• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix Registers FinalFantasyXIII-3.com... [2 Year Schedule Note]

I thought the demo of XIII-2 played really well and seemed to correct a lot of the issues I had with XIII. Assuming it lives up to that promise, I look forward to XIII-3.

Rpgmonkey

WrikaWrek said:
I don't understand, why this universe, why these characters? The demand isn't there.

While I didn't really like the characters, I liked the universe a lot and would like to see more of it.

I'm not sure if I want two sequels more, but I did want more nonetheless.

MechaX said:
I think most of the people here went with "Domain Squatting" as their first answer.

... But then they realize that SE has been pretty loopy this generation.

XIII-2 gets registered in a similar fashion, game ends up actually being real sometime later.

And Square kinda would be out of their mind to milk XIII before the sequel is even completed. If by chance XIII-2 goes into bomba status worldwide, how silly would they end up if they invested some amount of development into a hypothetical XIII-3?

I highly doubt they would even start on XIII-3 before getting sales results for XIII-2. It's not like they have any more teams to work on it.

Cathcart

They probably don't want to release XV on consoles before XIV is out and that's going to be like another year probably so we need to get XIII Part 4C-2 first.

MechaX

cosmicblizzard said:
I highly doubt they would even start on XIII-3 before getting sales results for XIII-2. It's not like they have any more teams to work on it.

Probably. Or do they...

*Looks at Eidos Montreal*

For a more depressing answer:
They'll move the Versus XIII team over to work on XIII-3.

Dissonance said:
Who says it has to be a publisher?

Some people trademark titles just so they can sell them later and make a profit.

I always saw SE being very happy about threatening on lawsuits at that matter.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They kind of hinted at this back when they first hinted at FFXIII-2 in March 2010.

Write About Games Article From March 2010 said:
Sequel

While building teams is now in the hands of the player, the responsibility of building the unique worlds of Pulse and Cocoon rested firmly on the shoulders of the Final Fantasy creators. Even after playing a mere five hours, it feels to me that there is much more to this universe than this story. It seems obvious to continue adventures on these two worlds in a direct sequel. So, will there be a Final Fantasy XIII-2? The men laugh and begin to answer very diplomatically: “That depends on how well the game sells in the West!” But after pressing a bit, Kitase concedes he would very much like to do a direct sequel. “In the past three years we worked both on the world and on the various systems. Creating these systems isn’t very glamourous and can frankly be a bit boring. If we could do a XIII-2, we could direct all our attention to the story and refine what we have already built.”

This is an advantage which will not exist for the team that might create Final fantasy XV (XIV is already announced as an MMO). Every numbered Final Fantasy game stands on its own, and is created starting with a blank slate. Still, elements carry over to become canon, like chocobo, crystals, and archetypcal spells. What elements of FFXIII would Kitase like to carry over into future Final Fantasies?

We do not know if there will be a XV. This depends a lot on the success of XIII. Also, it is difficult to pinpoint elements that are typical Final Fantasy. They are mostly invisible: part of the DNA of the game, that everyone recognizes as typical Final Fantasy. But *if* there is a XV, I hope the way we wrote our characters carries over. We strived to create believable people of flesh and blood. They are not robots. And they are not super heroes. I hope this humanity is something we will see again.”
Source: http://games.schrijversblok.nl/?p=261

But *if* there is a XV, I hope the way we wrote our characters carries over. We strived to create believable people of flesh and blood. They are not robots. And they are not super heroes. I hope this humanity is something we will see again.”

jgbSQ.jpg

But *if* there is a XV, I hope the way we wrote our characters carries over. We strived to create believable people of flesh and blood. They are not robots. And they are not super heroes. I hope this humanity is something we will see again.”

itswrong100.gif

VertPin

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kaizer

Banned
LOL at Squenix: "Well guys due to our incompetence, it took us this long to just barely make some HD assets for FFXIII, we'll save the towns we couldn't finish for XIII-2."

Squenix Team Member: "What about starting work on FFXV, Wada-san? XIV is doing...............gooooood And we just sold gangbusters with Deus Ex, right guys? (Other employees hang their heads in disappointment)"

Wada: "Are you fucking retarded? Do you not realize how damn long it took us to just barely scrap together XIII and you wanna go and restart from the beginning? Hahahaha! We're milking these damn XIII assets for all they're worth boys. You guys better pray to the gods Nomura doesn't fuck up Versus, or we're gonna be in deep shit."

strem

Is it odd that with all of this talk I am getting the itch to play 13 again? I beat it on 360 when it first came out. Picked it up on PS3 for $10

Toth

Either they see they are going to have a lot of material left over after x-2 is finished OR they are gearing xiii-2 to have a cliffhanger ending, setting up for a xiii-3.

Let's not forget they did plan a FFX-3 starting Rikku at one time.

This is probably them just covering their bases though.

Beth Cyra

Kaizer said:
LOL at Squenix: "Well guys due to our incompetence, it took us this long to just barely make some HD assets for FFXIII, we'll save the towns we couldn't finish for XIII-2."

Squenix Team Member: "What about starting work on FFXV, Wada-san? XIV is doing...............gooooood And we just sold gangbusters with Deus Ex, right guys? (Other employees hang their heads in disappointment)"

Wada: "Are you fucking retarded? Do you not realize how damn long it took us to just barely scrap together XIII and you wanna go and restart from the beginning? Hahahaha! We're milking these damn XIII assets for all they're worth boys. You guys better pray to the gods Nomura doesn't fuck up Versus, or we're gonna be in deep shit."
300k isn't anything to sneez at but it sure as hell isn't gang busters so unless Dues Ex did far better outside of NA then no, it didn't do Gangbusters.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As a side note, Square Enix has a mandate of finishing mainline Final Fantasy games every two years, so they might not actually have time to make a Final Fantasy XV, and thus want to use FFXIII and FFXIII-2 as a base for the next game.

IGN said:
Final Fantasy XIII Team Hints at Sequel

Elsewhere in the interview, Kitase revealed that the team that made Final Fantasy XIII is at work on their next project. According to Kitase, Square Enix has a policy of each team making a game at a pace of one title every two years, so the wait for this title will presumably not be too long.
Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1125216p1.html#ixzz11PfkBl00

LOCK

If 13-2 is good then I wouldn't mind an 13-3 and add Versus to that then we have our FF this generation. Hopefully Square would have a team working on XV for the WiiU/PS4 or whatever.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Its hard to believe on the PS1 we had the cast of 7, 8. PS2 had 10 and 12. Now we have to deal with a full generation of the shittacular cast of XIII.

BlueTsunami said:
Its hard to believe on the PS1 we had the cast of 7, 8. PS2 had 10 and 12. Now we have to deal with a full generation of the shittacular cast of XIII.
Why isn't 9 listed here when it's cast is more likable then any of these other games?

And I rather take XIII's cast then VIII or XII's people.

Kyoufu

BlueTsunami said:

You forgot IX. :(

Well, I loved XIII, and the information that has come out about XIII-2 (especially the time travel elements) sound really intriguing, so I would definitely be interested in a XIII-3. I want XV to be made eventually, but I wouldn't mind another XIII game by this team while a different team works on that game.

Amir0x

Banned
Nirolak said:
None of the others have HD assets ready.

man they could just re-use the FFIII graphics engine and up-res that shit for special 3DS, Vita, PS3 and 360 simultaneous release at this point and it'd be preferable to just being stuck in a FFXIII limbo cycle :(

BlueTsunami said:

How could you forget FF9 for PS1.
Will have to see how good FFXIII -2 is before i care about this.
If it does good i can see SE doing another one to save on money if i not i can see them moving to FFXV.

PerZona

WTF please no, just create another brand new FF with a brand new storyline. I want to try a new combat system not that shitty FFXIII's. -.-

Beth Cyra

Kyoufu said:
I know right? XII should have been whored out so hard. SO HARD.
XII would have met similar resistance just with another group of people.

Not to mention it was just not as XII but expansions on the world.

Kettch

Not sure how much I like a game every 2 years mandate. Taking too long is certainly a problem, but the bigger issue is that they're not completing the games even with all that time. XII was basically half a game and XIII needed to have more than 1 open area. If they don't fix whatever the issue is with that then it isn't going to matter.

Amir0x

Banned
Kyoufu said:
I know right? XII should have been whored out so hard. SO HARD.

i mean i prefer no whoring, but whatever the case and even if one LIKED FFXIII, one must admit it'd be nicer if they mixed the cycle up then just staying in FFXIII because it's just the most easily accessible HD asset game for them.

I hope Square isn't just trying to intentionally run all its properties into the ground though. DQ and FF have been real sloppy on the surface of it, but maybe these games will be genuine attempts to evolve the formula and they'll be great. Here's hoping... the time travel thing has my ear perked for FFXIII distantly at least.

Sadly I've got to a point where I'm passed caring about what SE does anymore

If they release a game that peaks my interest, then great, I'll buy it, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Outside of that however, I no longer anticipate anything with their name on it, nor do I follow anything they've involved in with any excitement like I did in the past

They've completely lost their prestige this generation

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Brazil said:
Dudes. They're just domains. They don't mean anything.
Generally you only register a domain when you're at least thinking about using it.

strem said:
Everyone in this thread, myself included, will buy whatever they shit out
Please don't speak for other people. This is really annoying.

Top Bottom