• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

The Dark Myth (Anoku Shinwa)

How much mythology can you fit into an hour and a half? More than you'd think!

In short, why watch bad anime like Yami when you can watch terrible anime like this?

That seems right up my alley. I will have to check it out soon.

Jex

I'm under the notion this entire project was for the fans of the related VN as it's a mess without knowledge of the series.

I think it's okay to just call it an awful mess - knowing more about the source material wouldn't fix the nonsensical story or insane editing.

cajunator

Banned
Yami to tribal warrior eldritch abominations and Quile 05

Ok, so the vampire story isn't working. I know, let's SCRAP IT COMPLETELY.

Now its time for some tribal warrior fun!

Pleased to meet you! My name is Quile.

Do you know what my name is? Its Quile.

Oh look I''m a tribal warrior. My name is Quile.

Why do I know Japanese? BECAUSE MY NAME IS QUILE. And God told me how to do it.

Did I mention my name is Quile?

Oh theyre gonna offer me as a sacrifice. I guess cause my name is Quile.

Oh its an Eldritch tiger! There's Lillith! Its her fault I think. She knows magic!

MY FUCKING NAME IS QUILE!!!!!

The tiger is a bat!

Fuck my life.

Narag

Yami to tribal warrior eldritch abominations and Quile 05

My name is Quile.

Its Quile.

My name is Quile.

BECAUSE MY NAME IS QUILE.

Did I mention my name is Quile?

I guess cause my name is Quile.

MY FUCKING NAME IS QUILE!!!!!

Fuck my life.

Does this constitute a request for a name change?

Jex

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 06:

I'm sitting here thinking of something to write, and it's not coming to me. The implications of this episode are extremely fucking disturbing when you consider that Yami is an adaptation of an eroge.
An immortal loli who still acts like a loli, is sad about her flat chest and wants a husband

There was also some kind of message about womanhood, big tits, marriage, and lesbianism, but my attempts to comprehend anything ceased when.......fuck it, I can't describe it, just look at this picture. I'm going to have an aneurysm.
Once again, you're really engaging in a pretty dangerous exercise - attempting to work out what's going on when the only thing that viewers are looking for is:

p001.jpg
p021.jpg

You really need to understand that this is the material that we're talking about here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ha! Just finished the first ep!

Maria-sama ga Miteru 01

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj5no1kq1H1qbry3s.jpg

Straight up classy. Though the girls in the student council look like they can be vicious when they want to! I really hope this isn't light on the GL, as I wanna see some confessions and conflict. Loving the music for the OP&ED.

Watch out Yumi, Sachiko will make you hers!

You know, after you watch this arc, you then need to watch the live action movie!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I feel like it's a show where the parts are greater than the whole. There are moments of absolute brilliance, but as an interconnected and complete work it's not as effective as it should be. I guess it's like the LOST of anime.
Best part about Penguin drum unlike LOST is you can't use the "but but it was all about the characters" excuse. Because MPD didn't even try to have any form of characterization.:p
Some of the individual scenes and episodes of Penguin Drum are absolutely brilliant, but as a whole the show is messy, wildly inconsistent, and unsatisfying. It was poorly planned on Ikuhara's part - he had so many ideas that he wanted to stuff in that he didn't bother to stop and think about how they fit together. I found it a worthwhile watch, if far from the masterpiece some in here view it as.
It's very much like Utena in a way, in that it's absolutely brilliant at capturing mood in it's individual sequences, unfortunately unlike Utena it didn't really have the characterization and conciseness to back it up, but I'm like BluWacky and very much loved the hell out of the show, despite it's issues.

Instro

Just watched the second episode of fate/zero....fucking amazing. Great use of cg(best I've seen yet in an anime) and the part where
the caster kills the kid really took me back. I actually thought he would let the dude go...
This show has balls and I love it. I used to be part of the colelctive that though anime was dead, but with this Kids on the Slope and Lupin III, it definitely is far from it.

In general Fate/Zero is pretty great with its utilization of cg. They do an impressive job with not only the quality of cg, but how they blend it with the hand drawn visuals.

cajunator

Banned
My glasses are so thick theres no way to "hide" the fact that they are so I just get comfortable frames that dont break and fashion matters fuck-all.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Mawaru Penguindrum 15

So like
did that dad guy make her a penis or rape her with chisels or I don't know

This show is so vague and dumb and not really clever or well directed enough to compensate and the previous episode had a CG car that looked like it came out of a videogame, why am I watching this? This is a bad show with some good episodes. Keyword being some, definitely not enough to make up for the sea of doodoo.

frostbyte

Lovely Complex 24 [FINAL]

TAEU_News_LovelyComplex.jpg

I was planning on completing this show yesterday but some things came up that prevented me from doing so. The concept behind the story is solid. I never thought there would be a romance anime dealing with a height complex, especially one where the female lead is taller than the male lead. It's something I can appreciate though, as I always wanted a pairing where a girl was obviously bigger than her boyfriend. And major props for giving the cast different outfits for every episode, it made them look like real people.

Koizumi was great. I love her energy and the ridiculous faces she'd make when dealing with Otani's blow ups, not to mention she could give reality checks when people needed them.

The supporting cast was kind of weak. Nobu for the most part stole the spotlight from everyone else besides the leads (considering she was the mastermind for most of the love schemes in the series). Beyond that, we don't even get a real good look at Koizumi and Otani's friends until the last few episodes of the series.

Near the end though things felt a bit rushed and forced, like
resolving the issues revolving around Chiharu and Suzuki that only took 10 mins before everything was fine again. It's like they wanted to show that even the supporting characters had their share of problems, yet imo only managed to do that with Nobu and Nakao. Chiharu and Suzuki's "arc" if you even want to call it that just felt weird.

That aside it truly was a fun show and would recommend it for those who haven't seen it yet.

So it's a good watch? How did you think it was in comparison to other works like Kimi ni Todoke? Better, worse or can't really compare?

and watch Kare Kano :(

Kare Kano was the last great Gainax TV series. What a way to go out.

Kuwabara THE MAN indeed. Brofist.

Do you live in Australia? Congratulations, Madman Entertainment just licensed a bunch of shows, including Star Driver, Oreimo, and, notably, Aquarion EVOL.

lolololol. Galactic Bishounen, Oreimo and Kawamori shit. Great pickups, Madman.

Why won't you release Nichijou? ;_;

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Naw, it's just one of my favorites.

Unless you can find a possible connection through that symbolic seeing glass of yours!

A giant's laugh for giant tits

Once again, you're really engaging in a pretty dangerous exercise - attempting to work out what's going on when the only thing that viewers are looking for is:

You really need to understand that this is the material that we're talking about here.

Why are there any scenes that aren't that, then? The plot is a subatomically-thin vehicle for yuri scenes, so why wasn't it just done away with entirely? I could more than handle 22 minutes of Lilith and Hazuki feeling each other up, but this is testing the limits of my sanity.

cajunator

Banned
A giant's laugh for giant tits

Why are there any scenes that aren't that, then? The plot is a subatomically-thin vehicle for yuri scenes, so why wasn't it just done away with entirely? I could more than handle 22 minutes of Lilith and Hazuki feeling each other up, but this is testing the limits of my sanity.

Kannazuki no Miko is a similar kind of thing.
By the end of episode one you are well aware that they give absolutely fuck-all care about a plot.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mai Ritoru Poni: Yuujou wa Mahou 23

Awesome episode thanks to the powers of Rainbow Dash and the awesomeness that is the Cutie Mark Crusade. Scootaloo has been crushing her hard for her idol Rainbow Dash, it’s adorable.

It was cool to learn the origins of all the ponies, well almost. I really enjoyed Applejack and Twilight’s stories.

Applejack going to
manehattan was hilarious and fitting. The country gal wanted to live the city life in the Big Apple I loved the pony rendition of the Statue of Liberty.
Of course that wasn’t for Applejack. And Twilight
struggling to harness her mutant powers magic abilities was pretty swell too, providing some much needed backstory between Trollestia and Twilight.

Fluttershy and Rarity were dull as expected and Rainbow Dash was a boss even as a filly. Fluttershy was really ugly as a filly, she was really think and lanky and pretty odd looking. Loli Filly Applejack and Twilight were so cute.

But was Pinkie Pie’s story true or not? The fact she was so quick to dismiss it as “made up” makes me think it is actually true. And thats sad a childhood if it is and would explain her partying habits :(

Mai Ritoru Poni: Yuujou wa Mahou 24

This episode was a hoot. Well not really, it was totally average especially compared to the last episode which was fantastic.

Episode showcased the full range of emotions of Spike from happiness to pure saltiness. Spike isn’t exactly the most cunning dragon either, that was the weakest set up attempt I have ever seen. But that Owl is a total jerk who deserved it. I hope he never shows up again.

One of the things that really struck me about this episode was how it focused on the concept of death. Everypony in the show has been in mortal danger at some point throughout the series but it was that pretty innocuous moment involving the setup
when Spike squirts the fake ketchup all over the “dead mouse”
where you realize things actually do indeed actually die for real in Equestria. And it’s not all magical and fantasy either.

Instro

Smile Precure 11

Might be one of my favorite episodes of Precure. Sure the plot is not totally unique, but its handled in a pretty hilarious way. There's some shades of Arjuna in there as well, and it tops off with what I think is the best battle thus far for the show. Some solid sakuga in there.

Jex

That's a really good question, isn't it? Why didn't they just make a hentai? Why is there so much nonsensical plot?

The answer is always: because it's Yami.

Why do we have Ponys in here? you not watching the Japanese dubs are you?

ps I do watch but this taking things a bit too far, and cant work out why anyone would

cajunator

Banned
Yami and the little island of lolis and tigers 06

The tribal thing was too passe so its time for an island episode.

Ok so there's al oli and her tiger. This looks unsafe.

But it's ok because
the tiger viciously murdered her caretakers[/spoiler/]
To be fair, they were assholes.

Hazuki offers to make pancakes. YUM.

So they all go inside have a yuri good time. Wait? what?

Apparently Seiren from the Vampire arc was in this episode and she was upset because she couldn't partake in the happy yuriness. Because her dress was stuck on nothing and it prevented all forward movement. fuck I hate it when that happens.

Also, Periperi. what is periperi? Who fucking knows.

And then cliffhanger. amazing. Im amazed. what was that tribal girl's name again? totally didn't catch it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mawaru Penguindrum 15

So like
did that dad guy make her a penis or rape her with chisels or I don't know

This show is so vague and dumb and not really clever or well directed enough to compensate and the previous episode had a CG car that looked like it came out of a videogame, why am I watching this? This is a bad show with some good episodes. Keyword being some, definitely not enough to make up for the sea of doodoo.

I agree with you in all the points you mentioned, but you've already come this far.

Hold on a little longer for the great final 5 episodes.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
You know, after you watch this arc, you then need to watch the live action movie!

I'll be sure to!

So it's a good watch? How did you think it was in comparison to other works like Kimi ni Todoke? Better, worse or can't really compare?

If you have the free time, I'd say check it out. Even though I wanted to tear my hair out during the 2nd season of Kimi ni Todoke I wouldn't say Lovely Complex is better. The supporting cast for Kimi ni Todoke beats the piss out of LoveCom, and does a hell of a better job of giving them personal arcs of actual worth.

LoveCom will bring you laughs though, so if you're looking for that then you're good to go. I'll be sure to check out Kare Kano, thanks again for the suggestion.

Maria-sama ga Miteru 03

Maria-sama1.png

Rosa Gigantea you are the best onee-san!

Got excited with Sachiko looked pissed when she walked in on the two of them. I thought she was going to snatch Yumi out her arms and say something possessive. And what's up that Suguru guy? Dude is shady, and I want him gone! Don't lose to him Yumi!

cajunator

Banned
Yami to finally an episode that makes a little sense 07

First off, Before I head off to work, I'll leave you with a screencap that perfectly explains how this show is written:

So basically when the show wants to move on, it literally just drops characters on a whim. amazing stuff.
They did explain what the fuck periperi is kind of
ChibiLillith playing with some broken pages of the book

The rest of the episode actually makes a frightening amount of sense, and if it was all like this, it would be extremely decent.

It involves a glimpse into Hazuki and Hatsumi's relationship with each other and why Hazuki cares so much for her. It's actually not a bad episode overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom