• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's new plan: Eidos focus = online games; Japan accelerating work on phones

Toth

Not the phones themselves, just the un-proportional number of core games shoe-horned and forced on cellphones while more viable hardware's ignored. (Or phones will catch up and actually figure out how to offer a proper gaming experience. My money's on worthwhile titles moving on to more worthwhile hardware instead of trying to compete with crap like Candy Crush)

Just cause it's a good MMO, doesn't mean it's acceptable to passively sneak it off as a new, offline FF.

That does not change the fact that it is one of the deepest FF in the entire series. It is also the most dynamic one. As the game evolved, it became as symbolic of a 'Final Fantasy' as possible with offline iterations.

Tabris

And then KH3 ... then XV-2 ... then XVI ... and on. They aren't giving up on console games.

Where's the proof? Except cashing in on FFXIII development done before their change of direction, where has their console commitment been? Unless KH3 and FFXV is an absolutely huge success, they are done.

Dark_castle

Just realized I haven't enjoyed a game created by SE later than 2001 (FFXI).

Can't believe that's over a decade ago. I guess FFX is really when they started spiraling down. The magic has been gone for a long time.

What ever happened to the real FF dudes who made Lost Odyssey?

You mean the game that takes 5 hours to start a battle?

Dark_castle

I'm way beyond hoping either of those games will be good, at this point. Especially FFXV.

Would love to be surprised, but there's no hype left in me for mainline Final Fantasy.

If you buy FFXV, you can explore this locale.
XV_Kingdom.png

If you buy FFXV, you can explore this locale.
XV_Kingdom.png

Oh FINAL FANTASY XV... how badly we your gaming fans need you to come out.

I think so many people want to set the expectation to be disappointed by FFXV because they want to set the bar low for the game so it CAN exceed their expectations, as backwards as that sounds. However my expectations don't move because I am hyped. My expectations have always been: "Be better than XIII". I am sure it will clear that bar.

Like I have always said before, I love Shakespearean literature and plays. I am a big fan of looking at the inside of monarchies like in The Tutors. And I love FINAL FANTASY and dark fantasy. I also trust Nomura implicitly. Mix all that together with a more than capable writer and team and you have me sold.

Edit:
Final-Fantasy-XV.jpg

Just a beautiful looking game! (Not a scan or has watermarks from what I can tell)

More like run along controlled roads that don't let you explore the locale, if the way they handle KH is any indication.

Final-Fantasy-XV-Screenshot.jpg

I dont know... I see a pretty large city. Why make a mini map like that if you cant walk around it?

Also KH3D and BbS and big winding levels that made them feel like actual towns and such.

paul187

That is really underwhelming. Those sections look so barren and nothing like the other sections shown.

No way will they let you freely walk around anything that will resemble this when the game comes out. It will be very controlled and scripted. The other screen with the mini map can be just smoke and mirrors. If they have that much of the city planed out why not show off more then a few set pieces. Going by that video you posted the open exploration looks very barren. It looks like filler for the next set piece scripted sequence.

Oh FINAL FANTASY XV... how badly we your gaming fans need you to come out.

I think so many people want to set the expectation to be disappointed by FFXV because they want to set the bar low for the game so it CAN exceed their expectations, as backwards as that sounds. However my expectations don't move because I am hyped. My expectations have always been: "Be better than XIII". I am sure it will clear that bar.

Like I have always said before, I love Shakespearean literature and plays. I am a big fan of looking at the inside of monarchies like in The Tutors. And I love FINAL FANTASY and dark fantasy. I also trust Nomura implicitly. Mix all that together with a more than capable writer and team and you have me sold.

Edit:
Final-Fantasy-XV.jpg

Just a beautiful looking game! (Not a scan or has watermarks from what I can tell)

This game's pretty much gonna either restore FF to former glory, or kill it off for good.

Dark_castle

That is really underwhelming. Those sections look so barren and nothing like the other sections shown.

No way will they let you freely walk around anything that will resemble this when the game comes out. It will be very controlled and scripted. The other screen with the mini map can be just smoke and mirrors. If they have that much of the city planed out why not show off more then a few set pieces. Going by that video you posted the open exploration looks very barren. It looks like filler for the next set piece scripted sequence.

Because they ARE barren? Plus, they were from an older build. The texture, the lighting, the fidelity and object placement will only improve from there and some. Essentially I posted it to address your previous remark about 'running along controlled roads'.

Oh okay, screen with the minimap is smoke and mirrors. Who cares if it's shown in the damn screen. It's just smoke and mirrors. My eyes are deceiving my brain. Thank you Genius.

Dark_castle

I so can't wait Lightning Returns to be released so that we would FINALLY see how large the overworld of FFXV would be.

But nevermind, it's all going to be smoke and mirrors. My bad.

Because they only have 3-4 minutes to get across the basic premise of the game and gameplay while also making it look like an exciting game. They are not at a stage in marketing where they can explore the entire city. It would be pretty weird for them to show a video of just exploration of the game before a main trailer. Let's not play dumb.

Also the "barren exploration" that was back in 2010 and was a technology prototype for the game. The 2011 trailer showed much more "world map/zones" exploration.

Don't put the cart in front of the horse.

Dark_castle

Because they only have 3-4 minutes to get across the basic premise of the game and gameplay while also making it look like an exciting game. They are not at a stage in marketing where they can explore the entire city. It would be pretty weird for them to show a video of just exploration of the game before a main trailer. Let's not play dumb.

Also the "barren exploration" that was back in 2010 and was a technology prototype for the game. The 2011 trailer showed much more "world map/zones" exploration.

4d47c8dd_Versus3-(13).jpg

I get a Dragon Quest VIII vibe.

Nerokis

I missed this slide:

In the six-month period ended September 30, 2013, the Square Enix group's operating income, ordinary income, and net income are expected to exceed respectively the range of the Company’s consolidated results forecasts. This is mainly attributable to the following reasons: net sales in some areas exceeded their plan such as distribution of software titles for consumer game consoles in North America, software sales of "FINAL FANTASY XIV:A REALM REBORN," a multiplayer online role playing game released in August 2013, and sales of arcade game machines; and the Company is making continued group-wide efforts of cost reduction. Therefore, the Company has decided to revise its previous consolidated results forecasts.

It seems SE went from an expected loss to an expected profit during that period, thanks in part to ARR and higher than expected sales of console titles in NA. From my very sleepy vantage point, this is pretty good news: SE having lowered their expectations for these products implies a newfound realism, but also a loss of faith in the non-mobile/browser sector; so while that's a mixed sign, it's still nice to see SE beat expectations for once, and more results like this could possibly pull SE toward a better equilibrium (especially considering they seem highly reactionary to trends right now).

We'll see how long this lasts. (Frankly, right now, my mental faculties are too dim to fully comprehend what "this" even is.)

4d47c8dd_Versus3-(13).jpg

I get a Dragon Quest VIII vibe.

I can't wait for us to get something substantial about this game. A more confident (less scripted) trailer that showcases an ambitious scope, depth of interaction, and a general FF vibe would do a lot to change the narrative around SE, I think.

paul187

Because they ARE barren? Plus, they were from an older build. The texture, the lighting, the fidelity and object placement will only improve from there and some. Essentially I posted it to address your previous remark about 'running along controlled roads'.

Oh okay, screen with the minimap is smoke and mirrors. Who cares if it's shown in the damn screen. It's just smoke and mirrors. My eyes are deceiving my brain. Thank you Genius.

Relax dude. That was my first post in this thread so calm down.

The reason why I said it could be smoke and mirrors is because they have only shown us closed set piece areas. Nothing so far shown shows us that we will be able to explore huge areas freely. I commented because the video you posted to prove that there is open world elements was very empty and lifeless.

I'm browsing on mobile so I didn't see the date the video was posted.

This is a game that was announced before the PS3 even came out. So who knows how far along in development it is. Going off what they shown at E3, it doesn't look like open world exploration will be a focus of this game. It looks like a very guided experience.

Showing off some exploration wouldn't have taken that long, 5-10 seconds max. The fact that they chose not to show that off suggests to me that exploration isn't a priority for them.

Relax dude. That was my first post in this thread so calm down.

The reason why I said it could be smoke and mirrors is because they have only shown us closed set piece areas. Nothing so far shown shows us that we will be able to explore huge areas freely. I commented because the video you posted to prove that there is open world elements was very empty and lifeless.

I'm browsing on mobile so I didn't see the date the video was posted.

This is a game that was announced before the PS3 even came out. So who knows how far along in development it is. Going off what they shown at E3, it doesn't look like open world exploration will be a focus of this game. It looks like a very guided experience.

Showing off some exploration wouldn't have taken that long, 5-10 seconds max. The fact that they chose not to show that off suggests to me that exploration isn't a priority for them.

In their defense they were showing off a boss fight. (Every part of the gameplay in the trailer in that water city (Accordo) was apart of the Leviathen boss battle)

Anything shown in Lucis was an area in front of the castle fighting iron giants, soldiers and behemoths.

I think expiration is hard to show off. They tried to show it off in the 2011 trailers but it just seemed like a bunch of open areas that Noctis was running through. There are open areas and it is a focus of the design so don't worry.

Set pieces are in every FF and it's something to be expected. IV-XIII have all had these moments. Saying they are showing set pieces doesn't mean anything bad. What you are saying is what everyone else (including me) is saying, "we want to see more". But I am not jumping conclusions about what the game has and what it doesn't have. Because the devs have said its in, the evidence points to the fact that it's in, so I really don't think it's something to be worried or get upset about.

RaikuHebi

Banned
More like run along controlled roads that don't let you explore the locale, if the way they handle KH is any indication.
Allay your fears. Nomura said it will be an open world.

dramatis

I suspect neither of us played the handheld KH games, but if you played KH1 and KH2, you probably have your misgivings about level design from KH2. However, I think level design in KH1 is great; if they do levels like KH1 as opposed to KH2 (given the answers regarding the handheld entries I think they might), then you have less to worry about.

Dark_castle

I suspect neither of us played the handheld KH games, but if you played KH1 and KH2, you probably have your misgivings about level design from KH2. However, I think level design in KH1 is great; if they do levels like KH1 as opposed to KH2 (given the answers regarding the handheld entries I think they might), then you have less to worry about.

KH1 level design is indeed better than that of KH2, but unless I have mistaken, FFXV is supposed to be more like taking the world map from the PSX era FF and transform them into an overworld that is reminiscent to the likes of DQVIII/FFXII/Xenoblade, that is a world map is to scale with our characters rather than top down view.

KtSlime

Not the phones themselves, just the un-proportional number of core games shoe-horned and forced on cellphones while more viable hardware's ignored.

How is an RPG any more shoe-horned on a smartphone than it is on a console? Go pull out a DM Guide and dice and play RPGs as they were intended.

SE is doing fine with their smartphone plan, and they will continue to do so, frankly I don't care if they stop their releases to the US, that's their right, the US ain't the center of the universe, they do not need to cater to us.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I dont know... I see a pretty large city. Why make a mini map like that if you cant walk around it?

Also KH3D and BbS and big winding levels that made them feel like actual towns and such.

Maybe it will be like Xenoblade where if you want to go somewhere you can likely go there. Even if it is out of your way to do so and holds no relevance whatsoever.

TnK

@PsychoNinja: FFXV looks like it has all the elements of a an excellent FF, and we have not seen that imo since FFIX (and to some extent FFX). The only problem that it is not giving me either hope or hype is that there has not been a single trailer showing off the game in its true form. The trailer shown were all target renders, hence, proper gameplay has not been revealed yet. That, and we do not know the what the story will be exactly, as there are not trailers with regard to that.

Thing is, this is the most FF I have been hyped about, and wanted to play it ever since 2006. But given that we still haven't seen any concrete gameplay videos, and they are this long down the road makes me weary whether this game will be great or not. Don't get me wrong, I really want this game to do well, but SE's past history does not allow me to know that I will get an excellent product in my hands.

Couldn't even give us the friggin FFVII remake before they decided to go belly up!!! Well I mean we will get it on iOS im sure.

dramatis

KH1 level design is indeed better than that of KH2, but unless I have mistaken, FFXV is supposed to be more like taking the world map from the PSX era FF and transform them into an overworld that is reminiscent to the likes of DQVIII/FFXII/Xenoblade, that is a world map is to scale with our characters rather than top down view.
I'm not too optimistic about them being about to make a world on that scale with the level of detail that the hopeful are probably frothing for. In the end, someone will complain that it is big and void of things to actually do, so I actually don't mind if they make the levels more cozy.

For instance, Traverse Town is amazing in KH1, with many hidden secrets and passages that connected the areas to each other in different and interesting ways. Personally, I wouldn't mind that the levels are smaller if the designers are clever with them.

How is an RPG any more shoe-horned on a smartphone than it is on a console? Go pull out a DM Guide and dice and play RPGs as they were intended.

SE is doing fine with their smartphone plan, and they will continue to do so, frankly I don't care if they stop their releases to the US, that's their right, the US ain't the center of the universe, they do not need to cater to us.

Well most people don't care how well Squeenix is doing if they aren't putting out quality console games. Glad you do.

Maybe it will be like Xenoblade where if you want to go somewhere you can likely go there. Even if it is out of your way to do so and holds no relevance whatsoever.

Maybe. That's what the people have demanded. Maybe if you "go there" there will probably be chests and items if you actually go around the city. Maybe side quests are spread about the city too.

@PsychoNinja: FFXV looks like it has all the elements of a an excellent FF, and we have not seen that imo since FFIX (and to some extent FFX). The only problem that it is not giving me either hope or hype is that there has not been a single trailer showing off the game in its true form. The trailer shown were all target renders, hence, proper gameplay has not been revealed yet. That, and we do not know the what the story will be exactly, as there are not trailers with regard to that.

Thing is, this is the most FF I have been hyped about, and wanted to play it ever since 2006. But given that we still haven't seen any concrete gameplay videos, and they are this long down the road makes me weary whether this game will be great or not. Don't get me wrong, I really want this game to do well, but SE's past history does not allow me to know that I will get an excellent product in my hands.

The bolded is FUD that has been perpetuated by ill informed people.

That being said I agree with most of what you said. I believe at worst we will get a solid game and nothing more. However I have absolute faith in this team and Nomura. Toriyama had terrible vision and didn't know how to lead the team as clearly evident in the postmortem he wrote for XIII.

Nomura has always known what he wants in his games and knows how to go about making that happen. He pushes his teams to do the very best.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Maybe. That's what the people have demanded. Maybe if you "go there" there will probably be chests and items if you actually go around the city. Maybe side quests are spread about the city too.

And maybe like in Xenoblade you'll get EXP for just going there.

KtSlime

Well most people don't care how well Squeenix is doing if they aren't putting out quality console games. Glad you do.

I speak and read japanese, have an iphone, and buy their games. What's good for them is good for me. I approve of their reaffirmed dedication to the platform. Sorry you don't.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Hollow Bastion is still the pinnacle of level design for the series for me.

Narroo

Oh...oh YES. I've said this for awhile (on other forums) but no one ever seems to believe me.

KH1 had actual levels.

KH2 had set-pieces for shallow combat and terrible cutscenes.

Top Bottom