• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX: Deadly Descents - 2011 - Trailer - [Update: Website & Description]

Status
Not open for further replies.
big_z said:
someone in the industry mentioned in a podcast recently that this SSX was designed around marketing in an attempt to boost sales and revive the franchise.
you might want a return of the festival vibe but the kiddies want COD on ice and thats what we're getting.

Here's the thing the companies are not understanding...the "kiddies" and general casuals who buy COD are closed-minded and do not walk outside of their comfort zone, their tradition, what they're used to. Most of them will not buy a snowboarding game no matter what it has on it, even if they are toting M4's and blowing each other to bits with C4 thrown at other boarders (giving them ideas giving them ideas). They will buy COD and maybe something else or two and that's it for the year.

This generation we have seen more than ever publishers sacrificing their creativity because they don't want to take risks. Time and time again "no risks" were taken with "cool" and "mature" things like Bionic Commando 2009, but the fact remains that the "kiddies" only buy a few games per year and it's always going to be something they're used to.

In short, they should have yes, made a big return of SSX in the style of Tricky and mixes of SSX3, full of flavor, clever cheesiness and personality at the same time sleek, clean and sophisticated.
They went the "no risk" route and this won't meet amazing sales, because the SSX fans are disgruntled, and the "kiddies" (the 'targets) are closed-minded.

So what will happen if the game turns out amazing? Will people still bitch and moan about it, no matter the gameplay?

skip said:
we'll have a corresponding EGMi cover that should hit on (or around) the 7th.

Some time ago there was a video of EGM on the iPad. Any plans to still do that? Or at least a digital PDF version for those of us outside the US?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Vinterbird said:
So what will happen if the game turns out amazing? Will people still bitch and moan about it, no matter the gameplay?
doubtful. gaf is pretty good about ditching preconceptions of a game. the most classic example in my mind is pac-man ce which was mocked mercilessly pre-release (justifiably imo considering the pathetic milking streak the franchise was on) and became a gaf sacred cow once everyone saw it was awesome. there are several other examples too that don't immediately spring to mind.

right now people that are criticizing are criticizing what has been shown so far. that's what happens when you put promos out into the wild rite you hope for a positive reaction and sometimes get a negative one. no one follows the dyack rule of if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Vinterbird said:
I don't think people will be unwilling to eat the crow when deserved.

But I think the chances of this game and its soulless, generic aesthetic being as fun as previous SSX games is pretty low.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Princess Skittles said:
I don't think people will be unwilling to eat the crow when deserved.

But I think the chances of this game and its soulless, generic aesthetic being as fun as previous SSX games is pretty low.
i don't even think it's crow in most cases. if people don't dig the style as it has been presented so far then they just don't, and people have given many reasons supporting this opinion (just like a few people have given reasons supporting the opposite opinion). if the gameplay is great or if the style becomes more appealing to them as more is revealed that doesn't mean they were wrong in their initial assessments.

skip

Vinterbird said:
Some time ago there was a video of EGM on the iPad. Any plans to still do that? Or at least a digital PDF version for those of us outside the US?

I know patrick and I have both been saying "soon" on the iPad app for the last few months, but we are very close to it.

skip said:
I know patrick and I have both been saying "soon" on the iPad app for the last few months, but we are very close to it.

Great!

Will it be the magazine or the EGMi thingy (whats the difference content wise?)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
AltogetherAndrews said:
Seems like this is the real SSX these days. Go EA for having the balls to try new things.
No. Call of Duty: Snowboarding Edition is not new and creative. Creative would actually be doing what SSX already did because there is a complete lack of this this generation on the HD platforms.

Fantastical said:
No. Call of Duty: Snowboarding Edition is not new and creative. Creative would actually be doing what SSX already did because there is a complete lack of this this generation on the HD platforms.
Come on now son.

Also I really fail to see how this is Call of Duty: Snowboarding Edition. I don't see a gun anywhere. It's not an FPS. I mean I know we're all using it as a joke but it's getting a little tired now.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Go EA for having the balls to try new things.

next up from EA's creative new direction: The Sims: Goin' To War, where you can put your Sim through training camp and experience the real military lifestyle while engaging in tactical combat with your friends

i would keep this gag going for longer but it's actually surprisingly hard to think of recent successful EA franchises that are light-hearted

charlequin said:
next up from EA's creative new direction: The Sims: Goin' To War, where you can put your Sim through training camp and experience the real military lifestyle while engaging in tactical combat with your friends

i would keep this gag going for longer but it's actually surprisingly hard to think of recent successful EA franchises that are light-hearted
As long as it didn't lock up on you every time you tried to save, this would be better than Sims 3 on console.

charlequin said:

I would play that Sims game.

(Also, Boom Blox is prime for a dudebro reboot)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't think anyone is saying it has the mechanics of an FPS, just a very specific and easily identifiable grimey dark "realistic" look that is often found in many modern FPS games. Some people have thought that this line from EA insinuates that there will be actiony elements but I'm not ready to go that far myself:
"And the mountain isn’t the only danger players will face"

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Neuromancer said:
Also I really fail to see how this is Call of Duty: Snowboarding Edition. I don't see a gun anywhere. It's not an FPS. I mean I know we're all using it as a joke but it's getting a little tired now.
Not in gameplay, in style. (The "GO GO GO", the grey / brown colors, and serious mood of the trailer and gritty look, "we're not alone")

And I think expanding on what SSX already did last generation would be creative and a breath of fresh air from a largely dudebro (again in style, the seriousness) company and, right now, industry.

skip

Vinterbird said:
Great!

Will it be the magazine or the EGMi thingy (whats the difference content wise?)

EGMi, as well as the ability to look at past print issues (I believe...). EGMi has complementary and unique content that syncs up with the print issue.

Am I the only one just excited for a snowboard game? I realize this looks nothing like old SSX's but why not wait and get more information? I must admit that trailer was disheartening but I still pray it may be totally awesome.

jetsetfluken said:
Here's the thing the companies are not understanding...the "kiddies" and general casuals who buy COD are closed-minded and do not walk outside of their comfort zone, their tradition, what they're used to. Most of them will not buy a snowboarding game no matter what it has on it, even if they are toting M4's and blowing each other to bits with C4 thrown at other boarders (giving them ideas giving them ideas). They will buy COD and maybe something else or two and that's it for the year.

This generation we have seen more than ever publishers sacrificing their creativity because they don't want to take risks. Time and time again "no risks" were taken with "cool" and "mature" things like Bionic Commando 2009, but the fact remains that the "kiddies" only buy a few games per year and it's always going to be something they're used to.

In short, they should have yes, made a big return of SSX in the style of Tricky and mixes of SSX3, full of flavor, clever cheesiness and personality at the same time sleek, clean and sophisticated.
They went the "no risk" route and this won't meet amazing sales, because the SSX fans are disgruntled, and the "kiddies" (the 'targets) are closed-minded.

Here's the thing. You're wrong. If that was true there'd be a few games out there. VERY FEW games out there. Instead we have 100's released in a year. Unless everybody that buys COD only buys COD and the other 1/2 of the gaming population makes up the entirety of gamings purchases.

Oh, and SSX fans aren't "disgruntled". I thought Tricky was fun and fantastic but stupid. I wanted it to be like the superior SSX3 which by all accounts, is what we're getting in this. I'm an SSX fan and I disagree that everybody is "disgruntled" ... it's all just knee-jerk reaction to a fucking picture and statement. We haven't seen gameplay, we haven't seen screenshots, we haven't seen shit.

It's still snowboarding and if they can revamp the SSX "brand" while still making the actual snowboarding part of the game fun, then I'm all for it.

All these "SSX fans" shouldn't care about how it's wrapped, they should care about how it's played.

Seriously, it's just what is hot in gaming right now. Think of last generation with all the cuddly cartoon characters, Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Abe (heh), ... yet those were in "our time" so those are the "classics" ...

jkanownik

Brobzoid said:
Also, ice axes are a potentially incredibly cool addition to a SSX game. We could end up with fucking Prince of Persia style wall-running with a snowboard or somesuch shit. Then bust out into a wingsuit glide through a mine field of falling pieces of ice or an avalanche or whatevs X-treme crazy ass MNT DEW shit snowboarders fantasize during their weed infused ski-hut after-parties these days.

I'm in if the majority of the game is the hallucination of a weed infused snowboarder and the game begins with a scene in the ski hut. MNT DEW sponsorship would be a plus but is not required.

Azih

flyinpiranha said:
All these "SSX fans" shouldn't care about how it's wrapped, they should care about how it's played.
Right, so you would be just fine with the game if it was just a wireframe with bloops for sound effects as long as it played the same?

Zachack

charlequin said:

Bad Company, in the sense that movies like Commando or Lethal Weapon or The Other Guys aren't like Black Hawk Down or Dirty Harry.
Boom Blox
Burnout (I'd argue that Paradise is more like SSXT/3 than previous entries)
Rock Band
Spore

TheExecutive said:
Am I the only one just excited for a snowboard game? I realize this looks nothing like old SSX's but why not wait and get more information? I must admit that trailer was disheartening but I still pray it may be totally awesome.
No. Last gen we were up to our ears in snowboarding games but this gen has been pretty thin.

If you haven't tried Stoked: Big Air Edition (360) you should, it's a cool game. More trick/score based but there is a little racing too.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
jkanownik said:
I'm in if the majority of the game is the hallucination of a weed infused snowboarder and the game begins with a scene in the ski hut. MNT DEW sponsorship would be a plus but is not required.

EA should license Eternal Darkness' sanity meter for when you ride those peaks that are so high the oxygen is too thin as well. million point achievements and friend requests from jimi hendrix as you ride down the rainbow colored mountain alongside a mountain goat with a beer helmet.

Fixed1979

Vinterbird said:

Unless the pictures are from the top of the mountain, and at the bottom is Tokyo Megaplex (or the like) then yes, I will continue to bitch that this is not SSX. Judging just by the trailer I'd almost be surprised if they left in the red, orange and yellow snowflakes.

I know there's alot of negative post that can't believe that this game has a link the the SSX franchise, it's still possible for the game to be good...

Chamber

love on your sleeve
flyinpiranha said:
Oh, and SSX fans aren't "disgruntled". I thought Tricky was fun and fantastic but stupid. I wanted it to be like the superior SSX3 which by all accounts, is what we're getting in this.
I'd be the happiest guy ever if this turns out like SSX3 but I still don't know how anyone is getting that impression.

Chamber said:
I'd be the happiest guy ever if this turns out like SSX3 but I still don't know how anyone is getting that impression.
Mainly because as someone pointed out earlier is this is how they advertised SSX3 for the most part - fighting a mountain, dodging obstacles ... I didn't really remember it until somebody pointed it out either.

Azih said:
Right, so you would be just fine with the game if it was just a wireframe with bloops for sound effects as long as it played the same?

Ohh! Extremes! Fun! I guess sure, why not? Come on, you know what I mean. But if it played the same it would be a little more than wireframes and bloops and bleeps now wouldn't it? So you contradicted yourself.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
flyinpiranha said:
Mainly because as someone pointed out earlier is this is how they advertised SSX3 for the most part - fighting a mountain, dodging obstacles ... I didn't really remember it until somebody pointed it out either.
SSX3 talked about conquering the mountain. Deadly Descents says its about surviving the mountain (and whatever else) which has different connotations. Plus the lighthearted nature of that game was still apparent in the teaser trailer with the shot of all the familiar characters and "Higher Ground" playing in the background. There's nothing in the DD trailer that would make you think of SSX.

Londa

Banned
I read the comments before I viewed the video. I was prepared for the worse but after seeing it, I'm thinking... Is that it?

Some people go to the serious extreme on these forums. Nothing looks too bad to me. Just a little bit over the top with jumping out of a helicopter and then later sky diving. I think, if done right, it could be fun.

Chamber said:
SSX3 talked about conquering the mountain. Deadly Descents says its about surviving the mountain (and whatever else) which has different connotations. Plus the lighthearted nature of that game was still apparent in the teaser trailer with the shot of all the familiar characters and "Higher Ground" playing in the background. There's nothing in the DD trailer that would make you think of SSX.

And I didn't really find Tricky to be of the same style as 1 either. They went way over the top and brought it somewhat back to earth with 3.

Either way, it's SSX and if they don't fuck up the actual gameplay I could give a shit what they do with it. Tricky wasn't exactly what I wanted in a sequel but it was a blast to play. SSX3 was what I wanted and that was a blast to play too.

Sure, I won't think of SSX ... I also don't think of old school Fallout when I look at 3, doesn't mean it's a bad game.

I will wait and see but it's been since SSX3/Amped 2 since we've had even a remotely good snowboarding game so I'm staying hopeful they don't fuck it up ... while I guess others are already assuming it's fucked from a snippet of a CGI and a press release.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
If I hated SSX I'd love this game just like I love the new DmC because I hated the old Devil May Cry games...What is up with publishers alienating old fans to "do something new" ? This game could actually be good it's still not what most SSX fans want

You know as much as people like to think this game is some cold, calculated, focus-tested product dreamed up at a board meeting by a bunch of suits, I think it's very possible the designers just wanted to do something new. I mean yeah, you could basically make Tricky 2 or SSX 3.5, with new tracks and maybe a few new characters and that's it (and I'd personally have been cool with that, for what its worth) maybe to a new designer and a new team that sounds kind of onerous. You know, getting their chance to change up the formula and make their mark and that kind of thing. Just something to think about.

And I know the followup comment to that is probably "That's fine but don't call it SSX" but that's unrealistic. EA has one snowboarding series and that's SSX. It'd be stupid financially of them to not to call it an SSX game.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
flyinpiranha said:
And I didn't really find Tricky to be of the same style as 1 either. They went way over the top and brought it somewhat back to earth with 3.

Either way, it's SSX and if they don't fuck up the actual gameplay I could give a shit what they do with it. Tricky wasn't exactly what I wanted in a sequel but it was a blast to play. SSX3 was what I wanted and that was a blast to play too.

Sure, I won't think of SSX ... I also don't think of old school Fallout when I look at 3, doesn't mean it's a bad game.

I will wait and see but it's been since SSX3/Amped 2 since we've had even a remotely good snowboarding game so I'm staying hopeful they don't fuck it up ... while I guess others are already assuming it's fucked from a snippet of a CGI and a press release.
SSX 3 is just as over the top as Tricky. The difference was with the back country runs that added a calming element to the frenetic trick and race competitions. Well, that and they got rid of that obnoxious Run DMC song.

As for the rest of this topic, yeah, basically the DmC argument. Can't just put out a press release and a generic teaser trailer and expect fans to get excited.

flyinpiranha said:

Do you really want to play the game where I scan through your posting history, identify games you probably liked, and then suggest obviously ludicrous changes to the audiovisual style, tone, and themes of each until you admit that presentation is a legitimate element of what someone might like about an individual game or series?

flyinpiranha said:
Mainly because as someone pointed out earlier is this is how they advertised SSX3 for the most part

Well, except for the part where that wasn't really true and people dug up actual advertisements for SSX3 to demonstrate the difference.

Oh god, they couldn't even find a way to make that cover interesting. I never thought I'd call an SSX game generic or say it looks like everything else on the market...

...it looks like everything else on the market ;_;

charlequin said:
Do you really want to play the game where I scan through your posting history, identify games you probably liked, and then suggest obviously ludicrous changes to the audiovisual style, tone, and themes of each until you admit that presentation is a legitimate element of what someone might like about an individual game or series?
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Here's the thing - with the SSX3 trailer, without seeing the name, you still know it's SSX. It's obvious. Watch this one - if we didn't know it was called SSX, nobody would have thought it was related in any way. It doesn't even really look like a snowboarding game; take out "SSX" and your preconceived notions of what that means, and it could very well be a military game that just happens to take place high up in the mountains.

What really sucks is, let's say SSX fans hate the new game style once it comes out, and non-SSX fans don't like whatever SSX-like stuff is in it, and the game bombs. A company like EA will say "Guess nobody likes SSX anymore, let's never make an SSX game again."

Banned
jetsetfluken said:

Prince of Persia

Neuromancer said:
Really? Everything? I don't know games you've been playing lately.

Style, not the fact that there's a snowboard under his feet. Look with your eyes and tell me it looks distinct or has any personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom