• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX: Deadly Descents - 2011 - Trailer - [Update: Website & Description]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

It's tricky to rock a rhyme
To rock a rhyme that's right on time
It's tricky tricky tricky tricky tricky
It's tricky to rock a rhyme
To rock a rhyme that's right on time
It's tricky tricky tricky tricky tricky tricky

eddie-o.gif

:(

RIP SSX as I know it, it was a good 5 to 6 years of awesome fun.

Now to readjust my expectations, but I can't express my initial disapointment from first impressions.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Suairyu said:
If the game returned to its pre-Tricky root(s) where the focus is on tight, high-framerate arcade snowboarding action rather than impossibly huge tricks with a Sonic the Hedgehog speed boost then I might be okay with this. Just so long as it had the colour (not looking likely) and the personality in the characters (also not looking likely).

Waiting and seeing.

And, fuck-it, it's current gen... it's not going to be high framerate at all, is it?

Speed boosting was in SSX as far as I remember.
Tricky also had tight, high framerate arcade snowboarding! Just with impossibly huge tricks, though its more fun to do the races without getting unlimited boost.

Suairyu

Banned
HK-47 said:
Speed boosting was in SSX as far as I remember.
You may be entirely right about the original SSX having a speed boost, it just sticks out more in my mind for Tricky because of how ridiculous everything else was in that game. I honestly believe the original was the better game. The series never quite recaptured that pure arcade feeling, though it improved in other areas (SSX 3's mountain!).

The above is probably my upbringing on SEGA arcade games talking, though.

brohmbel said:
I just watched the trailer again. This has probably been mentioned already, but why does the boarder launch into a couple of tricks after all that tense military yelling and tumbling? Maybe he's dodging bullets?
Because it's an SSX game and maybe, despite all the gloom and doom here, they're going after some of the same general concepts- crazy air and tricks?

Fladam

charlequin said:
However, I would expect it to at least attempt to hew to the same basic concepts: over-the-top, elaborate, fun, colorful, bright, exciting, playful, edgy, fast. I think there'd be a lot of room within those adjectives to create something that looks very little like SSX Tricky but is still appealing on some of the same level.
charlequin said:
over-the-top, elaborate, fun, colorful, bright, exciting, playful, edgy, fast
charlequin said:

:( That teaser was practically in black and white.

Calling it a teaser in the hopes they're holding back my hopes and dreams for an appropriate SSX trailer

wazoo

brohmbel said:
I'm with you guys in thinking the SSX brand that we're used to is an awkward fit for this new game, but, honestly, EA couldn't have done anything else. Snowboarding games aren't popular mega-sellers anymore (if they ever were).

The Ubi Soft Wii games, at least the first one, was a million seller.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
This trailer disgusts me, I'm actually SHOCKED that the guy didn't quip "I NEED BACKUP" during it.

Thank Christ for portables and digital distribution this generation.

Sipowicz

Banned
wazoo said:
The Ubi Soft Wii games, at least the first one, was a million seller.

that's ubisoft though, a competent company. it was a quality game too

if Ubisoft had published Mirror's Edge it would have sold shitloads and we'd be on the third sequel now. that would have been awesome

Did anyone notice that it said "Elise" on the side of the extreme mountain attack chopper that the dude jumped out of? It even kinda had her picture...

SHE'D BETTER BE PLAYABLE IN GAME... In her Queen Bee outfit, no less...

epmode

We Are Ninja said:
Did anyone notice that it said "Elise" on the side of the extreme mountain attack chopper that the dude jumped out of? It even kinda had her picture...

SHE'D BETTER BE PLAYABLE IN GAME...
I have a feeling that the Elise chopper is just a sad little nod to fans of the old games.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
epmode said:
I have a feeling that the Elise chopper is just a sad little nod to fans of the old games.
Pretty much, they'll also have a sniper rifle named Psymon and this guys' daughter (who was kidnapped by terrorists and taken to their mountain stronghold) will be named Kaori.

Teflon

Mr. B Natural said:
The idea of a survival snowboarding game with the tone of cliffhanger or something is kinda neat... but why call it SSX?
Because Tony Hawk's Amped Shaun White's Presents Shredding Down Death Mountain won't fit on the box

All I wanted was a fluid, sexy, stylish yet "normal" snowboarding game...like Tricky or SSX3.

Why didn't they learn from mistakes? Why the gimmicks? On Tour had the pop punk gimmick, Blur had the kiddie/chibi style gimmick...

...I'll just pop in my SSX/Tricky/SSX3 discs then.

-PXG-

WaltJay said:
I can't wait for the NBA Street reboot where you play an ATF agent that has to infiltrate a cocaine operation by going undercover as a streetball player trying out for the crime syndicate sponsored team.

Motherfucker, are you trying to make me have a stroke? If so, you're doing a damn good job.

Don't give these dumbasses ANY ideas. They're most likely gonna fuck this up. Please, leave NBA Street alone.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Mr. B Natural said:
The idea of a survival snowboarding game with the tone of cliffhanger or something is kinda neat... but why call it SSX?
I agree. The game they showed doesn't look bad to me. It seems like an okay idea. But this is definitely not SSX.
ELISE IS A HELICOPTER!!!

It's almost as if they've ignored the pleas of all the chatter from fans these past years crossing their fingers for a return to the elegant yet attitude-driven style of Tricky/SSX3.

Fuck this generation.

Lijik

jetsetfluken said:
It's almost as if they've ignored the pleas of all the chatter from fans these past years crossing their fingers for a return to the elegant yet attitude-driven style of Tricky/SSX3.
Well look man, you know its tricky to rock a rhyme thats right on time.

Hopefully they got some French developers to slaughter this thing so they can blame it on someone overseas. Worked for FUEL and EndWar.

I think the new shelving is actually releasing via some shady non-English-speaking upstart and then blaming everything on translation.

Bgamer90

Banned
Anyone remember the "untracked" levels in the earlier SSX games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER3srQBzwNE&feature=player_embedded

...And/or the final peak events in SSX 3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMiq5Wi2dxs&feature=player_embedded

While I completely understand ones saying SSX Deadly Descents seems to be a lot more serious, I don't understand ones saying that "SSX is dead" due to the 30 second trailer especially since past SSX games had helicopters, avalanches, and minimalistic/realistic snow courses. SSX Tricky was really cartoony and over the top but SSX 3 wasn't and toned things down. Seems though that many think that SSX Tricky = How the whole SSX franchise was previously.

Ones should just chill it out a bit until we see some gameplay footage and have more info. They already said that the game will still have the ssx gameplay we know & love (and you can somewhat see that with the way the character moves in the trailer) along with similar events so yeah... no need to get all bent out of shape yet.

Anyway, let's beg enough to have them make a SSX-SSX Tricky-SSX3 HD compilation for PS3.
And SSX3 online mode returns working and updated.

Let's make it happen.

epmode

Bgamer90 said:
Ones should just chill it out a bit until we see some gameplay footage and have more info.
Even if the gameplay is identical (of which I'm doubtful,) the goofy attitude and music is a big part of the awesome. And that stuff was surely in SSX3 as well as Tricky.

The pure mountain levels you mentioned were excellent but they're more of an anomaly than anything else; A nice change of pace.

We'll see, I guess.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i've literally never said i hate this gen buy i'm sayin it now! well specifically cod and all the bullshit it spawned

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Is that guy in the trailer going to fly down a Himalayan mountain using that extra bit of fabric in his overcoat?

Amneisac

It's a little sad, it's like so many developers have been trying to recapture that CoD broslime and repackage it into their own games. Finally people have gotten sick of it and now this game is like the last dude to finish up in a big Dudebro orgy and everyone else is kind of over it now and just standing around watching him jack off.

Too much?

Bgamer90 said:
SSX Tricky was really cartoony and over the top but SSX 3 wasn't and toned things down. Seems though that many think that SSX Tricky = How the whole SSX franchise was previously.
While SSX3 had this at the peak, as a few have suggested can be what the trailer is hinting at:
ssx-3-image1.jpg

But that eventually linked to:
ssx3_1.jpg

ssx3_002-large.jpg

OR, See the video... SSX3 Metro City

I don't see Tom Clancy's SSX style leading into that type of setting, or track style.

Bgamer90

Banned
SSX 3 also had colorful events, that's true, but the game was advertised for the intense/extreme mountain peak events. I remember the first SSX 3 trailer pretty well.

So while SSX Deadly Descents does seem to be of a more serious nature, I still think we should wait until we see actual gameplay before making final judgments. EA Canada is definitely listening to the feedback. I've been reading their facebook messages and it seems that the old SSX characters will be coming back along with the same type of (race) events that the SSX series was/is known for.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
If you get a streak of 3 tricks you can call in a choppa to shoot down your opponent's choppa before he backflips out of it.

Najaf

This has been done before. Anyone remember the Extreme Ops movie?

extreme-ops-poster.jpg

From the wiki:

A commercial director and three extreme sports enthusiasts took their trip to a distant mountain retreat for seasonal practice and stunt filming. They stumble upon an intricate group of terrorists plotting an attack against them. The terrorists soon find out they had been watched by the group and rush swiftly to kill the witnesses. Now racing for their lives against helicopters and expert assassins, they must put their quick extreme sports skills to the test in order to escape the mountain.

Trailer.

That movie was beyond terrible. Please don't ruin my SSX.

From their Facebook page:

SSX Deadly Descents includes many of the features that has made SSX one of the most critically acclaimed videogame franchises of all time – that includes racing and trick elements. This is also an evolution on the franchise and it’s a game about survival against the treacherous elements of some of the world’s harshest mountain ranges. SSX will always be about snowboarding and style, but this game advances the franchise into a whole new world of adventure.
Thanks Christopher and others that are enthused and excited about the next installment. We hope more people will remain optimistic that the team in Vancouver will be able to be creative with the game and also remain true to the series for its fans.
We appreciate the feedback, and yes, we are reading it all very carefully. As the first SSX on this current console generation, we wanted to create a snowboarding experience that has never before been explored in videogames. We wanted take... it to a place outside the safe, familiar settings that gamers have become accustomed to in the genre, and tap into the raw intensity and excitement that lies at the core of the sport. We will of course retain the racing and trick elements that made SSX fun and accessible for all types of gamers especially our vocal ones here, but we feel all our consumers will be excited to discover a more visceral snowboarding experience.
As far as I'm concerned they're handling the rage pretty well. Man sometimes I'm glad I'm not a game developer. You people are so hard to please! =P

InertiaXr

We Are Ninja said:
I traversed Peak 3's back country at least a hundred times, and each time it was sex. As a matter of fact, I think I'll fire up the PS3 and have a little Peak 3 sex right now...

Good luck, I've tried to play Tricky and 3 on my hardware BC ps3 last couple days and I can't get past about 20 minutes at a time before it freezes...

Fixed1979

Neuromancer said:
From their Facebook page:

As far as I'm concerned they're handling the rage pretty well. Man sometimes I'm glad I'm not a game developer. You people are so hard to please! =P

That doesn't say shit, all I read was "In SSX you could do races and tricks. In this SSX you can do races and tricks so why is everyone complaining?"

This may turn out to be a fine snowboard game, I have lots of faith in the Vancouver EA studio but in no way shape or form is this SSX. It's a cash in on the SSX name. The visuals, the characters and the controls have all been replaced...but you can still race, and you can still do tricks...fuck you EA.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Neuromancer said:
That's the thing... we really aren't at all. This situation would be different if SSX was a annual or biennial installment, but we haven't seen a real SSX in over half a decade. We want to be reminded of what this series stood for. I don't think it is wise for a developer to show off how different this one will be when we haven't seen a game in the series in a long time. That's what you need to do with the Call of Duty games or Madden games or Assassin's Creed games. It was a poor choice of the developers, and if they really understand what makes this franchise great, they are going to need to learn to show it more.

Basically, I don't think we needed this game to evolve the franchise. Who was clamoring for them to do something new in SSX? It's not like the market is oversaturated in these types of games.

Fixed1979 said:
That doesn't say shit, all I read was "In SSX you could do races and tricks. In this SSX you can do races and tricks so why is everyone complaining?"
Yeah, they said nothing about the over-the-top nature of the franchise... or the music. :( Just the very basics of it: racing and tricks.

Neuromancer said:

I do feel kind of bad for most of the people working on this (who are probably enthusiastic about the game they're actually making and didn't make the top-level decisions we're complaining about) but those statements certainly make it sound more, not less, likely that this'll be a "serious" and relatively non-"gonzo" skateboarding game focused more on "danger" than excitement.

Saying it has "racing and trick elements" isn't proof that it's true to the SSX series - they're going to have to do better than that to convince me.
"Survival against the treacherous elements", "visceral snowboarding experience" - that's not the SSX I wanted.

What's so bad about developing a true sequel anyway? We're hardly wading through SSX clones these days.

KaYotiX

Banned
I was so happy when i saw SSX on the VGAs UNTILL i saw how gritty and realistic it looks like it wants to be. WTF EA!

charlequin said:
I do feel kind of bad for most of the people working on this (who are probably enthusiastic about the game they're actually making and didn't make the top-level decisions we're complaining about) but those statements certainly make it sound more, not less, likely that this'll be a "serious" and relatively non-"gonzo" skateboarding game focused more on "danger" than excitement.
Yeah you're probably right about the decisions being made by the top. Well all we can do really is cross our fingers and hope for the best. It may not be the SSX game we wanted but it might still be really good.

Fantastical said:
Not the right kind of over-the-top. That was dudebro over-the-top.
Can someone explain to me what this even means in this context? I mean I was there for the original comment but now I have no idea. I've watched the trailer like 5 or 6 times, and I haven't seen a gun, or a beard, or anything.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
To be fair, when SSX first came out, ProtoGaf was complaining about how they had just taken "regular" Snowboarding and made it EXXXXTREEEEM!!!!

Neuromancer said:
Can someone explain to me what this even means in this context?

Military fetishism, pseudo-realistic violent/"dangerous" style, dark color palettes, serious tone, etc.

OuterWorldVoice said:
To be fair, when SSX first came out, ProtoGaf was complaining about how they had just taken "regular" Snowboarding and made it EXXXXTREEEEM!!!!

Well... those people were wrong. :lol Of course, the fact that they came home with their launch-era PS2s and played Summoner or Gungriffon Blaze instead of the one good launch title was probably punishment enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom