• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws Gameplay Revealed | Ubisoft Foward 2023

Salz01

I see the ps5 prompts, but doubt they will get this running 60fps on console. Kind of want that PS5 pro rumor to be true.

Fredrik

I loved this! Star Wars -> Mass Effect -> Star Wars Outlaws. That’s my takeaway here. Phenomenal! Game of the not-E3 besides Starfield for me, loved the visuals, the general Star Wars vibe, if it’s open enough this will be fantastic, and I’m thinking it should be open since it’s Ubi. Other devs need to step it up!

ProtoByte

Holy balls. Why couldn't Starfield do this:

Game looks absolutely amazing. The fluidity of the animation and the graphics, just slap. This is what they should have shown during the Showcase, not a CGI trailer.

Really? The animations look extremely stiff. Probably the worst thing about this demo.

CGNoire

Looks awesome. This and the Avatar game looked awesome.

I hope we don't get the usual Ubisoft downgrade.

I'll be getting on PC so I don't have to deal with downgrades.
What? Vertical Slice features never end up on the PC version thats a BS myth spread around gaming forums.

CGNoire

It's a version of the Ratchet & Clank rift-tripping technique. Activate the transition via context action, move the character through a locked viewpoint with minimal detail (a rift void, a cloud bank, a starfield at lightspeed,) drop the old level dataset and load the new dataset, then pull the character into the new scene and release the viewpoint. Looks cool, keeps you in motion, but it's a hidden loading screen if we need to be picky about it.

Possibly there will be some air-to-air combat above a planet surface, but you wouldn't be able to walk wherever you want, fly wherever you want, and jump to lightspeed wherever you want. It's not that type of game anyway, and the idea of "open-galaxy gameplay" is more trouble than it's worth. Sounds cool, it's what gamers dream of when they think of how much bigger games can get, but it's just extra space if the game is actually trying to be a game. Unless you have a procedural system which can actually detail out whole planets and provide interesting gameplay wherever you go, you're better off directing players to what's fun in the game. (Even Starfield isn't bothering with planetary scale beyond the surface and the landmarks, and that game is going to be huge. Star Citizen and No Mans Sky are examples of attempts to have the universe built out in all dimensions, and those are worth studying for what they can and cannot accomplish, but neither would make it as a fun Star Wars game.)
I still think manual flying while entering and exiting the atomosphere is up there on the list as a major fantasy of most old school sci fi nerds. Lack of it is a bummer in both this and Starfield.

CGNoire

I don't think this is the same sort of situation honestly. We're in a new generation and we all know sometime these games are going to have to start showing better graphics than the previous generation.
I think we will see even crazier shit from other studios like ND or Guerrila Games (with their next big games not the online ones). But we'll see.
With all due respect....trusting UbIsoft is straight foolish.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Is it just me or this is the best game they've made since.... Splinter Cell: Blacklist? I mean, the game is rough around the edges but they've time to polish it until release next year.

CGNoire

That's because in Starfield every single object in the game world can be picked up and manipulated. You can pick up a sandwich, throw it on the ground in Planet A, Travel to Planet B, return to Planet A 40 hours later, and the sandwich will remain in the same place you left it. In most other open-world games, including this one, the buildings and props are just art and objects will reset/disappear the moment you leave the area.
I agree...although witb 1000 planets to save items for they may have changed the way they deal with items now. Wouldnt be suprised if its not as permenant as long as it was in previous Bethesda RPGs.

CGNoire

Didn't care for it. Seems like the most by-the-numbers Uncharted ripoff moviegame you can make. Visually it was nice though.
While I did think it looks really cool and am very interested this was definitely in the back of my head the whole time.

CGNoire

It's definitely not CG because during the bar cutscene you can actually see shadows flickering on the alien necklace. I guess they're taking the Order 1886 approach, black bars more pixels and 30 FPS for cutscenes.
I would bet the cutscenes are probabpy 24fps and the game is most likely 30fps only.

CGNoire

I'm baffled, the animation is nowhere near next generation, the main protagonist looks like a plastic doll.
Its not the characters its the scale of the enviroments from large details to small details and lighting settings. Imo the usual Ubisoft vertical slice BS.

CGNoire

Game looks pretty good, but FFS does everything Star Wars have to be OG trilogy related? To be completely honest, when I saw that it happened between Empire and Jedi, my interest went down. I'm just tired of the constant "REMEMBER THIS FROM THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY!?!" it's pretty tired.

Having said that, I'm still interested in seeing how this game turns out. Lots of potential.
I feel the exact opposite. I wouldnt mind a prequel trilogy game but still vastly prefer the aesthetic of the og tril.

CGNoire

Season 7 Bobby GIF by Parks and Recreation
So? You literally made claims from zero evidence. Wishfull thinking?
Yt 60fps option means jack shit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So? You literally made claims from zero evidence. Wishfull thinking?
Yt 60fps option means jack shit.
The game was being played at 60fps, you can see the framerate drop to 30fps in the cut scenes for the contrast.

More than likely on the PC as well as evidence shown in the threat.

CGNoire

The game was being played at 60fps, you can see the framerate drop to 30fps in the cut scenes for the contrast.

More than likely on the PC as well as evidence shown in the threat.
I disagree. The cutscenes if choppier probably dipped below 30fps. Yt 60fps videos are nonsense. I heard this all before where people claim the difference between 30fps and 60fps YT videos are night and day. Meh.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I disagree. The cutscenes if choppier probably dipped below 30fps. Yt 60fps videos are nonsense. I heard this all before where people claim the difference between 30fps and 60fps YT videos are night and day. Meh.
Ok.

They showed it with an AMD collab and it was 86FPS with RT on the screen on a 7800. Someone posted the pic in here.

But carry on.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Dude. Use the Multi-Quote feature.
Im not a fan of it. Shits tedious. Then I have to go back and reread peoples posts all up and down the page to make sure im responding correctly within the context of the whole post. Theres also issue causr Im stuck typing on my phone most times and my fat fingers keep hitting back alot of times makeing longs posts that much more aof a risk being deleted accidentaly. I know you probably dont agree but its been a headache for me.

Fredrik

So is it seemless ground-to-space transitions?
As in, complete control to fly in and out of atmosphere?

Or was that just a fixed camera to make it look like you have complete control?
They said it was seamless, but I guess it could be a clouded loading sequence. I’m more interested in the space-to-ground mechanic and if you’ll be able to enter from space and fly over the planet and land wherever you want.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Amd collab?

So I dont have to read every post do you remember what page it maybe on so I can check it out?
Post #227

The engine is in partnership with AMD, 7900XTX and 82FPS w/ RT and FRS.

Was a different presentation, thought they meant this one. This was clearly running at 60fps in gameplay and 30fps cutscene. Which one would think console, but probably PC for the demonstration.

If any of it is real, that is.

Paperboy

My feelings also.

Ubisoft for the last 10 years has been a complete let down.

I just hope they have changed their ways but still not pre-ordering or buying day 1, will wait for reviews and gameplay vids.

Assassin's Creed Origins? Far Cry 5? Ghost Recon Wildlands? Watch Dogs 2? Among others...

A compete let down? Maybe video games aren't for you.

Ywap

Massive with their Snow Drop engine is leading the way. Judging by how great Division 2 run, play and look both Avatar and Star Wars will most likely crush it 🥳

Duchess

Oh, this is so weird. The Ubisoft video shown was using a PC / Xbox control scheme.

However, Sony's uploaded a video to their PlayStation YouTube channel, which is 99.99999% identical, except that it's using a PS5 control scheme.

Soooooooooooooooo, what platform was the video from??? :)

Last edited:

mxbison

Animations look a little stiff but other than that amazing visuals.

I'm not even much of a Star Wars fan but like the tone of this much more than Starfield which always looks kinda soulless to me.

T0minator

Really? The animations look extremely stiff. Probably the worst thing about this demo.
You're right the animations needsv work but Starfield has its own set of issues. Outlaws overall looks more "next gen" than Starfield in multiple ways, the environments, character detail, seamlessness in traversal, and combat are all more impressive already.

CamHostage

I still think manual flying while entering and exiting the atomosphere is up there on the list as a major fantasy of most old school sci fi nerds. Lack of it is a bummer in both this and Starfield.

Sure, being untethered in the galaxy sounds like a dream... it's not Star Wars though. Star Wars is about storytelling, about going places and finding people who want to join with you or kill you. When you fly around the galaxy, you set a course in the navacomputer for a destination where something will happen. And then when you land, you land in cool places, like Mos Eisley Space Station or the Yavin Base or in this case the Reputation outpost on Toshara; even when you crash-land in a swamp, you crash-land in Yoda's swamp.

Yes, Star Wars Outlaws will be "open-world", but it's still a designed world. People are making all the special places you will visit in the game. And it won't nearly be an actual "world", much less set of worlds; it'll be some defined cities with interconnected landscape connecting to the Imperial bases and construction zones and other combat spots where missions will take place, plus gas belts and ship fleet yards and other space sites where starship action takes place. They're not building whole planets and cosmoses for all of this to take place; they're building specific spots where cool Star Wars stuff will happen.

I mean, just think of how big a planet is. In six different Star Wars movies and a whole bunch of videogames and other titles that have visited Tattooine, we've seen a shitload of sand, yet the actual parts of the planet we've seen would barely take up much space of the deserts of Glendale, much less the state of Arizona, much less the country of the Unites States, much less the continent of North America, much less the planet of Earth...

The actual land that a videogame details out at is of course so much less than a planet would be, and we've seen the failure points of simulating "planetary-scale" in other games. The canceled Star Wars Battlefront 3 for example boasted ground-to-air-to-space battlefields to play on, and it did in fact pull that off in its engine... problem was, it couldn't actually provide a real planet worth of battle space to play on, so what you actually got was this kind of cone of territory from the ground combat site reaching all the way up to the space confines. The air parts were kind of stupid, because you could see that the "planet" was just a little bit of a map and then a lot of brown landfill, and you couldn't go anywhere to explore the brown landfill because A. there was nothing to explore and B. you had a battle to wage. It also would have slowed the gameplay considerably, because to get to space where important things beyond the ground warfare were happening, you would have had to fly in its version of realtime (it was of course a truncated airspace before you pierced the veil of space) through the atmosphere. SWBF3 did have some air structures or terrestrial Star Destroyers to add a bit of excitement to this portion of the game, but it was going to be one of those ideas which sounded better on paper than it worked in execution. A Star Wars wipe effect to move you from one cool battlefront to another would have been faster and more intense.

star-wars-bf3.jpg

...Now, if your game can pull from say 2 petabytes of data needed to render some reasonable version of planetary scale at a given distance, and if players can deal with 20+ real hours of time to circumnavigate the globe in for example Flight Sim, then sure, have an "open-world" game really be across a genuine digital world. Or if your game world has no rules and no point to it but what you make of it in for example No Man's Sky, then sure, generate away all the randomly-generated planetscape you want and just wander around for as long as you find it interesting. Those games are fun in what they do. But for games where you're supposed to be doing something purposeful and having excitement getting somewhere as you experience a story being told to you about the places you go and people/creatures you meet, the game world scale is going to need to come down a scoche.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Sure, being untethered in the galaxy sounds like a dream... it's not Star Wars though
It is for me though. The upper atmosphere approaches are up there when it comes to things I like the most from the films. Even with invisible walls preventing you from exploring the rest of the planet Id sfill prefer the option to take off and land myself. Just the approach to a new outpost would be wonderfull for me.

I have spent more than a decade thinking long and hard about everything you bring up in your very through post and have came to the same conclusions that you have about time sinks and fun vs realism and understand why some would choose automated landings and why they avoid true to life scale but even limited control when taking off landing would mean the world to me personally and I believe many others.

VulcanRaven

They said it was seamless, but I guess it could be a clouded loading sequence. I’m more interested in the space-to-ground mechanic and if you’ll be able to enter from space and fly over the planet and land wherever you want.
There is no way you can land everywhere.

Edit: typo.

Last edited:

Fredrik

There is not way you can land everywhere.
Ubi can do open world games like nobody else. But a realistic guess is that they’re letting you choose a landing spot from space, then you’ll see a foggy space-to-ground sequence through the clouds and a free flight above that landing spot and a click X to land mechanic.

Last edited:

Sybrix

Assassin's Creed Origins? Far Cry 5? Ghost Recon Wildlands? Watch Dogs 2? Among others...

A compete let down? Maybe video games aren't for you.

I started playing Ubisoft games in the early 2000s, i've played AC from the start, Far Cry and Ghost Recon.

The Ubisoft formula for their open world games got very boring by 2009/10, AC Origins is one of the most over bloated AC games ever, Far Cry 5 is a rinse repeated of the previous iterations & again bloated and boring, Wildlands again the same boring Ubisoft formula.

Watch Dogs 1 was mildly interesting at the time but then turned out to be one of gaming's biggest hoaxes when the final product was delivered. Watch Dogs 2 went down some weird style routes but again the classic bloated open world Ubisoft formula was present.

I guess gamers who didnt play early Ubisoft games arent so tired by their outdated forumula, however the fact that Ubisoft have stated that they are bringing AC back to its roots with Mirage is pretty evident that Ubisoft are well aware of how boring their games got over the last 10 years.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Ubi can do open world games like nobody else. But a realistic guess is that they’re letting you choose a landing spot from space, then you’ll see a foggy space-to-ground sequence through the clouds and a free flight above that landing spot and a click X to land mechanic.
I wonder if the planets have one big or several smaller open-worlds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom