• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Deus Ex: The Fall for iOS [Up: $7 price, Video Footage]

Pooya

looks like a proper game to me, I hope it doesn't cost 20-30 bucks, if not I'll get it. Kotor and this, my iPad gonna get some use this Summer. More interesting is that looks the same team as HR actually made this, should be interesting.

Portugeezer

PLEASE BE EXCITED FOR E3

k-bigpic.png

qko

It's not that making a game for iOS is bad, it's that Square does not seem to grasp that the average price of good games does not go past $4-$5. Putting out games like this for $20 is not going to really matter when consumers would rather spend a dollar on a game that is not going to suck the battery life on their phone down to 10 minutes.

tci

So how many of the people making one word/one line replies here bothered to watch the video and read about the preview first? Are you guys going to keep going "hahahahaha" at every major iOS announcement as the industry invests more and more into smart devices? Seems like a matter of time before all the people laughing are instead crying when you realize the industry has left you behind. :)
Did you really expect anything else from a game series that started on PC and was adapted to consoles, to be greatly accepted as a iOS game?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
looks like a proper game to me, I hope it doesn't cost 20-30 bucks, if not I'll get it. Kotor and this, my iPad gonna get some use this Summer. More interesting is that looks the same team as HR actually made this, should be interesting.

It's $7.

They hyped up something that was just going to disappoint half the fanbase. I don't think i even have something that will be able to play it. I really hate this sort of game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So how many of the people making one word/one line replies here bothered to watch the video and read about the preview first? Are you guys going to keep going "hahahahaha" at every major iOS announcement as the industry invests more and more into smart devices? Seems like a matter of time before all the people laughing are instead crying when you realize the industry has left you behind. :)

wanted to post something like this but this post sums my thoughts better than I could. Looking forward to playing it on my iPhone.

Game looks good and a close experience to the console game. But those controls....ughhhh.

I already feel that way.

Well, to be fair, I didn't see a video in the original post (seems something's changed in the thread, can't place my finger on it :p)

It looks good for the platform (I like the DX:HR aesthetic). I'm not sold on the controls yet - I'll have to try it out on this iTouch I have.

stuminus3

Banned
It doesn't matter. I watched the trailer and it genuinely looks great, but I sure as hell don't want to play something like this on an iPad. This is a square peg/round hole situation. I'll be willing to eat my own hat if this strategy of putting these kinds of games on tablets actually works out. Or at least this tasty maple flavoured doughnut.

derExperte

So how many of the people making one word/one line replies here bothered to watch the video and read about the preview first?

Looks like it plays like every third person action game on a touch device. Slow, cumbersome and totally unappealing. Even if I had something that could run this I would not bother.

wrowa

It's not that making a game for iOS is bad, it's that Square does not seem to grasp that the average price of good games does not go past $4-$5. Putting out games like this for $20 is not going to really matter when consumers would rather spend a dollar on a game that is not going to suck the battery life on their phone down to 10 minutes.

Well, someone has to start trying to build up an audience for premium priced games. I don't see anything wrong with that, the iOS market could potentially be very profitable.

However, I agree with the battery problem. It's the number 1 reason I pretty much stopped playing games on my iPhone.

if it ends up being solid, hooray. I'm all for well developed titles on mobile platforms rather than simple money grabs on existing ip.

Epcott

Looks really good in the trailer for an iOS game. I hope it makes its way to Vita since I don't have an iPod and I doubt they'll release a version for iPhone 5 due to screen size.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I feel there's an important note here:

Deus Ex: The Fall will retail for £4.99 / $6.99, and this "first instalment of the mobile series" will be available in the summer.

So it sounds like they're making a series of shorter games at a more reasonable price point with high production values.

Given that Square Enix has said they're trying this with many games, this reminds me of another statement:

7594c99e4616208b6e1adabcec36e756.jpg

When this came out, people went "one week sounds kind of short", but if it's part of a series, that might make a ton of sense.

That said, the video in the OP suggests they're actually making a pretty great effort with this, so I'm interested to see how their mobile experiments turn out.

vareon

The game actually looks quite good. But I do not understand the logistics of making this iOS exclusive. You take a franchise that's built its fan base primarily on PC, along with consoles. You spend time and money replicating that gameplay formula pretty accurately for a smaller, side-story mission. And you release it exclusively on iOS?

It makes perfect sense to stick a touch screen controlled game like this on iOS for a few bucks. By why not release digital versions on PC and console to? I simply do not understand the business there. Not restricting to one platform, but expanding to many in order to maximise revenue across an assortment of platforms.

What I'm thinking, too. It should be running perfectly on PC now that all it needs is a few fancy shaders and button configuration. I wonder what decision made it exclusive.

Alrus

It doesn't look bad but the animation looked pretty shitty at times, so did the close-ups. I've yet the see an iOS fps that doesn't feel clunky to play but who knows.

Outside of that I understand pursuing the lucrative mobile market but why an exclusive? This look like it could totally be released as a digital game on various platforms... I doubt most iOS users care about exclusivity.

duckroll

Did you really expect anything else from a game series that started on PC and was adapted to consoles, to be greatly accepted as a iOS game?

You don't have to greatly accept something to put some effort into replying to a thread though. If there is unhappiness about something, it should be more directed. If this is a stupid Deus Ex minigame for iOS where you play endless hacking minigames to compete on leaderboards, then it doesn't really deserve much effort or attention. But if it's an actual Deus Ex game simply for a platform some people don't like, there is no reason to be so childish about it.

Top Bottom