• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

What about that Finn and Poe hug?

uJnuzt6.gif
This is a more authentically romantic moment than anything in the entire PT.

Watched.

Fun. Definitely the best paced Star Wars movie. Cliff hanger was a bit too cliffhanger-y. Star Wars always left things open but this was next level sequel set up.

Stunning looking film. Very colourful.

Han Solos death seemed super obvious once I heard Ford was the backbone of the film. Dude always seemed like the kind of guy who would only agree to the movie if they killed him off for good this time.

Glad that C3P0 and R2D2 where not big players. Got tired of them always being there in the prequels.

Finn was cool and I like the idea that the new storm troopers are actual people who are just brainwashed people who where kidnapped as kids. Much better then they are still clones or something.

And yeah... Rey is OP. She is literally Luke + Han Solos OG trilogy characters rolled into one. Flawless to a fault.

Solos death has been obvious for 30 years. Ford wanted Lucas to kill Solo off in Jedi. Ford doesnt get all that Star Wars fandom and he wanted out. I knew JJ would give Ford this if he agreed to do the film. It was probably part of his contract.

To piggy back, Poe is probably the first Resistance dude he's ever met. Not knowing what the indoctrination teaches we can assume that a Resistance dude willing to help and not stab him in the back is a big surprise.

"For duration of your training, no sex will you have!"

"Yoda, we're the only ones on this planet..."

"Heard me, you did!"

Well in a way yoda did. When Luke left dagobah to help han and leia in empire he did say something about letting go of the ones you love because something something darkside.

Ugh. Why couldn't Kylo have killed his mom instead.

Because she's a force user and would have Sheev'd him off that bridge. Also, that would send Luke, a highly experienced Jedi master, after his sorry ass. "oh hey, I found him." ".."

That would make for a very short trilogy.

Either that or can't cut through botox. Not sure which.

I get an Akira vibe from that.

because it is. Just changed a few details. Didn't even bother removing the cracked road to Kaneda's left either.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Hey guys,

Just listened to the Polygon Minimap/Worldmap podcast trilogy talking about the movie. At one point, one of the hosts mentions the adorable idea that at one point, Chewbacca probably held/cuddled/babysat a young Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, and what an adorable image that was.

Which makes me realize: Chewie then tried to kill the child he had likely helped raise a little bit, when he unloaded on Kylo. Adds an extra dabble of tragedy onto that scene.

hqdefault.jpg

Cool, I'll check out that podcast. Any other worthwhile podcasts discussing the movie? I checked out Full of Sith and ForceCast, which are pretty good

So do storm troopers have feelings and what not? My friend thinks Finn should not have a sense of humor, and should be more emotionless.

Anyone have a problem with Finn be humorous?

injurai

Banned
So do storm troopers have feelings and what not? My friend thinks Finn should not have a sense of humor, and should be more emotionless.

Anyone have a problem with Finn be humorous?

We only really see stormtroopers on active duty, given their training I would expect them to be pretty collected during service. That doesn't mean they don't have a sense of humor.

Cetra

Just saw it Saturday and took some time to think on it. The more I do the more I like it. I loved really enjoyed all the new protagonists. In fact in many respects I wish there was more of them and less of the old guard. Harrison was great. I think it's a great remix of A New Hope, and Empire Strikes Back.

Can't wait to see more of Kylo Ren and Rey in Episode VIII. And I really hope that Captain Phasma didn't bite the big one on Starkiller Base. I'd love to see more of her as well.

My favorite moment in the film is when Rey force pulls Luke's lightsaber, catches it, and ignites all while The Force Theme rises to it's peak in the background. So fucking good.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
So, can neogaf make 1000 pages of a spoiler thread?
We'll know pretty soon.

Guy.brush

Hey guys,

Just listened to the Polygon Minimap/Worldmap podcast trilogy talking about the movie. At one point, one of the hosts mentions the adorable idea that at one point, Chewbacca probably held/cuddled/babysat a young Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, and what an adorable image that was.

Which makes me realize: Chewie then tried to kill the child he had likely helped raise a little bit, when he unloaded on Kylo. Adds an extra dabble of tragedy onto that scene.

hqdefault.jpg

And then when they return to the resistance base, Chewie just walks past Leia as if nothing happened and she doesn't even look at him while he joins some background crowd and she hugs the new girl. That moment man, why?!

So forgive me if this has been discussed in the last 300 pages already, but is there any explanation for why and how Poe just left Jakku empty handed? He was dead set on returning to get BB-8 back, and since Finn never saw him after the crash, he didn't have any plausible way of knowing that BB-8 was safe. Plus, the First Order was planetside looking for him, and he had no ship, so how did he even get out?

And I really hope that Captain Phasma didn't bite the big one on Starkiller Base. I'd love to see more of her as well.

I really, really doubt Phasma is dead. That would totally be a waste of the casting and, well, everything about the character.

BFIB

Thanks yea my mistake. Anyways you guys should watch the Charlie Rose interview and interpret what he says for yourselves its great.
http://www.charlierose.com/

I finally got around to watching this. Very intriguing interview. My thoughts:

-Lucas clearly loves his films, but I think the point he made that he feels he needs to "reinvent" every movie he makes speaks volumes about the drastic difference between the OT and the PT.
-Since he's such a private person, you could see when he said it hurt to give up his "kids". I could not imagine what it must have felt like to come to the decision to walk away from what had become your life's work, whether he agreed to that, or not.
-His constant pandering of "I'm a good storyteller" just doesn't hold weight. He said that one of his films were not well received, but most people, including critics, bashed the story in the Prequels. He said they were "successful", so I'm assuming he meant from a monetary standpoint, then contradicts himself a few minutes later by stating he "is not out to make corporations money" or something to that effect.
-Its clear he just became a victim of his own success. He has to have a lot of love/hate when it comes to Star Wars, especially when he gets into the process of working with Abrams and Disney, and knowing to back away. I have a feeling it wasn't as mutual as he makes it out to be.

Guy.brush

So forgive me if this has been discussed in the last 300 pages already, but is there any explanation for why and how Poe just left Jakku empty handed? He was dead set on returning to get BB-8 back, and since Finn never saw him after the crash, he didn't have any plausible way of knowing that BB-8 was safe. Plus, the First Order was planetside looking for him, and he had no ship, so how did he even get out?

Even some random pirates knew like 2 minutes after Finn and Rey had escaped that the First Order was looking for them and BB-8 so Poe probably also knew (SOMEHOW). Hell even Snoke discussed it with his underlings like 2 minutes after the escape. DAT compressed time.

I'm hoping this is fleshed out in a flashback pov or some sort of comic/book. I'd like to know more also.

FO sent out a bounty that bb8 left the planet on a freighter. Poe found a ship and or contacted the resistance.

injurai

Banned
I honestly wonder if Abrams and Kasdan even did.

Having seen most of the making of videos of the past star wars, and a lot of other movies. I'm certain it was brought up by various people. Just because it was focused group out of the movie doesn't mean it wasn't considered.

UCBooties

I just chalk that up to Finn not really understanding how emotions work and Poe just being a real cool dude and being nice.

Poe is totally going to bite it before this trilogy is over isnt he?

Poe was originally supposed to die in TFA during the crash on Jakku but then Abrams decided to expand his role. Now? Who knows?

effzee

Couple of things: I realize this might all been covered in this giant thread but I Just watched the movie!

1. Any theory or possibility that Luke is on Earth at the end? They referenced often how he went to some uncharted world. How or why that would make sense I don't know bit I immediately thought Earth when I saw it.

2. I found the movie fun but the plot, the more I think of it, to be incredibly repetitive. To the point that it's dumb. That plus complete lack of back story for their current time period they are in and how they ended right where they were just 20-30 years ago was frustrating. It's literally the sAmerican scenario just 30 years later.

And no having to read to some accompanying novels and wiki shouldn't be necessary to understand.

3. A far more interesting plot would have been the Republic being fed up with the Anakin bloodline always getting seduced by the dark side and imprisoning them or banning them to some other world. Then Rey and ragtag resistance would make sense in why they are tracking down Luke. In fact the while movie could have been about tracking him down while properly introducingthe First Order, the problem with the New Republic, and building towards some of the destruction we see with no real understanding or attachment.

4. Why is Ren/First Order after Luke when he himself ran away and they have the capability to destroy entire planets?

5. Why does the First Order have Storm Troopers? Shouldn't they be outlawed considering everything that took place?

Couple of things: I realize this might all been covered in this giant thread but I Just watched the movie!

1. Any theory or possibility that Luke is on Earth at the end? They referenced often how he went to some uncharted world. How or why that would make sense I don't know bit I immediately thought Earth when I saw it.

2. I found the movie fun but the plot, the more I think of it, to be incredibly repetitive. To the point that it's dumb. That plus complete lack of back story for their current time period they are in and how they ended right where they were just 20-30 years ago was frustrating. It's literally the sAmerican scenario just 30 years later.

And no having to read to some accompanying novels and wiki shouldn't be necessary to understand.

3. A far more interesting plot would have been the Republic being fed up with the Anakin bloodline always getting seduced by the dark side and imprisoning them or banning them to some other world. Then Rey and ragtag resistance would make sense in why they are tracking down Luke. In fact the while movie could have been about tracking him down while properly introducingthe First Order, the problem with the New Republic, and building towards some of the destruction we see with no real understanding or attachment.

4. Why is Ren/First Order after Luke when he himself ran away and they have the capability to destroy entire planets?

5. Why does the First Order have Storm Troopers? Shouldn't they be outlawed considering everything that took place?
1. "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
4. They want him and his power/knowledge gone.
5. FO rose from the fallen empire. They don't follow republic law.

4. I have a feeling it's more of a grudge thing on Kylo/Snoke part. Destroying his old Master. The Frist order want to return to status quo from the old empire days, a super weapon could accomplish that.

5. Well they don't exactly follow the laws of the Galaxy.

I finally got around to watching this. Very intriguing interview. My thoughts:

-Lucas clearly loves his films, but I think the point he made that he feels he needs to "reinvent" every movie he makes speaks volumes about the drastic difference between the OT and the PT.
-Since he's such a private person, you could see when he said it hurt to give up his "kids". I could not imagine what it must have felt like to come to the decision to walk away from what had become your life's work, whether he agreed to that, or not.
-His constant pandering of "I'm a good storyteller" just doesn't hold weight. He said that one of his films were not well received, but most people, including critics, bashed the story in the Prequels. He said they were "successful", so I'm assuming he meant from a monetary standpoint, then contradicts himself a few minutes later by stating he "is not out to make corporations money" or something to that effect.
-Its clear he just became a victim of his own success. He has to have a lot of love/hate when it comes to Star Wars, especially when he gets into the process of working with Abrams and Disney, and knowing to back away. I have a feeling it wasn't as mutual as he makes it out to be.

Yea I think its interesting that many fans obviously criticize the prequels but now to finally see the other side that takes the criticism is interesting. I'm sure that George doesn't think in his own opinion there was anything wrong with those movies since they were what he as the creator thought it should be.
I also think his point of having to reinvent movies every iteration speaks miles to this movie. He says that hollywood doesn't take chances on movies (even for past series) that try to take a new direction and this movie is extremely tapping into nostalgia with the OT more than anything.

Malyse

How did Star Wars: the Force Awakens evolve during the development process? What were some of the early ideas they were playing with that didn’t end up in the final film? The new book The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens gives us a peek inside the development of Episode 7, from the earliest concepts to post production.

Did you know that Starkiller Base was originally called The Doom Star? That Poe Dameron’s character began as a Jedi or Bounty Hunter? Or how about that they toyed with the idea that Anakin Skywalker would appear in the film as a Force Ghost? Learn about how The Force Awakens changed from the earliest story ideas to the movie you’ve now experienced.

Before we begin, I should note that the process of imagining concepts for the film began before a director was even signed on to the project. At first artists would work with the film’s initial screenwriter Michael Arndt to “create guided imagery,” compelling visual concepts that invoke symbolism. Some of what is below might just be some ideas that were thrown at the wall during those early days, while other stuff you can see a glimpse of what evolved into the final film.

We should learn more about the development process of the movie when the Making of book is released in spring 2016 (lets hope it serves the Rinzler books proud). But for now the Art of The Force Awakens book gives us our more extensive look behind the development and evolution of this project. When available online, I’ve included some of the concept art and preview pages from the Art Of book.

ZZ0201C1BA-700x440.jpg

Rey Was a Hothead Loner Named Kira

Rey’s original name was Kira and while its not specifically stated, her early concept designs looked like they were modeled after Kristen Stewart. Screenwriter Michael Arndt described Kira as a “loner, hothead, gear-head, badass,” and the early story focused on Kira’s journey of self-discovery, from fearful Force-sensitive to master.

tumblr_inline_nztosvu8SD1sypkn8_1280.jpg

A Double-Bladed Two-Colored Lightsaber

One of the more interesting visual concepts presented in the idea phase was a piece by co-production designer Rick Carter that showed a double-sided lightsaber, with one side having a blue blade and the other side with a red blade. They were playing with the motif of fire and ice, and while it looked cool, the concept didn’t fit with the story that was developed.

ZZ0712634A.jpg

Rey Wanted Desperately to Leave Jakku

Rey is extremely reluctant to leave Jakku in the movie, but in the earlier versions of the story Kira was eager to leave the junk planet. Concept art shows Kira longingly watching spaceships departing from the planet.

In the early versions of the story, Rey worked in a used car lot of sorts for an elderly father figure, an old Republic pilot. The Millennium Falcon was among the ships on the lot. Watching ships come and go every day, she would daydream about leaving the junk planet and exploring the galaxy.

This idea almost made the final film visually. In the trailer you see a shot of Rey cleaning materials she salvaged from the Star Destroyer. In the original cut of the film, she looks at a mother and her daughter, both dressed in fancy clothes, stepping onto a ship at the port. Rey had a look of happiness, not envy. This is definitely an aspect of Rey that has evolved, but you feel shades of it in the final film — with Rey collecting artifacts of Rebel pilots. Her backstory for the film involved her spending her free time learning how to fly on flight simulators.

9781419717802.IN08.jpg

Finn Was Originally a Han Solo Type

The character that became Finn was originally named Sam. Screenwriter Michael Arndt described Sam as “pure charisma” and the early concept art showed him as a young white man. You might describe his look as a smuggler type, a cross between a younger Han Solo and Anakin Skywalker from the prequels.

They quickly came to the idea of Sam being a former Stormtrooper who witnesses either a firing squad or an airlock ejection of a captured Rebel crew member. Its that event which was the turning point where he decides to run and helps Poe escape. But before Poe was a resistance pilot, he was something else…

ZZ3BD38146.jpg

Poe Dameron Was Almost a Jedi or Bounty Hunter

Poe Dameron began his life as “John Doe,” which is a tentative name and fitting considering the character’s original fate. Oscar Isaac has revealed that Dameron was originally supposed to die in the crash landing on Jakku, but J.J. Abrams eventually decided to write the character into the second half of the movie.

The concept art depicted him as a black man in his 30s or 40s — imagine a younger Samuel L. Jackson as a Rebel officer. At one point he was almost a Jedi, and then a bounty hunter, before they settled on him being “a Republic military man.” They even toyed with the idea of giving him a Wookiee sidekick when he was a bounty hunter.

There are three more pages after the quoted portion.

http://www.slashfilm.com/force-awakens-changes/

*YOU HEARTLESS JOYLESS MONSTER

Pandy

None of these things would have fixed what was disappointing about the movie. The new characters were the best part of it as they were.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I know it's not an original thought at all, but I really do hope we someday get to see where George Lucas had imagined taking the story for Eps VII. I assume it's incredibly different.

I, personally, loved TFA. I thought the
NEW DEATHSTAR
plot point was silly and rushed; and I wish we would have seen
Luke
do something badass instead of act as a Marvel-esque post-credit tease. Overall, had those two things been changed, it would have been right up there with RoJ as my favorite SW film. Otherwise, it's safely sitting in the top half.

But man, I would love to see how different it could have been. I'm really hoping the Anthology films show us a side of SW we've never seen on film. Something more KOTOR or Republic Commando like.

Guy.brush

Would like to know if Jakku ever was Tatooine. They reused so much of the old Tatooine concept art.
Also it feels as if Luke's saber and the map to Luke were at one point one and the same thing.
At one point the saber was supposed to open the movie as it falls from space towards the planet below where Rey finds it.

Loxley

I wasn't disappointed in TFA but it's always interesting see a film's evolution into the final product. I do like the idea of a dual-bladed lightsaber with two different colors, I hope they explore that idea in the future. I'm glad they didn't end up giving Finn the Han Soloarchetype - mostly because we already have a Han Solo. His character is much more interesting to me the way he's depicted in the final film.

Whatever direction they go with this new trilogy please, PLEASE PLEASE enough callbacks to the old movie. The fact that we somehow got another "Deathstar" was enough. I made a thread about if Rey would get an injury, and many people joked she'd get her hand chopped off in the vein of Anakin and Luke. I seriously hope not. It would be like how every Ghost in the Shell iteration needs a scene with the Major jumping out of a building as her active camo goes on....it's not necessary

nothing was disappointing about star wars 7

nothing

Oh. Okay

Yea I think its interesting that many fans obviously criticize the prequels but now to finally see the other side that takes the criticism is interesting. I'm sure that George doesn't think in his own opinion there was anything wrong with those movies since they were what he as the creator thought it should be.
I also think his point of having to reinvent movies every iteration speaks miles to this movie. He says that hollywood doesn't take chances on movies (even for past series) that try to take a new direction and this movie is extremely tapping into nostalgia with the OT more than anything.

Honestly, most of that is bargaining and revisionism with himself to protect his ego.

Most of the production of The Phantom Menace was, itself, actually filmed. You can watch Lucas and company as they run the first screening. You can see practically the exact moment that he realizes that what he's created is terrible, and almost in real time see him pivot from horror, to panic trying to figure out how it can be fixed, to trying to justify why it has to be that way in obvious denial.

I think that moment broke him, in a sense. To guard his ego he switched his approach to cinema completely from trying to make good movies (knowing he had failed to do so) to making profitable movies (knowing he could not fail to do so).

I'm honestly not sure it even worked. The way he doubles back on his own justifications constantly in that interview makes me think he's just going through the motions, and whatever bubble he created to hide his ego in burst a long time ago.

liquidtmd

Banned
None of these things would have fixed what was disappointing about the movie. The new characters were the best part of it as they were.

It needed more back story on why the status quo had pretty much resumed in terms of resistance vs first order / empire

The alliance victory in Jedi now seems pretty damn unsatisfying. I don't care about reading about it in side books or what have you. I 'get' end of the Death Star shouldn't assumedly have resulted in Empire being over but Jesus, it looked like it meant nothing in context of Death Star 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom