• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix to announce a Secret Title on 12 Dec [Over. Star Galaxy, browser game]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

I said many times in our Gundam thread that Shinn was the worst lead ever in Gundam.

By the time I finished AGE arc 1 I no lie backtracked like a little bitch and flat said that I would take Shinn as a lead over Flit any day of the week. When I did so the only thing that happened was people kept saying sorry because of how bad it was going to be when I got to Kio and his crying only to be made worse by the fact he doesn't ever accomplish or do anything of note.

When have we ever been able to trust SE with Sci Fi? Tri Ace made all the Star Ocean games, and lets be honest the stories in 3 and 4 at least are some of the worst shit on the planet, even Toriyama's XIII nonsense can't stand up to some of the "great" plot twists in those games.

Oh man that does not bode well. Flit is annoying, but I don't know if he's worse than Shinn yet. At least when Shinn didn't talk he was cool. The problem was when Shinn opened his mouth he suuuuuucked so bad. At least I got to see Athrun roflstomp him and slap him.

If no one slaps Flit, I'll be disappointed. Gundam protagonists should always be humiliated at some point.

wulff83

Neo Member
The golden age of Square and Enix are long past. Since Square Enix was formed, it's been mostly a downhill stumble with a few really good launches upward. In the US, they seem to release more bad games than good, at least when it comes to RPGs... Or they drop something on to mobile and it sucks compared to the original (just got CT for Android, boy was I sorry about that one... >_<)

Ryoku

Was it Square Enix that held a survey asking if we would like a JRPG on PC? Or am I just making things up?

Anyways, I think it's a Star Ocean.

Was 4 worse than 3? I remember getting 3 used on a whim because I wanted something new to play. After three hours of playing it, I took it back because it was just awful.

Wow, you would probably LOATHE 4 then. I like 3 decently enough (except for the obvious story stuff that's been gone over a billion times), and I am willing to forgive 4 if they give us 5!

wulff83

Neo Member
Theres still hope for The World Ends with You two. After all it is a planet. Planet = world.

I gotta ask... what is the draw to TWEWY? I tried that game and couldn't stand it. The gameplay didn't entice me, and the main character made me wanna slap him with almost every bit of dialogue he had... Help an old man understand. XD

ReaperXL7

If you think 3 was bad, you should never touch 4.

Really? I actually liked alot more in 4 than i did in 3, the problem with 4 was that the characters were just so terrible that i could not stand to look at them anymore.

If they had made the story and characters even somewhat enjoyable i think it could have been one of the better console jrpgs this gen.

I have no clue why the star ocean games are not present on psn though, youd think between ps1 classics, and the psp ports SE would throw us some kind of bone...instead part of japan will get a phone game and it will be terrible.

Edge Maverick Returns: Star Ocean 4 gaiden duodecim XX advent: Type-II: International Edition.

Square Enix Member Survey: What qualities do you like most about Edge Maverick?

I'd like to believe it's a portable Star Ocean or something. But more than likely, it's not anything I would want it to be. So ... I'll just : ( in advance.

ReaperXL7

Edge Maverick Returns: Star Ocean 4 gaiden duodecim XX advent: Type-II: International Edition.

Square Enix Member Survey: What qualities do you like most about Edge Maverick?

Star Fantasy love Versus XIII: A dating sim where you choose to play as either lightning or edge mavrick with the goal of reproducing with the other. Their child would be an abomination...and would tare the fabic of space and time asunder.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
It could be a reboot of the Star Ocean IP. Mostly a linear shooter with covers developed by a western developer (Silicon Knights!) on a strict budget and the scenario written by M.Toriyama himself.

Masterpiece!

antitrop

Star ocean 4 was not that bad. I kind of like the name edge maverick .
It sounds like a bad Mega Man boss or an Ultimate Ability in League of Legends.

With the state of JRPGs, if it turned out to be a decent game, why not go back?
Star Ocean 4 was the game that made me realize exactly what the state of JRPGs was and is. I'm a Star Ocean 2 fan from the PS1 days, but SO4 is embarrassing. I felt ashamed to be playing it and the story was mind-numbingly stupid.

antitrop

It's better than fayt linegod.
You will receive no argument from me. That game sucked, too.

Only SO1 and 2 were any good to me. I played 2 on the PS1 forever ago, but I never got to play 1 until the PSP remake in the SO2 engine that came out a few years ago. It was great.

It sounds like a bad Mega Man boss or an Ultimate Ability in League of Legends.

Star Ocean 4 was the game that made me realize exactly what the state of JRPGs was and is. I'm a Star Ocean 2 fan from the PS1 days, but SO4 is embarrassing. I felt ashamed to be playing it and the story was mind-numbingly stupid.

Yeah, I wont touch SO4 for this reason. But I'd look into SO5 if it played well and wasn't offensive.

Lyng

It was a real shame. Like I said earlier the battlesystem was, imo, one of the best in any Jrpg this gen. It was fun and kept you on your toes.
The story was however so amazingly bad. And yes exactly that feeling of shame got me too. I never finished it. The first time Lymle asked the big robotdude if he would be her plaything the game got thrown out.
Most of the on ship dialogue and cut scenes seemed to be invented by a sick teenager that just entered puberty.
A disgrace to an otherwise great franchise.

SO2 was my favourite game on psx.

antitrop

I know only one person in real life who played through SO4 and enjoyed it.

His favorite thing about the game was his attraction to the cat girl character. That says as much about the game as it does the people I choose to associate with.

Isn't there some rumor that they outsourced their writing to some adult oriented studio (can't remember exactly)?

His favorite thing about the game was his attraction to the cat girl character. That says as much about the game as it does the people I choose to associate with.

This is depressing.

Lyng

I think I just threw up abit in my mouth....

trinest

I gotta ask... what is the draw to TWEWY? I tried that game and couldn't stand it. The gameplay didn't entice me, and the main character made me wanna slap him with almost every bit of dialogue he had... Help an old man understand. XD

The kid been an emo looser was half the fun. In general it was just different to many games at the time and still is, its gameplay is a bit hit and miss at times, I give you that, but overall its a very solid title and has a huge following for a sleeper hit. The music and the plot was also good.

Putting it simply, if your turned off by the game its probably not your cup of tea

antitrop

Man, The World Ends With You is one of the most charming games I've ever played.

So much personality, I really loved it.

Please guys, have EXTREMELY LOW expectations for this so you won't set yourself up for disappointment.

This is Square Enix we're talking about.

antitrop

I went to see Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within in theaters when I was a teen.
If only I would have known it was going to single-handedly destroy the company as I knew it.

Crazy.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
If it's SO I'm hoping it's more like that trailer showcasing the engine and less than SO4.

Remember the meltdowns after the last Sqare Enix countdown?

Don't forget:

xi3c5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom