• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I like how for a Studio 4C production, there are a bunch of IG animators in it as well. Lol.

Studio 4C should clearly stop making stupid stuff for games and get back to making ugly Berserk because that's what the people want.

trejo

Did you guys seriously just spend the last couple of pages arguing over pantyshots in the Soredemo OP?

I, for one, think it's great that you're finally getting into the spirit of things. I'm proud of y'all.

Girls don't care about wearing maid costumes, really? Given how fetishized the costume is by many guys, I'd think some would...

I'd like to see a studio with the cojones to do this and then claim "there is no pantyshots in this anime!"
This is the generally accepted reason why the Saki franchise (manga or anime) has no pantyshots, in fact.

Of course, the idea that people here who don't like pantyshots in something they see as "classy" would prefer that is obviously a joke.

... But actually, given the degree of panty-obsession in Japan (among otaku particularly, of course), I have serious doubts that, censorship laws or no, otaku would like that either. Their reasons would be entirely different from the previous group though, of course. :p

Jex

Did you guys seriously just spend the last couple of pages arguing over pantyshots in the Soredemo OP?

I, for one, think it's great that you're finally getting into the spirit of things. I'm proud of y'all.

Now it's a real anime thread.

First, anything set in a maid cafe is from the grounds up fanservicey. Even without pantyshots, maid costumes are one of the major forms of anime otaku costume fanservice, and they're probably the top one that isn't normal clothing people today wear. By putting anime characters in maid costumes you automatically have fanservice. So, when you have something like that and then it has pantyshots... um, why in the world would anyone be surprised? It's stupid fanservice with or without them!

Maid Sama! has no female fanservice at all.

Really though, maid costume fanservice is so mainstream. Today's hipster otaku can get their fanservice from the end of a toothbrush.

cajunator

Banned
Girls don't care about wearing maid costumes, really? Given how fetishized the costume is by many guys, I'd think some would...

This is the generally accepted reason why the Saki franchise (manga or anime) has no pantyshots, in fact.

Of course, the idea that people here who don't like pantyshots in something they see as "classy" would prefer that is obviously a joke.

... But actually, given the degree of panty-obsession in Japan (among otaku particularly, of course), I have serious doubts that, censorship laws or no, otaku would like that either. Their reasons would be entirely different from the previous group though, of course. :p

Generally I don't care about pantyshots or a glimpse of them as long as it isnt the focus of the show. Incidental viewing of them isnt going to kill somebody. Girls wear panties. This is a fact of life.

It's from Nichibros. The females from there are all pretty much from outer space and do not regard such Earthly concerns.

So true. This is the beauty of nichibros. The girls are all completely batshit insane.

Jex

[Birdy The Mighty Decode 11]

BirdyBoats.png

That seemed really, err, abrupt. I can only assume
that he did something to her which would make her go towards him in this time of crisis, otherwise it just seems like a really convenient character decision that's come entirely out of left field. For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt

Overall I can't that that I really impressed with this episode, it didn't seem to move along quite as smoothly as the others. I'd probably have to do a rewatch to better understand what aspects of it I don't like. I just don't have time at the moment to give this episode a more thorough viewing,

Steroyd

Sketchbook - 02

Starting the day with your left foot forward instead of your usual right to create an unusal day where everything isn't what it usually is, but at least with that you can re-appreciate the usual days as they are.

Brought to you by :Firehawk.

It's from Nichibros. The females from there are all pretty much from outer space and do not regard such Earthly concerns.

Ah.

Really though, maid costume fanservice is so mainstream. Today's hipster otaku can get their fanservice from the end of a toothbrush.

What is that, guys in maid dresses or something then? But, even if it's mainstream, it's still very definitely fanservice by existing! That's why the maid-dresses thing exists, after all, for fanservice of sorts.

Generally I don't care about pantyshots or a glimpse of them as long as it isnt the focus of the show. Incidental viewing of them isnt going to kill somebody. Girls wear panties. This is a fact of life.

Don't tell that to the otaku... :)

cajunator

Banned

There is fanservice even on the DVD covers for the discs. I am looking at it right now.
Especially the front of the second volume is extremely provocative.

Lain

Symphogear 2

Too much tunz-tunz-tunz in this. The fights singing are sort of lame enough as is, if at least the music was better, it would gain some points.

There is fanservice even on the DVD covers for the discs. I am looking at it right now.

The second volume has naked apron, IIRC. The show itself has no fanservice to speak of really though, mostly because it's a shoujo I guess.

I blame Sentai for the DVD covers, mostly.

Jex

It's that difference in visibility.

q1DXZ.jpg

Getting new recruits periodically is a good thing, and the prevailing belief seems to be that new members never visit Community.

I don't know if that's actually true though, of it's just the perception.

cajunator

Banned
The second volume has naked apron, IIRC. The show itself has no fanservice to speak of really though, mostly because it's a shoujo I guess.

I havent watched my discs yet but I saw a little of the series and it certainly wasn't very fanservicey. but I can't say one way or the other until I finally sit down and view the show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yes you do, would make a nice break from all those masochistically bad anime you've subjected yourself to lately :p

I might just do this, I haven't watched a series where I can just shut my brain off and relax in quite a while.

Pretty sure the DVDs try to be as deceptive as possible in order to obscure the fact that the show is actually a shoujo.

I don't know if that's actually true though, of it's just the perception.

Time to start PMing random juniors about their Community experiences.

cajunator

Banned
I might just do this, I haven't watched a series where I can just shut my brain off and relax in quite a while.

Pretty sure the DVDs try to be as deceptive as possible in order to obscure the fact that the show is actually a shoujo.

I bought it knowing that it was a shoujo. However the covers do seem to go all out on the fanservice, with her holding cherries next to a guy and some very provocative poses.
Certainly not gonna complain about it, just throwing it out there.

I havent watched my discs yet but I saw a little of the series and it certainly wasn't very fanservicey. but I can't say one way or the other until I finally sit down and view the show.

I recommend it, it's a personal favorite.

EDIT: It's even native 16:9, these types of anime should be supported and indeed backlog prioritized.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It just has crappy voice acting, I'm afraid.
Yep. :(

No, dresden knows whats up. P3lizabeth is best Elizabeth
This is just objectively wrong.
See.
As always, shit just got real!

Well, of course, that's their prerogative. That's not entirely what I was getting at though (camera angles and all). Perhaps I should make myself clearer - if you film someone twirling energetically in a skirt you'll inevitably capture such imagery. It's not a choice. However, adding in particular snippets of such imagery is a choice because there was no real person twirling to take reference from - everything was created from the group up for very specific purposes.
I mean, unless it's a sport like figure skating or tennis where you don't have any control whatsoever, you still have a choice of what camera you can use and so forth. Of course, you can also choose to edit out stuff as well.

No. There is such a thing as good English voice acting - see stuff like Uncharted.
I was joking there, but really; we must not be watching the same show. I find VA in Korra to be fantastic.
It sounds anime dubbish - that is, affectation and people performing rather than talking naturally.

But then you'd have to interact with a real girl to find that out, and who does that?

True.

Black Falcon, why aren't your reviewing my Milky Holmes reviews anymore? :(

You mean eps 9 and 10? I responded to the earlier ones I think, or at least some of them. I still mean to respond to the ep. 9 one, but i don't really remember ep. 10 offhand... I don't remember what that episode was. Also, you haven't responded to much from the rest of my replies...

Yes. I have this series. Its called Magikano.
I mentioned it earlier.
Right, right, Magikano.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I bought it knowing that it was a shoujo. However the covers do seem to go all out on the fanservice, with her holding cherries next to a guy and some very provocative poses.
Certainly not gonna complain about it, just throwing it out there.

It's pretty much the textbook definition of Contemptible Cover. I find it hard to believe that a niche company like Sentai even gets sales from people who are causal-enough anime fans to be swayed by DVD cover art, but it must work for them.

Jex

Anime quality has never wavered. It is pretty much the same as it always ways. the music used to be better though.

I don't know about that. Some years you can say "half of these shows went on to influence anime as know it today" where as other hears have a handful of good titles.

Ultimadrago

You guys make it sound like Nichibros isn't an accurate representation of high school girls(or guys).

If a high schooler ever existed as awesome as Karasawa, high school students globally would get a less infamous rap. That's the only male representation that matters.

Also, no high school girl's as awesome in their primal nature as Ringo. At least, not without adding drrrrrr-amaaaa in the mix. /generalization101

As for Funky High School Girls...that's probably pretty accurate in some areas.

You mean eps 9 and 10? I responded to the earlier ones I think, or at least some of them. I still mean to respond to the ep. 9 one, but i don't really remember ep. 10 offhand... I don't remember what that episode was. Also, you haven't responded to much from the rest of my replies...

Oh, I didn't know if you were expecting replies since you seemed to just answer my questions and reaffirm a few of my thoughts. I'll go reply to some.

You can be my entire statistical pool, margin of error be damned. So do you visit Community or not?

I can affirm that I do not visit Community.

-Minsc-

It was A-OK in Star Trek.

space_seed_panties.jpg

I need not say more on that.

aok.jpg

That Soredemo opening was quite catchy. It needs more of the buck-toothed girl though (if she didn't have the boobs I'd call her a guy).

cajunator

Banned
It's pretty much the textbook definition of Contemptible Cover. I find it hard to believe that a niche company like Sentai even gets sales from people who are causal-enough anime fans to be swayed by DVD cover art, but it must work for them.

The only complaint I have about Sentai is their releases are SUPER CHEAP.
Like, not even insert artwork levels of cheap.
I wish they would add some schwag, like NISA does, but I can fully understand that they probably can't afford it.

Jex

That's not really any different in Japanese, though.

I knew this argument would come up but really, it's completely irrelevant. Unless I'm comparing the voice acting in Korra to a Japanese anime it doesn't make any sense to bring that up.

Korra is not an anime and it has English voice acting, which I compared to other English voice acting. That is all.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It was A-OK in Star Trek.

But in the 22nd century, mankind has completely abandoned sexual taboos and as such has eradicated the power of clothing to titillate, so sadly this is not a counterexample :(

The only complaint I have about Sentai is their releases are SUPER CHEAP.
Like, not even insert artwork levels of cheap.
I wish they would add some schwag, like NISA does, but I can fully understand that they probably can't afford it.

NISA gives off the image of barely scraping by far more than Sentai does. I do find Sentai's releases depressingly spartan, though this seems to be the new reality of R1 releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom