• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix TGS report

duckroll

The guy *could* be Takaya Kuroda, but that would mean he's trying to save the PS3 singlehandledly in Japan. Definitely not Keiji Fujiwara, although he would have fit the character fine. If it's Kuroda, that would explain why it's sounds so goddamn familiar to me. I hear a lot of similarities with Kiryuu, but the word pacing is different here. It's not quite the voice he used for Darcia either, but I definitely think the range is the same. The range is totally off for younger voice actors, unless the noise in the recording is distorting it more than expected.

-Kh-

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The production values in general was a big shift for the series. It really single handedly changed the way JRPG's are made.

FFVI was one of the best looking games from the SNES, with one of the best music scores, and certainly a huge gameplay experience.

I'm not aware of the production cost of this game, however I'm sure it wasn't cheap to produce such a game for SNES, same can be said for 4 and 5.

-Kh- said:
FFVI was one of the best looking games from the SNES, with one of the best music scores, and certainly a huge gameplay experience.

I'm not aware of the production cost of this game, however I'm sure it wasn't cheap to produce such a game for SNES, same can be said for 4 and 5.

I'm not saying it's going to be cheap. I'm just saying that Nomura is talking about more than just gameplay. There's still a lot we don't know about XIII, so there could be something in there that really does change the series.

duckroll

SolidSnakex said:
I'm not saying it's going to be cheap. I'm just saying that Nomura is talking about more than just gameplay. There's still a lot we don't know about XIII, so there could be something in there that really does change the series.

More than FFXII? Yeah, I'm not seeing that happening. :p

NeonZ

Am I the only one who can see that the SNES Final Fantasies looked really bad?

Small map sprites, poor tilesets (that only improved in FF6), enemies without animation, small battle sprites (for the playable characters), basic animations even for the characters that had them... FF6 had some fancy effects, but the basis of the whole thing still was really poor.

Compare the visual of those games to Breath of Fire, the Mana series, Chrono Trigger, even Dragon Quest VI... They seem really basic visually, and even FF6 was crippled by some of the staples of the series, in spite of the bigger map sprites, better background variation and more effects. Square tried to improve the 8-bit aesthetic with 16-bit resources, rather than making a visual designed for the SNES' strengths.

duckroll said:
More than FFXII? Yeah, I'm not seeing that happening. :p
To give Nomura the benefit of the doubt here, it's possible that he thinks that FF13 will change things up nearly as much as FFXII did, but in a manner that will provide more of a blueprint for the series going forward, which FFXII probably won't be, given its mixed reception. Here's hoping they can satisfy both the FFXII lovers and the haters.

duckroll

badcrumble said:
To give Nomura the benefit of the doubt here, it's possible that he thinks that FF13 will change things up nearly as much as FFXII did, but in a manner that will provide more of a blueprint for the series going forward, which FFXII probably won't be, given its mixed reception. Here's hoping they can satisfy both the FFXII lovers and the haters.

Now that I think about it, I think Nomura and Kitase said the same fucking thing about FFX when they were working on it. About how it would "make a jump similar to how FFVII jump from the FFVI" or something. How did that pan out? :lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
duckroll said:
Now that I think about it, I think Nomura and Kitase said the same fucking thing about FFX when they were working on it. About how it would "make a jump similar to how FFVII jump from the FFVI" or something. How did that pan out? :lol

*rofl*

Still, i like ffx and his battle-system :)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
NeonZ said:
Am I the only one who can see that the SNES Final Fantasies looked really bad?

Small map sprites, poor tilesets (that only improved in FF6), enemies without animation, small battle sprites (for the playable characters), basic animations even for the characters that had them... FF6 had some fancy effects, but the basis of the whole thing still was really poor.

Compare the visual of those games to Breath of Fire, the Mana series, Chrono Trigger, even Dragon Quest VI... They seem really basic visually, and even FF6 was crippled by some of the staples of the series, in spite of the bigger map sprites, better background variation and more effects. Square tried to improve the 8-bit aesthetic with 16-bit resources, rather than making a visual designed for the SNES' strengths.

Who are you again?
Of all the games you mentioned, only Chrono Trigger bests FFVI in graphics.

Johann

duckroll said:

Weren't some people able to get FFX's gameplay intact on an NES emulator with a decent Blitzball adaptation to boot?

Say what you will about FFXII (not one of favorites) but it really took advantage of the system for something other than just production values. You could practically pull off the gameplay for the other 3D games on an older system.

NeonZ

Regulus Tera said:
Who are you again?
Of all the games you mentioned, only Chrono Trigger bests FFVI in graphics.

Only if you're completely disregarding FF6's extremely poor animation. Sure, in still shots it looks better than the other games I've mentioned, but the NES level animation in many aspects of the game is inexcusable.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
NeonZ said:
Only if you're completely disregarding FF6's extremely poor animation. Sure, in still shots it looks better than the other games I've mentioned, but the NES level animation in many aspects of the game is laughable.

Dragon Quest VI had even less animation than Final Fantasy VI.

Breath of Fire and Secret of Mana may have had good animations for the enemy and character sprites, but the art style was so vanilla I have to give the advantage to FFVI. People always remember FFVII, in part, for straining from the medieval themes to a more post-apocalyptic environment, but what they always forget is that FFVI did it first by going the steampunk route. That alone made the sprites and backgrounds compelling.

-Kh-

Banned
badcrumble said:

Well I hope Ito and Maehiro get to work on another FF game, either one of the remaining FNC games or XIV or w/e.

I loved XII system and want to see it back again. But I don't know if Nomura, Toriyama and Tsuchida can work it out the same. So it is better for them to have their own work and do what they want. And if it is to improve on X's system, then more than welcome, because that system was great too.

But I don't really expect any big changes to the ATB system, Ito created the combat system, and he was the one that got to really change it with XII, so I don't expect anything different from anyone else but him.

However we still have Versus, which as we already know, it will be an ARPG, so a genre change, just like XI, is the only way a big change can come out of these projects, and that I'm looking forward to.

duckroll said:
So basically what they're saying is "it's a next-gen final fantasy, expect a leap in production values."

we already know the battle system is gonna be different to past games
i don't recall any of them having you chain commands together into one multi-attack sequence

BlazingDarkness said:
i don't recall any of them having you chain commands together into one multi-attack sequence
Yeah, basically what I'm imagining the game to play like is something like a hybrid of Xenosaga (multiple actions per turn, possibly the ability to save action points to roll over to the next turn), Chrono Trigger (for the way it treats enemy encounters), and FFX, with heavily stylized dynamic combat animation. According to that interview though they're going to treat enemy encounters pretty differently, so scratch the Chrono Trigger comparison.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
duckroll said:
And then hardware and time restraints limited them greatly. The game was supposed to have a huge explorable world map, a completely different battle system based on seamless encounters, etc. Huge changes that only appeared in FFXII (well, and FFXI, it you count it).
Although I don't remember them having said that.

Well, when it comes to what was promised for FFXIII so far, the "jump" does seems quite big: Massive explorable maps with minimal or even no loading times, filled with random enemy encounters whose size can get to be as big as colossuses. Menu-based battles flashy enough to make the game look like a movie visually, while still being more fast-paced than FFX-2, almost as seamless as FFXII, and as strategical as FFX, all that with the possibility of riding vehicles mid-battle. A completely retake of the RPG's formula, NPCs whose dialogue change depending on your political status, and a non-save-the-world story (already present in FFXII) that treats each party character as a protagonist.

But really, I'm sure FFXIII will not be that godly. But if it manages to be half as impressive as that, it'll already have potential to stand a lot from the other FFs when it comes to changes.

NeonZ

I'll drop this matter, but...

Dragon Quest VI had even less animation than Final Fantasy VI.

Sure, the characters lacked battle sprites due to the fake first person view for combat, and the game didn't have a "still" sprite for anyone in the map (but the map sprites still were bigger than the ones in FF4 and 5 anyway), but the enemies actually moved during an attack. They weren't just static pictures, unlike FF6's enemies (and the playable cast had mostly very simple animations too, often not even moving the entire sprite, so their visual presence in battle wasn't a big graphical advantage) and most even had their own map sprites too.

-Kh-

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:

FFXI begs to differ

Skillchain:

When two attacks with the correct Weapon Skill Attributes successfully connect with a target in succession, a powerful surge of energy is released. This surge is called a Skillchain (Japanese: Renkei).

A successful Skillchain deals extra damage to a monster, based on the monster's Resistance to the elements associated with the Skillchain. A Skillchain may also be be used to increase the potency of offensive magic by casting magic of the same elemental alignment to produce a Magic Burst.

skillchain229.jpg

Explanation

- Weapon Skill from player A opens the Skillchain (It didn't appear on the screenshot, that's why I didn't post it).

- Weapon Skill from player B closes the Skillchain: Khrno uses Ground Strike (a Great Sword weapon skill).

- Skillchain: Fragmentation; formed due to the properties of the 2 weapon skills used together, properties of this skillchain are Thunder and Wind, meaning that a BLM (or another casting job) would have been able to follow with a spell of those types to get a bonus on damage and magic accuracy.

Note: A skillchain wasn't only made by 2 people it could be done by 3, 4, etc, as far as the order and timig were the correct. That would create a sequence of skillchains everytime lowering the monster resistance to the following skillchain and in the same way incrementing the damage that a magic burst could produce.

suzu

Haha oops. Their style looks a bit similar to his other stuff.

I should've known they wouldn't just leave new info/material lying around. :(

Jijidasu

That sound clip is real, just to clarify.

I got a same muffled clip for reference when waiting to play Dissidia. The Closed Theatre is right next to the hallway with only a material wall so you could see through the cloth and stuff. This clip is far better than mine because I had a bunch of high school kids next to me screaming about Lightning's legs.

Awntawn

Going by the clip, I wouldn't be surprised if it is Maaya. The guy sounds less distinct, if I'd have to guess maybe Nakamura Yuuichi?

JCreasy

Regulus Tera said:
Beautiful song, atrocious level. He should have made Magitek armours.

I think that's the next step for these kinds of levels (there was an FFX one too)

I mean honestly, you could download that same level and add what you want. That's the beauty of LBP . . .

JCreasy

HEY!!

Somebody translate this for me NOW!!

竹谷 隆之

I need to know who's name that is!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
rlj67q.jpg

I thought that was official art!

Great talent, someone should hire him/her.

Top Bottom