• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kirakira Precure A La Mode 9

Somebody screencap Yukari when the preschoolers were swarming them.

C8deFfKUwAAS4KG.jpg

zulux21

for me im gonna be watching s2 hero academia and s2 attack on titan since I am caught up on the manga(this I believe is the first time I am watching something AFTER reading manga)
What other shows would be worth watching for an action adventure seeking guy like myself? That bahamut show seems like it might be worth checking out? maybe?

actually this makes watching attack on titan s2 way more interesting and makes me wonder if I can pick up on the subtle details like I could after rewatching s1

ideally Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho will have some nice action, but I haven't read the source material, I am just going off how it is tagged and the fact white fox is doing it.

There we go then. Old before new.

but they replaced the main character with

I mean maybe she will be okay...
but she won't be

I mean... she doesn't even have an afro :(

duckroll

There we go then. Old before new.

It's a new story with new characters, there's no requirement to watch anything "old" before "new" stuff. Canon is for suckers and obsessed fans who have their heads such up their ass.

Dude, no. Your blind optimism can only go so far.

Also no simucast companies picking up Tsugumomo is surprising.

Aniplex is really tight with Netflix these days right...? :)

The World YAMIZUKAN 01

WHO ELSE CAN'T GET ENOUGH BAD SHORT HORROR ANIME?

I like the art in this but its the same as Yamishibai where its just still images moving slightly, which is fine. The story here is "Area man gets NTR'd by aliens" and thats about it. These short shows have a real hard time telling an actual story.

duckroll

Not familiar with the series, but risque stuff in live action shows featuring adult casts tend to go over better than in anime series about middle schoolers.

Aniplex and Netflix are funding an exclusive Devilman anime series for 2018 directed by Yuasa which will be a faithful adaptation of the original manga.

What I find laughable is that you think Netflix is afraid of adult content, when they are specifically pushing hard for it to compete with pay networks like HBO. Regarding Devilman in particular, Yuasa said Netflix was a great partner because they don't have any restrictions to sex and violence that they need to worry about.

This is the same platform that is releasing Marvel branded TV shows which increasingly more sex and violence, that we don't even see in the theatrical films.

The World YAMIZUKAN 01

WHO ELSE CAN'T GET ENOUGH BAD SHORT HORROR ANIME?

I like the art in this but its the same as Yamishibai where its just still images moving slightly, which is fine. The story here is "Area man gets NTR'd by aliens" and thats about it. These short shows have a real hard time telling an actual story.

There are limits to what you can do in a couple minutes.

There are limits to what you can do in a couple minutes.

Yes, but in the earlier seasons of Yamishibai they could succeed and fail in fulfilling those limits, sometimes in back to back episodes. I generally like short-form horror stories, but they need to have some kind of impact. Having the two unnamed characters get abducted by aliens and put in tubes to be experimented on isn't impactful.

Aniplex and Netflix are funding an exclusive Devilman anime series for 2018 directed by Yuasa which will be a faithful adaptation of the original manga.

What I find laughable is that you think Netflix is afraid of adult content, when they are specifically pushing hard for it to compete with pay networks like HBO. Regarding Devilman in particular, Yuasa said Netflix was a great partner because they don't have any restrictions to sex and violence that they need to worry about.

This is the same platform that is releasing Marvel branded TV shows which increasingly more sex and violence, that we don't even see in the theatrical films.

As opposed to the adult content in Netflix shows, I think the child content in Tsugumomo is the problem here.

kewlmyc

No I understood where you were coming from. My main point is that in every series you mentioned that has "adult content", it features adult characters performing said actions

Tsugumomo features middle schoolers, pre-teens doing similar "adult content" (or at least the manga does, not sure how the anime will handle it). There's a huge difference between and adult performing said "adult content" and children doing it and I doubt that Netflix will be cool slapping their name on something on this.

It'd be like seeing "Netflix Original: Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya" on the front page. Pretty unexpected considering the content and the age of the characters doing said content.

duckroll

You didn't seem to know what the show was about, so I used an example from animegaf past is all.

But you said, and I quote:

"Also no simucast companies picking up Tsugumomo is surprising."

If it truly is disgusting pedo shit why would that be surprising?

kewlmyc

But you said, and I quote:

"Also no simucast companies picking up Tsugumomo is surprising."

If it truly is disgusting pedo shit why would that be surprising?

Because that hasn't stopped similar series from getting picked up before. With the streaming market the way it is nowadays, I figured a show getting skipped for simucast is pretty rare.

phaze

Sailor Moon - 1

So judging from my previous childhood memories watching bits of this show, I've always thought Mars was the best.

Judge me.

Oh, I'm judging you alright.

10th anniversary of Gurren Lagann went by and not even a mention from you. Sad !

kewlmyc

Then how's Netflix any different?

1. Netflix isn't strictly anime, so slapping their name on questionable content then putting it on their "Netflix Original and recommended" tab, which is the first thing you see when you log in, would lead people who normally don't keep up with anime to possibly try it out and probably get weirded out by it.

2. I don't think Netflix had been brand associated with anything similar to shows like this. I'm talking about actually purchasing the exclusive streaming right to it, which is why it wouldn't be showing up anywhere else so far. I admit, I'm not familiar with the entire "Netflix Original" anime output, but it's mostly Polygon Pictures stuff and action shows like Sinbad, Seven Deadly Sins, or kid orientated stuff like Precure and Little Witch Academia. It would be a big departure from their usual "Netflix Original" anime library. Crunchyroll picking it up wouldn't be odd considering they have a history with content like that, being a primarily anime streaming service.

Feels like we're going in circles at this point. Didn't think the point that I was trying to make, that Netflix picking up Tsugumomo would be odd, was that confusing.

Konosuba S2 10

The photography veered a bit into the garish at times, but thankfully it wasn't as bad as Hataraku Maou-sama's climax episode. This show did a much better job of escalation than that one, as it got a little more serious to build the intensity of the threat but not so serious that it lost touch with its strengths. The whole idea of taking a slime, the stereotypical first weak enemy of an RPG thanks primarily to Dragon Quest, and making it a super-powerful, super-deadly foe was a nice subversion. I enjoy seeing Kazuma's attempts to apply conventional game logic to this world get stymied. It shows a willingness to be creative with the expected tropes, while also containing a certain amount of affection for them. Some great animation throughout as well, especially when Aqua got serious. Overall, a show that surpassed my expectations.

Aqua got what she deserved, of course.

Jarmel

Banned
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/496/1496970/
http://manga.tokyo/news/announcemen...movie-eureka-seven-hi-evolution-in-fall-2017/

The new Eureka Seven films will be released in Fall 2017 simultaneously in Japan, North America, the UK, France, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and more. Funimation is the North American distributor. Confirmed at Anime Boston.
Can't wait to be enraged later this year!

Edit: Wait duckroll the second link makes it seem like the NA and other countries will have a separate release compared to the JP one. Does the JP link mention something different?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nier: Automata is not only anime, but it's at least 5 different anime all with satisfying endings.

duckroll

Can't wait to be enraged later this year!

Edit: Wait duckroll the second link makes it seem like the NA and other countries will have a separate release compared to the JP one. Does the JP link mention something different?

What? It's a worldwide release in Fall 2017 in as many regions as they can confirm. The countries listed are the ones they are sure of at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom