• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX: Deadly Descents - 2011 - Trailer - [Update: Website & Description]

Status
Not open for further replies.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
_dementia said:
Where's the personality? :(
Well, the dude is wearing an orange jacket. That right there makes it more colorful than most games of this generation, at least.

The only complaint I have about the guy on the cover (same guy from the trailer as far as I can tell) are the shoulder pads. Which seem totally unnecessary.

Everything else kind of looks awesome to me. The hood, the mask, the ice axes, and so on. I'm actually pretty excited about this game and I won't let GAF's pessimism and bad jokes bring me down.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
AltogetherAndrews said:
167714_173513269353517_112224572149054_339299_2112518_n.jpg

Can't wait
ibvQay.gif

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Neuromancer said:
The only complaint I have about the guy on the cover (same guy from the trailer as far as I can tell) are the shoulder pads. Which seem totally unnecessary.

Everything else kind of looks awesome to me. The hood, the mask, the ice axes, and so on. I'm actually pretty excited about this game and I won't let GAF's pessimism and bad jokes bring me down.
No. No. No. No. No.

plufim

Because this cover further reinforces the direction the teaser hinted the game was going.

SSX was all about colours and afros and stupid impossible tricks down completely impossible terrain. None of this was apparent in the teaser and now the cover.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Credit where credit's due for an SSX cover that doesn't focus on character, the snowboard, or a mountain, though.

plufim said:
Because this cover further reinforces the direction the teaser hinted the game was going.

SSX was all about colours and afros and stupid impossible tricks down completely impossible terrain. None of this was apparent in the teaser and now the cover.

No, it wasn't. Once upon a time, perhaps, but that was then. Then came other stuff, and this is now.

Not that I believe that it will be ALL glacial/peak terrain and the look that comes with that, but I don't expect many oversized pinball machines here.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
ice axes, wing suits, dude bros of the cod persuasion... I'm real excited for this.

It doesn't have to be over the top in the same way as the previous games, as long as it's ridiculous enough, and it seems it's going to be. Plus the graphical style might just net us some nice looking snow effects.

We can play Tricky/3 in HD when the PS2 emulator gets those running proper. It's not like those games had any drastic flaws that needed iterating upon. A new title that takes a new direction is A-OK by me.

V_Ben

Banned
Far as I can tell, the only thing separating that magazine cover from the SSX I know and love is a comically oversized afro and a visible face.

Fantastical said:
Oh yeah, I forgot Eddie should have used ice picks in Tricky after he did the FUCKING WORM ON A SNOWBOARD.

That's obviously not the game they are making. That one has already been made, this is a new game, with what is evidently a new take on things. Daring fellas, those EA dudes.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
AltogetherAndrews said:
That's obviously not the game they are making. That one has already been made, this is a new game, with what is evidently a new take on things. Daring fellas, those EA dudes.
And I already commented that I don't like the direction this new development team has taken this game in.

I don't really understand what you're arguing. I should just accept it and not criticize it?

Fantastical said:
And I already commented that I don't like the direction this new development team has taken this game in.

I don't really understand what you're arguing. I should just accept it and not criticize it?

Nah, you should praise it.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Also, ice axes are a potentially incredibly cool addition to a SSX game. We could end up with fucking Prince of Persia style wall-running with a snowboard or somesuch shit. Then bust out into a wingsuit glide through a mine field of falling pieces of ice or an avalanche or whatevs X-treme crazy ass MNT DEW shit snowboarders fantasize during their weed infused ski-hut after-parties these days.

Also pt 2: Even if this ends up being a straight-laced snowboarding game; so what? it's not like the market is flooded with those either. Whether it's Amped 4 or SSX 5, it's nice to have something new.

stay positive y'all.

V_Ben

Banned
Brobzoid said:
Also, ice axes are a potentially incredibly cool addition to a SSX game. We could end up with fucking Prince of Persia style wall-running with a snowboard or somesuch shit. Then bust out into a wingsuit glide through a mine field of falling pieces of ice or an avalanche or whatevs X-treme crazy ass MNT DEW shit snowboarders fantasize during their weed infused ski-hut after-parties these days.

Oh, DAMN IT. That does sound kinda cool...

Replicant

Boring cover is likely a premonition of what's coming.

Not going to touch this with a 10-foot pole unless I hear some positive reviews from gamers themselves (as opposed to reviewers, who can and are likely to be bribed).

V_Ben

Banned
613FMSRTCML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It was a fun port of the PS2 version, with decent controls and a relatively stable frame rate. It was fun, and it isn't on the EU PSN (all I could check on my PSP. Sorry), because EA doesn't want my money :/

Fantastical said:

I think you should at least wait and see what the game actually is. Let's face it, when it comes to moment to moment gameplay none of us have any real idea of how it'll play out.

V_Ben said:

It was a fun port of the PS2 version, with decent controls and a relatively stable frame rate. It was fun, and it isn't on the EU PSN (all I could check on my PSP. Sorry), because EA doesn't want my money :/
Ooh I may have to try that someday.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Neuromancer said:
I think you should at least wait and see what the game actually is. Let's face it, when it comes to moment to moment gameplay none of us have any real idea of how it'll play out.
True, but EA needs to release some goddamn footage of the game.
So my hate can be justified. :lol

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
V_Ben said:

Never played the console versions, but I can vouch that the PSP version of On Tour was really good. Heard it had a different developer than the other ones.

big_z

plufim said:

someone in the industry mentioned in a podcast recently that this SSX was designed around marketing in an attempt to boost sales and revive the franchise.
you might want a return of the festival vibe but the kiddies want COD on ice and thats what we're getting.

big_z said:
someone in the industry mentioned in a podcast recently that this SSX was designed around marketing in an attempt to boost sales and revive the franchise.
you might want a return of the festival vibe but the kiddies want COD on ice and thats what we're getting.
I hope those people who decided have a good backup plan when no one buys.

Aaron

big_z said:
No. The kiddies want COD. This focus tested shit is certain doom.

big_z said:

The kiddies can kick rocks. I want my festival atmosphere, and big personalities.

I can already tell they're going for this action movie atmosphere, probably accompanied by some wannabe Hans Zimmer-like soundtrack where "The COURSE IS YOUR ENEMY" and you must dodge certain death by using ICE PICKS to climbs to new areas of the mountain, and feud with a NEW PEAK!

I'm mad.

soultron

Banned
God you guys are so negative. Wait for previews before you shit on this one.

I'm hyped. There aren't a tonne of decent snowboarding games out there these days (last one I played was Amped3) so this is very much welcome. If the look is well-executed and not too overbearing, I'll be quite pleased.

If I want the old SSX, I'll go back and play those games. They're still around and are dirt cheap.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AltogetherAndrews said:
Seems like this is the real SSX these days. Go EA for having the balls to try new things.
yeah three cheers for ea for this groundbreaking new style. truly ballsy. that video and cover just scream creative bravery

FYI: I have both the PSP and PS2 version of SSX On Tour.

The PSP version is better, mainly due to the fact that it contains all three of the all peak races featured in SSX3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom