• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's E3 2012 Lineup

To everyone complaining about the lack of Japanese output here, you realize if it were there, no journalists at E3 would actually report on it, right?

It might be indicative of a switch in total focus for SE or it might be that they know E3 is an American show and only the biggest Japanese titles will get any positive attention there.

American Mensa Academy™
Platforms: Windows PC, Xbox LIVE Arcade, PlayStation Network, iOS, Android
Available: July
American Mensa Academy is a brain training game that will give player's minds the ultimate cerebral workout. Created in direct collaboration with Mensa, American Mensa Academy is packed with 100+ replayable levels of fun and stimulating mini-games and challenges for everyone, plus for those really looking to test their grey matter, there is a rigorous test designed to calculate your Mensa score, directly inspired by questions faced by those attempting to join the renowned global high IQ society.

Hell yes!

List looks good to me, looking forward to seeing more Tomb Raider and that FF iOS game seems interesting. Pleasantly surprised actually,
though I wasn't in the LEAST holding out for Versus or Type-0 release. I've learned to like SE much more now that I don't consider them a Dragon Quest/FF making machine, because they're not anymore.

Goli

Yay for Final Fantasy Dimensions. Sort of disappointed that Star Burial Dragnir and Kakusansei Million Arthur aren't there but oh well.

The list is just PR stuff for things that's already revealed, it's not going to list stuff that's not been announced yet

Final Fantasy Dimensions had not been revealed till now, unless I missed the announcement.

EDIT: I can't believe how little faith people have in FFD );, specially since like @MUWANdo said is probably the localized name for Final Fantasy Legends 光と闇の戦士 which looks totally sweet and awesome http://www.square-enix.co.jp/mobile/ff/ffl/
EDIT2: Oh so it IS. http://www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/ffdl/

bubnbob

Banned
They discussed Final Fantasy Dimensions, Demon's Score and others at TGS or some other event. I guess this is the first that it's coming across, but most if not all if their iOS outings have made the jump so I'm not surprised.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I never thought I'd see the day when the most interesting (to my tastes) game in a S-E lineup is a Tomb Raider game. I remember stopping by SE's booth in '06, and playing stuff like FF3 DS, FF12, Silmeria and Kingdom Hearts 2.

Hopefully they still have some surprise announcements in store for us, but I doubt it.

Acosta

Funny how fast iOS/Android has become the dominant handheld platform for publishers. I haven't see so much products for a handheld in a E3 in many years.

Where is Type-0? SE wouldn't let such a game to not get localized, right?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
To everyone complaining about the lack of Japanese output here, you realize if it were there, no journalists at E3 would actually report on it, right?

It might be indicative of a switch in total focus for SE or it might be that they know E3 is an American show and only the biggest Japanese titles will get any positive attention there.

That's not true.

This is the E3 that happens to be in the same year they are celebrating the 25th anniversary of FINAL FANTASY...... and yet what do we get?

Oh SE, how the hell you are thinking?

I thought last year Square Enix was complaining about the lack of their JPN games at e3? They didnt remedy that this year?

I don't understand how they are ignoring the PS Vita platform as a third party, they ought to support it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I thought last year Square Enix was complaining about the lack of their JPN games at e3? They didnt remedy that this year?

I don't understand how they are ignoring the PS Vita platform as a third party, they ought to support it.

They did, with two launch titles.

They also have FFX in development for it, along with another unannounced PS3/Vita game from Japan.

This is the E3 that happens to be in the same year they are celebrating the 25th anniversary of FINAL FANTASY...... and yet what do we get?

There's always TGS I suppose... but then, the 20th anniversary gave us what... a bunch of PSP ports?

jiggle

what amazing celebration for FF's 25th they got planned

September of last year, ok, not over a year, but damn near a year. Not even a remake. Shouldn't take that long.

needing nomura's approval on the movement of every single strand of hair takes time

Haunted

What a weird thing to say, I think the press would report on promising games that are there, regardless of origin country? That's what they've always done, that's what they'll keep doing.

And even if we were to accept that premise of bias against all but the biggest Japanese games (which I don't), Square-Enix used to make exactly these.

Ponn

Banned

FF games for iOS, thats what you get. Actually the way they are treating the FF 25th anniversary and KH 10th anniversary is a pretty good indicator of how they are treating their properties all together. Over half that list should be scrapped and they should be focused like a lens on their main properties.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
There's always TGS I suppose... but then, the 20th anniversary gave us what... a bunch of PSP ports?

Didn't they give us FFVII:CC?

Cornbread78

So if they were to announce a Kingdom Hearts 3 (on PS3/XBox) and/or Dragon Quest 11 (on PS3/XBox) or even a Legand of Mana..... there would be no Western gaming interest in that? A new, fresh IP RPG would definately get interest as well....

Thinking about it, they really ran out of classic 2D FINAL FANTASY to port....

Anyway I'm still hoping for at less a teaser announcement about the series with a big reveal at some big events they are going to throw at some time in this year.

Because they really need to give us something about FFXIV 2.0 PS3 and Type 0 and Versus and FFX HD and of course.... announce XIII-3.

duckroll

DEMONS' SCORE™
Platform: iOS, Android
Available: Summer
Demons' Score is a breakbeat action game that seamlessly fuses music and battles. The Unreal Engine 3 is used to deliver thrilling touch-based gameplay through a mind-blowing fusion of stunning graphics and music created by hit songwriters.

They're finally showing this. Nice. I hope it's good.

Midou

I love how they were like pretending for the 20th anniversary of various titles they were going to do an enhanced port, but they stopped at the title that has been remade 7 times already and didn't even do FFV which they've basically never done anything with, or FFVI which you know, they've done the same amount with, but it's one of the most popular. Dammit SE, very few actual good games developed this gen, and you even fail at remakes.

ZenaxPure

Squeenix's most exciting games by far are Hitman and Tomb Raider.

If by Hitman and Tomb Raider you mean KH 3D and Theatrhythm, then sure!

Anyhow, if Final Fantasy Dimensions is indeed that mobile game that has been around forever with the light/dark parties I am really looking forward to finally getting that. Just hope it is compatible with older iTouches.

Awful list. Can't believe they aren't even showing XIV 2.0.

doesn't the US Beta for 2.0 start later this year? Seems like a great opportunity to get people to give a rats ass about FFXIV again.

Yeah... strange move, but then again... this is S-E we're talking about.

Alrix

Quantum Conundrum, Tomb Raider, THEATRHYTHM Final Fantasy, Heroes of Ruin, Kingdom Hearts 3D. Not bad. Not great, but not bad. Always a chance we get some surprises, though, right? the amount of mobile games is scary, too.

crossing fingers for SE megatons.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
So, what are the japanese square dev teams up to? There's an unannounced action game using the unreal engine, an unannounced game for ps3/ vita, "a secret team working on a secret project" (said Nomura), FFvXIII, and possibly whatever title to conclude FFXIII's story mess, and...?

Is there any possibility for a big surprise?

Quantum Conundrum, Tomb Raider, THEATRHYTHM Final Fantasy, Heroes of Ruin, Kingdom Hearts 3D. Not bad. Not great, but not bad. Always a chance we get some surprises, though, right? the amount of mobile games is scary, too.

crossing fingers for SE megatons.

Honestly doesn't sound like it this time.

APZonerunner, who gets the hot insider news from time to time regarding all things S-E, said the other day that they really have nothing set aside in their schedule for 'surprises'.

The only exception would be a FFXIV-E3 2010 style reveal. Apparently that's one of the rare things they kept completely under-wraps. Even that info was leaked to those in-the-know a couple days prior to the show (correct me if I'm wrong, APZonerunner.)

Still, all signs point to "please don't look forward to it".

Top Bottom