• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

It's becoming obvious that AnimeGAF needs its own version of Realpic month. We can draw an animefied/moefied version of ourselves and use them as avatars for a few weeks.

My avatar wouldn't change, of course, because I actually am a mahou shoujo in real life.

What a coincidence, I'm a magical hero in real life.

cajunator

Banned
THE END IS COMING!

3zaWB.jpg

OO NYAA OO NYAA OO NYAA

LETS NYAA!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's becoming obvious that AnimeGAF needs its own version of Realpic month. We can draw an animefied/moefied version of ourselves and use them as avatars for a few weeks.

My avatar wouldn't change, of course, because I actually am a mahou shoujo in real life.

And I'm actually myself in real life.

Huh.

Is it wrong that I hear you as Mickey?

That's an interesting twist to duckroll.

My last one was close enough. I have been head tilting a lot more.

This one could just be an older version of me, with a funny hat.

Articalys

The Lite version is linked from that page
Direct link: http://soukyu.net/ext/apk/WallpaperNyarukoLite.apk

The full version is sold on a couple of doujin download stores: Melonbooks.com and DLsite.com
DLsite has an English side but currently this app isn't on it. Might or might not show up there depending on the whims of the author.

Signing up for the Japanese side of Melonbooks and DLsite is pretty easy, though.
Especially Melonbooks--as I recall it just asks for an email address and nickname and that's about it, no real life address.
PM me if you want to buy the full version and could use a sign-up guide for Melonbooks.
I downloaded and installed the lite version; from what I can tell it basically lacks all the settings from the normal version? Still cute though.

Also, could you tell me about what seems to be the battery meter widget from the same guy's site?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Tsuritama 02

I'm trying to like it, but I'm not feeling it. Everything about the show is really well-made, it's just that I can't stand any of these fuckers. The "bros being bros" quota this season is already being filled by Watanabe anyway.

I think duckroll's presence in the show jinxed it.

Instro

Eureka 7 AO 2

That was hot. I loved the startup sequence for the IFO. Underwater, the jets slowly starting up, the cover disintegrating as it rises out out of the water. Really neat scene. I also really liked how the...alien thing(not sure if they gave it a name?) animated. Lots of different configurations while it was moving around and fighting, very cool looking. Obviously the entire episode was well animated, you could pick out many scenes to look at and be impressed. The music continues to deliver as well, very happy with that. The next few episodes will be the real test as it starts getting into the narrative, but so far so good. I think I'm more hyped to watch this show's next episode more so than anything else atm.

Also, I love how the ending to the battle was total improvisation.
Using the broken arm to smash the bad guy was rather unique.

Jarmel

Banned
Ok let me break down AO episode 2 a bit more. This is the best episode I've seen all season. The people working on this show know their shit.

The OP is very good. The early symbolism with Ao chasing the bird, being representative of Eureka, with the closing symbolism of the Nirvash chasing Eureka again to the moon. They're also playing up Naru's role such as Ao seeing her whenever he's in the cockpit. I'm also surprised they're adding helmets to the series when the first really didn't have any. I think they did fuck up on Naru appearing on Ao's helmet in the OP as the image should be reversed.

Let me start with the music as it's outstanding. The show is definitely playing a lot of string pieces and it works. The piece that introduces Fleur is amazing and reflects the playfulness of the scene, The music at 15:14 is a great victory piece and is in theme with the other string pieces throughout the show. It also looks like they have certain theme pieces such as the one right before the combat sequence when Ao gets in the IFO, which is excellent. I'm now wondering how many pieces they have left for the show as it seems they burned through a ton already.

One thing about the show is that it seems they're trying to play up the physics to a certain extent. You can see that in the first episode and in cases throughout the second episode. For example the heat from the jets burning away the tarp or when Ao shoots through the carrier.

Gotta love those cat ears.

They're doing pretty well so far with the characters. Gazelle isn't as much of a douchebag as in the manga and seems to fit the older brother stereotype. Ao has the sense to both hide the IFO from everybody but also pretend to be a victim. He shows resourcefullness, courage, but also humanity in regards to how people perceive him and his new hair color. He's much closer to end-game Renton in E7 and the show benefits from that. Fleur also surprised me as I expected her to be more of a bitch, she might be playing it up though. The little mannerisms Fleur and Elena had while waiting for the launch command was a nice humanizing touch too. All the characters feel much less like generic stereotypes than what I was expected and I'm very glad to be wrong about my earlier impressions.

It also looks like they're going to tackle the racism through Ao this time around as opposed to the Vodarac. That should be interesting as it'll be less of a sidetopic this go around.

This image here shows that instead of just making the IFO another humanoid mech they really are trying to add more surfing moves into the combat, something later in E7 that wasn't really the case. It looks much more like surfing than in the original series. The fight choreography is also very good and easily on par with the original series. The way the mech moved felt very organic to the surfing style.

Shit this is better than the original.

sonicmj1

Lupin III 3

Another excellent episode. I really liked the way the train's smoke looked.

It wasn't quite as tense as the previous two, but the more relaxed pace was nice too. Goemon is a fun character, a kind of naive counterpoint to Jigen. And I liked how the siblings complicate Fujiko's characterization at this point.

I wonder where they'll go from here.

This conversation was really funny to read while waking up this morning.

Though if you're having trouble grasping motivation in character-based episodes I'm going to predict you'll probably dislike the next arc...

I'm glad I can repay you in some way for convincing me to drop Bakemonogatari.

And I swear I don't normally have this problem.

Kagami

I downloaded and installed the lite version; from what I can tell it basically lacks all the settings from the normal version? Still cute though.

Also, could you tell me about what seems to be the battery meter widget from the same guy's site?

This one?
http://soukyu.net/2011/09/09/1058
Direct link: http://soukyu.net/ext/apk/widgetbatterycirno/WidgetBatteryCirno.apk
Cirno from Touhou.
The page doesn't say much so I guess it doesn't have any settings options.
Touching the widget should bring up battery details.

Avatars take up too much space anyway.

Articalys

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.

Random Hiramatsu girl reporting in.

Instro

One thing about the show is that it seems they're trying to play up the physics to a certain extent. You can see that in the first episode and in cases throughout the second episode. For example the heat from the jets burning away the tarp or when Ao shoots through the carrier.

Yes this was a great scene. The attention to physics(at least to some degree anyway) is also seen when Ao blacks out from the g-forces on his IFO. Not overly noteworthy, but these are some neat touches within the show that I like.

Yes this was a great scene. The attention to physics(at least to some degree anyway) is also seen when Ao blacks out from the g-forces on his IFO. Not overly noteworthy, but these are some neat touches within the show that I like.

The heat venting from Nirvashe's mouth when it woke up was an interesting touch

Kagami

Actually I meant the Nyaruko one: http://soukyu.net/2012/04/19/1827
And I also meant the settings for the live wallpaper, which seem to be disabled in the Lite version.
Ah. That says in the full version the image changes based on your battery's SAN value, but in the Lite one she stays the same the whole time. Also, you can poke her with a fork, and the screen that comes up as a result of attacking her with the fork is more detailed in the full version.

Of course.

As for me, this is my casual attire.

Branduil

While the number of roaming gangs in Kids on the Slope is pretty darn ridiculous it's at least worth pointing out that the second episode takes place a couple of weeks after this first one, so it's not all this stuff was happening right on top of each other.

Also, I like the way that
the three encounters were all resolved differently. In the first episode there's an actual fight, at the start of the second episode it starts off like another brawl but kind of descends into stupidity and the third encounter doesn't actually lead to any physical conflict.

Still, having all these characters meet up solely through fights seems like some lazy writing.

Well, I think the last encounter is the only one where you can say it was perhaps awkwardly serendipitous. The first two proceeded in a logical manner from what had happened before.

To be fair, what do you expect modest girls to wear, immodest clothing? That wouldn't make any sense.

Anime has conditioned fans to expect all girls to flash some skin, even when it wouldn't make any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom