• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Kaiba weirded me out a bit, to be frank. I could see myself getting back into it though. I tried to watch Tatami subbed and was immediately lost. I think if I'm going to do that one I need to watch it dubbed.

I had to rewatch Tatami several times to understand the wordswordswords. So many wordswordswords.

Mature

Watch: Magical shopping Arcade Abenobashi
Avoid like the fucking plague: This Ugly Yet Beautiful World (unless you thought Mahoromatic was the cutest stuff ever, which is the pitfall that led me to watch this fucking garbage show because of Hikari/Akari)
What did you think of Mahoromatic? I'm still going through Gainax shows and I wasn't sure whether or not to hit that one up. I had no idea it was directed by Hiroyuki Yamaga.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
uY77ceJ.gif

yami4ct

It's cool man, I'm not hating on you or anything. Like I've said before...if the show gives you entertainment even in that manner, I'm certainly not going to stop you.

The show is very stupid, but the difference is I see charm and a degree of intention in that stupidity, rather than incompetence or randomness. Well, at least for the majority of season one.

The way the show alternates from hyper serious with dumb plot mode to purely goofy stupidity, I honestly find it difficult to tell if the show is intentionally dumb or not.

Articalys

One more time, just to catch any stragglers:

THE SECOND ANIMEGAF SURVEY -- ANIMEGAF THREAD ACTIVITY
(quote to see link)

Participation is now at a wonderful 66 respondents, but I'd to see if we can get that number just a tad higher. I'll probably close the survey in about 24 hours and get working on the results after that.

Tatami Galaxy was loads of fun, though I'm really not sure how I didn't have to rewind many times for subs I missed. This needs a rewatch soon to determine if I'm just remembering incorrectly.

Kaiba weirded me out a bit, to be frank. I could see myself getting back into it though.

You should. I love the aesthetic style, and it's got some really hard-hitting episodes. The ending is a bit out there, but not as much as Kemonozume.

I tried to watch Tatami subbed and was immediately lost. I think if I'm going to do that one I need to watch it dubbed.

Unfortunately I don't think there'll ever be a dub, or even a proper disc release here in the U.S. (Curse you, Funimation!) If you can get past the first episode, the stream of dialogue does become easier to follow.

Tatami Galaxy is by far my favorite work from Yuasa (that I've seen).

It's mine too (and I've seen pretty much all of them).

cajunator

Banned
What did you think of Mahoromantic? I'm still going through Gainax shows and I wasn't sure whether or not to hit that one up. I had no idea it was directed by Hiroyuki Yamaga.

I liked Mahoromatic. People hate it but of course I was smitten by the adorable characters. I dont like the endings much from what I can remember, and the show is really slice of lifey most of the time. Its hard to say if you would enjoy it or not. Personally I love the whole cute android maid asskicking genre. and yes, this genre does exist. I wonder how much of my enjoyment of it is clouded by nostalgia though.

What did you think of Mahoromantic? I'm still going through Gainax shows and I wasn't sure whether or not to hit that one up. I had no idea it was directed by Hiroyuki Yamaga.

Mahoromatic is okay. The serious parts are mostly pretty good, while the comedic parts are hit or miss. It does have lots of fanservice of course, particularly in the comedy/harem episodes, but the show has a serious side, and the plot there is solid and kept me watching to the end. It's also got a completely crazy, Gainax-level final episode... good stuff! Oh, and the first season's OP and ED are really good. S2's are good as well, but not quite as great as the first season's are.

Oh, the followup series, that 2-episode OVA from several years later... it's all comedy, and isn't very good. Watch the two original seasons, but that is optional.

The OP of S1 fits great with the serious side of the show, and still is quite good...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIDz2uwqHsM

And the ED fits great with the comedic side. Though it's probably actually sillier than some of the actual episodes, still, it fits well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQc6_bnXcWI

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Code Geass Rewatch 23-25

I'm not the biggest JYB fan but he does a great job as Lelouch. The one time that JYB excels in his role and trumps Fukuyama is easily the last line in episode 25. The way he says it is absolutely amazing.

Code Geass R2 Rewatch 1-2

LOLOLOLOLOL.

cajunator

Banned
Code Geass Rewatch 23-25

I'm not the biggest JYB fan but he does a great job as Lelouch. The one time that JYB excels in his role and trumps Fukuyama is easily the last line in episode 25. The way he says it is absolutely amazing.

LOLOLOLOLOL.

Code Geass R2 starts off very promising with Kallen bunnygirl and other lovely things, but I lost interest quickly for some reason.

Code Geass Rewatch 23-25

LOLOLOLOLOL.

But yesterday, you made it seem like JYB wasnt a good lelouch.

JCG

The way the show alternates from hyper serious with dumb plot mode to purely goofy stupidity, I honestly find it difficult to tell if the show is intentionally dumb or not.

I think it's serious in an operatic or theatrical sense, which means exaggeration and frankly melodrama, not really in terms of aiming for realistic drama.

There are places where the staff refers to the series as being like a variety show that constantly entertains the viewer with different elements and activities, or other descriptions along those same lines, so I do think that shifting aspect of the structure is deliberate. That's not everyone's cup of tea, naturally, but I do think the early part of the show was better directed than early Valvrave.

Mature

Nuh-uh. Time to modernize.

You should. I love the aesthetic style, and it's got some really hard-hitting episodes. The ending is a bit out there, but not as much as Kemonozume.

Unfortunately I don't think there'll ever be a dub, or even a proper disc release here in the U.S. (Curse you, Funimation!) If you can get past the first episode, the stream of dialogue does become easier to follow.

It's mine too (and I've seen pretty much all of them).
Oh, what! I totally thought Funi did a whole release over here in NA. I know a lot of people look fondly on Tatami, so I'd be willing to give it a shot regardless.

I liked Mahoromatic. People hate it but of course I was smitten by the adorable characters. I dont like the endings much from what I can remember, and the show is really slice of lifey most of the time. Its hard to say if you would enjoy it or not. Personally I love the whole cute android maid asskicking genre. and yes, this genre does exist. I wonder how much of my enjoyment of it is clouded by nostalgia though.
Hmm! I'd give it a shot too.

yami4ct

Code Geass Rewatch 23-25

LOLOLOLOLOL.

I thought you said you'd be going slow, haha.

You watched the Japanese VA the first time, it seems. Cool. It's the opposite for me. I caught the english first and am now watching the Japanese voices. I need to watch a bit more to get a full sense of it, but it's an interesting change.

Articalys

Hataraku Maou-sama 4

Emi breaking down confronting Maou about his past deeds then her boiling rage after hearing his throwaway apology
was a really good scene. Hope they have a chance to come back to it later, though the ending scene implies otherwise.

Also, Maou and Alsiel are pretty much the buddy comedy of the forever.

Next week we finally get the real OP animation!

Syrinx

Oh it's that time, huh?

Damn, and I wanted to write Heartcatch impressions when I was done watching this. Oh well, OT2 I guess.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
But yesterday, you made it seem like JYB wasnt a good lelouch.

I think that might be because I said it in contrast. I think JYB is fine as Lelouch in all honesty. It's one of his better casted roles. Having said that, the reason it sounds like he was bad was in comparison to Fukuyama, I don't think JYB is better. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom