• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix Registers FinalFantasyXIII-3.com... [2 Year Schedule Note]

Kyoufu

Wada is incompetent because instead of doing an FFXIII trilogy he could have Toriyama's team return the favour that Nomura did them by helping code and finish Versus XIII, which in turn would free up Nomura to do KH3, another money maker.

But nope. Wada is too thickheaded to do the right thing so we get an FFXIII trilogy before Versus and no console KH entry this generation.

Fire the man already, jesus.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kyoufu said:
Wada is incompetent because instead of doing an FFXIII trilogy he could have Toriyama's team return the favour that Nomura did them by helping code and finish Versus XIII, which in turn would free up Nomura to do KH3, another money maker.

But nope. Wada is too thickheaded to do the right thing so we get an FFXIII trilogy before Versus and no console KH entry this generation.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they just intend to have Osaka make Kingdom Hearts 3 after they finished Kingdom Hearts 3D.

Kyoufu

Nirolak said:
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they just intend to have Osaka make Kingdom Hearts 3 after they finished Kingdom Hearts 3D.

I would be shocked, given that mainline KH is what Nomura sees himself doing long-term in the company rather than mainline FF games.

JudgeN

TomcatTheLion said:
FFVII (1997)
FFVIII (1999)
FFIX (2000)
FFX (2001)

Not at all.

Its not the 90's anymore games have become more advance and everything takes more time to make.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Different teams. It shouldn't effect quality like you may think it does.

"shouldn't" but you never know.

Looking at Witcher 2 which take 3 1/2 years to make it just seems like quality massively drops when RPGs go on a 2 year cycle. Personally I think 3 years give seems to be perfect.

Example: Dragon age 2

ReaperXL7

Seriously what the hell happend to them?

First they screw up XIII, then they do another -2 version that does not look that much better (we will see obviously), they drop the ball like no one else could with XIV, they announce that not only will Dragon Quest X be online only, but will also be subscription based, and now this crap.

It's like Square-Enix just completely forgot why people cared about their games, I'm about ready to just give up on them entirely, their lucky they picked up Edios and their actually making some good games.

Kyoufu said:

Wada is there to milk S-E. He's gonna milk FF13 until the cow dies. Versus-13 is not a multi-plat game and it's just a one-off title.

jackdoe

Nirolak said:
Multiplatform on the 3DS and Vita obviously with the same Sora and Riku model from KH2 that has been in use for many years.

Cheska

Can I just wake up tomorrow morning and find out this is a joke? FFXIII-2 I am highly anticipating, but making yet another entry is just bullshit and probably means we won't be getting any resolution in the sequel :(

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Milk that Crystal tools, Square. :lol smh.

Maybe it's a defensive domain grab?

Cheska said:
Can I just wake up tomorrow morning and find out this is a joke? FFXIII-2 I am highly anticipating, but making yet another entry is just bullshit and probably means we won't be getting any resolution in the sequel :(

Ubisoft did it with AC2.

jackdoe

Cheska said:
Haha. We already got a resolution in FFXIII. And it seemed pretty definite all things considered. Nearly everyone got what they wanted and the most annoying character in the game was fridged. Seemed like closure for these specific characters.

Riposte

Would people feel differently if they liked FFXIII? From my perspective FFXIII was much better than I was used to getting from FF, so it really doesn't matter to me how they want to add numbers to the title. Then again, I still don't believe there will be a XIII-3.

Riposte

Kyoufu said:
I don't know what you mean.

FFXIII kept me entertained for longer(and earlier) than most other FFs.

EDIT: Hmm, make that any FF besides XI, which is cheating because of its MMOness. I guess XIV would fall in line here too, but I've been really rationing my play and it has been filled with more lows than highs.

Akainu

Anyone got something I can wash these down with?

IgrB9.jpg

jackdoe

Riposte said:
FFXIII kept me entertained for longer(and earlier) than most other FFs.
Haha. Even though I ended up disliking the game overall, I have to agree with you on that "earlier" part. The beginning of the game is tightly focused and wastes no time at all in terms of plot beats. The problem is that the rest of the game was like this so you're pretty much stuck running from corridor to corridor for the next cutscene. In essence, it felt like a prolonged tutorial segment since everything you did was pretty much controlled by the developer: where you went, what you fought, and what general level you were.

Cheska

Meisadragon said:
Milk that Crystal tools, Square. :lol smh.

Maybe it's a defensive domain grab?

Ubisoft did it with AC2.

But I actually feel like there was more to tell after AC2. Maybe not 5 games worth of console AC releases (including the inevitable AC3 next year). Same goes for Mass Effect. I just don't see why a Final Fantasy title needs 3 releases to conclude a story, we've already invested 50+ hours to one game alone.

Kyoufu

Cheska said:
But I actually feel like there was more to tell after AC2. Maybe not 5 games worth of console AC releases (including the inevitable AC3 next year). Same goes for Mass Effect. I just don't see why a Final Fantasy title needs 3 releases to conclude a story, we've already invested 50+ hours to one game alone.

50 hours of garbage "Moms are tough" filler in the first game. I pray they'll leave out the cheese in XIII-2 at least.

Riposte

jackdoe said:
Haha. Even though I ended up disliking the game overall, I have to agree with you on that "earlier" part. The beginning of the game is tightly focused and wastes no time at all in terms of plot beats. The problem is that the rest of the game was like this so you're pretty much stuck running from corridor to corridor for the next cutscene. In essence, it felt like a prolonged tutorial segment since everything you did was pretty much controlled by the developer: where you went, what you fought, and what general level you were.

The developer having a lot of control also means they can put forth more balanced content. I'd gladly accept them rearranging furniture if the main point, combat, is better for it. That kind of control is common in other types of games and it is why other types of games are mechanically tighter than JRPGs(especially by the end of them, where I can't think of any exceptions). It needn't be in the form of tight corridors and railroading, but controlling how powerful the player is and getting rid of overpowered stuff(e.g. Quickenings) goes a long way. There were times where it felt there was too much tutorial, but then they'd sometimes balance it out with cool enemy types or Eidolon battles(not to mention the battle system simply made more trashy battles a little more fun by itself).

MechaX

Kyoufu said:

For me, this has been a curious part of the Versus XIII puzzle. Is Nomura's team just that small, is he forced to work on other stuff constantly, or is it a combination of both?

jackdoe

Riposte said:
The developer having a lot of control also means they can put forth more balanced content. I'd gladly accept them rearranging furniture if the main point, combat, is better for it. That kind of control is common in other types of games and it is why other types of games are mechanically tighter than JRPGs(especially by the end of them, where I can't think of any exceptions). It needn't be in the form of tight corridors and railroading, but controlling how powerful the player is and getting rid of overpowered stuff(e.g. Quickenings) goes a long way. There were times where it felt there was too much tutorial, but then they'd sometimes balance it out with cool enemy types or Eidolon battles(not to mention the battle system simply made more trashy battles a little more fun by itself).
That's the thing though. Combat can only carry a game so far. I actually had no major problems with the combat in FFXIII outside of the control one character, he dies, game over stuff and enjoyed it for the most part. Unfortunately, the story was by far its weakest point and past the intro, it really, really caused the game to drag on. The narrow corridors certainly didn't help as they funneled you towards the next mediocre plot advancement.

Teknoman

Count me in the "just registering because" camp. Unless they end up showing off XIII-3 previews at TGS lol.

Honestly, I dont see anything wrong with XIII-2, but it should've been done only after Versus XIII was finished.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Kagari said:
http://whois.domaintools.com/finalfantasyxiii-3.com

No words...

Edit Note:

As a side note, Square Enix has a mandate of finishing mainline Final Fantasy games every two years, so they might not actually have time to make a Final Fantasy XV, and thus want to use FFXIII and FFXIII-2 as a base for the next game.

Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1125216p1.html#ixzz11PfkBl00

I think I actually understand them, the situation is very different from the past and investing in a new AAA title every two year trashing all the previous work like in the past isn't bearable anymore. They're trying the same Bioware or Ubisoft did (ME, AC), to make a trilogy out of a universe and same characters; so, the same way we got Mass Effect 1,2,3 clearly based on the same universe and characters, we will get FFXIII 1-2-3 following the same concept. And then, moving on into the next generation: FFXV 1-2-3. I can't complain though, I'm sure releasing a totally new AAA title every two year it's something the industry, the japanese industry and Square Enix... can't afford anymore. Also, they need to make the brand more recognizable, and sequels can help mantaining a certain audience interested for 6 yrs. I hope this strategy turns out to be good both for players and devs, it was a necessary step at this time. Bioware is the way: small trilogies. Probably S-E is planning a second IP to alternate that to FF too (like DA for Bioware). The same thing happened to most of the companies with the general costs of development rising in this generation (think of BUNGIE for ms, UBISOFT, ACTIVISION, goodness the same Naughty Dogs kept working on the same IP all the time).

It's a pretty interesting move from a company else doomed and I bet they'll be satisfied with 2,5-3 million sales per title instead of 5-6 million for a single one in 6 yrs dev.

Luigi87 said:
And now what I imagine the Squenix office is like.. in English.

"We just made a CRAPLOAD of cash off Deus Ex. What should we do?"
"Final Fantasy XIII-3?"
"Fund it."

Haha, this is exactly what happened.

Now I don't mind FF13, I pre-paid for 13-2 already, but isn't this ridiculous?

Where's VERSUS 13?
Where's FIXED FF14?
Where's PS3 FF14?
Where's FF15 pre-production art?

Narcosis

StoppedInTracks said:
Where's VERSUS 13?
Where's FIXED FF14?
Where's PS3 FF14?

1. I'm betting at this rate on PS4/Xbox 3 bound
2. *snickers*
3. LOL (amusing that Sony's big E3 reveal from S-E seems likely to get The Last remnant treatement)
4. 2016

duckroll

StoppedInTracks said:

Well... I guess that depends. If Toriyama wants to work on 3 FFXIII games, and there's an audience for that, more power to him.

Where's VERSUS 13?

Ask Tetsuya Nomura.

Where's FIXED FF14?
Where's PS3 FF14?

Ask Naoki Yoshida.

Ask Noel.

Rpgmonkey

StoppedInTracks said:

Where's VERSUS 13?
Where's FIXED FF14?
Where's PS3 FF14?

There's no official confirmation of XIII-3 and I don't think it's existence would cause production of any of those games to come to a halt or something anyway, outside of maybe XV. I've gotten the impression that the way XIV turned out has messed up SE more than XIII and its sequel(s) have or would.

And has Nomura said something at some point to make people think Versus would be a 2011 game if XIII-2 never existed?

Top Bottom