• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Final Fantasy XV "greatest contributor", fastest-selling FF (6 million)

Final Fantasy II (Japan) was a lot of things, but that leveling system was anything but forgettable. Now if you said FFIII, then you might have a case. Even then I vividly remember trying to beat the last dungeon without saving.

Excuse me but FF3 gave us the Job system, aka the My Dick Can Only Get So Hard system

LordKasual

Banned
AthleticAssuredBonobo-size_restricted.gif

Tabata won

thread is lit baby

you guys stole all the good gifs :(

KEEP THE SALT COMING BABY

AINT NO STOPPING THIS TRAIN WE ON

_Nemo

I mean half or more of those sales were probably from Versus fans (myself included) who got played thinking they were getting the story Nomura promised only to find out shit that was revealed as late as 1 year before release wasn't even included in the final game. XV just tricked fans and rode on the fame of Versus, selling it as a game which it no longer was.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I really think FFXV is the worse FF among the main series so while I'm happy for the series to stay successfull with it I'm quite concerned about its future in regards to quality.

brad-t

Not the game that I wanted, but happy to see the future for this franchise (in terms of whether there would continue to be AAA mainline titles at all) is a lot less uncertain. Kudos to the devs.

Celine

I assume in this financial reports "global sales" means actually sold-through and not only shipped as in the report from 5 months ago where it was shipped + digital, but I'm not sure. Does anybody know how SE uses the term? Some publishers use "sold" for "shipped"/"sold-in".
Every time the same question and every time the answer is shipped unless specified otherwise (with sources like NPD, GFK, Media Create).

ViciousDS

Banned
give me a pre-quel and fix the magic/summons

I platinum'ed the game without ever using magic because it was such a hassle to bother with.

Great game though, still one of my favorite FF's of all time.

I mean half or more of those sales were probably from Versus fans (myself included) who got played thinking they were getting the story Nomura promised only to find out shit that was revealed as late as 1 year before release wasn't even included in the final game. XV just tricked fans and rode on the fame of Versus, selling it as a game which it no longer was.

Oh wow, thanks Versus fans!

I really think FFXV is the worse FF in the main entry so while I'm happy for the series to stay successfull with it I'm quite concerned about its future in regards to quality.

If you really think 15 is the worst of the main entries than you haven't played some of the original 1-5 because some of those games are real fucking stinkers.

theofficefan99

This.

I really think FFXV is the worse FF among the main series so while I'm happy for the series to stay successfull with it I'm quite concerned about its future in regards to quality.

Trying to get shake off the poison that was ff13 saga and 14 vanilla isn't easy.

Gurish

People were saying that because it was $35 in less than a month. I'd still classify that as a bomb because it tells you that the game was massively overshipped.

You'd classify it as a bomb even though SE is telling you that the game is the main driving force that led to one of their best years financially?

Even though it's the fastest FF ever?

Like seriously, you can hate the game but just stop denying its success, it's really pathetic at this point.

A lot Versus fans enjoyed FFXV though (myself included). I'd say around half or more.

Lmao I'm totally sure.

LordKasual

Banned
Considering they are planning more DLC than Gladio/Ignis/Prompto Episodes, i wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a definitive edition this year.

Also, congrats to SE. Can we Kingsglaive The Game now?

This would be an interesting endevor.

Start the game following Young Regis and his battle-filled roadtrip with the homies

and end the game with timeskip Sean Bean

Though it would kinda suck since the climax would be you as an old man getting dragged by an enemy you can barely fight back against

ZeoVGM

Banned

God, this stuff is so embarrassing.

Stop making excuses because a game you didn't enjoy ended up being very successful.

theofficefan99

Are people forgetting that this is the only mainline title to ship worldwide simultaneously...? That's why it's the fastest selling.

Anyways, even though FFXV is the most disappointing game I have ever played and I don't think the dev team deserves praise, I'm glad SE is happy with the sales because this means that perhaps higher-ups will treat the franchise with more respect from here on out.

EGOMON

Well deserved.
This was my first FF game and I fell in love with it, I have been playing it since it came out and only today I decided it is time to shelf it I kept finding new stuff to do in the game after I finished it. My last quest was to catch every type of Fish in the game lol
I mean I loved the game so much I wanted to spend more time with it.

Thanks SE for the amazing game

_Nemo

Stop making excuses because a game you didn't enjoy ended up being very successful.

I don't care if a game I don't like is successful, what do I have to lose from that? I'm only pointing out the game SE played on its fans where they marketed so many aspects of Versus only to remove them from the final game.

HeelPower

SE spared no expense with the game. Happy they got rewarded for it.

This game me completely reconsider how to approach games/entertainment in general.It was sort of a wake up call for me to grow up and look for fulfilling/deep experiences elsewhere.

I don't care if a game I don't like is successful, what do I have to lose from that? I'm only pointing out the game SE played on its fans where they marketed so many aspects of Versus only to remove them from the final game.

Exactly what of Versus was marketed? What of Versus even existed? I can recall a picture of Noctis on a chair, one scene of him riding in a limo, and some proof of concept footage of the basic combat system which remained essentially unchanged.

Are people forgetting that this is the only mainline title to ship worldwide simultaneously...? That's why it's the fastest selling.

Anyways, even though FFXV is the most disappointing game I have ever played and I don't think the dev team deserves praise, I'm glad SE is happy with the sales because this means that perhaps higher-ups will treat the franchise with more respect from here on out.

What do you guys think about Stella's exclusion and Cindy clothes?

pablito

While I think the game did not live up to its potential, I'm glad it's selling well. I still want the full scope FFXV story, and if this encourages the team to knock out that whole DLC list, I'll be back for it.

theofficefan99

A lot Versus fans enjoyed FFXV though (myself included). I'd say around half or more.

I "enjoyed" it too in the sense that combat was mostly fun minus the atrocious camera/inability to cancel animations/automated combos, but the experience of the main story was laughable. It's fetch quests, a couple "set piece" ugly janky boss fights, a train ride, a copy/paste shove-lore-in-your-face dungeon for a couple hours, and then it's the end. Shortest main story in the series by far, extremely uneventful, horribly paced, awfully written, shallow, stitched together. When the main story is this poor I have no interest in going back and completing the fetch quests or the annoying post-game dungeons.

At the very least, SE is well aware of how unsatisfying the main story is.

LordKasual

Banned
Holy crap, an ffxv thread that isn't all salt? I'm proud of us gaf, I knew we could do it!

oh no, there's plenty of salt

it just aint stickin

cuz there aint no stoppin this train we on

Because of hype and fanboys, the best Hitman ever gets kicked to the curb, and a middling Final Fantasy sells.

The gaming industry just shot itself in the foot again.

oh it is fuckin DELICIOUS keep it commin baby

Reset

Nice, FFXV is my second favorite FF game. So I'm glad that it's doing well, I hope they continue to stick with the action rpg combat for the mainline games. Seems like people have spoken. :]

Arkeband

Banned
Crisis Core is the only one I would consider great. FFXV is his second best attempt but everything else is border line garbage IMO.

I want to see a serious discussion of Type-0's combat versus FFXV's because I've been having thoughts that Type-0's is actually better designed, which is a pretty heavy indictment of FFXV.

Lothars

That sucks. Terrible game, bad MMOesque quest design. Could learn something from [good] open world games and I know it won't. And then there's the story... I'd take a linear game with a story over what we got.
Considering it's a great game, yeah it's deserved.

Disagree, The Versus fans were not half of the sales. Final Fantasy fans in general. I also disagree that it's not the game it was. Nobody really had any clue what Versus was and still don't.

Guys... Come on...

I'm confused.

Did they ship zero units in the last five three months?

They are just confirming that it is the fastest selling game in the franchise. Doesn't mean it didn't sell anything in three months. From what I hear and see it's still has quite the legs. Selling more over a long period of time compared to the last few SP entries. :)

Let's not do this, Perfo.

Just wanted to tease perfo a bit.

Heh.

Great games ? Like what.

Crisis core is the most decent.

Once I heard Tabata was the new director of XV, I knew it was in trouble. Tabata isn't afraid to cut (or ignore) important artistic elements from his games in order to meet deadlines. At this point in XV's troubled development he was a necessary evil, otherwise it would have been delayed to oblivion. I'm sure he's a favorite of the Square Enix suits. Once you hear he's directing something you can bet there will be a devastating impact on the story, presentation, and combat mechanics, all in favor of rushing the game out the door faster than should have ever been considered.

It's not totally his fault. Square Enix needs to stop announcing games 10 years before they're ready (I know this game started as Versus, but it was obviously not anywhere near ready when it was announced... and now we have VII and KHIII announced way too early as well... they never learn). Nomura is an issue too, he's a visionary and a great artist, but his games take way too long to develop. So there are multiple issues in the current leadership.

I thought World of Final Fantasy, on the other hand, was a step in the right direction. Put that team on some more games stat.

Mcdohl

Congratulations SE!

I'm not in the omg this game sux boat, but also not on the 10/10 boat.

It was a rough trip, and accomplishing 6M considering that, is by all means an accomplishment.

However, SE, don't get cocky or arrogant please. Learn from your mistakes too. The XV had a lot of foundation (side stuff, room for lore, world, chp9 onwards, etc) that could've been fleshed out a lot more.

It's understandable given the incredibly troubled development of the game, but I'm not sure it will be acceptable if it becomes the norm. I want to think, it won't.

Wagram

I mean on one hand i'm happy that there will be more Final Fantasy titles...

then again there's the possibility they could end up like XV. and my positivity is gone.

theofficefan99

Exactly what of Versus was marketed? What of Versus even existed? I can recall a picture of Noctis on a chair, one scene of him riding in a limo, and some proof of concept footage of the basic combat system which remained essentially unchanged.

I think the more accurate version of that complaint is that pretty much nothing that was marketed before March 31, 2016 was in the game.

gatti-man

I didn't enjoy 15 but I'm still glad it's a success. The only thing I'm afraid of is they try and release another car adventure type FF bc 15 sold well and I really really didn't like the way this game handled travel or story. The combat was bueno though for sure.

RedAssedApe

Banned
guess it makes sense why they still have that smaller team working on updates. i bought the game at launch (albeit at a discount) but have yet to play beyond the combat tutorial lol

Once I heard Tabata was the new director of XV, I knew it was in trouble. Tabata isn't afraid to cut (or ignore) important artistic elements from his games in order to meet deadlines. At this point in XV's troubled development he was a necessary evil, otherwise it would have been delayed to oblivion. I'm sure he's a favorite of the Square Enix suits. Once you hear he's directing something you can bet there will be a devastating impact on the story, presentation, and combat mechanics, all in favor of rushing the game out the door faster than should have ever been considered.

It's not totally his fault. Square Enix needs to stop announcing games 10 years before they're ready (I know this game started as Versus, but it was obviously not anywhere near ready when it was announced... and now we have VII and KHIII announced way too early as well... they never learn). Nomura is an issue too, he's a visionary and a great artist, but his games take way too long to develop. So there are multiple issues in the current leadership.

I thought World of Final Fantasy, on the other hand, was a step in the right direction. Put that team on some more games stat.
Tabata is secretly a business suit, dude has no artistic flair.
Nomura needs someone to stop him at times and be like "it's ok we couldn't do this, let's proceed". Dude focuses to much on minor details.

Kojima is sort of like Nomura but he's more realistic about things.

Top Bottom