• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix TGS report

duckroll

stuburns said:
I know they are including trailers, I said the 'latest' trailers. My point being, Kagari wanted to see the real-time Versus footage, and it might not be in the trailer we get in March.

Why? The latest Versus trailer has real time cutscene sequences. We won't be seeing in-game stuff though, but I'm sure the gameplay is far from ready to be shown publically in any way right now.

StuBurns

Banned
duckroll said:
Why? The latest Versus trailer has real time cutscene sequences. We won't be seeing in-game stuff though, but I'm sure the gameplay is far from ready to be shown publically in any way right now.
Why wouldn't they include the latest trailers? I don't know, why would they? They didn't last time they put out trailers for the games, the Cloud DVD has old versions of them both. The Sony booth had old versions of trailers at TGS. They seem resilient to show anything up to date to the public.

I hope they will include the newest ones, I was just saying they might not.

joesmokey

Both KE games do look pretty good. The music in the PSP trailer is great, that was put together really well.

Parasite Eve is really impressive.

duckroll

stuburns said:
Why wouldn't they include the latest trailers? I don't know, why would they? They didn't last time they put out trailers for the games, the Cloud DVD has old versions of them both. The Sony booth had old versions of trailers at TGS. They seem resilient to show anything up to date to the public.

I hope they will include the newest ones, I was just saying they might not.

The Could DVD never promised the latest trailer for FFXIII and FFVersusXIII. I warned people way before when it was all hyped out that it would probably not be new. It merely said that they would both be "Special Trailers" while for the other titles on the DVD they specifically listed where the trailers were from (mostly from S-E Party 2007).

Here it clearly says "High Definition versions of the latest trailer" for both Versus and Agito.

-Kh-

Banned
SE should make movies more often, at least short OVAs straight to DVD.

They well could milk many of their FF titles and franchises this way. Fans would be all over them.

Even a new Anime, base it on Ivalice, or on NFC, don't look back at Unlimited, just look around at Capcom and SF4. Get Production I.G or Studio 4C to do the dirty work, and
with a decent story,
succes is guaranteed.

duckroll

You're fucking disgusting. Your avatar is a fucking awful redesign, and you're encouraging S-E to touch Ivalice again. I don't like your kind. :(

StuBurns

Banned
duckroll said:
Here it clearly says "High Definition versions of the latest trailer" for both Versus and Agito.
I didn't know that sorry. I just knew they were including trailers.

Even that doesn't mean there will be real-time footage though. These trailers generally have things added, but they've also had material cut.

Does it say latest shown or just latest?

-Kh-

Banned
duckroll said:
You're fucking disgusting. Your avatar is a fucking awful redesign, and you're encouraging S-E to touch Ivalice again. I don't like your kind. :(

Want to like me less?

I would encourage SE to create a Vana'diel single player game so every mmo-hater can actually experience how good the stories from FFXI and all the exapansions are.

duckroll

stuburns said:
I didn't know that sorry. I just knew they were including trailers.

Even that doesn't mean there will be real-time footage though. These trailers generally have things added, but they've also had material cut.

Does it say latest shown or just latest?

I don't think you understand what "real-time footage" we might be talking about. The scene where Noctis meets Stella, as shown in both the DKS3713 trailer and the TGS one, is supposedly an in-engine cutscene. That's all. We're not talking about the actual gameplay footage that they showed off at DKS3713 which had Noctis doing teleports and running around the Olympus Colossium and the mountain trial. That's not a trailer, that was a special reward for fans that managed to attend that event.

I'll say that we'll definitely be seeing that scene in the trailer, in HD, but what I'm confused is why it's really a huge deal, since we've all seen direct feed HD screens from the scene already. :lol

-Kh- said:
Want to like me less?

I would encourage SE to create a Vana'diel single player game so every mmo-hater can actually experience how good the stories from FFXI and all the exapansions are.

That would be great. What isn't great is awful shitty kiddy art and shitting on Matsuno's grave. :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:

Someone's not a fan

StuBurns

Banned
duckroll said:
I don't think you understand what "real-time footage" we might be talking about. The scene where Noctis meets Stella, as shown in both the DKS3713 trailer and the TGS one, is supposedly an in-engine cutscene. That's all. We're not talking about the actual gameplay footage that they showed off at DKS3713 which had Noctis doing teleports and running around the Olympus Colossium and the mountain trial. That's not a trailer, that was a special reward for fans that managed to attend that event.

I'll say that we'll definitely be seeing that scene in the trailer, in HD, but what I'm confused is why it's really a huge deal, since we've all seen direct feed HD screens from the scene already. :lol
That 'meeting' is what I am talking about, that is real-time footage. It's what the engine will look like running real time on PS3 hardware. I hope we will see that scene in the ACC trailer. I don't think it is a big deal, I just thought Kagari did.

duckroll

stuburns said:
That 'meeting' is what I am talking about, that is real-time footage. It's what the engine will look like running real time on PS3 hardware. I hope we will see that scene in the ACC trailer. I don't think it is a big deal, I just thought Kagari did.

I think the biggest difference between ACC and the Cloud artbook is that S-E is publishing ACC. Dengeki published the Cloud artbook, so they only have whatever materials that S-E gives them. Whenever S-E promises the latest trailer (especially when they put them online for S-E Members) they always deliver. The notion that they're hiding trailers on purpose is a misconception, it's just something people tend to feel when they get hyped up based on false expectations and get disappointed over and over. :p

-Kh-

Banned
stuburns said:

Remember that character models from in-game cutscenes are allocated much more processing power overall, models will be, if you want to call it, of a higher res, compared to the normal gameplay models.

StuBurns

Banned
duckroll said:
I think the biggest difference between ACC and the Cloud artbook is that S-E is publishing ACC. Dengeki published the Cloud artbook, so they only have whatever materials that S-E gives them. Whenever S-E promises the latest trailer (especially when they put them online for S-E Members) they always deliver. The notion that they're hiding trailers on purpose is a misconception, it's just something people tend to feel when they get hyped up based on false expectations and get disappointed over and over. :p
Well, I used to think that till TGS, but the fact that they were showing the old Cell Phone Agito trailer in the Sony booth, even though it's not really representative of the current product, made me think they really do just not want people to have it.

But I guess you're right. Maybe there are other reasons behind their behavior.

-Kh- said:
Remember that character models from in-game cutscenes are allocated much more processing power overall, models will be, if you want to call it, of a higher res, compared to the normal gameplay models.
Really? Since when?

stuburns said:
Really? Since when?

Since forever (when i say forever i actually mean, from like.. FFX lol)
they always used different models, battle/field/cut-scene are all different, the level of detail varies with each

FFX yuna Left = field/battle Right = Cutscene
x44sk6.jpg

duckroll

stuburns said:
Well, I used to think that till TGS, but the fact that they were showing the old Cell Phone Agito trailer in the Sony booth, even though it's not really representative of the current product, made me think they really do just not want people to have it.

But I guess you're right. Maybe there are other reasons behind their behavior.

Well, is it really S-E's fault that they would not want to give Sony the latest trailers to show at -their- booth when S-E is running their own booth and theatre at the event? I don't think it's really surprising, and Sony is pretty dumb to be so desperate for more trailers to agree to take the old ones imo. It's not like S-E forced them to. :)

-Kh-

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
Since forever
they always used different models, battle/field/cut-scene are all different, the level of detail varies with each

Exactly, using high res models for characters running around a field is a waste of resources, so those models are tonned down, less polys, textures don't have as much detail.

If I would said so, they might even use 3 types of models for many games:

- The lower res for running around, talking to people and etc.

- The middle res for battles, since usually there are close ups.

- The high res for real-time cutscenes.

Actually make that 4, with FMV sequences.

RpgN

BlazingDarkness said:
Since forever (when i say forever i actually mean, from like.. FFX lol)

Now that we are talking about this subject, I have a hard time to notice this with FFXII. The characters look just as good with gameplay and zoom-in camera used IMO. Or is it just me?

-Kh-

Banned
RpgN said:
Now that we talk about this subject, I have a hard time to notice this with FFXII. The characters look just as good with gameplay and zoom-in camera used IMO. Or is it just me?

That's because of the real-time battle, you don't change modes from running around into a battle screen mode. Therefore the character models in FFXII are the same in the field.

They just have the field/cutscenes models.

stuburns said:
We're talking about FFVersusXIII, not Final Fantasy games in general.

I replied to you with a general answer, and this applies as well for other type of games that use a field/cutscene approach too.

But it is the same for Versus and XIII, hopefully someone has those screens at hand.

duckroll

RpgN said:
Now that we are talking about this subject, I have a hard time to notice this with FFXII. The characters look just as good with gameplay and zoom-in camera used IMO. Or is it just me?

They're not supposed to look worse in gameplay. They generally look the same. The main differences are stuff you would never notice in gameplay (since it doesn't happen), like facial animations, the detailed way they speak, the more detailed poses the general character model can make, etc. In actual gameplay, there's no reason why you would see any of those, so they can drop a lot of polygons and intricit details leaving just enough for the character and textures to generally look the "same".

duckroll

stuburns said:
We're talking about FFVersusXIII, not Final Fantasy games in general.

Since there are no gameplay screens or footage of Versus XIII available, no one can help you there. But it'll be silly to think they wouldn't be doing the same thing, since it makes the most sense technologically.

StuBurns

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
obviously, but it's the same prinicpal
Yeah, assuming this happens in FFVersusXIII.

As far as I know, these latest pics are the only in-game Versus pics we have.

duckroll said:
Since there are no gameplay screens or footage of Versus XIII available, no one can help you there. But it'll be silly to think they wouldn't be doing the same thing, since it makes the most sense technologically.
Are they doing it on FFXIII? If so, then I guess it being in Versus is likely.

RpgN

-Kh- said:
That's because of the real-time battle, you don't change modes from running around into a battle screen mode. Therefore the character models in FFXII are the same in the field.

They just have the field/cutscenes models.

I replied to you with a general answer, and this applies as well for other type of games that use a field/cutscene approach too.

That makes sense, thanks.

Duckroll, that might be true but the difference is huge between FFXII and X(-2) in this regard. The gameplay models look ugly there and it's pretty noticeable. When I zoom a FFXII character in towns (or fields), it's hard to notice much difference besides the animation and facial expression. They really did a better job there which in turn fooled me for a second :lol

duckroll

RpgN said:

Duckroll, that might be true but the difference is huge between FFXII and X(-2) in this regard. The gameplay models look ugly there and it's pretty noticeable. When I zoom a FFXII character in towns (or fields), it's hard to notice much difference besides the animation and facial expression. They really did a better job there which in turn fooled me for a second :lol

That's because in terms of modeling and textures, the FFXII/VS team > the KH team >>>>> the regular FF team. :D

StuBurns

Banned
Kagari said:
http://www.finalfantasyxiii.net/images/other/hd-screens/xiii6.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.finalfantasyxiii.net/images/other/hd-screens/xiii3.jpg[IMG]

Look here.[/QUOTE]
Why do you think the top one is in-game? Why would we be controlling lightning in that shot?
They are both cutscenes.

EDIT: They are different character models though, yes. But still the top one is a cutscene as well. I guess it is proof of concept.

RpgN

duckroll said:
That's because in terms of modeling and textures, the FFXII/VS team > the KH team >>>>> the regular FF team. :D

Agreed. VS looked really good for its time.

And yes, KH team are definitely better than the regular FF team with this. I'm 100% positive FF Versus will look technically better than FFXIII.

stuburns said:
Why do you think the top one is in-game? Why would we be controlling lightning in that shot?
They are both cutscenes.

EDIT: They are different character models though, yes. But still the top one is a cutscene as well. I guess it is proof of concept.

I doubt it's a CGI cutscene. Look at the ground - it's not bump-mapped. Not to mention the aliasing and polygonal bracelets. An in-game cutscene, but still in-game.

-Kh-

Banned
stuburns said:
Yeah, assuming this happens in FFVersusXIII.

I know the PS3 is really good, but unless SE wants less quality of what the PS3 is able to do, there is no way that the graphics will be the same all overall.

If they were to push the PS3 to the max and make the graphics cutscene quality during the whole gameplay experience, it would be one of two choises:

1. An above average good looking game.

2. The best graphic-wise game, barring Crysis-like games, that would feature 5-8 characters maximum per screen, that including enemies, in a rather small location (indoors), running at 15-20 fps.

None of those scenarios can be acepted, you need to have a balance, you can't have the best looking game on PS3 with a shitty framerate.

I'm going to tell you a short out of NDA anecdote (I'll make it short):

January 10, 2008. GTAIV running on a PS3, best looking game on PS3, better than anything 360 to that date, better than anything PC (leaving Crysis out again).

Sadly, the game was impossible to play. Framerate would drop to very low at any moment, move the camera too fast, good bye framerate; speed up in your car, good bye framerate; get into a crowded area, good bye framerate. That's not even mentioning the numerous hangs that would occur at any moment just by being 'reckless' (a.k.a: trying to play).

Night time, with all these lights was hell, and I don't even want to remember the rainy weather.

1 week later, after failing the game, we received a more decent 1.01 version, with not that good graphics, but playable, at a steady (say 20 fps) framerate.

March 2008, about month and a half to release date, and we received the 1.02 version, running smoothly as the retail copy, but with graphics that looked nothing like the first version.

I hope this little story helps for the understanding of the little issue which is Graphics vs Framerate.

StuBurns

Banned
Death_Born said:
I doubt it's a cutscene. Look at the ground - it's not bump-mapped. Not to mention the aliasing and polygonal bracelets

I don't understand your point, when I say cutscene, I mean real-time cutscene. So it would be in the same real-time environments as the gameplay.
And I noticed the character models are different, I just don't see why that shot would be gameplay, not a real-time cutscene.

-Kh- said:
GTA4 story.
I don't think you understand my point at all.

Think about a scene in FFXII when you're in an environment where there is gameplay, and there is an in-engine cutscene. If it's being rendered in real-time in both occasions, why would the higher poly character model run at a decent framerate when it's a cutscene, and not while playing? I don't see how this is any sort of compromise. It can either run with the good poly model or not, can't it?

-Kh-

Banned
RpgN said:

Duckroll, that might be true but the difference is huge between FFXII and X(-2)

2001 engine vs 2006 engine. First-gen PS2 game vs Last-gen PS2 game.

It is pretty much like asking why FFIX has better graphics than VII.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RpgN said:

And yes, KH team are definitely better than the regular FF team with this. I'm 100% positive FF Versus will look technically better than FFXIII.

Agreed.

RpgN

-Kh- said:
2001 engine vs 2006 engine. First-gen PS2 game vs Last-gen PS2 game.

It is pretty much like asking why FFIX has better graphics than VII.

Oke, oke. I guess that's not fair. I didn't see much improvement with FFX-2 after FFX though. And that came in 2004 (EU)?

duckroll

RpgN said:

I'm really, really excited about Jun Akiyama working on Versus too. The cutscenes he directed in VS, KH1 and FFXII were fucking amazing. The way the scenes are composed, and the way characters interact, it's totally in a class of it's own. In comparison, KH2 felt like it was just trying too hard to be cool.

-Kh-

Banned
FFXIII and vXIII seem to me like this huge behemoths' battle between Kitase/Toriyama team and Hashimoto/Nomura team for the supremacy of making the best Final Fantasy game (or at least the best FNC game :p)

Top Bottom