• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Deus Ex: The Fall for iOS [Up: $7 price, Video Footage]

Mlatador

Banned
This is only the beginning guys. This is where a good amount of the industry is going this gen.

And the question is gonna be: who's following them? Not me! And I also encurage everyone else to NOT support that shit. If you want your sequels of games you like in PROPER form, then vote with your wallet and don't even buy it at low prices. Let Square Enix know it that way.

So I feel there's an important note here:

So it sounds like they're making a series of shorter games at a more reasonable price point with high production values.

Is clearly loking at the video that there's quite a few assets from the console game. What will happen when there's no console/handheld game to port/grab assets to keep it cheap?

SmokyDave

Sounds like it's episodic based on the OP quote. So it's more like $7 for the first episode.
Ah, I took that to mean there were more Deus Ex iOS games coming, but I reckon you're right, it's probably episodic.

I'm in for the first episode then, and I'll see where it goes from there.

Randdalf

... why is this only on iOS? Have they dumbed it down or something to such a degree that it wouldn't be worth playing on other platforms, because it looks just like the original game.

Sounds like it's episodic based on the OP quote. So it's more like $7 for the first episode.

Ahhhh...well that makes more sense considering they're putting a hell of a lot more effort into this. $7 would be incredibly cheap. But they should also price a full package rather than just per episode.

Vorundor

The game actually looks quite good. But I do not understand the logistics of making this iOS exclusive. You take a franchise that's built its fan base primarily on PC, along with consoles. You spend time and money replicating that gameplay formula pretty accurately for a smaller, side-story mission. And you release it exclusively on iOS?

It makes perfect sense to stick a touch screen controlled game like this on iOS for a few bucks. By why not release digital versions on PC and console to? I simply do not understand the business there. Not restricting to one platform, but expanding to many in order to maximise revenue across an assortment of platforms.

This! I don't think I would be bothered with an iOS version if it wasn't the only version available. I have bought iOS games but I don't play them much at all. Not because they aren't good but I really don't want to play them on my iPad with awkward controls. A PC/Console release like Blood Dragon along side this iOS version would've made more sense to me.

M3d10n

The game actually looks quite good. But I do not understand the logistics of making this iOS exclusive. You take a franchise that's built its fan base primarily on PC, along with consoles. You spend time and money replicating that gameplay formula pretty accurately for a smaller, side-story mission. And you release it exclusively on iOS?

It makes perfect sense to stick a touch screen controlled game like this on iOS for a few bucks. By why not release digital versions on PC and console to? I simply do not understand the business there. Not restricting to one platform, but expanding to many in order to maximise revenue across an assortment of platforms.

Because what's mindblowing on a tablet/phone for $7 might turn out to be merely so-so or even mediocre on a platform like the PC or even XBLA, where it can be put in comparison with products without the same restrictions. It could create consumer confusion when a new full-budget Deus Ex is announced.

Now it makes sense, because $7 for the whole game sounded too strange considering how SE likes to price their iOS games.

... why is this only on iOS? Have they dumbed it down or something to such a degree that it wouldn't be worth playing on other platforms, because it looks just like the original game.

They could port it to Android in a few months like most other SE titles...if you mean that.

Why would you do this to us? Do you hate us? Did we do something wrong?

I checked the Youtube trailer and they have disabled the dislike button lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
FFvXIII to be iOS exclusive. Please be excited!

In all seriousness, I don't think these kind of game work well on mobile platforms but that's just me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is clearly loking at the video that there's quite a few assets from the console game. What will happen when there's no console/handheld game to port/grab assets to keep it cheap?

I don't think they will stop making console games.

These are additional products that replace the concept of handheld spinoffs like we used to get.

SmokyDave

That's just the nature of platform exclusives. Why can't I play everything on my Vita? Well, because life ain't fair, that's why.

I'm baffled as to why this is exclusive to iOS. It looks like the exact same engine as HR; it seems like there would be no technical hurdle to just release it as an expansion to consoles/PC. Why intentionally limit the market?

Xater

I think it looks pretty good. Will probably play it , but I am just as confused as EatChildren. Why not also put this out as a small downloadable title on XBLA/PSN?

Icebolts

Neo Member
Not was I was expecting (as everybody I think)

They should mention when they tease for mobile, it would avoid excessive hype and deception :)

But well, wait & see, it might not be that bad

LevelNth

Banned
How is it f'ing possible that so many of you still hate on iOS? The amount of content the platform has seen in the last 12 months is insane, easily competing with, if not blowing out of the water, the other systems.

For what is considered by some to be the preeminent gaming message board on the internet, you guys aught to be ashamed of all this kneejerk hatred and bias.

Sylfurd

Youtube grabs:

1xSSm3Z.jpg

6iecnEh.jpg

Or how to make a cheap game, and sell it like a revolutionary experience.

It's completly useless, it's the kind of games to play on your 50" TV in your comfy couch, not in the bus on a 9" tablet ...

Jintor

Is the mobile market that lucrative that a game that appears to have the same gameplay systems and only somewhat reduced art assets as a mainline DX game can be released exclusively for mobiles and not as part of a concentrated XBLA/Steam/Tablet minor game thing? Is porting to those systems that crazy? Is there a content gap I'm not seeing yet? I guess we'll wait and see, but I can't help but be pessimistic.

I'm impressed by the engine running on that thing, but... jesus. I'm trying to come up with a genre more unsuited to the tablets but all I have is Quake-style rocket duels.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Boo! I was hoping for a sequel on next gen consoles, but this fills me with confidence that they will continue the series on next gen consoles or at the very still have an interest in Deus Ex.

Whompa

The funniest part about this, is that Deus Ex: Human Defiance was their april fools joke, and I would have gladly paid for that and not this rubbish.

LegatoB

You don't have to greatly accept something to put some effort into replying to a thread though. If there is unhappiness about something, it should be more directed. If this is a stupid Deus Ex minigame for iOS where you play endless hacking minigames to compete on leaderboards, then it doesn't really deserve much effort or attention. But if it's an actual Deus Ex game simply for a platform some people don't like, there is no reason to be so childish about it.
I apologize if it sounds too close to port-begging, but I think I'm allowed to be disappointed that instead of a full new PC/console experience in a PC game series I love, I'm getting a technically competent game on a platform which I don't own and which is extremely poorly suited to first-person action games. I have no one but myself to blame for expecting anything else from Square-Enix Eidos, even if it is the Eidos side this time, but that doesn't make it sting any less. Touch screen controls are not a suitable substitute.

MarkusRJR

Looks interesting, but touch controls for anything beyond basic puzzle games are nearly always horrible. Will there be controller support? I wouldn't mind hooking my tablet up and using a DS3 with it.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone actually even like Square Enix the company any more?
They can go to hell. Many of their mobile games would've been great on handhelds and most likely would have paid off in the long run. Yet they keep neglecting them for quick cash ins for an audience with a minute long attention span. Seriously go to hell SE.

Top Bottom