• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

TheXbox

So its the 19th of February, and no digital or blu ray release announced. Im hearing bad things like delayed to June, with a re release for April.

Im even hearing possible July release.

Does anyone know anything?
Where are you hearing this? That would be a major bummer.

So i saw it today,late as usual, and it was good.A bit too much like Episode IV.I think the lightsaber duel(s) were much better than anything all the movies simply because there was not much "dancing" around just trying to hit the other saber.

But for someone who doesnt know much about star wars other than the movies, i was realy surprised about some things since i didnt know anything about it.

Han Solo's son is a bad guy plus he actually kills him in the end?WTF no way i expected something like this.

Also could Rey be the daughter of someone we know?

One thing i didn't like was why the hell would Luke just dissappear after Kylo Ren went to the dark side?I mean there is no reason

EDIT Something i forgot.Whos was the bearded man from the beginning?
The old dude is Lor San Tekka, he's a worshiper of the Force (not a user) and an old friend of Luke's. We don't know why Luke went into hiding, but his nephew massacring all his students probably has something to do with it. Rey is probably Luke's kid.

usp84

Where are you hearing this? That would be a major bummer.

The old dude is Lor San Tekka, he's a worshiper of the Force (not a user) and an old friend of Luke's. We don't know why Luke went into hiding, but his nephew massacring all his students probably has something to do with it. Rey is probably Luke's kid.

I must have missed that.Was it in one of the visions that Rey saw?

Anyway we will see more in the next two films i guess! I look forward to them!

Apparently FYE employees are now earring name tags advertising April 5th as the release date.

FYEBadgeTFABD.jpg

Toothless

This had the first ever fifth watch in theaters from me. Definitely worthy of that honor. Divorced from the hype, it manages to be even better. This is my fifth time watching it, and it still fascinates me despite some obvious flaws. The prowess of the visual storytelling, acting, and original score might be some of the most underrated of 2015. It's a fantastic blockbuster, and an outstanding entry into the Star Wars franchise. My favorite small moment of the movie is near the beginning when Rey looks at the old woman cleaning some parts. You can see Rey's face the slight fear that will be her in a wonderfully silent way.

Surfinn

This had the first ever fifth watch in theaters from me. Definitely worthy of that honor. Divorced from the hype, it manages to be even better. This is my fifth time watching it, and it still fascinates me despite some obvious flaws. The prowess of the visual storytelling, acting, and original score might be some of the most underrated of 2015. It's a fantastic blockbuster, and an outstanding entry into the Star Wars franchise. My favorite small moment of the movie is near the beginning when Rey looks at the old woman cleaning some parts. You can see Rey's face the slight fear that will be her in a wonderfully silent way.

Great post. I've seen it what will have been 8 times in a few days and I still hadn't made that connection.

Anth0ny

Yup, watched it for the fourth time last Thursday, still amazing and still having new feelings every time I watch.

For example, on the fourth viewing, Sidon Ithano & First Mate Quiggold really caught my eye for some reason. They're fucking cool. And now I'm looking to pick up their action figures. Because fuck it, I'm obsessed with Star Wars again.

Amazing that I have more of a connection to these two random, cool looking aliens than ANYONE in the prequels. I'm getting IG-88 vibes over here.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Why is that good?

There are no DVD Limiteds anymore and at some point there could be no Blu-Ray Limiteds anymore.
UHD will be dead in a couple of months anyway just like 3D, but its good to have the confirmation that this wont affect Marvel and Star Wars movies for now.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I have no idea what youre trying to say. You don't want a uhd version because limited editions are rare and that UHD will fail anyways?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
so... pretty much the definition of a niche market? As in, not something for the masses?

When something is discontinued, its dead. 3D is as good as dead.
Cant remember the last time I saw a new 3D only Blu-Ray Disc releasing. They only come in Bundles today, most the time in expensive Limited Editions.

Paganmoon

When something is discontinued, its dead.

When it's discontinued at one manufacturer, reduced at another, it becomes niche. There will still be 3D TV's out there, and 3D blu-rays will be produced.

Anyway, totally unrelated to the first thing I posted, no UHD release this year. How that's good, you've still failed to really explain coherently.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Yeah im still lost. Why is a UHD copy of star wars bad?

And Samsung and Sony have a lot invested in VR in 2016 and beyond, i would say 3D isnt going away just yet.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Because they would most likely put them in the Bundle Limited Edition with the Steelbook, Blu-Ray Disc and 3D Blu-Ray and I dont want to spend another 10€ to have a dead on arrival format included.

Hey, when they release them only seperatly, I am fine with it, but why should there be a difference to what they did with the other almost dead format?

And yes, I know UHD isnt even out, but is here anyone who honestly things that the industry will establish another physical format after they failed with 3D-Bluray? Its just another gimmick nobody wants. Because the masses are at Netflix and dont care about the image quality.
And I am saying this as someone, who loves the resolution from a Blu-Ray Disc and is going to buy a 4K TV in the next couple of days. But 4K media has no future.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
So you dont want it because you dont want to pay extra? even though you would benefit from it with your new setup.

Who said it had to be bundled?

Sounds kinda selfish buddy.

Paganmoon

Hmm, you're getting a 4k TV but don't want 4k content? what's the use of a 4k TV then? Edit: if the idea is only 4k streaming, then I'm pretty sure a 1080p blu-ray will still give you equivalent picture if not better due to the much higher bitrate on the disc.

Also, you don't have to get the bundles. I have yet to see a movie in a 3D bundle that does not have a stand alone Blu-Ray only variant purchasable.

Ive been told that March 3rd will see an official announcement from Disney, and all retailers.

It seems they are indeed sticking to a March 15 digital, and an April 5 Blu ray.

Cover art?

I don't love it but there will probably be many alternates and exclusive covers.

A list of potential extras was also leaked and pulled, and it’s the exact same list that first leaked last week from a European retailer. Essentially, it’s 7 behind-the-scenes featurettes (Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey, The Story Awakens: The Table Read, Building BB-8, Crafting Creatures, Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight, The Visual Magic of the Force, and John Williams: The Seventh Symphony), deleted scenes (reports are 7 or 8 in all), and a Force for Change promo. Tip of the hat to Den of Geek and Stitch Kingdom for catching the art before it disappeared.

Edag88

Banned
I don't follow movies much besides Star Wars. Is that digital listed for March 13th with the disc coming in April normal? Do digital versions usually come out first?

mjc

Huh. Interesting. It's amazing how much I'm learning about modern movie distro just from being into Star Wars movies again.

It's a side effect of Hollywood trying to push services like UltraViolet and VUDU...it hasn't really been working too well for them so far.

I want it

That's the same style as the steelbooks that came out recently, which is the set I have.

It's not 100% identical, but close enough. Which now is bugging me because why couldn't they do it right lol

They're all villain-centric aside from Episode II's steelbook, which makes you wonder why it wasn't Dooku or Jango Fett.

Watched TFA for the second time today (my sisters first time watching and she loved it) and I actually cried when Han died. Not single tear rolling down the cheek like the midnight showing but tears just flowing out. I guess it really sank in.

Also Snoke and Maz look better than I remember. I remember the CGI not being so great but it seemed good this time. Maybe it's because I watched it in 2D today.

Top Bottom