• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix Registers FinalFantasyXIII-3.com... [2 Year Schedule Note]

Beth Cyra

Amir0x said:
i mean i prefer no whoring, but whatever the case and even if one LIKED FFXIII, one must admit it'd be nicer if they mixed the cycle up then just staying in FFXIII because it's just the most easily accessible HD asset game for them.

I hope Square isn't just trying to intentionally run all its properties into the ground though. DQ and FF have been real sloppy on the surface of it, but maybe these games will be genuine attempts to evolve the formula and they'll be great. Here's hoping... the time travel thing has my ear perked for FFXIII distantly at least.
Well I don't think even the most hardcore XIII lover would want XIII-3 over something new like a XV, even less so we we haven't tried XIII-2 yet.

BlazingDarkness said:
Sadly I've got to a point where I'm passed caring about what SE does anymore

If they release a game that peaks my interest, then great, I'll buy it, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Outside of that however, I no longer anticipate anything with their name on it, nor do I follow anything they've involved in with any excitement like I did in the past

They've completely lost their prestige this generation
Quoting my post from bottom of the last page. Anyone feel the same?

RaijinFY

Doesnt this give us an idea of when the next gen consoles will start then? Meaning 2014?

EDIT:

Personally, I would be for a trilogy but not with that FF... :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
RaijinFY said:
Doesnt this give us an idea of when the next gen consoles will start then? Meaning 2014?
There's nothing stopping FFXIII-3 from being a next generation or cross generational title.

Beth Cyra

BlazingDarkness said:
I completely disagree.

SE as a whole has put out some amazing content this generation.

XIII and XIV had sever issues, but no more so when it comes to spliting the fan base then XI and XII before them.

As for the rest of their content it's been good to great. Some stand out titles on both DS and PSP and Type-0 is looking brilliant, KH 3DS will hopefully folllow the trend set by BBS as well as XIII-2 looking far better then XIII in alot of areas.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Level Down

Square Enix: Faith -100

Nirolak said:
There's nothing stopping FFXIII-3 from being a next generation or cross generational title.
SE hasn't figured out this gen. It won't figure out the next. FFXIII-3, really?

Seda

BlazingDarkness said:

SE gave us The Last Remnant, which is my favorite JRPG this gen. BBS is also (perhaps) the best KH game to date, so they are still on my radar.

strem

Nirolak said:
Generally you only register a domain when you're at least thinking about using it.

Please don't speak for other people. This is really annoying.
Sir yes sir /salute

BlazingDarkness said:
Nope.

I mean they are far from the glory days, but thier games are still on average better then most. At least the ones I chose to play. Less FF games would be nice though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nirolak said:
Generally you only register a domain when you're at least thinking about using it.
Thinking about this some more, the timing of this registration is rather interesting.

1.) They just re-registered Versus XIII.
2.) They're about to finish development on FFXIII-2, which means they should already be planning their next game.

strem said:
Sir yes sir /salute
I didn't mean to single you out, but I've been noticing this lately and wanted to put a stop to it in general, since I get accused of like... wanting to buy so many random things just for updating news threads. :lol

mdSW9.gif

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Nirolak said:

If this series leaks over to the next generation... I don't know. SE should be looking at the next generation of consoles as a clean slate.

Also, its funny, I remember some person from SE talking about brand fatigue regarding Final Fantasy and yet they pull this sort of cash-in. A sequel to such a weak entry to the series is already suspect, making it a trilogy is just a sign of being creatively bankrupt.

jimmypython

info for 13-2 domain name registration appeared 5 days before the announcement

so.......they will announce 13-3 next week at TGS??
for 3DS or Vita?

Beth Cyra

michaeltraps said:
Hell, if XIII-2 is good (I'm intrigued from what I've seen/read so far), then keep em' coming.

Nomura just needs more time!
Given he has nothing to do with this one but some of the faces I could easily see him have nothing to do at all with a XIII-3.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Amir0x said:
i mean i prefer no whoring, but whatever the case and even if one LIKED FFXIII, one must admit it'd be nicer if they mixed the cycle up then just staying in FFXIII because it's just the most easily accessible HD asset game for them.

I hope Square isn't just trying to intentionally run all its properties into the ground though. DQ and FF have been real sloppy on the surface of it, but maybe these games will be genuine attempts to evolve the formula and they'll be great. Here's hoping... the time travel thing has my ear perked for FFXIII distantly at least.

I just think SE don't want to move on because they are dreaming that in next gen there will be a PS2 like system for their main FF series were it's FF land again so they are keeping 15 for that dream savoir , hope they realize that the decline wasn't because of the systems.

BlazingDarkness said:

Not in the least.
They've taken a number of risks and followed through with a number of decisions that have been head scratching, but I don't think for a minute that they have lost their ability. That "touch" that used to define Square games? Maybe, but then I play games like The Last Remnant or Dissidia or DQIX and all in all...

7XYGC.jpg

Hell, I'm logged into FFXIV as we speak.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BlueTsunami said:
If this series leaks over to the next generation... I don't know. SE should be looking at the next generation of consoles as a clean slate.

Also, its funny, I remember some person from SE talking about brand fatigue regarding Final Fantasy and yet they pull this sort of cash-in. A sequel to such a weak entry to the series is already suspect, making it a trilogy is just a sign of being creatively bankrupt.
I don't think it's so much creative bankruptcy as a sign that they think they lack enough time, especially with their current skillset/tools.

They need to take FF to handhelds where they're not completely drowning in massive development cycles for years on end and creating new engines to try and keep up with the pace of evolving hardware etc
Personally I'd be happy to have something that delivers visuals akin to FFXII/FFXIII for the foreseeable future if it meant actually getting new games with more content on a more regular basis instead of waiting 5 years for a visual marvel that has no substance

Also, I can't say this enough, fire Watanabe for creating that terrible script in FFXIII

Riposte

TruePrime said:
XII would have met similar resistance just with another group of people.

Not to mention it was just not as XII but expansions on the world.

XII's world had a sequel in Revenant Wings and in some ways the FFTA games.

Totobeni said:
I just think SE don't want to move on because they are dreaming that in next gen there will be a PS2 like system for their main FF series were it's FF land again so they are keeping 15 for that dream savoir , hope they realize that the decline wasn't because of the systems.
The same SE that's all about multiplatform engines these days? Yeah this post dosent make much sense.

Beth Cyra

Riposte said:
XII's world had a sequel in Revenant Wings and in some ways the FFTA games.
Well that is what I meant by world expansions.

I didn't want to say sequel per se because I think alot of people saying Seqeul to XII are wanting game play not just the world.

BlazingDarkness said:
They need to take FF to handhelds where they're not completely drowning in massive development cycles for years on end and creating new engines to try and keep up with the pace of evolving hardware etc
Personally I'd be happy to have something that delivers visuals akin to FFXII/FFXIII for the foreseeable future if it meant actually getting new games with more content on a more regular basis instead of waiting 5 years for a visual marvel that has no substance

Also, I can't say this enough, fire Watanabe for creating that terrible script in FFXIII
Agito XIII took longer then XIII and will barely beat XIII-2 out the gate so just putting them on Handheld isn't going to sovle that problem.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It'll be interesting if XIII-3 will be online.

I'm not mad about this. If it means they retread on the same combat system a third time, i will be disappointed though. Not having to rebuild everything means they can take more risks theoretically within that shorter dev cycle. Lets hold off judgement.

Coxy

RPGCrazied said:
That would suck if XIII-2 ends in a cliffhanger with the words....

...To be continued in XIII-3

VQP7y.jpg

What a joke of a company, they cant move forward with the series, nor move back to styles that were popular, they're lost, dazed and confused.

PokéKong

The facts..... XIII and VS XIII were announced at the same time, under the Fabula Nova Crystallis moniker, and known to be linked in some mysterious way. If the two take place in the same world, they clearly are in vastly different eras in time.
XIII-2 involves time travel.
I think all things considered, it's highly likely XII-2 acts as a transition/link between the two games, and this caused them to consider just renaming VS as XIII-3. I don't take this registration as a confirmation of a name change, only that they are considering it.

And I'm completely ruling out XII-3 being an actual new game. To me that's just way too redonkadonk.

Beth Cyra

Coxy said:
VQP7y.jpg

What a joke of a company, they cant move forward with the series, nor move back to styles that were popular, they're lost, dazed and confused.
XIII in story and characters are like many of the popular games you speak of they just didn't pull it off this time is all.

Instro

It dont see what the big deal would be. If FFXIII-2 turns out to be really good, then making a trilogy isn't so bad.

TruePrime said:
Well I don't think even the most hardcore XIII lover would want XIII-3 over something new like a XV, even less so we we haven't tried XIII-2 yet.

Depends on the team doing it, but yes I would rather have a XV by the same team than XIII-3 unless XIII-2 is godlike (and even then I might rather have XV).

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
If it's a handheld RPG, I'd buy it.
But I really want a Final Fantasy VII remake. **cries**

Top Bottom