• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Deus Ex: The Fall for iOS [Up: $7 price, Video Footage]

Yanksfan

What a letdown.

I like the iOS as a platform, but that doesn't mean there are not huge differences between a game on iOS and a game on a console or a dedicated handheld. The experience is just not the same. I am surprised that some iOS gamers in this thread are struggling to understand that.

Jintor

I would hardly call Human Revolution an FPS. Although technically you have the option to play it as one, the most rewarding way to play it is to be stealthy and methodical with taking out enemies.

Therefore, I really don't see how a lack of buttons will significantly hamper the experience. The game seems to control very smoothly from the gameplay footage.

I've been playing the Metal Gear Solid HD collection on Vita and I've always thought MGS already barely plays as a fluid stealth game on the original consoles. From there, it's downgraded to a compromised experience on PSP/Vita - and that thing has buttons. I would hate to play something in the real-time 'sneak around, take down enemies' vein on a touchscreen that wasn't a top-down Frozen Synapse-style tactics sort of view. I'm always ready to be proven wrong, though... except I don't own an iOS device, unfortunately.

SmokyDave

So we laugh at the idea of Xbone costing 600$ but buying an iPhone for 649$ (the cheapest one) is totally ok?.
You might have laughed. I'm cool with the idea of a $600 console.

These kind of games never work well on a touch device though. I love iOS games that cater to a touchscreen, making a game that's built around a controller for precision put onto a touch device never works. Never has, never will.
I disagree. They're 'sub-optimal', but such is the nature of video games. As we're constantly reminded, the most powerful, versatile hardware isn't necessarily the best-selling or best supported.

I feel similar every time a game is announced for the 3DS. Why the fuck would you make a game for the 3DS when the Vita exists? Well, because market realities don't always align with my personal preferences, that's why.

Had an iPhone 5 since launch because I was interested in playing some of the games I had been missing out on: laid out about $50 on the market the first few months and quickly lost interest. Everything I played was either shallow or a port that played better on a system with buttons. The screen's just too small. I'll buy that the iPad might better facilitate excellent 'hardcore' games, but I ain't buying it on the iPhone. Not anymore.

Unless you would care to give me some recommendations I might have missed out on? I would genuinely love to be shown the error of my ways before I switch back to Android.
Hang around in the iOS threads and take a look for the occasional 'round up' threads that appear. The library is absolutely humongous.

phantomsnake

Neo Member
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one of my favourite games of this whole generation, but I could not be less interested in this iOS game.

ksamedi

Oh man, i love the franchise but iOS stuff is just limited as hell. The virtual buttons thing just never worked for me. Maybe I'll pick it up when it's cheap but I'm not paying anything more then 3 bucks for it.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
How is it f'ing possible that so many of you still hate on iOS? The amount of content the platform has seen in the last 12 months is insane, easily competing with, if not blowing out of the water, the other systems.

For what is considered by some to be the preeminent gaming message board on the internet, you guys aught to be ashamed of all this kneejerk hatred and bias.
I play plenty of iOS/Android stuff. Aside from excellent board game conversions or stuff that's available on other platforms, iOS is still mostly garbage outside of simple, disposable games. There's nothing irrational, kneejerk, or biased about iOS hatred.

This game in particular looks hamstrung by the touch controls, at least going by the video. Like the touch targeting system looks like a clunky hack and the basic movement seems as awkward as any other touch-controlled FPS. Why would you expect people to embrace this?

GameSeeker

I know many on GAF don't believe in iOS/Android gaming, but I find iOS to be one of the best gaming platforms out there.

iOS Advantages:
1) One of the more consumer friendly DRM schemes
2) Wide variety of price points
3) Huge selection of games
4) State of the art H/W that improves every year, with full backwards compatibility

Android has similar advantages and is also a fine choice.

I'm delighted that more major publishers are focusing on bringing high quality titles to iOS/Android.

I don't think they will stop making console games.

These are additional products that replace the concept of handheld spinoffs like we used to get.

Yeah, I know. But at some point those games can't be just derivative of other console games. I mean TWEWY 2 should be a new game, no 3DS game to port or grab assets...

I know there are games like Chaos Rings but they don't have the quality of TWEWY and deep of past handheld spin off.

dankir

why-god-why1_5480094_lrg.jpg

ryuzaki57

Banned
emo_facepalm_ikkitosen-e1359735016770.jpg

Open the floodgates! Tomb Raider iOS, Sleeping Dogs iOS, Hitman iOS, Thief iOS... Seriously, what are they thinking? The excitement level just went down dramatically.

I know many on GAF don't believe in iOS/Android gaming, but I find iOS to be one of the best gaming platforms out there.

iOS Advantages:
4) State of the art H/W that improves every year, with full backwards compatibility

I'm delighted that more major publishers are focusing on bringing high quality titles to iOS/Android.
The absolutely only thing stopping me from jumping on the mobile train is the controls. Everything else seems great, but I really, really need some sort of physical controller.

Heh, I really hoped to see a PC/Console sequel to Human Revolution, I guess we'll have to wait until the next-gen.

That said, from what I've seen the game looks good. Between this and Kotor next summer my iPad is going to be used a lot.

d00d3n

iOS Advantages:

iOS Disadvantages:

Universally shitty controls. Kind of an important issue in games ...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
My God, almost 2k dislikes for the trailer on YT, and 130 likes. The hell :lol

Phatmac

Great for Ipad owners I guess. Can't imagine playing a game like this on the go. It doesn't seem like a game that's designed to be played on a mobile platform. Hope there's going to be a new Deus Ex game for consoles. :/

ksamedi

You might have laughed. I'm cool with the idea of a $600 console.

I disagree. They're 'sub-optimal', but such is the nature of video games. As we're constantly reminded, the most powerful, versatile hardware isn't necessarily the best-selling or best supported.

I feel similar every time a game is announced for the 3DS. Why the fuck would you make a game for the 3DS when the Vita exists? Well, because market realities don't always align with my personal preferences, that's why.

Hang around in the iOS threads and take a look for the occasional 'round up' threads that appear. The library is absolutely humongous.

Humongous filled with crap. Couple of good touch games here and there but that's it. Don't act like its coming even close to console gaming standards, it just isn't. And this is coming from a big Apple fanboy.

Jintor

That really isn't true. and reeks of close-mindedness

If you could tell me about some really great real-time games with touch controls I'd like to check 'em out. I mainly play management games or turn-based stuff on my tablet... which is to say, I mainly play Kairosoft games

I don't fault them for wanting a piece of the mobile pie, but this seems like the most ass-backwards way to get it. If they made a Deus Ex game that used something like the Walking Dead adventure format it would feel less like a compromised console experience and be something genuinely new and interesting for the franchise.

faridmon

Crazy, ain't it. The idea of being a 'hardcore' gamer and yet not owning an iPhone (or not wanting to play games on an iOS device) baffles me.

Still, it does seem as though many, many people just can't get past the 'no buttons' bit. I can kinda understand that given that no amount of coercing has ever got me to play games on a mouse and keyboard.

Thanks. I didn't know I wasn't a ''Hardcore'' gamer. Now I know, since you were nice enough to point it out for us.

phantomsnake

Neo Member

iOS Advantages:

I have a game on the iOS App Store. I think it's a fantastic platform... for certain kinds of games. It's not the right platform for a Deus Ex game.

GameSeeker

The absolutely only thing stopping me from jumping on the mobile train is the controls. Everything else seems great, but I really, really need some sort of physical controller.

I understand the wish for physical buttons. Some games really do play much better with physical buttons and for those games, I suggest playing on a home console or Vita/3DS.

But, the touch screen is an excellent interface for quite a few gaming genres and the booming iOS/Android game marketplace reflects this.

It would be nice to see Apple/Samsung/etc. deliver tablets/phones in the future with touch screens and physical buttons/joystick.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Well that is disappointing, but not surprising really at this point considering SE's recent announcements on what they are doing in the future in regards to platforms, but I have no interest in playing a Deus Ex game with touch controls as nice as it might look. I know we're not supposed to port beg but I would have been there day 1 for this on a different portable device that just happens to have buttons and some analog sticks.

But anway, it looks like they have nailed the art style from DE:HR pretty well, mechanic wise it seems to all be there just on a smaller graphical level compared to consoles, which is what a lot of these phone makers have been saying would happen as the gap closes between current gen consoles and tablets/phones. Wonder if they are going to have some new music or just reuse HR stuff.

Jintor

Anyway, it's interesting they're selling this at $7. I assume it must be $7 for the first instalment though because otherwise they're probably just plainly suicidal. I wonder how the numbers will work out, if the loss (or decreased rev) on individual units will actually be offset by the sheer number of buyers all-in-all. Hey, at least they won't be able to blame bad sales (if that occurs) on used games...

Valnen

So glad I'm not a fan of this franchise or I'd be seething with rage right now. So much teasing for nothing.

munroe

Who would have come up with the idea of an iOS game? Square or Eidos? Is this because Square Enix said they wanted to expand more in mobile gaming?

ksamedi

That really isn't true. and reeks of close-mindedness
No. Everybody has preferences and for most games, virtual buttons just do not feel well. I hate the capacitive screen for gaming, I must have sensitive fingers or something but a couple of minutes of virtual control stick movement just aches my fingers.

SmokyDave

Humongous filled with crap. Couple of good touch games here and there but that's it. Don't act like its coming even close to console gaming standards, it just isn't. And this is coming from a big Apple fanboy.
Eh, I'm not going to try and convince you to like stuff you don't like.

I agree it doesn't measure up to the 360 / PS3 library though.

I understand the wish for physical buttons. Some games really do play much better with physical buttons and for those games, I suggest playing on a home console or Vita/3DS.

But, the touch screen is an excellent interface for quite a few gaming genres and the booming iOS/Android game marketplace reflects this.

It would be nice to see Apple/Samsung/etc. deliver tablets/phones in the future with touch screens and physical buttons/joystick.
That's exactly my point. It's not touch per se, touch has many interesting applications and possibilities, there's a lot of good stuff that can be done with it, new ways to play and whatnot.

A virtual joystick isn't one of them.

Top Bottom