are squid-people, to be more precise. They have a squid form, and a humanoid form. Callie is in her humanoid form here, which is why she looks more human but has pointy ears, etc. Just to clarify what I mean by "evolved squid."

Anyways, I don't find it disturbing, so to speak, although I do think this particular design is pushing things a bit. Still, Callie and Marie seem a bit aged-up from the kid Inklings you play. And they are pop stars, I suppose.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I'm not sure what this was supposed to point out - I get that they turn from squids into people now (I saw a video linked here where they dip into paint and become squids) but there's a huge difference between the image I was talking about and something like this:

That's Octodad, he's clearly an octopus wearing human clothes. The image from Splatoon is of a clearly human figure and looks like a young girl/woman dressed in a mildy provocative way (underwear showing, leather etc). You wouldn't look at it and say "that's a squid". Anyway, I'll stop before we get into "it's a robot that just happens to look like a schoolgirl but it's really 700 years old" territory, and just leave it at me not liking the art direction for the character. It felt super creepy to look at without knowing that it's supposed to be an adult.

Slightly off-topic, but do you think the game will ever explain why Marina, an Octoling, is hanging out with the Inklings?

Can this be the official spoiler thread? Because I need to know this as well.

If the octoling troopers are all actually wearing hypnoshades and are being controlled by DJ Octavio, I'll be so annoyed. So sick of brainwashed female antagonists.

Finished the story. LOVED the final boss, even if the method they used to get there was dumb (hypnoshades, come on). But I don't see what else you could do to get the Squid Sisters to turn on each other, and the result was amazing.

I'm glad I got evil Callie with a remix of Bomb Rush Blush, that's great.

I just sort of wish Off the Hook had something to do with the story aside from the news thing. Anything at all. What's cool about Splatoon 1 was that the faces of the game were part of the story. Here, they're just doing their own thing.

Also, I don't mind DJ Octavio coming back because holy shit he must have been playing ARMS in his time off. Put Octavio in ARMS.

Oh, and just like the first game, the final boss fight has different lines once you beat it.

Callie puts the hypnoshades back on because she says they look good on her.

"No one throws shade at my shades and gets away with it!"

Edit: Okay, the entire dialogue in this fight is hilarious

Marie: "This fight is reminding me of a certain splatfest..."
Callie: "SHUT IT, GRANDMA!"

She is actually 1000 years old so it's fine.

The boss is DJ Octavio, once again, in the same mech from Splatoon 1, slightly re-skinned here with brass knuckles and a platform for Callie to perform.

And this time, instead of the fight being a skill check of everything you learned in the campaign, spanning multiple platforming challenges between increasingly difficult combat phases, it's just... An arena battle. In one room. Not unlike a regular boss battle.

Pure combat, in other words, aside from the last phase where you ride grind rails in a circle around the top of the room. Yawn.

What made the first game's final boss so special is how it tested you on all of the gimmicks from the previous missions: ink rails, sponge blocks, ink geysers, invisible pathways, etc. I was expecting something similar here, but with stuff like the dash pads, the bounce pads, the mats you roll out, the grapple links, etc. Instead, we only get the grind rails. And the rainmaker, I suppose.

I just finished the game and posted pretty much exactly this sentiment in the OT—didn't see there was a spoiler thread. Quoting the relevant part without the spoiler tags:

I guess DJ Octavio is remaining in place as the official series rival like Bowser. That's all right by me, but the boss fight definitely felt like a step down from the first game, relying on the same fist-deflecting mechanic but without all the different tests of your movement skills and zone control that Splatoon 1 took advantage of to make the fight come off as a final exam on the entire game that came before it. Part of it is probably because this shorter fight, like everything else in Splatoon 2's Octo Canyon, is designed to permit completion with all nine weapons. I would have preferred more of an all-bets-off spectacle like the original Octavio fight, though, even if I had to run it nine times. This time it just felt like one of the five bosses of the game, and I actually found Octo Shower (boss 4) to be the best of the five, as it tested a bit of everything—aim accuracy, cover and control of high ground, ink spread to keep your movement flexible, closing in on the enemy position.

It also irritated me that the boss was a strict upgrade check. I went in with my Hero Shot at level 1, couldn't deflect a single fist, and was directly told by Marie in a tip to get out and grab an upgrade. Luckily I had enough cash on hand for it and wasn't stuck grinding, but I don't envy players who go in having spent their entire Octo Canyon bank on other things.

Loved the rest of the campaign, though. There were moments in missions in world 4 or 5 (waves of parachuting enemies, for instance) where I was distinctly thinking to myself, this is the kind of thing that was held off until the final boss last time around. Octavio in Splatoon 1 is a very hard act to follow, and I didn't expect him to be topped, but it was definitely a letdown that he showed up as, well, the fifth of five bosses (and not even the best of those). It was like two introductory phases of the Splatoon 1 fight—or, for that matter, the final boss of BotW, where
the Dark Beast Ganon is a round-and-round visual spectacle with its own separate weapon mechanics and isn't really a demanding skill check, just like the rail/Rainmaker phase here; the real fight is all in phase 1
—without that satisfying escalation where you keep on pushing, controlling more territory from one phase to the next, a crescendo of intensity.

It's a pity, as practically everything else about Splatoon 2's campaign is a strict improvement from its predecessor.

NotLiquid

As a big fan of Callie I can't help but feel she got severely shortchanged in this game.

Not in terms of being the "final boss" mind you, I thought that whole aspect was handled greatly, but considering the build up and payoff I really expected her to have more of a major "moment". Marie takes up so much of the spotlight throughout the stages and while I do think she probably makes for a more entertaining flavor commentator throughout the game than Callie would, the fact that Callie doesn't even have a real moment with her after you beat the final boss or that you can't even find Callie in the hub world after beating the game is a severe disappointment.

I was hoping we'd find out more about how she felt after losing the Splatfest, her relationship with Marie, let her have a bit of a moment to shine. While she does "return" for the second phase of the final boss I was hoping there'd be more of an emotional payoff. When coupled with the re-fight dialogue, even though it was entertaining, it almost kinda feels like the game is treating Callie as a big joke.

I remember saying I really didn't want Splatoon single-player DLC back when the first game came out but I kind of want a "Lost Levels" styled DLC now with Callie as the deuteragonist. Considering the Squid Sisters are already less of a thing in this game, even though I like Off The Hook, it sucks how Callie is even more of a non-factor. It makes me wish that final Splatfest never happened if that was what it was leading up to. Callie losing the Splatfest now kind of makes it look like people just don't want her around, and that just sucks.

Speaking of Off The Hook, a little disappointed that the single player didn't go into them despite Splatoon 1 using the single player to flesh out the Squid Sisters. It was one of the reasons they ended up being rather memorable. On one hand I do enjoy the idea a lot that an Octoling is just casually accepted into Inkling society, and that it's sort of confirmed now that Octavio is essentially brainwashing both Octarians and Inklings for his own selfish gain, but I wish the game dug deeper into that fact. They had the perfect opportunity to do so but weirdly decided not to.

Ah well. I guess I can foolishly hope for Splatoon 3. I want to hope that the devs realize how much people love these characters and want to see more of them. It's understandable that they might not have delved into these things in the first game since it was late Wii U, but for this game I kind of hope they put in the extra leg work.

So why Marina is there then? I mean Callie and Marie probably changed the entire Octo culture to love Inklings music losing their own identity in the process, even Octavio couldnt resists their music. The bad guy is fighting for his race to not forget their root even if is on a selfish way unless the Inlikngs have the resources to accept and maintain the other races

Raysoul

Sorry for the bump, I just wanna post how I'm also disappointed about the final boss. While the presentation is good, the actual final battle isn't as challenging as the one in Splatoon one. The final act is also a very easy flashy setpiece, compared to Splatoon 1's bullet hell in a tight corridor. The presentation is good, but that's it.

I know that there are updates for the multiplayer part of Splatoon 2, but I really wish they would also release a single player update for this game.

Top Bottom