• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring '07 Anime Season (Of Eternal Joy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Yep, and one of them just released the 2nd episode.
Too bad both groups are putting out some big sized encodes.

TopDreg

This week's episode of Death Note was phenomenal. They were able to offer an in-depth background of Mikami, and still keep the pace going great. I'm surprised how well the story's kept after L's arc.

Defuser

TopDreg said:
This week's episode of Death Note was phenomenal. They were able to offer an in-depth background of Mikami, and still keep the pace going great. I'm surprised how well the story's kept after L's arc.
Almost everything Madhouse touch is godlike.

7Th

Defuser said:
Almost everything Madhouse touch is godlike.

:lol

Oh God... seriously, they're amazing for movies but the majority of their series not attached to a big name tend to go towards "QUALITY" animation land in no time.

Defuser

7Th said:

Oh God... seriously, they're amazing for movies but the majority of their series not attached to a big name tend to go towards "QUALITY" animation land in no time.
Which is why I said almost ;)

Branduil

7Th said:

They're no Gonzo though.

Defuser

Beezy said:
I'm not sure when it happened, but Death Note's crazy ass OP and ED themes have grown on me. o_O
I tell you it fits DN perfectly and it's better than the first OP/ED. Maximum the hormone rockz0rs.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
TopDreg said:

I agree. I really thought the show was going to take a nose dive after that but its still really entertaining.. took me a couple episodes to get into it after Ls arc though.. part of me just wanted the show to end right there.

Akia

TopDreg said:

It was great.
Yagami's a pimp and Mikami has lost his mind.

Eliminate. Eliminate. Eliminate. Eliminate. Eliminate. Eliminate.

Grizzlyjin said:
Claymore 8 was pretty damn crazy,
that whole arc was actually very well done. Teresa had more of a personality than adult Claire...but I can't wait to see where they're going with this. Will Claire run into an "Awakened One?" Sure looks like it based on this set up.

Claymore started off decent, but the past few episodes have really taken the series to a new level.

Thank god there is at least a Yoma type that can stand up to the Claymores. With how ridiculously strong Teresa and those other Claymores were it seemed like there was no way any Yoma would ever stand a chance. I mean you would think that Claymores would in general be weaker than Yoma because they only possess a part of their power and are half human. Oh well, either way I am loving this series so far!!

Hero

BigGreenMat said:
Thank god there is at least a Yoma type that can stand up to the Claymores. With how ridiculously strong Teresa and those other Claymores were it seemed like there was no way any Yoma would ever stand a chance. I mean you would think that Claymores would in general be weaker than Yoma because they only possess a part of their power and are half human. Oh well, either way I am loving this series so far!!

I'm under the impression that Teresa could've killed Priscilla easily if she hadn't let her guard down. Remember she was only using 10% of her own yoma powers against Priscilla in her 80% plus form. And I'm pretty sure the yoma Clare fought right before they did these past few episodes was an Awakened one. She barely was able to defeat it. But Clare is going to start becoming a lot more powerful and it's kind of an awesome way how she even becomes a Claymore in the first place.

mackaveli

Hero said:
I'm under the impression that Teresa could've killed Priscilla easily if she hadn't let her guard down. Remember she was only using 10% of her own yoma powers against Priscilla in her 80% plus form. And I'm pretty sure the yoma Clare fought right before they did these past few episodes was an Awakened one. She barely was able to defeat it. But Clare is going to start becoming a lot more powerful and it's kind of an awesome way how she even becomes a Claymore in the first place.

i'm pretty sure the yoma Clare fought was not an awakened one. It states it later in the manga that it wasn't i believe.

7Th

Branduil said:
Denno Coil 2 was great... best show of the season so far.

For a expository episode it was unsurprisingly very good, intriguing and really fun even if at some moments the direction and script felt a little bit too much like if took out of a JRPG, although I'm not sure that's such a bad thing by itself since the involvement they're trying to achieve thus far comes across as very similar as that mood you get from becoming part of a well-done digital fantasy world. The movement was of course obviously going to "feel" better than in the premier considering how much "low-key action" we got this time but next episode doesn't really looks on par in the depiction of motion. We'll see, it was just a preview.

Akira

Denno Coil is so good so far. The world feels really unique and believable in the sense that the whole world is fully thought out and fresh. I just hope the quality doesn't drop. As good as Gurren Lagann has been, Denno Coil beats it in originality. How many episodes will this be?

Fireblend

Banned
Ugh, flooded with work and can't see anything of what you guys are talking about. Well, maybe I'll check out Dennou Coil 2 and Hayate 8 today :p

7Th

Akira said:
Denno Coil is so good so far. The world feels really unique and believable in the sense that the whole world is fully thought out and fresh. I just hope the quality doesn't drop. As good as Gurren Lagann has been, Denno Coil beats it in originality. How many episodes will this be?

26. And I can't get over the idea I'm watching an RPG with really good characterizations and design set in modern Japan. :lol

Omnicent

Just watched Claymore episode 8. It was executed just like the manga. I can't wait to see the
Northen Campaign
done in the anime. So many wtf NO moments will be had.

mackaveli is correct. The Yoma Clare fought in the Cathedral was a regular Yoma with a big appetite. Remember an Awakened one is really a Claymore that has fully released (100%).

What gets me is Clare, Helen, Miria, and Deneve can awaken and then go back to normal.
Though it seems it's only a spurt of the moment think. In volume 11 when Clare goes insane with rage, she goes past 80% (but not 100%) and is able to convert back, though she had to align her yoma energy with Jean. So I think there is a way to go 100% yoma and covnert back to a human form. Look at Isely(and Priscilla), Lucia, and Rafella. The big three seem normal. Raki stayed with Isely for 7 years and I assume his guts are still intact.

I think in the end these 4 will kickass and I will cry if any of these 4 die. It will be Teresa all over again.

p.s. did any of you Claymore manga readers smile in volume 12 when Clare used the windcutter. It felt like a homage to her fallen commrade Flora.

Akira

26? How many animes of that length and Denno Coil's caliber manage to keep up that quality for all 26 episodes? And DC's coil is reaaaally good, I especially like the ending song.

And I don't understand how it can feel like an RPG to you.

Fireblend

Banned
Omnicent said:
What gets me is Clare, Helen, Miria, and Deneve can awaken and then go back to normal.
Though it seems it's only a spurt of the moment think. In volume 11 when Clare goes insane with rage, she goes past 80% (but not 100%) and is able to convert back, though she had to align her yoma energy with Jean. So I think there is a way to go 100% yoma and covnert back to a human form. Look at Isely(and Priscilla), Lucia, and Rafella. The big three seem normal. Raki stayed with Isely for 7 years and I assume his guts are still intact.

I think in the end these 4 will kickass and I will cry if any of these 4 die. It will be Teresa all over again.

p.s. did any of you Claymore manga readers smile in volume 12 when Clare used the windcutter. It felt like a homage to her fallen commrade Flora.

Those are some big manga spoilers, you should say that so people don't think it's just you commenting ep. 8...

7Th

Akira said:
26? How many animes of that length and Denno Coil's caliber manage to keep up that quality for all 26 episodes? And DC's coil is reaaaally good, I especially like the ending song.

And I don't understand how it can feel like an RPG to you.

The expository scenes introducing the setting and the shop. But that's really minor and like I said above I think that role-playing aspect is part of the immersion Iso wants to accomplish.

As for the question: some do, really. You're talking about animation right? I think Gurren has done it quite nicely so far, yes I loved episode 4 and 6 was just censored rather than a real recap for budget saving, and RahXephon, Samurai Champloo and Bebop just had a few very minor downscales in that area. I expect Dennou Coil to be the same, considering the staff.

Linkzg said:
did anyone else think that Darker than Black 7 was amazing? I mean, ive enjoyed every episode so far, but 7 was amazing in every way.

I said it a while ago. Best episode yet, with less explotative melodrama and a noir-isher mood.

duckroll

Akira said:
26? How many animes of that length and Denno Coil's caliber manage to keep up that quality for all 26 episodes?

How many anime series have been in actual production for over a year before airing? :lol

7Th

duckroll said:
How many anime series have been in actual production for over a year before airing? :lol

I believe Champloo did a good job keeping a similar quality in 26 episodes myself... but then again: they took a break in the in-between.

OatmealMu

Jason said:
Skull Man certainly got stupid in a hurry. :|

zooooom.gif

Enron

Banned
I dont really see the big deal with Denno Coil. I mean, i like it, but i have yet to see any of the OMGWTFBESTTHINGEVER that ive been hearing from everywhere else. I dunno, maybe i've just seen too much anime over the years that nothing really impresses me like that anymore. At this point, its all been done before and in 99.99% of the cases, been done better.

duckroll

DtB7-8 had some really nice animation. I enjoyed the change in pace and it's nice that the series is actually happy (well, as happy as it can be anyway) for once. The stories are really pretty interesting, although these days I'm just watching bi-weekly since it works better that way anyway. :D

Defuser

So I try watching Shining Tears ep1 and I was like wtf is this shit? scenes are fast-paced, plot is unclear,some doesn't make sense,cheesy/horrible animation, so what kind of joke Studio Deen is doing?Guess I continue watching since I'm bored.On the other hand.... I just started watching Overdrive which is quite good with awesome OP and maybe some interesting cycling theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom