• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

MHA season 2 episode 1

Was a fine start to a new 25 episode season.

Attack on titan season 2 episode 1

was a fine start to a new 12 episode season.

:p

Sword Art Online Abridged - 11 - Season Finale
Without a doubt, SWE has managed to improve upon SAO in every single way imaginable. SAOA is the true canon to the series. I really like how they actually gave Kayaba an actual good motive that wasn't him just being insane.
Damn you Bethesda and Metacritic!

Can't wait for Season 2 to start up in a couple months, I am extremely interested in how they will pull off ALO

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, I watched all of Fractale, and let me tell you, I fell left down. 5 hours of my life, wasted. The show goes nowhere. It super mediocre, it doesn't evoke any feelings at all. It's not even bad, just a waste of time.

Ascheroth

AoT #26

Not feeling the OP song. Dinos where hype though. Not feeling the ED song either. Eh.
Episode itself was alright. Beast titan was great. I noticed that I feel rather disconnected to the characters after the long break, so that kind of worsens the experience.

Well, I watched all of Fractale, and let me tell you, I fell left down. 5 hours of my life, wasted. The show goes nowhere. It super mediocre, it doesn't evoke any feelings at all. It's not even bad, just a waste of time.

The true Yamakan experience.

Wait so AoT goes absent for 4 years and comes back with a 12 episode run? Are they purposely trying to kill its popularity?

It's funny how no one seemed hyped for it in the forum, but the moment they said it was only 1-cour everyone seems thirsty for it. "are they crazy? only 12 episodes after all this time?!"

I think a lot of the reason people are concerned is not just this episode but because there's been a whole season with pacing and other problems, and instead of fixing those problems in the second season as people were hoping it appears to be on track to continue a lot of them.

But see, outside of the recap I don't feel like it moved all that slow. However I'll confess I really didn't feel like the first season was all that tedious to begin with either.

Edit: Just to clarify. As someone who read the manga, I don't feel like the adaptation moved all that much slower than the manga does. That first set of arcs from S1 moves slow anyway. So my feeling is that the anime just really replicates it much the same way the manga presented it in a very slow build fashion. It's part of the reason, I think, that there's always so much talk about how the Sports Festival is where people really get sucked in. Hence why I also think we had a five minute recap, in order to make this a kind of second jumping on point for people.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Anime of the decade confirmed, Pop Team Epic:

w940fDr.jpg

qLnPAEs.png

Checking out some anime PVs for this season.

What the hell is that thing?

Why do they think they should show that ugly CG scene in a PV?

I have to agree here. I like how the 2D parts of Alice to Zouroku look, but the badly textured 3D in this trailer almost gives me Golgo 13: The Professional flashbacks. Not a good look for whoever is handling the CG in this show.

But see, outside of the recap I don't feel like it moved all that slow. However I'll confess I really didn't feel like the first season was all that tedious to begin with either.

Edit: Just to clarify. As someone who read the manga, I don't feel like the adaptation moved all that much slower than the manga does. That first set of arcs from S1 moves slow anyway. So my feeling is that the anime just really replicates it much the same way the manga presented it in a very slow build fashion. It's part of the reason, I think, that there's always so much talk about how the Sports Festival is where people really get sucked in. Hence why I also think we had a five minute recap, in order to make this a kind of second jumping on point for people.

If you had no problems with the first season, then you probably won't have any problems with the second season. It seems to be basically more of the same. I will say, though, that there was a full recap episode for My Hero Academia aired last week, so if they needed a second jumping on point for people they already had one.

If you had no problems with the first season, then you probably won't have any problems with the second season. It seems to be basically more of the same. I will say, though, that there was a full recap episode for My Hero Academia aired last week, so if they needed a second jumping on point for people they already had one.

That's true. I do think it seems odd to have that both the recap episode and five minutes devoted to resetting the series up again.

Just finished the Idolm@ster TV anime.

I think it was quite the uneven experience with several great episodes like EP8 or 20 and Haruka's arc at the end was a nice way to wrap everything with again some great concert animations.
But at the same there were many just plain bad episodes like Hibike's which took me like 2 hours to finish it, such an episode at the beginning of the show and I would have just plain dropped it.

Maybe I'm a little biased because LoveLive was my gateway drug into the entire Idol business thing but I prefered the (melo)drama of LL with the steady progression over the more episodic approach of the Idolmaster anime. Doesn't help that I thought that many of the song inserts were kind of lazy inlcuded and were pretty subpar and forgettable - the NHK anime music ranking is justified in my eyes.
Although the hights like Chihaya's arc are far above anything in the LL franchise.

But the most important part of the post.

Code:
Best Girl Ranking

1. Chihaya
2. Yayoi 
3. Takane
4. Makoto
5. Haruka
6. Ami and Mami 
8. Kotori
9. Yukiho 
10. Ritsuko  
11. Azusa
12. Miki
13. Hibiki 
14. Iori

It was also nice to see a girls focused series where men are still allowed to exist.

Syrinx

One Punch Man 1

I'm probably the one person who didn't watch this back when it originally aired.

I like how OPM's reaction to the whole "so much stronger than everyone else that it becomes boring and redundant" is apathy rather than obsession with finding someone or something worthy.

blurr

Iron Blooded Orphans S2 25

Sweet Iok Kujan cries.

Ironic how it was all smooth sailing after they lost and died. Weird that there was nothing about McGillis' fiancé.

Still very interesting how things have folded out and concluded. There was a lot of Tekkadan glorification even in the face of blatant misguidance and certain defeat. It more or less diverted focus from what it was building up to imbue false hope and ending up in betrayal. Although its effect is subjective.

Tamako Market 09

Sweet little episode. Anko is extremely shy considering how self-conscious and perceptive she is as opposed to Tamako yet Tamako turns out to help her when she needed it the most.

The last bit where Mochizo is surprised that Tamako remembered his birthday was great.

My Hero Academia 14

Recaps are in some ways something I'd expect but god damn was it excessive. Why.

It appears that the meat of this arc begins in the next episode going by the preview.

One Punch Man 1

I'm probably the one person who didn't watch this back when it originally aired.

I like how OPM's reaction to the whole "so much stronger than everyone else that it becomes boring and redundant" is apathy rather than obsession with finding someone or something worthy.

Naturallly, since he is a hero out of occupation/obligation than for sport.

One Punch Man 1

You're in for a treat at the end of the season.

Clov

Just finished the Idolm@ster TV anime.

I think it was quite the uneven experience with several great episodes like EP8 or 20 and Haruka's arc at the end was a nice way to wrap everything with again some great concert animations.
But at the same there were many just plain bad episodes like Hibike's which took me like 2 hours to finish it, such an episode at the beginning of the show and I would have just plain dropped it.

Maybe I'm a little biased because LoveLive was my gateway drug into the entire Idol business thing but I prefered the (melo)drama of LL with the steady progression over the more episodic approach of the Idolmaster anime. Doesn't help that I thought that many of the song inserts were kind of lazy inlcuded and were pretty subpar and forgettable - the NHK anime music ranking is justified in my eyes.
Although the hights like Chihaya's arc are far above anything in the LL franchise.

But the most important part of the post.

Code:
Best Girl Ranking

1. Makoto
2. Yayoi 
3. Takane
4. Chihaya
5. Haruka
6. Ami and Mami 
8. Kotori
9. Yukiho 
10. Ritsuko  
11. Azusa
12. Miki
13. Hibiki 
14. Iori

It was also nice to see a girls focused series where men are still allowed to exist.

Idolmaster was probably the first idol anime I watched, but I remember thinking it was a lot of fun. I didn't mind the episodic approach at all; I appreciated how it let each character get thier own time in the spotlight. I can agree with you about the insert songs though; I can remember the opening theme clearly, but none of the insert songs. I really need to rewatch my favorite episodes from this sometime.

Now you should go watch Puchimas for something really silly.

There is still the movie left for me!

Also why was the bad Xenoglossia a real thing but not the various movie teasers?

ux6l6iz4msxcictk8cmro8hu0y.gif

MVP of the bonus episode.

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 25
Mika and Akihiro know how to make a last stand. Orbital Dansleif bombardment was cool, and it justified Julietta and Iok managing to fight Mika and Akihiro. Akihiro technically had the more meaningful death taking out Iok the Brave. Guess his AT Field finally wore out. Mikazuki doesn't know when to quit, Julietta's role felt less like a final opponent and more putting down a mad dog. Good for PR at least. Nice timeskip, and as I thought Rustal ultimately cares about order more than anything else. Clearly the Seven Stars were no longer good for that. At least he was willing to overlook Kudelia's ties to Tekkadan and her hiring a bunch of them. Happy endings for everyone. Except Nobliss lol. Ride never forgets. At least Julietta and Gaelio are happy with each other. Mika's kid gets two moms. He looks like he'll grow up fine. Bittersweet ending, but with emphasis on the sweet.

My first Gundam, and what an experience. Excellent show from beginning to end. Of course there were some bumps along the way, some underused elements (Mobile Armor hunting game please), but overall it was very satisfactory with interesting themes and strong characters. Someday I'll have to watch more Gundams. For now though, it's time to lower our flags.

I was perusing through Anichart and went to look at the next seasons. So Sakurada Reset and Re:CREATORS are 2-cours uh. In a way if they turn out to be a good watch that's awesome, since the Summer so far looks very flat to me. I'm sure more stuff will get added since we literally just started the Spring season, but yeah. The news to me were those 2 shows being 2-cour.

duckroll

Hey guys isn't it funny how the final episode of Gundam could air today on multiple channels, but some how Tales of Zesteria is only ending at the end of April? Hurrrrr? XD

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 19

NG7j688.png

While I like that both Chibodee and Sai experienced trauma from their encounter with the Devil Gundam, I feel like doing another "fight a strong enemy to regain their confidence" plot right after the last episode was a mistake. Still, Argo vs Sai may have been one of the show's best fights.

I found it funny how the writers still had to contrive a way for Domon to get in with a Shining Finger, like there's a mandate from on high to have one an episode.

jonjonaug

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 19

NG7j688.png

While I like that both Chibodee and Sai experienced trauma from their encounter with the Devil Gundam, I feel like doing another "fight a strong enemy to regain their confidence" plot right after the last episode was a mistake. Still, Argo vs Sai may have been one of the show's best fights.

I found it funny how the writers still had to contrive a way for Domon to get in with a Shining Finger, like there's a mandate from on high to have one an episode.

There probably was, that's the exact sort of thing a production committee who wanted to sell figures would do.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Season2, Episode 25:

Honestly not having any strong feelings about this ending one way or another.
I mean yea the world got a lot better but most of the characters we had emotional investment in died there. Oh, also, even though you aren't explicitly stating it IBO, because apparently lesbian hook ups are were you draw the line but teenage pregnancies as just aces, Atra and Kudella got together to best fulfill Atra still quite frankly creepy harem dream there.

Hand Shakers Episode 10 – Kitten Kitchen
C8bBp_LXUAE0RL6.jpg:small
C8bB_axW0AAqobV.jpg:small

Hand Shakers continuing to stress the even once you lose you can still be friends and live a normal life idea good. Always when all the other characters appear and interact, especially in the restaurant scene but then at the live idol show in the mall, hand shakers just makes me feel good and happy.

Dead End Emporer moment was embrassaing, while the date stuff was charming. Ultimate form of love in card game stuff is just wanting to play a card game with someone, sweet.

C8a_bAeW0AI3NPP.jpg:small
C8bDKT7W0AAvRUd.jpg:small

I don't know that I'd agree Gundam IBO is the best Gundam ever, but this conclusion certainly makes a strong case for it.
The melancholic approach to the ending is perfect for what the show is going for and doesn't end too depressing to make the entire journey feel for nothing. It really managed to capture all the political/social intrigue Gundam can be known for, the brutality, etc. and add a lot ore emotional weight to events than I feel a lot of the mainline Gundams were able to (granted, comparing 70s-90s to something more modern.)

Also Alice & Zouroku Ep 1

I wanted to like this, and I do like Sana and Zouroku's dynamic, but god the CGI style, blending and mistakes
Such as when the car Zouroku is driving stops, but the outside animation keeps going.
make it really hard to stay focused and absorbed. Crossing my fingers the show improves a bit and focuses on said dynamic rather than the fantasy subplot, which so far seems quite a bit weaker.

It seems like reception of the second season has been overall better than reception of the first, which is something unheard of for Gundam/Sunrise anime.

ID-0, Taniguchi's new show at Sanzigen, is airing in that timeslot starting next week.

Season 2 worked really well at subverting expectations. It was the better season, though it really needed Season 1 to happen first to have the impact it did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom