• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX: Deadly Descents - 2011 - Trailer - [Update: Website & Description]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bridegur

Neuromancer said:
Even if they go for skate style controls I don't think it'd be the end of the world.

The Skate controls are okay enough, but they aren't great, which the regular SSX controls are. Plus, dealing with Skate's system while speeding down a hill sounds awful.

bridegur said:
The Skate controls are okay enough, but they aren't great, which the regular SSX controls are. Plus, dealing with Skate's system while speeding down a hill sounds awful.
Don't know Iif you ever played Stoked but they did a job job with those kinds of controls. It was more trick based and less racing, though.

RiverBed

Banned
Skate controls isn't accurate enough for an arcady SSX. I need random QTEs ala how the great SSX Tricky did it. I could never get into another SSX game at all since the control change from Tricky.
My highest score in the tricky in a single race was 1,400,000 points- which I don't think was too shabby at all. Probably puts me in the top world ranking.

Are any of the GameCube SSX games worth playing? I was planning to check out the series for the first time with this new game, but it isn't at all what I was looking for, so I'm going to play one of the old ones instead.

bridegur

Sharkington said:
Are any of the GameCube SSX games worth playing? I was planning to check out the series for the first time with this new game, but it isn't at all what I was looking for, so I'm going to play one of the old ones instead.

Start with SSX3.

Sharkington said:

Play SSX3. It's the best of the series, and the GameCube port of Tricky is kind of shitty.

gondee

EA generally hasn't been real big on uprezzing and rereleasing their older games, wonder why.
I don't know about other games, but I have to wonder if the licensing issues surrounding the extensive soundtrack of the SSX games wouldn't be a major hurdle to releasing a SSX Collection.

Anyone got any opinion on this? It seems to me the cost of re-releasing a collection of 3 games with that many licensed songs (how many, greater than 50? More than 75?) would be a major issue with costs. I remember talking to an SSX 3 developer and asking him why they didn't include voices with the SSX Tricky character models in SSX 3. According to him, the costs (ie. paying the voice actors again for using the material in another game) associated with reusing the sound clips was too high to warrant it. I wonder if the same thing would apply to soundtracks.

Game2Death said:
Never palyed an SSX game.

So should I get SSX 3, or Tricky? And for Ps2, played on a Ps3, or Xbox on a 360?
Hmm opinions seem to be split, personally I liked Tricky better but a lot of people liked 3 better. I do know that Tricky isn't backwards compatible on the 360 but 3 is.

As long as your PS3 has backwards compatibility of course you should be able to play either.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Game2Death said:
Never palyed an SSX game.

So should I get SSX 3, or Tricky? And for Ps2, played on a Ps3, or Xbox on a 360?
I think you should get both. :p

I would get Tricky first. SSX 3 is my favorite, but I feel like Tricky is a better introduction since it makes an immediate introduction of the craziness of SSX. I think SSX 3 is a better game, but SSX Tricky is crazier, and you should really experience that before SSX 3.

Also, get them on PS2. They are cheaper and the better versions.

Aaron

I like Tricky more because it was mainly focused on racing, and you didn't have to waste time with the semi-open world bullshit. Also the courses were crazy.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Aaron said:
I like Tricky more because it was mainly focused on racing, and you didn't have to waste time with the semi-open world bullshit. Also the courses were crazy.
Some people like that semi-open world bullshit. :D

BPK

Just re-played SSX 3 and Tricky and I'm floored by how well they've aged. In fact, I think I had more fun with 3 last night than I've had with any ps3 game in a long time.

Re-watching this trailer also really pisses me off. Everything that was great about SSX seems to have gone out the window. SSX isn't supposed to be some dark, adventure game...but a racing game that doesn't take itself seriously. Carving down an iceberg in Hawaii, racing on snow brought to a desert, racing through a snowed-in city at night, this is what makes SSX great. The game is supposed to be colourful, unrealistic, and cartoony.

Sigh, I guess it was too much to hope for that they'd make an effort to reassemble the original SSX team for a next-gen reboot. This team clearly doesn't understand what made SSX great. To this day, SSX 3 is my favourite game of all time.

While I really hate everything about that trailer....REALLY hate...I don't care. I love SSX so much that as long as the controls are okay and the tracks are okay I know I'll play it anyway. Pathetic. :(

Someday we will get the perfect Tricky/3 hybrid...someday....

Colonel Mustard said:
They work just fine. As do the ubers. Unless you have some Michael J Fox-level limbshake going on. >_>
Blur's controls made the game way to freaking easy. You don't even have to think about the moves you are doing, you just swing the controller around randomly. The actual snowboarding feels great, but the tricks are way too loose, I don't feel like I'm controlling the trick at all (compared to SSX 3 where I felt I had perfect control over every move my boarder made).

Gek54

Tricky has more technical controls, tricks are harder to pull off but the fact that you have more control over them makes them that much more rewarding. Tricky's controls in SSX3 world would have been perfect.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
For the people who are thinking about buying Tricky, please do so.

And make sure you choose a character by the name of JP. He has the signature uber trick of the fucking forever.

BPK

God I wish the newer ps3s would introduce some kind of software backwards compatibility for ps2 titles. My ps3 in the city where I study is new so it doesn't play ps2 games, whereas the one I have at home (where I am now for Christmas) is a launch system. Been playing SSX 3 for the last two nighs with my sisters. Absolutely amazing how well this game still plays and looks (progressive scan helps with that).

God I hate EA.

It's probably too much to hope for that some of the new team are original members from the old EA Big team. It would be comforting to know that somebody designing SSX Descent actually understands what made the series phenomenal to begin with.

MCX

Banned
Skate controls killed any and all interest I had in this game. Fuck EA, and fuck this generation...worst ever.

Seems like First Descent might have been a better name, given what they talk about in the PR. Being the first to claim the runs, and such. But it's not as catchy, I suppose.

Xun

AltogetherAndrews said:
Seems like First Descent might have been a better name, given what they talk about in the PR. Being the first to claim the runs, and such. But it's not as catchy, I suppose.
It may still exist for all we know, or could even be a remake of the first game (doubt it though).

Or a Wii game...

agm2502

Would love a HD classic release for the old SSX, loved SSX Tricky when it came out. Been waiting for a decent snowboard game for ages.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Neuromancer said:
Or for handhelds. Maybe even the 3DS.
That would be so amazing if it came out well.

It could also be some kind of prequel DLC, but I seriously doubt that. Seems like a weird title to do that with.

Xun said:
It may still exist for all we know, or could even be a remake of the first game (doubt it though).

Or a Wii game...

Well, I mean, the term means something, as in the first descent down a certain mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd8AJdcnw4A

BPK said:
It's probably too much to hope for that some of the new team are original members from the old EA Big team. It would be comforting to know that somebody designing SSX Descent actually understands what made the series phenomenal to begin with.

Isn't that exactly what they have said?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I liked the idea, saw the teaser and became a bit sceptical. I'd love the idea of a DLC campaign which featured some survival thrills, perhaps even a bit of gunplay, that built on an SSX engine. Something like if a developer on the team wanted to do something fun with the engine and got a green light to do so.

But asfar as this goes it's now offically off my radar.

BPK

An HD update of Tricky and SSX 3 loaded onto the bluray would pretty much be the only way I'd get this day 1.

167714_173513269353517_112224572149054_339299_2112518_n.jpg

Can't wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom