• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's E3 2012 Lineup

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Honestly doesn't sound like it this time.

APZonerunner, who gets the hot insider news from time to time regarding all things S-E, said the other day that they really have nothing set aside in their schedule for 'surprises'.

The only exception would be a FFXIV-E3 2010 style reveal. Apparently that's one of the rare things they kept completely under-wraps.

Still, all signs point to "please don't look forward to it".

Right. Nothing has changed on that front either.

Derrick01

Banned
Sleeping Dogs is going to be sooo good. Mark my words.

It did look extremely good in the latest gameplay trailer. Enough that I actually preordered it on PC for around $35.

Honestly between last year with Deus Ex, this year and next year this is SE's strongest lineup since the PS1 days. It remains to be seen if most of these games will be good though, but on paper it's extremely strong.

duckroll

I think Type-0 is going to end up being the Re:Chain of Memories of the FF series for the western audience. By the time S-E finally finds a way to port and release it in a way which isn't embarrassing, so much time would have passed that the game will look dated and all the hardcore fans who were excited for it previously would have moved on.

KorrZ

Pretty much all the known quantities. I'm still hoping they'll do an unveil of Thief 4 during the conference. Can't wait to see how the Eidos Montreal guys handle it after Deus Ex.

That rumored Legacy of Kain game appearing would make me squeal too

What a weird thing to say, I think the press would report on promising games that are there, regardless of origin country? That's what they've always done, that's what they'll keep doing.

And even if we were to accept that premise of bias against all but the biggest Japanese games (which I don't), Square-Enix used to make exactly these.

It's not a bias, there's only so much time and so much to report and it won't be spent on Final Fantasy XIII-3 or Type-0, it will be spent on Hitman and Tomb Raider. The American press will look at the games their audience wants to see and they want to see.

I think Type-0 is going to end up being the Re:Chain of Memories of the FF series for the western audience. By the time S-E finally finds a way to port and release it in a way which isn't embarrassing, so much time would have passed that the game will look dated and all the hardcore fans who were excited for it previously would have moved on.

I can't believe that no one there ever thought of releasing it for the west as a remastered in HD for both PS3 & PSV...... I refuse to believe that this idea never accord to them :\

So if they were to announce a Kingdom Hearts 3 (on PS3/XBox) and/or Dragon Quest 11 (on PS3/XBox) or even a Legand of Mana..... there would be no Western gaming interest in that? A new, fresh IP RPG would definately get interest as well....

It might be indicative of a switch in total focus for SE or it might be that they know E3 is an American show and only the biggest Japanese titles will get any positive attention there.

So did you not read or are you saying KH and DQ aren't very big

HOLY SHIT, RAYSTORM FOR iOS! GIVE IT TO ME NOW.

7pRGT.gif

duckroll

I can't believe that no one there ever thought of releasing it for the west as a remastered in HD for both PS3 & PSV...... I refuse to believe that this idea never accord to them :\

Maybe they did think of that, and they're working on that? I dunno, but that could be a major hold up.

smr00

Banned
I am super excited for Sleeping Dogs and have been since the TC announcement years back.

from what i have seen and heard it's going to be an incredibly fun game. Also i need more Hitman in my life but the rest i could do without.

DarkKyo

Only thing I'm interested in there is KH3D but it's not like they'll show anything new. The game's been out for months in Japan.

StuBurns

Banned
I think that's unlikely in that original 'real' handheld Final Fantasies are so few and far between, that if it takes them three years to get Type-0 out, in all likelihood, there still won't be a newer handheld designed Final Fantasy dating it.

BD1

Banned
Didn't Microsoft say they would revealing a world premiere of a new Square game (among many other pubs) at the E3 conference? Wouldn't that indicate this list is incomplete and there are some surprises?

... Anyways, I was holding out hope for a new Wii U Crystal Chronicles. Maybe later.

ZenaxPure

I think that's unlikely in that original 'real' handheld Final Fantasies are so few and far between, that if it takes them three years to get Type-0 out, in all likelihood, there still won't be a newer handheld designed Final Fantasy dating it.

Bravely Default might as well be one, I guess? Seems that way to me anyway. I'd rather get Bravely before Type-0 to be honest. Though I could see it not counting as a "big original handheld FF" game to some people.

Didn't Microsoft say they would revealing a world premiere of a new Square game (among many other pubs) at the E3 conference? Wouldn't that indicate this list is incomplete and there are some surprises?

... Anyways, I was holding out hope for a new Wii U Crystal Chronicles. Maybe later.

Mini Ninjas Kinect

I'm not even lying.

StuBurns

Banned
Bravely Default might as well be one, I guess? Seems that way to me anyway. I'd rather get Bravely before Type-0 to be honest. Though I could see it not counting as a "big original handheld FF" game to some people.
Well, if they change the name to Final Fantasy it sure would be.

dramatis

It's probably Thi4f.

I mean Thief 4.

"Some" surprises usually means "one" surprise.

That is just....wow.

So much for getting excited over that thread posted last night about all the 3rd party premiers at the MS show. I figured most would be kinect garbage but there was always hope.

Well, when I say "I'm not lying" I mean "Mini Ninjas Kinect is a thing".

As I said in the other thread, there is no reason to believe that Thief 4 is at Microsoft's conference.

Foffy

Banned

For some reason, I feel with the lack of any announcement of Type-0, I worry that's the final deathbed for the PSP, and all we'll ever see in terms of English releases are games that have already been announced for localization. We've already lost Grand Knights History..granted, lost for different reasons but it seems like GKH, Type-0, and Eternal Punishment are the last big PSP games we'd probably ever see in English, and the latter two have no peeps about it happening.

jorgeton

Meh line-up. Only interested in a couple of their IOS games and Tomb Raider. Holding out hope some of the more exciting news (Type 0 in the US) are either announced at Sony's presser or at a later event.

I can't hate on them for focusing E3 on titles that are close to being released though. We all know how well it went when they decided to show off games that were years away from public consumption...

Also, the console games they're showing are the same ones they've been plugging for a few months. Most of these games will be out soon-ish. Which means that once these babies are out, they'll have to show off some new (and possibly more exciting) games.

So yeah, tepid line up, but I feel like they'll have some aces up their sleeve post-E3.

Toth

I believe that a talented team of translators at Gamefaqs are planning to completely translate Type 0 if there is no announcement made at this E-3. Apparently, their tools are all set up and they have already translated most of the game's script.

So there is hope if Type-0 is forgotten ; ;

Of course, everyone will need to purchase the JPN version of the game or DD but I am sure the diehards will have no problem with that.

StuBurns

Banned
For some reason, I feel with the lack of any announcement of Type-0, I worry that's the final deathbed for the PSP, and all we'll ever see in terms of English releases are games that have already been announced for localization. We've already lost Grand Knights History..granted, lost for different reasons but it seems like GKH, Type-0, and Eternal Punishment are the last big PSP games we'd probably ever see in English, and the latter two have no peeps about it happening.
It would be ridiculous to waste such a high budget/profile game on a dead platform like the PSP. The Vita is possible if Sony want to compensate them I imagine, but 3DS is the logical place for it.

FoneBone

I wish Dragon Quest Monsters was on that list. Unless Nintendo is planning to handle that game too.

If it's coming to the US, it'll almost certainly be from Nintendo. I wouldn't look to SE for any western DQ announcements for the foreseeable future.

Foffy

Banned
I believe that a talented team of translators at Gamefaqs are planning to completely translate Type 0 if there is no announcement made at this E-3. Apparently, their tools are all set up and they have already translated most of the game's script.

So there is hope if Type-0 is forgotten ; ;

Of course, everyone will need to purchase the JPN version of the game or DD but I am sure the diehards will have no problem with that.

The disgusting thing is fans shouldn't have to be put in a position to translate a game for a company because they don't want to bring it over. That seems more infuriating than a solid backup plan.

It would be ridiculous to waste such a high budget/profile game on a dead platform like the PSP. The Vita is possible if Sony want to compensate them I imagine, but 3DS is the logical place for it.

I suppose, but there have quite a number of alternative channels; why not a PSN release? It seems bewildering that the game just may be disregarded entirely.

ZenaxPure

Well, if they change the name to Final Fantasy it sure would be.

That's true, since the name technically isn't Final Fantasy (even if part of the game abbreviates to FF :p) though it is sorta-basically may as well be a sequel to a game with Final Fantasy in the name (same enemies, same artist, "classic" feel, etc). Regardless, I'm more interested in that than Type-0 at this point, even if I would still like to see Type-0 eventually.

Wiz

Only interested in the 3DS titles really. Heroes of Ruin looks like it's gonna surprise a lot of people.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Funnily enough this may be the only time in recent memory where I am actively caring about the Square Enix lineup. Quantum Conundrum is bound to be worth seeing, Sleeping Dogs is going to be my sleeper hit of the year, Hitman: Absolution is Hitman, I'm actually interested to see how Tomb Raider works out based purely on the fact that the devs seemed determined to go back to the drawing board, not to mention the holy grail that is Theatrhythm.

Very keen to see how Final Fantasy Dimensions and Guardian Cross turn out as well.

Toth

I am still hoping for some surprises but I guess we will see. SE does have a very strong westernized line-up though but they appear to lack a strong holiday game (unless Hitman is that sure of a hit?)

In truth, SE showing their western games at a western conferences is the way to go.

This however does not quell my eternal rage at the lack of Versus ANYTHING.

Absolutely this.

Square-Enix has made some bone-headed decisions lately, but they will not miss out on an opportunity to make money from the Final Fantasy name.

I fully expect (hope :/) some Vita/PS3 'HD' FF Type 0 to be released, ala Metal Gear Peacewalker.

creid

Hm, I already forgot about Final Fantasy Legends and assumed Dimensions was the localized name for FF Brigade. I'm disappointed that there's no chance for a Type-0 surprise.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I am still hoping for some surprises but I guess we will see. SE does have a very strong westernized line-up though but they appear to lack a strong holiday game (unless Hitman is that sure of a hit?)

Hitman is a surefire commodity. The fans will buy it, and it is probably a reason why it has been slotted in that month to begin with. I doubt Square Enix are expecting gangbuster sales, but to expect the same amount that they usually get from the Hitman fans.

I believe that is the reason why Sleeping Dogs is in August, just like Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a year before it.

Top Bottom