• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens - It's True. All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Why didn't Kylo Force Pull the saber from Finn?

We're just gonna have to accept that some stuff is poorly written and roll with it.

Watch Rebels. Children of the Force are what they call force sensitive babies.

That alone and the fact that the force is genetical as we see once again in this movie makes midichlorians a thing. But they're obviously lost knowledge by this time.

But hey, if you want to do mental gymnastics, I won't stop you.

No film will likely mention it again, and the expanded canon can continue to use it but no future director or writer will touch midis with a ten foot pole.

Makes sense since J. J Abrams directed that, didn't he?

Yep. Those sequences are fun to watch, but very hollow. Every other scene in the film actually tied to some type of character development and that's why it didn't gell with me too much.

duckroll

also loved the alien Resistance pilots and the asian female... finally the galaxy has come a long way toward equality the past 30 years.

Though, the two LOST actors took me out of it for a moment!

Yeah I think towards the end of the film, cutting between all the characters both in the base and on the bombing run, it really hammered home the fact that this is ANH for the current generation, embracing diversity and wanting to open Star Wars up to as wide an audience as possible. It felt pretty good to see, regardless of the shortcomings in the narrative or the lack of originality in any of the film.

Just saw it, loved it and loved the characters despite the little flaws. Lupita's character was SO COOL!! She might be my fave after Rey. And I think I woulda liked Phasma more if I got to see her face... :/ Maybe next film. Definitely better than what I expected, so I'm happy.

Edit: Also, the representation was truely inspiring. I was so happy to see such a huge variety of people in the cast.

did anyone else feel Finn was really well adjusted for someone raised as a child soldier?

I cringed at a lot of his Whoos and cheesy lines.

This is the weirdest part of the fight... what is the purpose of hitting himself? Why not just force paralyze her?

My brain hurts.

In addition to Ren being weakened from his injuries and still mentally tormented after killing his father, I think the fact that Rey had discovered her abilities with the Force is another factor as to why he couldn't just paralyze her again.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Force push away?

He stopped a god damn plasma bolt or laser. Makes no sense.

Because then the fight would end in two seconds.

You can watch every single lightsaber fight from Episode 1 to 7 and in each one you could have ended the fight thousands of times if they used force powers.

Oddduck

Out of the three directors, I think Rian Johnson has the toughest job if you ask me. But he's very talented so I'm sure he'll pull it off and make a great film.

In my opinion, the second movie is usually the most important part of any trilogy.

Usually the first movies in a trilogy (Batman Begins, The Force Awakens) are more character driven, and they're intended to just set up and introduce new characters.

But it's the second movie (Empire Strikes Back, The Dark Knight) where the story has to get more plot heavy and deeper.

Even if Colin Trevarro fucks up, people will just excuse it and say, "Well, the third movies in most trilogies are usually the weakest. The Dark Knight Rises, Return of the Jedi, Spider-Man 3, Jurassic Park 3, Terminator 3, The Godfather part 3".

The benchmarks for the fight choreography have changed since ROTJ. I can assure you if that were filmed today Luke would be more "skilled"

Nevertheless it is clearly established that Rey is extremely adept with a melee weapon and has some combat experience, whereas Luke was a farmboy

Being adept with a staff and hand-to-hand combat doesn't mean you can pick up a lightsaber and swing it around like a Jedi. Luke trained with a Jedi master and it still took him another movie before he stopped having his ass handed to him by Vader. But I know this is one of those topics that people seem entrenched on, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

I can agree that Jedi fighting levels changed over the course of the OT; the Obi-Wan and Vader fight was geriatric compared to ROTJ, though that was partly due to technology constraints with the sabers. But IMO they got to silly levels in the prequels and ROTJ is a good compromise between dramatic tension and eye-catching action.

I think they might have put him there for some time when he worked at the Starkiller but the was a long time ago and since then he got a spot in Phasma's unit.

That's a pretty good explanation, thanks. I wasn't really sure where Finn was stationed before he escaped; I guess he was on the Star Destroyer?

duckroll

Since some of you have seen the movie a bunch of times, does anyone remember exactly which point of the movie the exchange between Ren and Snoke happens where he says "There has been an awakening, have you felt it?". Since it clearly wasn't at the end of the movie, what does the "awakening" even refer to? It's not Rey is it?

a916

did anyone else feel Finn was really well adjusted for someone raised as a child soldier?

I cringed at a lot of Whoos and cheesy lines.

Yeah, it rubbed me the wrong way... him up in Phasma's face comedically like... very Disney/Marvel of them to do that. This is someone who took you from your parents and trained you to kill innocent lives... the "happy go lucky" reaction is not one I expect out of that character.

Vice

This is the weirdest part of the fight... what is the purpose of hitting himself? Why not just force paralyze her?

My brain hurts.
Dude is unstable. He had just killed his dad, got shot by Uncle Chewie, saw what he felt was his birthright used by a traitor and then stolen from his grasp by some junk scavenger. He threw big fits over a lot less earlier in the movie and during those times he just swung his saber around in anger. Same thing with his last fit against Rey and Finn.

Chitown B

skywalker

Not Skywalker

Kenobi-Skywalker-Solo

Saw it tonight. So good. The first Star Wars movie in 30 years.

We'll find out. The obvious is Skywalker, so I don't think they'll be going with that.

Jarrus
Please...

Palpatine.

ok so obviously I didn't miss anything.

and it's not Skywalker. She says "Luke Skywalker? I thought he was a myth"

I think it's annoying they avoided her last name. Fin doesn't have one because he was a number, but Rey obviously would have a last name. She's not Madonna.

So as I said in the non-spoiler thread, I thought TFA was a good 8/10 movie. Around the level of ANH, weaker than ESB better than ROTJ and the prequels.

The main things that brought it down from a 9 or a 9.5 for me was that, for one, it borrowed a little too much from ANH / OT, particularly the last battle over Starkiller Base. That pretty much was Death Star I and Death Star II / Endor mashed together. The X-Wing parts of that battle dragged it down a bit - I didn't think they were executed all that well. I knew, more or less, that TFA was going to retread ANH a bit from watching the trailers, and I was okay with that, and I felt the other beats they hit worked.

And two, I wasn't a fan of Snoke and Hux. I guess Snoke is being set up for the sequels, but I didn't care for him honestly. And Hux is just discount Tarkin - his speech was okay, but I didn't care for him otherwise.

Also, I though Daisy Ridley's acting was a bit stiff when she's just having to bounce off BB-8 on Jakku, but she got better after that.

I really liked the rest of the movie. Rey, Finn, Ren and Poe are all great. They all got great chemistry with each other and their comic timing is down. Han Solo is great. Leia is great. Kylo Ren is prequel Anakin done right. Rey and Finn are great together
and I'm 90% sure they fucking in real life.

J.J. Abrams pretty much nailed that OT Star Wars feel down. There's some beautiful shots in film.

I'll probably watch it again in the theater once or twice more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYvn5Hqf7pY

Jarmel

Banned
Since some of you have seen the movie a bunch of times, does anyone remember exactly which point of the movie the exchange between Ren and Snoke happens where he says "There has been an awakening, have you felt it?". Since it clearly wasn't at the end of the movie, what does the "awakening" even refer to? It's not Rey is it?

It's Rey although I can see it expanded into Finn.

In addition to Ren being weakened from his injuries and still mentally tormented after killing his father, I think the fact that Rey had discovered her abilities with the Force is another factor as to why he couldn't just paralyze her again.
Not explained so no need to assume.

You can watch every single lightsaber fight from Episode 1 to 7 and in each one you could have ended the fight thousands of times if they used force powers.
Then replace it with something more substantial than subpar sword play in a forest. All this fight showed is how Ren is a complete jobber when the story demands it.

Rey should have used force powers after meditating instead of a shonen power up

They do use it to jump really high, some in the past even to levitate. But apparently in terms of canon, the reason actual flying is not more prevalent is because it takes an absurd amount of force concentration, far more than simply lifting even the heaviest of objects.

Couldn't they just lift an object they're standing on?

Fj0823

No film will likely mention it again, and the expanded canon can continue to use it but no future director or writer will touch midis with a ten foot pole.

That's not retconning. Bobba Fett will probably never be mentioned again in the new episodes, does that means he got retconned too?

I'm all for disliking a certain aspect of a story, but this kneejerking of "LALALALALALA IT NEVER HAPPENED" rubs me the wrong way, stories have bad parts, it's not the end of the world.

Vice

I know they mentioned that if Luke comes back then the new jedi will come. It probably is Rey or maybe they just mean a lot of people. I'm not sure on how to pluralize jedi.

that made me question, what fucking good is the storm trooper armor? if one shot could just fuckin kill you?

and seeing as how this takes ~30 sum years after the last star wars installment, the armor may not look different but isn't any more durable?
the laser blast is one thing but I feel like seasoned fighters should be able to fight several opponents after another.

Your acting like chewie's blaster was always this powerful.

Its a serious upgrade from the OT

And what true fighting experience does kylo really have since he is basically using a cheat code in all his battles, which seem to be over by the time he arrives. And his temper tantrums abd lack of will show us he isnt using the force at a level anywhere close to luke or that of a normal jedi or sith.

Hes a skywalker so he has the potential but rey is a survivor and possibly a skywalker as well. Evenly matched (although with varying attributes) over all, especially with ren being injured

Similar to a cutter, inflicting self pain helps with feeling like you are in control. Especially after taking a hit like that.

I'm confused as to how that helps? Looked like he was a gorilla pounding his chest to seem strong or he was channeling his inner Alright Alright Alright *hums*

Your acting like chewie's blaster was always this powerful.

Its a serious upgrade from the OT

And what true fighting experience does kylo really have since he is basically using a cheat code in all his battles, which seem to be over by the time he arrives. And his temper tantrums abd lack of will show us he isnt using the force at a level anywhere close to luke or that of a normal jedi or sith
He helped kill the Jedis in training (and the corpses indicate there was a bunch). This is supposedly long ago as well. He's not some punk guy who can't fight, he can't fight when the story demands it.

Chitown B

just remembered an issue I have with the trailer #1. It says "I have it, my sister has it, you have that power too" - uh, no one says this in the movie. Or any other movie. wtf?

munchie64

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up.
IeVmSJX.gif

Vodh

Calling Ray a Mary Sue is fucking sexist is what it is. Oh no, a strong female character who's obviously got the force and spent a better part of her life fending for herself manages to perform some mildly impressive feats under pressure, call the drama police!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Why would a girl who lived her life fending for herself in a hostile environment as a scavenger on a desert planet know how to do anything? What a mary sue am i right guys.

Dalek

"Why didn't they just use force powers?" Is the Jedi equivalent of ""Why didn't they just shoot out the tires?"

Why would a girl who lived her life fending for herself in a hostile environment as a scavenger on a desert planet know how to do anything? What a mary sue am i right guys.

How would a broad even know how to fight?

Matticers

Why didn't Kylo Force Pull the saber from Finn?

We're just gonna have to accept that some stuff is poorly written and roll with it.

I think my main question with that whole fight is why didn't Kylo just force choke him? He could have just laughed when Finn turned on the lightsaber and choked him to death. Game over. But nope. Doesn't make any sense to me, especially when Kylo seems to be much stronger with force abilities than he is with actual combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom