• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX: Deadly Descents - 2011 - Trailer - [Update: Website & Description]

Status
Not open for further replies.
We wanted take... it to a place outside the safe, familiar settings that gamers have become accustomed to in the genre, and tap into the raw intensity and excitement that lies at the core of the sport.

Mrbob said:
Can someone please translate what this sentence is supposed to mean?

It means they are taking the series back to its roots!

Bgamer90

Banned
AstroLad said:
and also changed . . . you know . . . everything they said about the game other than "don't worry dudes it will still have that ssx awesomeness [please buy this on the ssx name alone if you are an ssx fan]." amazing

I said the TRAILER.

Didn't say the info they gave about the game so far.

And again, what they are saying isn't too far off/different of how SSX 3 was advertised.

Bgamer90

Banned
914647_back.jpg

Explore the open mountain???

Survive backcountry hazards???

Gasp! That's not SSX!

Oh wait... SSX 3 was still a great name and known by many to be the best SSX even though it had many changes from the presentation/vibe of Tricky. Go figure...

Bgamer90 said:
914647_back.jpg

Gasp! That's not SSX!

Oh wait... SSX 3 was still a great name and known by many to be the best SSX even though it had many changes from the presentation/vibe of Tricky. Go figure...

wow, it looks so vibrant and colorful.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Bgamer90 said:
914647_back.jpg

Gasp! That's not SSX!

You're right...

ice_scrape_16_9b5lh.jpg

ssx3_101703_2!_640w.jpg

Practically the same game.

Bgamer90

Banned
Fantastical said:
You're right...

ice_scrape_16_9b5lh.jpg

ssx3_101703_2!_640w.jpg

Practically the same game.

That wasn't what I was getting at. What I was saying is that Ssx3 was advertised for it's extreme events even though the game had the same fun ssx gameplay we know/love.

So again for all we know, what was shown in the trailer could be how the last events in the game are (which could be why it said day 63) and/or the game gets more intense as you go along.

Guess I'm just different from most gamers and would rather base things on actual gameplay vids than 45 sec. Trailers.

Brashnir

Blakero said:
I really want to play me some SSX 3 right now! Is it backwards compatible for 360? Anyone know where I can get a cheap copy?

It's definitely BC, but I recall playing it a couple years back, and the framerate gets pretty spotty later in the game.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Bgamer90 said:
That wasn't what I was getting at. What I was saying is that Ssx3 was advertised for it's extreme events even though the game had the same fun ssx gameplay we know/love.

So again for all we know, what was shown in the trailer could be how the last events in the game are (which could be why it said day 63) and/or the game gets more intense as you go along.

Guess I'm just different from most gamers and would rather base things on actual gameplay vids than 45 sec. Trailers.
Don't get me wrong, I mean, I hope you're right... but this was a terrible first impression. I do have some hope though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bgamer90 said:
why are you even in this thread if you don't think it's right to comment on the direction of a series as expressed both in a video and by the developer? just to try to dyack anyone who has anything negative to say into silence?

Bgamer90 said:

EA released a trailer to introduce and represent the game, we react to it. The majority here aren't denying that the game could be enjoyable but we're disappointed and/or disgusted with the route SSX is now taking.

This is all valid.

sonicmj1

Fantastical said:
Yeah, I have a feeling if this turns out as we think it will and does poorly, EA will put the final nail in the SSX coffin. :(

Also, someone put the Tricky song with the DD trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qccPejditB8&feature=player_embedded

Made it look so much more fun. :p

If the trailer was released with that music, I'd be pumped for the game. But I'm not, because it wasn't.

SSX is a festival. It's not a survival test. It's giant personalities catching giant air and pulling giant tricks. There are fireworks, ridiculous colors, and party music. Everyone is having a good time, even if there's a lightning storm on the course or you're running away from an avalanche.

I loved SSX3. I loved the exaggerated course design, I loved the impossible uber tricks, I loved customizing my characters' outfits, I loved the cross-character banter, and I loved the feeling of carving through these conditions, boosted by good music that reacted to how I was doing, going fast and flying off huge jumps.

Deadly Descent seems to have the huge jumps and dangerous conditions, but if it's not going to be a party, I'm not sure I want to attend.

Steroyd

Bgamer90 said:

But all we've got to go by right now, is that trailer plus developers comments, both of which doesn't instill much confidence.

Equus Bellator Apex

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME

Bgamer90 said:

No, this is how SSX3 was advertised - the very first trailer for the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Z8sYFujJc

It's very accurate to how the game ended up, and it shows the vibrant colors, over-the-top characters and tricks, how totally non-serious it is. And we know that this one's a completely different game, EA said so in the description - it's about some hardcore team trying to ski impossible slopes, rather than a snowboarding festival where the world's top boarders get together to compete and challenge each other.

Bgamer90

Banned
AstroLad said:
why are you even in this thread if you don't think it's right to comment on the direction of a series as expressed both in a video and by the developer? just to try to dyack anyone who has anything negative to say into silence?

I'm not saying it's wrong to show concern about the game based on the trailer, but the whole "SSX is dead" type of statements are being made waaay too soon imo.

Dreamwriter said:
No, this is how SSX3 was advertised - the very first trailer for the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Z8sYFujJc

It's very accurate to how the game ended up, and it shows the vibrant colors, over-the-top characters and tricks, how totally non-serious it is. And we know that this one's a completely different game, EA said so in the description - it's about some hardcore team trying to ski impossible slopes, rather than a snowboarding festival where the world's top boarders get together to compete and challenge each other.

Compared to tricky though that video had much less vibrant colors on the tracks and showed "basic" snow mountain courses.

But that was the E3 trailer. I remember seeing other ads of the game talking about the intense events on peak 3 and the storms and how dangerous everything was.

EA did say that this SSX was going to be different in terms of it's nature but still have the same gameplay we all know/love from the previous SSX games. And that can somewhat be seen with the way the character was moving in the trailer, especially during the turns.

FYI, each SSX game had a different vibe to it. While SSX 3 was over the top, it didn't have the comic book/tokyo megaplex/wacky presentation that Tricky had. SSX 3 didn't have as many unique courses as the previous SSX games did, especially later on in the game. The later races in the game were dark and very intense having you race against avalanches while going through ice caves with parts of the ice breaking underneath you.

Like am I the only one that remembers the races in peak 2 & 3 being that way? Peak 1 in SSX3 was more reminiscent of how SSX Tricky was compared to the other peaks.

Bgamer90

Banned
bridegur said:
Man, it's a shame how far they've gotten away from the fun feel the series had.

I guess what I don't get is how that video showed the "fun feel/nature" that SSX was known for as much as a vid of SSX Tricky would show.

While SSX 3 and Tricky aren't "night and day" different, Tricky is definitely more of a "party" compared to how SSX 3 was with it's intense/dark events on peak 2 and 3.

Bgamer90 said:
But that was the E3 trailer. I remember seeing other ads of the game talking about the intense events on peak 3 and the storms and how dangerous everything was.
So? Those commercials weren't the very first trailer for the game. The one I linked to is. It's exactly equivalent to the Deadly Descents trailer, because it's the very first time the game was shown off; it's the teaser trailer that EA is using to show what the game is going to be like.

Just for fun, here's an early trailer for the original SSX

Bgamer90

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
So? Those commercials weren't the very first trailer for the game. The one I linked to is. It's exactly equivalent to the Deadly Descents trailer, because it's the very first time the game was shown off; it's the teaser trailer that EA is using to show what the game is going to be like.

What I'm saying though is that even though the game made mention of the intense/extreme backcountry tracks, the game still had the arcady SSX gameplay.

From the trailer, you can't really tell how the gameplay will be. What we seen in the trailer could have been one of the final events.

Nice. SSX was hands down the best launch PS2 game.

Bgamer90 said:
...SSX 3 didn't have as many unique courses as the previous SSX games did, especially later on in the game. The later races in the game were dark and very intense having you race against avalanches while going through ice caves with parts of the ice breaking underneath you.

Like am I the only one that remembers the races in peak 2 & 3 being that way? Peak 1 in SSX3 was more reminiscent of how SSX Tricky was compared to the other peaks.

I remember them to, and they were some of my favorite courses in the series. Peak 2's back country is one of my favorite "levels" in a game ever. The peak in the trailer is actually quite similar, the "feel" is all wrong. Think back to SSX3, as the heli-plane thing took you to your location, your character was chilling in the back, waiting to leisurely hop out of the aircraft as Atomika told you about the next song he was going to play...

There was no military-esque guy shouting, "Go, go, go, go, go!!!!!" as you dived out of the back of an attack chopper with you ninja scythes and batwings.

SSX has never taken itself seriously. Judging by the trailer, this game sure as hell does. On Tour, was meh enough. The series does not need SSX: Bad Company.

Azih

Maybe EA is trying the same thing with SSX as it did with NFS? Same brand ans genre but different subtitles and game styles?

Bgamer90 said:

I remember it and that's why after the initial "wow" factor, I didn't go back to 3 nearly as much as I did the first 2 games. Courses just weren't as fun for me.

Azih said:
Maybe EA is trying the same thing with SSX as it did with NFS? Same brand ans genre but different subtitles and game styles?
Maybe. I would not be surprised to see them try a few different game styles with this series, and see what sticks.

Princess Skittles said:
What's the over/under on retailer exclusive weapon packs?
I really don't think there are going to be weapons. That's just GAF being overdramatic.

However I fully expect them to hold legacy characters 'hostage' by way of retailer-exclusive preorders, as Mortal Komeback is doing. Something like:

Gamestop: Mac
Amazon: Elise
Best Buy: Moby

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Neuromancer said:
I really don't think there are going to be weapons. That's just GAF being overdramatic.
I don't know how you could view the trailer, the description ("the mountain isn’t the only danger players will face.") and the teaser site and think this isn't a very likely situation.

Princess Skittles said:
I don't know how you could view the trailer, the description ("the mountain isn’t the only danger players will face.") and the teaser site and think this isn't a very likely situation.
I think it's jumping to pretty extreme conclusions based off very little evidence. I'd be willing to make a friendly wager on it though!

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Very disappointed by the trailer and the premise.
I hope this is not going to end up like PoP where Warrior Within screwed up the previous game goodness. I really wish this is good, because there has been no good snowboarding game for ages.

Oh, Housemarque, please make another snowboarding game too.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I want Eddie. :(

I doubt there will be weapons, guys. That would be just a total abortion of the franchise. EA can't be that stupid... right?

Fantastical said:
I want Eddie. :(

I doubt there will be weapons, guys. That would be just a total abortion of the franchise. EA can't be that stupid... right?
I'm willing to bet someone here a copy of the game that there will be no weapons. I mean in the traditional sense, pistols, assault rifles, etc, that you as the player, actually wield. Offer stands until we get the first big previews come in. Anyone want to take me up on it?

Worst case scenario I can think of, would be they pull a NFS Hot Pursuit on us and have Mario Kartish style weapons (EMP, stuff like that) Mostly to slow down and irritate. I really hope not but that's all I can see them doing. Shooting other people as you snowboard down the mountain is just crazy talk.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I can't really see weapons, I think they are probably referring to either the elements or just the baddies you are supposed to escape from (who, in fairness, may very well have weapons -- it would seem kind of odd otherwise actually). But even from a Brogame perspective weapons for the player don't really make much sense.

If they wanted to go with weapons they should have gone Road-Rash style and just kept the rest. SSX 1 in particular really did have kind of a Road Rash feel to it with the combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom