• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Finished the last ~16 episodes of Monster Strike. Pretty great finish.
I wonder if anyone besides me and DTL even watched this, lol.
Now for the 50minute summer special and the movie and then I'm all set for season 2, I think.

Monster Strike
8fd2371f3386fc78468930b4e8be97921481338424_full.png
So, this is an anime based on a mobile game. It's the type that is set in the real world with original characters playing the game in question instead of adapting the game's own storyline (though I don't know if it even has one? I'm not familiar with the game at all).
It has 51 episodes with a length of 6-8 minutes (without the ED and preview). The endings are really good. The first 13 or so episodes are fully 2D, afterwards it starts using mostly a mix of CG and 2D close-ups of the monsters (which have pretty cool designs). The CG is pretty decent.

Now that we have the technical details out of the way:
The show is very shonen. It's primarily action driven and has a large cast of fun characters, with a rather light overarching plot. It also likes to use the 'enemies turn to friends after battle'-trope a lot.
In general it's just.... fun. The characters are fun, the action is nice, the soundtrack is great and while it can have it's serious moments, it never takes itself too seriously. The show knows is about a mobile game and just rolls with it and has fun.
Due to the short episodes it also never really drags, there's always something happening (be it a battle, hinting about the plot or just fun character interactions.)

tl;dr: It's good.You can watch it for free on YouTube.

Love Tyrant 1
It's a dumb comedy like I suspected. Still relatively fun

Berserk S2 1-2
OP wasn't done though it looks to hqve a fair bit of 2D animation. The actual show is pretty much all 3D CG like the last season with most of action heavy scenes having horrible frame rate. The second episode ended rather suddenly with Guts getting off Casca and then just switching to My Hero Academia. Otherwise, seems like Berserk though I haven't read the original

Narag

Now for the 50minute summer special and the movie and then I'm all set for season 2, I think.

Monster Strike

So, this is an anime based on a mobile game. It's the type that is set in the real world with original characters playing the game in question instead of adapting the game's own storyline (though I don't know if it even has one? I'm not familiar with the game at all).
It has 51 episodes with a length of 6-8 minutes (without the ED and preview). The endings are really good. The first 13 or so episodes are fully 2D, afterwards it starts using mostly a mix of CG and 2D close-ups of the monsters (which have pretty cool designs). The CG is pretty decent.

The show is very shonen. It's primarily action driven and has a large cast of fun characters, with a rather light overarching plot. It also likes to use the 'enemies turn to friends after battle'-trope a lot.
In general it's just.... fun. The characters are fun, the action is nice, the soundtrack is great and while it can have it's serious moments, it never takes itself too seriously. The show knows is about a mobile game and just rolls with it and has fun.
Due to the short episodes it also never really drags, there's always something happening (be it a battle, hinting about the plot or just fun character interactions.)

6-8 minute episodes? say no more.

forgot to post this yesterday

Rick and Morty S3E1

Return to form, hilarious and dark. Though seems like a tad bit of a retread where most episodes in s1 and 2 were completely new each time. Hopefully it was more due to trying to get over the S2 ending quickly and less of what's to come. Not to say it wasn't a great episode. W W W DOT RICK AND MORTY DOT COM FORWARD SLASH RICK AND MORTY ADVENTURES EVERY DAY 24 7 ALL DAY

After watching the first episode of MHA S2 again I have to wonder about the hallway scene with Ochako because the direction and beats are so different than the rest of the episode. Whereas everything else had the same stock standard layout or framing (minus some small moments like Ashido falling back in her chair or Biggy Quiet's nodding when the French dude is too close to him) the hallway scene drastically stands apart in it's direction, character movement and just general quality. It's so much better than the rest of the episode. Ochako's movements, from brushing her head to the very clever finger pointing to Iida's movements going above his head and the camera tracking it and coming back down when he lowers his arms...

It just seemed like someone else was in control of that scene.

I want that dude to be making this anime. If it's the same director or storyboarder or whoever is responsible, then...I wonder why that scene was so different.

Szadek

The Silver Guardian - Ep. 1
The anime made a scene were a dude fights against thousands of zombies boring.
I think that's all I need to say.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Season 2 (Subtitled) Episode 102

Yusei and Team 5D's could have actually lost this but somehow Jean decided to still attack? Why would anyone do that when he just had to ends his turn and force a win because Yusei couldnt draw? I think Team Unicorn is just plain bad since Yusei was able to deal over 15000 damage and beat three of them back to back to back, what an incredible come back win

Reading threads from 2010 when this episode aired is so intriguing, so much anger lol.

Monster Strike

The last time we hear White Ash in anime :(Knock On Doors In You) was my favorite of their songs in Monster Strike though all are good.

Glad someone else watched, the arc focused around Luc[y]fer was my favorite, though ending arc was so intense. Oraternative Dragon!

JulianImp

Youjo Senki - END
Was pretty nice. I like how the show has Tanya win every time without fail, but actually focuses on how her amazing deeds keep distancing her more and more from the comfy executive position she longs for, as well as paying more attention to the aftermath and set-up for each battle rather than combat itself, which makes sense since she's the MC and is destined to win anyway.

Tanya's When they Cry-tier faces were also quite a treat. Too bad the female character designs were so weird with their oddly exaggerated (but still uncolored) lips.

Gundam IBO - END
Loved Iok's death scene with how low-key the actual death was. A fitting end for one of the most insufferable characters I have seen as of late.

Still, things ended up going quite well after the conflict, with Mika being the perfect scapegoat to make Tekkadan into a non-issue in the eyes of Gallarhorn, and Rustal ending up as a reasonable new head of Gallarhorn as opposed to the deranged McGillis (his might makes right motto never really resonated with me). Post-timeskip Atra still sounding like a child was kinda weird, though.

Ascheroth

Alice & Zouroku #1

This seasons first "wasn't on my radar but nothing else to watch today so let's just check it out" watch.
Outside of ... atrocious CG car scenes I found this very intriguing. "Little girl with super powers escapes research facility and finds boy that helps her" is a pretty common premise, but the boy is a grandpa in this case and that automatically makes it more interesting. Their interactions were probably the highlights of the episode, followed by the really good and fairy-tale-ish soundtrack.
In any case, this has my attention, let's see where it goes.

Gundam IBO - END
Loved Iok's death scene with how low-key the actual death was. A fitting end for one of the most insufferable characters I have seen as of late.

Still, things ended up going quite well after the conflict, with Mika being the perfect scapegoat to make Tekkadan into a non-issue in the eyes of Gallarhorn, and Rustal ending up as a reasonable new head of Gallarhorn as opposed to the deranged McGillis (his might makes right motto never really resonated with me). Post-timeskip Atra still sounding like a child was kinda weird, though.

That bothered my wife too.

I really like though that for the 'world' everything turns out decent. Makes for a nice melancholic conclusion that isn't just purely dark and depressing.

Thud

Tiger Mask W25

A plottwist within a plottwist. Everything was Tigers.

Dragon Ball Super 84

Goku is a sore loser. 17 is a park ranger...

Hellraider

ΜΗΑ 14

Expected a lot worse when it comes to the episode's pacing from some of the comments here but in the end there was nothing wrong with it. It was absolutely competent for a first episode of a new season. Of course, expectations are quite different now that we have 25 episodes instead of a half-cour.

I don't know how far the manga was at the time, but not going full course for the first season was by far its biggest flaw.

Twin Star Exorcists Episode 48 – Unity - Solidarity

Rokuro should have started singing too.

Ending felt like a JRPG, everyone giving their all and leaving Rokuro with parting gifts as they made their sacrifices. Really awesome.

It seems like reception of the second season has been overall better than reception of the first, which is something unheard of for Gundam/Sunrise anime.

The best way I can describe it is IBO2 has one of the most cynical happy endings I've seen in fiction. It picks a tone at the start of the season and sticks to it, so I respect the writers for it. The ending is definitely divisive, but I think it works well.

KraytarJ

K-ON!! 23-24
That was about as rough as I expected it would be honestly. Starting with everyone coming back to school just to be together on their last day off in high school and then ending with their graduation, I wouldn't have expected as show as light and fluffy as S1 to be able to so naturally introduce emotion into S2 as it did but it went very well. Of course all of the sadness and longing goes into overdrive with Sawako seeing the appreciation of her students and then Azusa finally breaking down after coming to terms with her friends leaving her real soon. Then the new song the seniors sang to Azusa followed by the perfect use of that ED.

I know there's still a few extra bits left but S2 of K-ON is probably my second favourite KyoAni thing I've seen so far after S1 of Eupho but matching up all of K-ON and Eupho is a lot tougher than I thought it would be after S1. What an improvement S2 was.

Thud

Attack on Titan 26

Yeah, not feeling it. A bit too tryhard.

I'm enjoying it in a different way now. As a sadistic comedy it opens up new ways. I mean just look at how the abnormal walks and then acts. Or how the horses are animated.

The ending sounds like a mistake and opening sounds like a derivation of the previous ones. I'm not impressed, but maybe it will change with the next episode. Sasha is best girl.

Andrew J.

Kirakira Precure 09

Location, location, location. At least they have the freedom to make lots of experimental locations at low cost.

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 9

Location location location. I guess they don't need to get any business permits given how quickly they can move the shop. Are they a business out to make money, or is this all charity work?

Because its pacing is absurdly slow.
:p
You got me real good, congrats.

Gundam IBO - 50

Great finale. Probably the most visceral fight we have seen yet from this show came to fruition in this episode. The murderous intent behind Mikazuki this episode was insane, the way he danced through the troops and took each one of them down without hesitation was scary to watch. Had this been guy been in another shonen anime and he would totally fit in as a villain lol.
In a way, that's what he was in this show anyway.
The epilogue was great and gave me a sense of resolution that satisfied me. In the end,
these kid's lives weren't lost in vain and the world changed foor the better for everyone involved

Overall it was a pretty damn solid show, with a few hiccups on the way, which can be forgiven seeing the amount of episodes it had. In the end, the show still managed to deliver a tale that had meaning and purpose from beginning to end. It won't make me check out other Gundam shows, but it will make me look forward to the works of the folks involved in this show.

Fate/Zero 21-25 END

There were parts I liked. And then there was the rest of the show.

But I actually finished it so that puts it way above F/SN.

If MHA Season 2 is 25 episodes, does that mean we'll get to see......
All for One vs One for all? Cause that arc was epic

I prefer BONES going slow with all the cool extra character interaction then them going the Food wars route. Not that the pacing was a problem for me anyway.

So...

Attack on Titans 26

So the OP is awesome and the ED is full creepy but cool.

The start of the episode was nice and all, but then that ending happen and ugh. I think it's the sounds+the screams.

Szadek

Attack on Titan Season 2 - Ep. 1
Well, that certinaly was a good way to start a new season with a few really cool twist.
Although, it already fell in a few of the same traps as S1 as well, but it was still a very exciting episode.

Well that's a shame, it would have been a good ending point for the season.

AoT ending song is great, can't wait for the single to be released but the ED also spoils everything though XD

Gundam Wing 14

25MUMii.jpg

Someone actually non ironically spoke this line???????

Oh boy here we go again. I will never stop being astounded by everyone in this show not being able to think more then five seconds in advance. The show also might have the most eye-rollingly bad anti-war thoughts out of all the Gundam series and that is really, really saying something.

What was wrong with the rest of the show?

The Fate attachment. The character designs. The direction. The ending trying to perfectly tie FZ to FSN. A lot of the conversations are surprisingly boring despite what people are talking about. The ending moral dilemma for Kiritsugu is almost the same as the two boats from the end of the Dark Knight but since this is just a metaphor its less goofy, but it still falls into the same category as the ticking-time bomb dilemma where the amount of stars that would have to align in order for that situation to ever happen are so ludicrously high that it loses impact. Theres only so many hoops that you have to go through and goalposts to be moved until it becomes a farce. Tacking on "But what if THIS happened" until a scenario that questions morals occurs is never plausible. I saw what they were going for, but its just as hollow as the ticking-time bomb scenario.

But Rider and Waver were good together.

KiraKira Precure A la Mode 9

Admittingly I wasn't thinking they would transport the shop around the town, and SOMEHOW it doesn't bother people outside of being in the way, like a highway (why).

It's weird, I watched MahoGirls 34 last night, and both that and this episode featured wingmanship. Except Maho's was tragic because she got dumped, but Katsuki was MVP in that episode. She cried for them.

Anyway, If I'm correct, there was a bit of sloppy sound editing with the compiled transformation that I picked up, and fisticuffs mostly remain dead in the water. Ichika remained prevalent though.

Szadek

Kirakira☆Precure A La Mode - Ep. 9
Another cute episode.The cures did a good job at getting these 2 together.
I guess from now the will open the shop where ever it's needed the most.

Symphogear - Ep. 1-2
I'm not really feeling this one so far. I guess I will have to watch a few more episodes.

Syrinx

I watched the first 8 minutes of Symphogear ep.1 the other day.

I'm pretty much done with "dark" mahou shoujo so I bailed.

Holy fuck you are all terrible people. I wish Jao was here.

Printer Paper, its not.

Syrinx, it turns into a battle shonen in like 5 episodes.

Nintendoman, its a mecha/magical girl/super sentai/musical. I know you dont want to watch shows made for you but COME ON.

One of the characters songs starts with "Instead of my greeting, say hello to my gatling." ITS GOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom