• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's new plan: Eidos focus = online games; Japan accelerating work on phones

Faustek

They are TRYING to make money in the only Japanese markets that are offering more growth.

Not only in Japan but also around the world, but most people here seem to believe that is not the case.

yepp we've seen how badly console/handheld games are selling. It's really awful. Can someone call up some major publisher and tell them how bad it really is?

Baleoce

Square Enix's new plan: Eidos = online games; Japan = smartphone games

i86w9cuBAh5pK.gif

Mman235

RIP Square. Eidos has always been a ridiculously greedy publisher that somehow managed to birth some of the best franchises in gaming in spite of that (too bad it almost killed some of them through that greed too), so this is no surprise from them, beyond the fact it's apparently Square that brought this about.

If this goes through and they run themselves into the ground I have a slight hope the actual talent and series they own will go to people who care and give them the time to be properly revitalised (or continue their revitalisation in a couple of cases), but I know the chance of that is basically zero. At least in the absolute worst case the franchises might get a final rest rather than having their corpses shit on
lol not in this industry.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
You know, the smartphone integration for FFXIV was pretty nice. Hope we get something to that effect in more SE games actually. Not actually smartphone games but it relates in ways.

SykoTech

Guess I'll only be buying Kingdom Hearts and (mainline) Final Fantasy games from Square Enix from now on.

So basically....exactly what I'm doing now.

Boss Man

Just realized I haven't enjoyed a game created by SE later than 2001 (FFXI).

Can't believe that's over a decade ago. I guess FFX is really when they started spiraling down. The magic has been gone for a long time.

What ever happened to the real FF dudes who made Lost Odyssey?

Shogun1337

Optional Character Pack 1, $9.99 - Unlocks Matoya Wendigo, a powerful sorceress who can be recruited in the Tenebran Catacombs.

Optional Character Pack 2, $9.99 - Unlocks Cor Leonis, a legendary swordsman who can be recruited in Lucis Castle's West Wing.

Online Access, $9/month - Allows you to play online co-op with friends.

Optional Boss Pack, $5.99 - Adds 5 optional bosses, including the dreaded Omega Weapon, to the game.

Stella Costume Pack, $3.99 - 2 new costumes for Stella.

Stella Costume Pack 2, $5.99 - Dress Stella up in a sexy nightgown!

Stella Costume Pack 3, $3.99 - Unlock a beach bikini outfit for Stella.

Alternate Ending Pack, $9.99 - Unlock 4 extra endings, including the "Good Ending" and the "Secret Ending".

Hard Mode, $5.99 - Adds Hard Mode to the game.

Lightning Is Back, $19.99 - Replaces the in-game Stella model with my waifu.

Extra Battle Music, $6.99 - Adds 7 new battle themes!

We've come to a dark age in gaming where all of this DLC is entirely possible.

Famassu

What's wrong? Well for one he's effectively calling people stupid. And for two... the apologist attitude can only work for so long.
First of all, fans are stupid. FF fans especially don't seem to know what they want (part of them think everything went down the drain after IV or VI already, others that the downhill started with VIII or that IX was the last one to give a fuck about, some think XII is the worst shit ever whereas X is a masterpiece etc.). So yes, I don't want stupid fans to mandate FFXV's development. I'd rather Nomura & Co take as long with it as they want if it means we are getting a better game for it (and the move to PS4Bone will unarguably help this game become better, knowing what kind of problems they were struggling with in the PS3 version).

Second, I don't really see how I'm apologizing for anyone. I've already said in this thread that I don't like SE's grown emphasis on smartphone games, I've called the development of FFXII a clusterfuck and said they screwed up with the Crystal Tools and have shared my share of criticism towards Toriyama. That said, I've also simply seen the facts about what has happened at Square Enix in recent years and I'm not completely mad about what they've done about it. I understand why they greenlit XIII-2 & LR and fixed XIV 2.0

As for the topic of this thread, I'm not a part of the demographic for mobile phone games (I've only ever bought maybe 2-3 smartphone games and those didn't hold my interest for more than 20 minutes), but I can understand why Square Enix has jumped on that train (it is profitable even without Puzzles & Dragons kind of crazy success and can provide somewhat steady revenue that can be directed to other stuff, handhelds are on their death bed apart from a few franchises so they need to replace that with something in the next few years).

And I'm not going to freak out about this online emphasis until I see what they mean. If they are going to make Eidos make Nosgoth like F2P games EXCLUSIVELY, I'll join the hate train when that has happened. But if it turns out it means making something like The Division (which looks pretty cool) or something a bit more online-emphasizing games (i.e. adding some Watch Dogs like online features to the next Deus Ex), I'm totally okay with that.

I'm just not as annoingly pessimistic as you and a lot of other people like to be in today's world, with overly knee-jerk reactions & all. I still see a lot of more or less good in Square Enix's future (Bravely Default, FFXV, KHIII, KH2.5HD, Theatrhythm Curtain Call, Drakengard III, FFX | X-2 HD, Lightning Returns, Murdered: Soul Suspect, maybe Thief) so EXCUUUUUUSE ME, princess
don't get mad and ban me, it's a Zelda cartoon reference...
, if I don't join the blind hate.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Get that DQ VIII on Vita, Shahid.

Shahid has no power here. Vita will be lucky to get a US release of FFX/X-2. =P

Also, yeah. The overreactions are pretty wild. There is plenty of SE on my plate next year. Bravely Default, FFX/X-2, FFXIV, FFXIII: Lightning Returns, Curtain Call and Drakengard 3. I'm pretty good. Like everyone else, i miss the old days. The old days are long gone though. As are most of the people who made those old games. This generation has been unkind to damn near every single Japanese publisher and developer I love. It sucks, but I'll survive while they do the same. I let them know my opinion directly and move on.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can only hope Deus Ex 4's multiplayer and iOS tie-ins don't influence the single player too negatively.

Shahid has no power here. Vita will be lucky to get a US release of FFX/X-2. =P

There's a rumour that it might have been in the negotiations for the #jrpgvita thing. If there's already a smartphone version, it doesn't seem like a huge leap to get it over to Vita, and it would be perfect on the system.

I can only hope Deus Ex 4's multiplayer and iOS tie-ins don't influence the single player too negatively.

The one possible saving grace is that the blurb they put out for Deus Ex Universe was that it was "an ongoing, expanding and connected game world built across a generation of core games." That might be vague enough to include something that's not a cheesy mmo.

Just realized I haven't enjoyed a game created by SE later than 2001 (FFXI).

Can't believe that's over a decade ago. I guess FFX is really when they started spiraling down. The magic has been gone for a long time.

What ever happened to the real FF dudes who made Lost Odyssey?

Ironically, they are making mobile games now.

I'm glad we got Tomb Raider before this happened. I don't know if a sequel will even happen anymore at this rate.

Sucks Eidos is getting hit by this. The best thing SE did was save Eidos and then they just made it worse.

Shinta

Banned
First of all, fans are stupid. FF fans especially don't seem to know what they want (part of them think everything went down the drain after IV or VI already, others that the downhill started with VIII or that IX was the last one to give a fuck about, some think XII is the worst shit ever whereas X is a masterpiece etc.). So yes, I don't want stupid fans to mandate FFXV's development. I'd rather Nomura & Co take as long with it as they want if it means we are getting a better game for it (and the move to PS4Bone will unarguably help this game become better, knowing what kind of problems they were struggling with in the PS3 version).

Second, I don't really see how I'm apologizing for anyone. I've already said in this thread that I don't like SE's grown emphasis on smartphone games, I've called the development of FFXII a clusterfuck and said they screwed up with the Crystal Tools and have shared my share of criticism towards Toriyama. That said, I've also simply seen the facts about what has happened at Square Enix in recent years and I'm not completely mad about what they've done about it. I understand why they greenlit XIII-2 & LR and fixed XIV 2.0

As for the topic of this thread, I'm not a part of the demographic for mobile phone games (I've only ever bought maybe 2-3 smartphone games and those didn't hold my interest for more than 20 minutes), but I can understand why Square Enix has jumped on that train (it is profitable even without Puzzles & Dragons kind of crazy success and can provide somewhat steady revenue that can be directed to other stuff, handhelds are on their death bed apart from a few franchises so they need to replace that with something in the next few years).

And I'm not going to freak out about this online emphasis until I see what they mean. If they are going to make Eidos make Nosgoth like F2P games EXCLUSIVELY, I'll join the hate train when that has happened. But if it turns out it means making something like The Division (which looks pretty cool) or something a bit more online-emphasizing games (i.e. adding some Watch Dogs like online features to the next Deus Ex), I'm totally okay with that.

I'm just not as annoingly pessimistic as you and a lot of other people like to be in today's world, with overly knee-jerk reactions & all. I still see a lot of more or less good in Square Enix's future (Bravely Default, FFXV, KHIII, KH2.5HD, Theatrhythm Curtain Call, Drakengard III, FFX | X-2 HD, Lightning Returns, Murdered: Soul Suspect, maybe Thief) so EXCUUUUUUSE ME, princess
don't get mad and ban me, it's a Zelda cartoon reference...
, if I don't join the blind hate.

This just seems like the logical response everyone should have had. Pretty much echoes all the same thoughts I had in these posts here and here.

Instead it's pages and pages of people claiming they're dead for doing the same thing Ubisoft, EA, and Capcom are leaning towards right now. It's just painful to read most of these comments. Fammasu's are some of the only thoughtful comments with thoughtful analysis of what's happening.

What frustrates me most of all, is that all the negative comments continue to drag down interest in future SQEX products, and contribute to a negative attitude to their brands that negatively impacts sales. Most of the people complaining have been doing their best to make sure SQEX is not able to sell anything for the last 4 years without wading through a minefield of constant negative PR.

If people want to see more SQEX console games, buy Lightning Returns, FFXIV: ARR, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Drakengard 3, Thief, FFXV and KH3. If they want to see more portable games, but FFX and X-2 on Vita, and Bravely Default. They've said publicly that they'll continue with niche games like Drakengard if they are viable. They've said publicly they'll continue with big budget games like FFXV. They've said publicly they'll consider FFXII HD if it sells.

Why is all this "SQEX is dead" talk tolerated so easily? It's just mind numbing.

kayos90

This just seems like the logical response everyone should have had. Pretty much echoes all the same thoughts I had in these posts here and here.

Instead it's pages and pages of people claiming they're dead for doing the same thing Ubisoft, EA, and Capcom are leaning towards right now. It's just painful to read most of these comments. Fammasu's are some of the only thoughtful comments with thoughtful analysis of what's happening.

Ubisoft and EA has a good track record of putting out great games consistently for consoles. Look at SE. You can't say that SE is on their level in terms of management and development.

Shinta

Banned
Ubisoft and EA has a good track record of putting out great games consistently for consoles. Look at SE. You can't say that SE is on their level in terms of management and development.

I think we all know they had some mismanagement. I admitted as much to you in this thread already. It's on record and no one is really debating it.

But I think they can turn things around. And honestly, I do put them on Ubisoft's level. If SQEX had the sales numbers that Ubisoft does, they could keep putting out games just fine with teams of 700 people making them. Ubisoft does almost the same thing. AC 1, AC2, AC2-2, AC2-3, AC3, AC3-2 (Liberation), AC3-3 (AC IV). Splinter Cell Convinction, Conviction 2 (Blacklist). And on and on.

They both put out more games than almost anyone if you count their total releases. It's not a total coincidence that they just unveiled a cloud gaming partnership two days ago.

SQEX can do better in the future, and they need to. But it doesn't mean they're entirely incompetent and dead, and have no redeeming features. ARR was made in 2 years, which is pretty damn fast. XIII-2 and LR both made fast as well. Luminous is more streamlined. PS4 is easier to develop on. There are lots of signs of reform. They just need Ubisoft level sales, or they won't be able to make those games.

And moving portable games to smartphone is sad, but 100% logical. Their move to "online enabled games" has a lot to convince me before I fully embrace anything like that, but it is literally the same thing EA, Capcom and Ubisoft are doing right now.

kayos90

I think we all know they had some mismanagement. I admitted as much to you in this thread already. It's on record and no one is really debating it.

But I think they can turn things around. And honestly, I do put them on Ubisoft's level. If SQEX had the sales numbers that Ubisoft does, they could keep putting out games just fine with teams of 700 people making them. Ubisoft does almost the same thing. AC 1, AC2, AC2-2, AC2-3, AC3, AC3-2 (Liberation), AC3-3 (AC IV). Splinter Cell Convinction, Conviction 2 (Blacklist). And on and on.

They both put out more games than almost anyone if you count their total releases. It's not a total coincidence that they just unveiled a cloud gaming partnership two days ago.

SQEX can do better in the future, and they need to. But it doesn't mean they're entirely incompetent and dead, and have no redeeming features. ARR was made in 2 years, which is pretty damn fast. XIII-2 and LR both made fast as well. Luminous is more streamlined. PS4 is easier to develop on. There are lots of signs of reform. They just need Ubisoft level sales, or they won't be able to make those games.

You're speculating and hoping as much as everyone else is in this thread. There are a lot of driveby posts in this thread, yes, I recognize that. Just dismiss them. There are people who sit on the opposite side of the spectrum because of SE's track record, just like you sit on one side based on whatever hopeful perspective you're looking through. Everyone here has a right to their thoughts an opinions. Downplaying what people are saying when you're speculating just like anyone else is a low blow. This goes double for famassu since he needs the feel to answer every single post and act like an apologist.

That guy with the dog avatar lives in fantasy land. lol Talk about a guy who has no idea how game development and business works. Trying to excuse SE for being a bad company.

Anyway. Besides the crap games, SE biggest problem comes down to arrogance. The refusal to listen to fans thinking they know better, the refusal to use a graphics engine they themselves did not develop, the belief they could create great games without talented staff, the refusal to appeal to audiences outside of their own country. They want to be a Japanese company and they will die as a Japanese Company.

They are a terribly mismanaged and arrogant company. They deserve everything that's coming to them.

When you're relying on the guy directed fuckin Advent Children to save your company you know it's not going to end well. What a joke.

VandalD

Eidos going online could be okay, but the news is a letdown for me until they've proven they can pull it off. I'd still much prefer a good single player game, maybe with two player co-op. Nosgoth looks like it won't appeal to me at all, which is sad as someone who likes the series. Games like Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs, and Just Cause 2 were the best things to come out of Square Enix this generation. I have no excitement for smartphone games, particularly if they continue the bare bones support combined with higher costs relative to other games.

injurai

Banned
That guy with the dog avatar lives in fantasy land. lol Talk about a guy who has no idea how game development and business works. Trying to excuse SE for being a bad company.

Anyway. Besides the crap games, SE biggest problem comes down to arrogance. The refusal to listen to fans thinking they know better, the refusal to use a graphics engine they themselves did not develop, the belief they could create great games without talented staff, the refusal to appeal to audiences outside of their own country. They want to be a Japanese company and they will die as a Japanese Company.

They are a terribly mismanaged and arrogant company. They deserve everything that's coming to them.

When you're relying on the guy directed fuckin Advent Children to save your company you know it's not going to end well. What a joke.

From what I can tell this is exactly it. There is a lot Nationalism and Ethnocentrism that exists in the Japanese Business world. I know that distrust of foreign decisions and the fear of them gaining influence at the expense of the Japanese market has always been a sticking point that limits these companies operations. It spelled deep trouble with Sega, it's been historically and Issue at Nintendo, and most notably Square is really struggling.

Shinta

Banned
Downplaying what people are saying when you're speculating just like anyone else is a low blow. This goes double for famassu since he needs the feel to answer every single post and act like an apologist.
When someone says something massively hyperbolic, the only path towards reason is some level of downplaying. Not all opinions are created equal. Everyone has a right to theirs, but they don't all deserve equal respect.

I just think it would be nice if even 50% of the people posting were able to look at this somewhat logically, instead of just literally declaring that the sky is falling. Hell, I'd take 20%.

And if your opinion actually truly is that the sky is falling, maybe back it up with ... reasons? I'm not talking about your posts, which are fine.

Also, part of my reasoning in this thread is that all these hyperbolic posts actually do contribute to decreased sales, to brand damage, and to lack of interest in SQEX games. When is anyone going to finally try and stand up and stop this massively hyperbolic smear campaign that's lasted for over 4 years? When they exit the video games business altogether? We've all looked the other way since XIII released. The hate never stops, and logic never sets in. The online hate and exaggeration just keeps getting worse, and more people pile on because its the cool thing to do.

People who label themselves "SQEX fans" should maybe consider defending the brand even a tiny bit instead of waging a non-stop campaign of exaggeration and brand destruction. It just seems logical, if you want SQEX to continue to make financially viable games that sell.

The title is dishonest. I don't see anything saying that says that their Japanese studio will only focus on smartphone games, and we already know that isn't true.

But of course that'll never stop people from creating more opportunities to complain about SE.

When someone says something massively hyperbolic, the only path towards reason is some level of downplaying. Not all opinions are created equal. Everyone has a right to theirs, but they don't all deserve equal respect.

I just think it would be nice if even 50% of the people posting were able to look at this somewhat logically, instead of just literally declaring that the sky is falling. Hell, I'd take 20%.

And if your opinion actually truly is that the sky is falling, maybe back it up with ... reasons? I'm not talking about your posts, which are fine.

Also, part of my reasoning in this thread is that all these hyperbolic posts actually do contribute to decreased sales, to brand damage, and to lack of interest in SQEX games. When is anyone going to finally try and stand up and stop this massively hyperbolic smear campaign that's lasted for over 4 years? When they exit the video games business altogether? We've all looked the other way since XIII released. The hate never stops, and logic never sets in. The online hate and exaggeration just keeps getting worse, and more people pile on because its the cool thing to do.

People who label themselves "SQEX fans" should maybe consider defending the brand even a tiny bit instead of waging a non-stop campaign of exaggeration and brand destruction. It just seems logical, if you want SQEX to continue to make financially viable games that sell.

This smear campaign started with the Western-biased "journalists," and has become so ingrained in gamer culture that the same people calling the journalists out now for their obvious Microsoft bias continue to bash SE and other Japanese studios without even realizing the source of both are one and the same.

Goli

I just think it would be nice if even 50% of the people posting were able to look at this somewhat logically, instead of just literally declaring that the sky is falling.

Also, part of my reasoning in this thread is that all these hyperbolic posts actually do contribute to decreased sales, to brand damage, and to lack of interest in SQEX games. When is anyone going to finally try and stand up and stop this massively hyperbolic smear campaign that's lasted for over 4 years? When they exit the video games business altogether? We've all looked the other way since XIII released. The hate never stops, and logic never sets in. It just keeps getting worse, and more people pile on because its the cool thing to do.

I don't think there are many people who consider themselves fans of them because they don't like what they've done lately, so... obviously there's not gonna be a lot of people defending them?
All the "damage" is a thing they've done to themselves, though personally I don't think it's damage, they're just going with the current market trends and some people don't like it and exaggerate everything and then fill threads like this with useless gifs and one word posts, which is annoying but there's not much you can do to stop them anyway.

SE has put out much better games than the generic AAA garbage Ubisoft and EA churn out, both in the past and now.

If you're gonna use that argument, at least use a better publisher as an example. One that actually has decent output.

Shinta

Banned
This smear campaign started with the Western-biased "journalists," and has become so ingrained in gamer culture that the same people calling the journalists out now for their obvious Microsoft bias continue to bash SE and other Japanese studios without even realizing the source of both are one and the same.

100% nailed it. Totally agree. I've been thinking the same thing.

Faustek

Their move to "online enabled games" has a lot to convince me before I fully embrace anything like that, but it is literally the same thing EA, Capcom and Ubisoft are doing right now.

Honestly, I do agree to certain degree to what you and Famassu are saying. Doesn't mean I like it.

We can all see how logical it is for SE to embrace a digital future(Project Flare). We're going that way anyway. But it's a effing travesty. We won't own our games anymore(consumer rights). We won't be able to collect games anymore(new). They will be regulated to tablets/Smartphones/iOS/SmartTvs and nowhere near a dedicated Console/handheld. Sure if the SmartTvs(Apple/Google) actually step up their games and start offering to a wider variety of devices without stupid ad-hoc devices that are just buyable stateside, UK, Germany, France, Spain or in Japan it will work. But it will never be the same feeling. And not to mention, who is to decide that your favorite game doesn't net the profits these companies wished for? How long before they Axe it and to hell to us that loved it.

Shinta

Banned
Honestly, I do agree to certain degree to what you and Famassu are saying. Doesn't mean I like it.

We can all see how logical it is for SE to embrace a digital future(Project Flare). We're going that way anyway. But it's a effing travesty. We won't own our games anymore(consumer rights). We won't be able to collect games anymore(new).
I share the same concerns, completely.

If anything, threads like this show how ignorant the supposed "enthusiasts" continue to be.

Not a single SE thread exist without scores of stupidity and ignorance. Even the mods here are joyfully carrying on with the smear campaign.

It's embarrassing.

100% nailed it. Totally agree. I've been thinking the same thing.

You're the same Shinta from Kotaku right?

You were like the only poster there I liked before abandoning that site. Always enjoyed you clearing up all the misinformation that was being spread there.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Wow. Basically the end of SquareEnix. We are probably going to lose a bunch of Japanese third party publishers to mobile and other platforms this gen.

kayos90

SE has put out much better games than the generic AAA garbage Ubisoft and EA churn out, both in the past and now.

If you're gonna use that argument, at least use a better publisher as an example. One that actually has decent output.

I used these publishers because they were what was put forth initially. Also, their games are better than SE's console output whether it be sales or metacritic. Don't randomly come into a conversation and act like a jerk. Look at the history of the conversation and add something insightful instead of throwing out your opinions.

If people want to see more SQEX console games, buy Lightning Returns, FFXIV: ARR, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Drakengard 3, Thief, FFXV and KH3. If they want to see more portable games, but FFX and X-2 on Vita, and Bravely Default. They've said publicly that they'll continue with niche games like Drakengard if they are viable. They've said publicly they'll continue with big budget games like FFXV. They've said publicly they'll consider FFXII HD if it sells.

Why is all this "SQEX is dead" talk tolerated so easily? It's just mind numbing.

But most people don't want to see more games like Lightning Returns.

I see them announcing things like this and hear the death knell of the company that made FF Tactics, IV, VI, VII, and IX; Dragon Quest VIII and IX; and even TWEWY.
With Square's current attitude, games like those are not in the cards anymore and the only thing throwing money at Theatrhythm, HD remakes, or Lightning games will accomplish is getting more games like that. But they'll run out of games to port and take music from one day and eventually even Toriyama will get sick of Lightning.

This insane "buy things you don't want so that maybe something you do want will come out" attitude is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen in this industry.

"Buy FFXIII games if you want them to stop making them and start making good games!"
"Buy terrible Wii U ports if you want companies to start putting effort into good ones!"

It's kind of disgusting, to be honest.

Bravely Default (western gimped IAP edition!) and FFXV are Square-Enix's very last chance with me and show every sign of being the last games of their kind from the company (minus their cash-in sequels).

Top Bottom