• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX: Deadly Descents - 2011 - Trailer - [Update: Website & Description]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSLAEV

"Wow should expand upon what made SSX Tricky *the* definitive snowboarding video game? Colorful Characters? upbeat music? an extensive trick system? Impossible fantasy environments? Bright, lighthearted fun?"

"Naaah, I think we should get 'Army of One' with this bitch. Fire up the Dudebro machine!"

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I thought this was going to be some kind of parody. fuck you tom clancy.

EDIT: saw the video. Looks hilariously stupid. 'i'm not going to make it! not without my WINGSUIT!'

RSLAEV said:
"Wow should expand upon what made SSX Tricky *the* definitive snowboarding video game? Colorful Characters? upbeat music? an extensive trick system? Impossible fantasy environments? Bright, lighthearted fun?"

"Naaah, I think we should get 'Army of One' with this bitch. Fire up the Dudebro machine!"
SSX 3 > Tricky.

j00 know it.

not sure how i feel about the story but long snowboarding runs on dangerous mountains sounds like it could be similar to the 30 minute runs you could do in SSX3.

ScOULaris

Of all the genres yet to have the "gritty realism" filter applied to them, I thought that snowboarding would at least be safe.

Leave it to EA to sacrifice a beloved series in order to cater to fuckhead teenagers.

We've all been asking for a current-gen SSX, but I guess we should've just kept our mouths shut. Be careful what you wish for... you just might get a fucked up version of it.

Can we just agree that Tricky and 3 are both better than this? :lol Slowly devolving to the whole Tricky vs 3 debate that we've all seen before.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AlphaTwo00 said:
Can we just agree that Tricky and 3 are both better than this? :lol Slowly devolving to the whole Tricky vs 3 debate that we've all seen before.
It is mandatory for any SSX thread. But I agree that it's immaterial here. And I love both, just to put that on the record again.

there are not enough x's in xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxtreme to represent the fucked up priorities that went into producing that trailer (and it would seem, the art direction and theme of this game)

AlphaTwo00 said:

I haven't played this yet so I really can't make that call.

I really hope there is a campaign with normal SSX events that you have to play to build up funding for your silly dudebro adventures on the peaks. I think I could handle that.

Also I find the wingsuit kind of appealing... could lead to all sorts of shortcuts etc

Well, while it's a different situation, Advance Wars took a huge turn with Days of Ruin and that turned out well. But then again, AW was defined by awesome gameplay, not its light-heartedness.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Neuromancer said:
This stuff is getting out of hand, can we get a thread title change? :lol
Yes, I didn't think people would take it seriously. :lol

A Link to the Snitch said:
Well, while it's a different situation, Advance Wars took a huge turn with Days of Ruin and that turned out well. But then again, AW was defined by awesome gameplay, not its light-heartedness.
It also helps that Days of Ruin had like some of the best art ever.

Xun

I have an extremely strong urge to play the old SSX games.

I just have to set up my PS2...

Damn you PS3 for not letting me play PS2 games! :(

A Link to the Snitch said:
SSX Tricky and SSX 3 were defined by their awesome gameplay. to me anyway.

this teaser may have a more serious visual style, but it doesn't look like they're turning it into a sim or anything.

will anyone miss DJ Atomika?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Cerberus said:
The description for the game scares me more than the teaser.

A story? In my SSX? What the fuck. That better not mean cutscenes and dialogue featuring celebrity talent.

SSX always had voices by celebrity talent.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Take away the SSX name and I'm sure you guys would be into that description. It sounds like an awesome game. The SSX license is awkward, but going down a mountain with those dangerous variables in place sounds really fun.

BobsRevenge said:
Take away the SSX name and I'm sure you guys would be into that description. It sounds like an awesome game. The SSX license is awkward, but going down a mountain with those dangerous variables in place sounds really fun.
Yep I agree 100%. But yeah most people are upset about the SSX branding. And to be fair there still may be elements of the old "SSX" we just don't know about yet.

Karish

If EA was smart they would release one of those HD compilations of all the SSX games (or just 1-3) to appease the fans.

Last night, I had a dream I was playing this game.

If the game ends up being like it was in my dream, you guys have nothing to worry about. It was excellent!

-PXG- said:
Rahzel >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. DJ Atomika

I say this in every SSX thread, but even if this SSX turns out terrible, the least EA can do is get Rahzel on the phone and get him to do some new music.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Neuromancer said:
Yep I agree 100%. But yeah most people are upset about the SSX branding. And to be fair there still may be elements of the old "SSX" we just don't know about yet.
Well, all we have is a CG trailer, so I would certainly hope there is more we don't know about yet. :lol

What's up with the dead silence after the VGAs this year? I know people don't want to distract from their holiday titles and everything, but this is a bit ridiculous.

Are they literally all waiting to be featured in Game Informer's January issue despite not getting the cover?

BobsRevenge said:

Considering I haven't been remotely interested in any snowboarding games since SSX3, nope, that doesn't apply for me. The party atmosphere. and large character personalities/rivalries in Tricky and, to a lesser extent, SSX3 were like half of the reason I loved the games. Without those, unless this is an exceptional game, I won't really be that excited for it.

Net_Wrecker said:
Considering I haven't been remotely interested in any snowboarding games since SSX3, nope, that doesn't apply for me. The party atmosphere. and large character personalities/rivalries in Tricky and, to a lesser extent, SSX3 were like half of the reason I loved the games. Without those, unless this is an exceptional game, I won't really be that excited for it.

Bingo.

Nirolak said:
What's up with the dead silence after the VGAs this year? I know people don't want to distract from their holiday titles and everything, but this is a bit ridiculous.
It is ridiculous, I feel like usually there's this deluge of information after the initial reveal. Who knows. I'd really like to know more about this game, since most of the other VGA reveals are more or less 'known quantities.'

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Nirolak said:
It probably is just this time of year. Either that or they are changing things. :D
Yeah... no.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
CurseoftheGods said:
So is SSX: First Descent probably going to be for the Wii or handhelds?
I hope so. I want there to be multiple games. Maybe one of them will get it right. A good SSX on 3DS would be tasty as well.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
The Wii one will have colorful graphics (like the Need For Speed series), but will have horrible controls.

The PS360 version will have great controls... but that's it.

Drinky Crow said:
there are not enough x's in xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxtreme to represent the fucked up priorities that went into producing that trailer (and it would seem, the art direction and theme of this game)
holy shit, I think I actually agree with you for once...

farnham

Banned
StarEye said:
The Wii one will have colorful graphics (like the Need For Speed series), but will have horrible controls.

The PS360 version will have great controls... but that's it.
blur controls, outside of the funky ubers, worked great imo

I'm going to wait for in-game footage before I decide which camp I'm in. People have been desperate for a new SSX game, they get it, and now they don't want it?

I think a lot of people just want a HD release of Tricky or 3 on XBLA or PSN.

Diablos

Ummm... why are they doing this?

SSX was fine as is. It doesn't need fine tuning. Just give us legitimate next-gen SSX, not Call of Duty SSX.

Honestly, I'd rather they just kept it in the dark indefinitely if this is all they ever had up their sleeve. Appalling and sad.

Icarus

I'm not getting all the hate. I loved the original SSX series. While it's not the same, I could very well like this one too.

bdouble said:
kinda lame what they are doing here. So are you even going to be racing?
According to their Facebook page there will still be tricks and racing.

bridegur said:
At this point, the style doesn't really worry me as much as thinking about how they plan to ruin the controls.
Even if they go for skate style controls I don't think it'd be the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom